Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:29:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Push based Android app alerting you when BTC index value reached (C2DM)  (Read 2291 times)
Eflite (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 03:18:50 PM

There allready exists Android apps showing the current BTC index value on your device. However, these all currently rely on polling, which drains battery power and may show 30 minute old values. Therefore I created the BTC Push Monitor, which uses Google's push API called Cloud 2 Device Messaging (C2DM). This ensures the device is notified as soon as the BTC index reaches the level your specified, without the application having to run in the background. The app does not use the Android AlarmManager API, and never has to wake the phone from Deep Sleep in order to poll. No polling is ever performed.

The application requires Android 2.2 or higher.

The app is totally free, and can be downloaded from Android Market: https://market.android.com/details?id=no.skjervold

Regards,
Eflite

https://ssl.gstatic.com/android/market/no.skjervold/hi-256-0-90b73309ca1ad0e5401e91d1d2da22f0b99dea1c

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kseistrup

Activity: 566
Merit: 500

Unselfish actions pay back better

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 03:34:17 PM

Looks cool.  However, I'd prefer just adjust the lo/hi notification levels using “number wheels” (like the native stopwatch) rather than a very long curtain menu.

Another cool feature would be to receive an alert when the current exchange reaches, say, the upper or lower quartile for the past day (or hour, or whatever the user chooses).

Thumbs up.

Cheers,

Klaus Alexander Seistrup
Eflite (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 10:22:45 PM

nice ideas. I was thinking, in addition to the High/Low values, maybe one could specify percentwise movement within some time frame. E.g, -if the index moves more than 30 percent in one day, you'll be notified.
Glad you like the app.
kseistrup

Activity: 566
Merit: 500

Unselfish actions pay back better

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2011, 10:25:12 PM

Good idea!

There's one serious issue:  If you set your lo/hi values and activate them, then press the i to see the info, then your values are gone once you use the return button to get back to the main screen.

Cheers,

Klaus Alexander Seistrup
Eflite (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 11:47:26 AM

That's a bug Smiley Thanks for making be aware of that, I'll fix it ASAP.
Cheers,
Eflite
Eflite (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 12:07:09 PM

Fixed the bug, version 1.0.17 deployed. No need to update the Android app though Smiley
cheers,
Eflite
zef

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 12:20:22 PM

I've been using this, its really nice.  Would like a way to change the alert sound though because by default it sounds like i'm getting a text message.
Eflite (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 09:05:16 AM

Hi Zef,
thanks for feedback, I'll be looking into notification sound in future updates. Currently I'm working on adding a small index chart next to the index value, to visualize recent movement in the index. Hope you like it.
Cheers,
Eflite
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 10:19:42 AM

Yup got this on my phone Smiley

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
Eflite (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 10:34:08 AM

Glad you like it guys Smiley
I just added the 1 hour index chart, let me know how it works for you.
cheers,
Eflite
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 10:12:40 AM

Bump. I still use this, daily. It's really convenient.

Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 07:46:48 AM

I just got to start using your app, thank you for this! (mighty zombiethread bump!)

When I set a one-digit limit, it is automatically changed to the tenfold:
12.2 --> 12.20
instead of 12.02..
(on ICS)

So, what has to be running to get alarms? Does the app has to stay running, like, visible in the background, or can I close it with the regular "swipe"? Or can I close it via taskmanager too? How about phone reboot?

Thank you a lot,

Ente
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 11:43:55 AM

I just got to start using your app, thank you for this! (mighty zombiethread bump!)

12.2 --> 12.20
instead of 12.02..
(on ICS)

So, what has to be running to get alarms? Does the app has to stay running, like, visible in the background, or can I close it with the regular "swipe"? Or can I close it via taskmanager too? How about phone reboot?

Thank you a lot,

Ente
Yep, that bug is present. I don't expect it to get fixed any time soon Cheesy
You don't need to keep running the app at all, as far as I know (it uses some google push notification system?), and I think it also still works when you reboot.

Ente
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 12:23:47 PM

12.2 --> 12.20
instead of 12.02..
(on ICS)

Thank you a lot,

Ente
Yep, that bug is present. I don't expect it to get fixed any time soon Cheesy
You don't need to keep running the app at all, as far as I know (it uses some google push notification system?), and I think it also still works when you reboot.

Indeed.. Bitcoinica as well as Tradehill still are in that app :-)
I first thought the app was totally broken. Figured out that actually MtGox had problems, with zero trades for some hours.

So, it seems the app works, but the author abandoned it more than a year ago.. What a shame!

Ente
Ente
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 11:53:41 AM

Sorry for the doublepost :-)

I still use that app regularly. It was indeed updated in the meanwhile, we can now enter any number we like, and Tradehill was removed.
Now we only need more exchanges, Bitstamp up front!

Let's do a bounty, I start:

I pledge 0.1 BTC for the author (or a functionally similar app on Google Play) to have Bitstamp as an alternative feed!
Oh, and make it the default feed when you're on it ;-)

Ente
lindri

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 21, 2019, 07:33:49 AM

siapa dari jawa kan ? aku baru cari app ini dari Kryptono, kue sering tradi disitu, namanya FIATO on Kryptono kalo aku gak salah linknya disini https://fiato.kryptono.exchange/ , gak tahu gimana bagus tau kan ? siapa sudah coba appnya?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: