Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:07:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL or Avalon  (Read 1644 times)
dresdenreader

Activity: 239
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 05:34:43 PM

My prediction is that BFLs will start shipping early March.

Josh keeps backing up a week from his Feb 10th date, so I wouldn't be surprised to see another week tacked on top of that. At the very least, he has said that he will be giving people vouchers/gifts as a result of being so late, I'm going to assume this only applies to the way early june/july 2012 pre-orders.

BTC - 16CCpAqNiuqVNkihfEY3UjDsR5UAFYbiMX
DARK LORD CTHULHU BE PRAISED - OFF - QgdYCLwJAE8CA287xUVi5Zkv6NN9PDaA78
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=294383.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fnordfnordfnord

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 07:14:30 PM

The most sensible thing is to order from both... if you can.

Yup getting one sooner is much better than getting one later.
fnordfnordfnord

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 07:17:04 PM

Josh keeps backing up a week from his Feb 10th date, so I wouldn't be surprised to see another week tacked on top of that. At the very least, he has said that he will be giving people vouchers/gifts as a result of being so late, I'm going to assume this only applies to the way early june/july 2012 pre-orders.

It would be nice to know what the queue looks like. In fact, without knowing where you stand in the queue, you're just gambling/hoping that yours will be delivered before too many others' come online and radically change the profitability.
dresdenreader

Activity: 239

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 07:37:51 PM

It would be nice to know what the queue looks like. In fact, without knowing where you stand in the queue, you're just gambling/hoping that yours will be delivered before too many others' come online and radically change the profitability.

Well, to give you a basic idea, I pre-ordered a Jalapeno yesterday (Feb 2nd) and I'm order #18622.

BTC - 16CCpAqNiuqVNkihfEY3UjDsR5UAFYbiMX
DARK LORD CTHULHU BE PRAISED - OFF - QgdYCLwJAE8CA287xUVi5Zkv6NN9PDaA78
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=294383.0
rpgman1

Activity: 35

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2013, 07:39:16 PM

Avalon only accepts BTC as payment, while BFL has BTC, bankwire transfer, or Paypal. I go with BFL if they'll release their ASICs since I'm interested in the Jalapeno, which looks like a Mac Mini.
fnordfnordfnord

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 09:15:02 PM

Well, to give you a basic idea, I pre-ordered a Jalapeno yesterday (Feb 2nd) and I'm order #18622.

Thanks for posting! I hope that doesn't mean that there are 18,000-ish people ahead of us, with no telling how many machines per order.
DrBiTC

Activity: 14

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 09:23:16 PM

I can only imagine how it has been for those who placed early preorders. But I am sure they will forget all about the wait when they turn their ASIC on before the difficulty shoots up.
fnordfnordfnord

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 10:41:26 PM

I can only imagine how it has been for those who placed early preorders. But I am sure they will forget all about the wait when they turn their ASIC on before the difficulty shoots up.

What do you expect the difficulty to be say.... Mid April?
fnordfnordfnord

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 10:45:08 PM

You've also got to consider BFL's lifetime warranty.

I'm sorry, but there is just no such thing as a lifetime warranty, maybe if a few of them go tits up; but, if the whole lot were to say, burn up a few weeks/months out of the box? There is no way.
fnordfnordfnord

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 10:56:13 PM

I've read that Avalon has re-opened orders, and then their store goes down immediately, again? This is nuts.
fnordfnordfnord

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 11:20:09 PM

Lol, I just noticed, BFL have posted the queue, including customer ID's good grief.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=89685.0
Fuzzy

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 05:58:34 AM

Lol, I just noticed, BFL have posted the queue, including customer ID's good grief.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=89685.0

That is a list of user submitted order information. It's only there if you post your order info on the forum.

BFL didn't post any of it.
fnordfnordfnord

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 12:55:28 PM

...user submitted order information. It's only there if you post your order info on the forum.

BFL didn't post any of it.

Okay thanks, that's better. I think it's great to let everyone have an idea of the H/s that are coming online, but it wasn't clear to me that all of the info was submitted by users. I should have paid more attention.
enkidu

Activity: 12

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 07:31:27 PM

I agree with the sentiment to buy both and spread some risk around.  I don't just mean the "which one will get a machine to you first" risk, but also longer term reliability and support.  If you have both you do add complexity to management of course, but you also have hedged yourself against something like shoddy quality.  Frankly I wouldn't worry about complexity issues much unless you're buying 10+ machines where you do have to start worrying about things like the power lines you're plugging everything into.

(I'm all BFL, but as soon as Avalon opens for the next batch of ordering I'll be investing in them as well and practicing what I preach, above).
BitcoinValet

Activity: 183

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 08:40:54 PM

I went with BFL, but is more because of my personal situation than anything else. I was gonna buy 2-3 Jalapenos, but had it in the budget mid January to put in an order for the little single SC. That gives me the most bang for my buck, even being a little over budget. If they additional shipping delays I'm confident I can get a refund a few months down the line when I would need the money more. It also seemed that the "little" single was a recent addition, so I'm not sure if it would give me a better chance of receiving it sooner.

doghouse

Activity: 19

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 10:07:43 AM

As a newbie, I've decided to go for the BFL Jalapeno. It is much cheaper than any of the the Avalon products (in terms of outlay and dipping the toes into the water, so to speak). Also, the UK customs charges will be an issue with buying something expensive from outside the EU.
I'm not expecting to ever break even on the hardware costs as the big boys will have thousands of dollars to spend on the higher end rigs, but I do hope that as I ordered the Jalapeno yesterday, it will arrive before it becomes completely obsolete! If the order number is any indication of the number in the queue, at 19XXX, it may prove to be a fool's errand! Hope not though.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: