Bitcoin Forum
March 30, 2024, 08:29:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SCAMMER: Cablepair (Tom) from BTCFPGA.com/bitcoinasic.net  (Read 24098 times)
Salazarian

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 12:10:10 AM

Tom = scammer! Waiting STILL for scammer tag or at least to be recognized as a scammer!

The official site is DOWN and taken!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 12:15:23 AM

I got a email and call from the bank as well, they couldn't tell me exactly where the card numbers were compromised from or what even happened for that matter, but i thought there might have been a connection. I have also been issued a new debit card (the one I used to pay for my bASIC). They said that they will update me with that info once the investigation has been finished. If there is a connection I will update.

Cant do much about the bitcoin orders but the one consolation is that banks have LOTS of lawyers to go after scammers who pull pre order scams such as this using traditional banking systems. inb4 Tom's ass is mining cocks in prison.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2013, 02:09:47 AM

Wait till you learn how Pastor Tom fucked his flock.

http://www.onlinepot.org/mailing_scams/hallofshame.htm

Scammer & Blackmailer 

& He is Back Scamming Again 12-01-06

Thomas Van Riper..
address: 6811 Creek Road # 1,
Chittenango, NY 13037

or  this  address

Tom Van Riper
105 S. Berkey Drive
Chittenango NY 13037

unclejohnsband 
unclejohnsband 

He went by the name "lohnlennon" on an auction site,
Recently but he got banned from there.

Also Has a Young Nephew That's Around On The Boards
& Is Just About As Bad As His Uncle Is

email names: tomvanriper@yahoo.com

and unclejohnsband2k3@yahoo.com.

He offers to trade you high grade Canadian buds for pain killers, 
you send him the pain killers & he never sends you the buds, &
then he try's to blackmail you that if you do NOT send him more
pain killers he will turn you in for mailing narcotic pain meds with
out a prescription! 

Major Slime!
regular

Activity: 297

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 03:14:18 AM

man how come this shit only comes out after bASIC folds?
hardcore-fs

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2013, 03:21:08 AM

Great.... so maybe the CC company has MORE on this guy than they let be known......
But WTF would they issue a Credit card terminal in a situation like this?

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
Fjordbit

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2013, 03:26:36 AM

He may have started with the best intentions, but he ended with the worst of actions. I actually recommended a disabled guy with a limited government social income to use some of his last savings to buy 3 units from this guy.

Scammer tag?
dust

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2013, 03:40:38 AM

Nice find Phin!  Up until this point, I was giving Tom the benefit of the doubt.  It was very plausible that bASIC was just a failed business, and I accepted the risk that the project might fail when I preordered.  Really, the only part that bothered me was that CC customers were given preferential treatment. If Tom had been extremely transparent about the project's finances, announced the project failed, and then paid back a good chunk of the preorder money, I wouldn't even be too mad.  With the rising BTC price, it might have been possible to return a good chunk of money to customers even if a large amount of USD had been spent developing ASICs.

However, if Tom really does have a history of scamming... I can't sympathize with him.

Tom owes me ~$8600 (8x 72Gh/s, paid in BTC). I will contact a lawyer this week.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
Deprived

Activity: 532

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 05:53:29 AM

You think it would have made any difference if it came out earlier?

One of the top BFL guys is CONVICTED of scamming yet people happily send them funds.  If it came out he'd just say it was a mistake in his past / he'd been misunderstood / his email was hacked and everyone would just send him money as before.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2013, 06:01:26 AM

Pastor Tom: Walk Like an eChristian!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ROGq9yFFzA

Pastor Tom: Black Friday Bad! mkay?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drbPAcBAphU

Great title for a book: From the Pulpit to the Penitentiary.
Bitinvestor

Activity: 470

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 07:58:40 AM

That's exactly the reason why no-one should ever invest more than he can afford to lose. The dirt almost always comes to light only after the money has disappeared.

Those who cause problems for others also cause problems for themselves.
tnkflx (OP)

Activity: 349

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 09:06:38 AM

Nice find Phin!  Up until this point, I was giving Tom the benefit of the doubt.  It was very plausible that bASIC was just a failed business, and I accepted the risk that the project might fail when I preordered.  Really, the only part that bothered me was that CC customers were given preferential treatment. If Tom had been extremely transparent about the project's finances, announced the project failed, and then paid back a good chunk of the preorder money, I wouldn't even be too mad.  With the rising BTC price, it might have been possible to return a good chunk of money to customers even if a large amount of USD had been spent developing ASICs.

However, if Tom really does have a history of scamming... I can't sympathize with him.

Tom owes me ~$8600 (8x 72Gh/s, paid in BTC). I will contact a lawyer this week.

Can you let us know what the outcome is?

| Operating electrum.be & us.electrum.be |
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 12:48:11 PM

You think it would have made any difference if it came out earlier?

One of the top BFL guys is CONVICTED of scamming yet people happily send them funds.  If it came out he'd just say it was a mistake in his past / he'd been misunderstood / his email was hacked and everyone would just send him money as before.

Very much this.

That's exactly the reason why no-one should ever invest more than he can afford to lose. The dirt almost always comes to light only after the money has disappeared.

The reason is basically here. Before the scammer actually runs with the BTC, his shills are active and the bystanders are "giving the benefit of the doubt". When I pointed out that pirate was a scammer back in April 2012 people threw a fit about how "I'm unprofessionals", and pirate shills a la gigavps were trying to convince MP to fire me because of it. Meanwhile I was proven right but the same shills are still here repeating that "I'm unprofessional". Why? Because I've professionally blown their cover off with some regularity on numerous occasions, and their profession is lying so that's what they do. They're greatly helped by the fact that most people involved are both new and naive, so they're more likely to believe a lie they see from five sockpuppets than to use their heads and discover where the truth lies.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 02:09:08 PM

He may have started with the best intentions, but he ended with the worst of actions. I actually recommended a disabled guy with a limited government social income to use some of his last savings to buy 3 units from this guy.
No offense, but that was a terrible idea no matter what vendor he bought from.
Fjordbit

Activity: 588

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2013, 03:03:11 PM

Meanwhile I was proven right but the same shills are still here repeating that "I'm unprofessional".

Well, to their credit, you are a horrible troll.

No offense, but that was a terrible idea no matter what vendor he bought from.

To be a little more specific, he had made up his mind that he was going to start mining to supplement his paltry income. It was back in October, so at that time I and others told him to stay away from GPUs because of the impending reward halving. So his option was ASIC. Again he asked for advice on who to buy from. At that time Avalon was not taking orders and BFL was acting super dodgy about their missed dates. Tom was saying the right things and offered a clear cancellation policy, so I said that he was the most likely to deliver on his promises and others chimed in with agreement. Given a guy who was dead set on mining, it was the best advice with the information at the time.
dmcurser

Activity: 502

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 03:13:30 PM

if tom is still mining on btc guild cant we contact eleuthria and have him put a freeze on his account and any coins he mines have him put into a account to be used to pay us back lol.

1Q7TPBHHVmGCvqffYHpXCCBgbcBQ4NwXdW
wtfvanity

Activity: 504

WTF???

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 04:09:05 PM

Meanwhile I was proven right but the same shills are still here repeating that "I'm unprofessional".

Well, to their credit, you are a horrible troll.

+1 Maybe if you weren't such an.... asshole, maybe people would listen to you?

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 05:44:19 PM

While I do enjoy a good witch hunt, the one user to contact me about freezing funds provided a user ID which has absolutely nothing tying it to Tom/bASIC.  The account is almost 2 years old, which predates the first FPGA sales he ever made, and heavily predates ASIC offerings.

The email and username do not have anything resembling something Tom/cablepair has ever used on the forums.  Unless there is proof that the user is mining with stolen hardware, there is very little I can do aside from blocking the account from continuing to mine.  I'm not the internet police, and all it would accomplish is freezing a FEW coins, which I am in no position to distribute to any party, nor do I want to be.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 05:52:41 PM

While I do enjoy a good witch hunt, the one user to contact me about freezing funds provided a user ID which has absolutely nothing tying it to Tom/bASIC.  The account is almost 2 years old, which predates the first FPGA sales he ever made, and heavily predates ASIC offerings.

The email and username do not have anything resembling something Tom/cablepair has ever used on the forums.  Unless there is proof that the user is mining with stolen hardware, there is very little I can do aside from blocking the account from continuing to mine.  I'm not the internet police, and all it would accomplish is freezing a FEW coins, which I am in no position to distribute to any party, nor do I want to be.

It comes from a post Tom made back in October, but then again he could have been lying. If the IP connecting to your servers if from NY it's likely him though.
As far as testing on Main-net - I honestly appreciate everyone's opinions and generosity

However my stance on that is the same as it was on 09/19 as you can read here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=110290.msg1204990#msg1204990

There's just simply no need for it. It's not good for the network or my customers, and personally I think it would be really wrong to do. It would just be incredibly unethical for a mining hardware company to use hardware that is pre-ordered (paid for in full) to "test" on main-net, drive up difficulty and at the same time mine from a finite source of coins.

We had these same discussions before commercial FPGA mining devices came out, and it was not then or now hard to tell who is profiting from "testing". It's just bad news and believe me you will not see me taking part of it at all.

I have been mining on BTCguild for almost ever, my user ID is 111 all you have to do is check the hall of fame and you will see where I am at Smiley

I love Bitcoin, I have devoted the last 2 years of my life to it. This may sound corny (it already  does in my head) but I really believe in this thing and I am in it for the long haul. Essentially if it's not good for Bitcoin you will not see me doing it.

anyways I answered so many emails today and so many PM's that both my mail server and Bitcointalk are telling me I am sending too many messages, I think by tomorrow I should be fully caught up.

Looks like I need a break - going to dinner with the wife and kids if anyone really needs me your welcome to call 315-514-0269

but for the most part I am done for the day - maybe ill be around for a couple hours this evening, not sure yet.

Thank you to everyone for your support, especially those of you who have been around since the ModMiner Quad days. We could not do this without our customers - you are the absolute best and make us what we are.

bbl
Tom

Still it doesn't really mean all that much since you can't recover funds for his users.
tnkflx (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 05:55:01 PM

But maybe eleuthria can reach out to him?

tnkflx (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 05:56:54 PM

What's the 'official' BTC Guild policy on letting a known scammer mine on your pool? (If indeed user ID 111 turns out to be Tom...)

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: