Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:44:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: need help recovering a wallet.dat off a corrupt vmdk file  (Read 1254 times)
Keninishna (OP)

Activity: 556
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 08:13:56 AM

ok so I have a ubuntu vm that I ran bitcoind on and took several snapshots in esx a year later or esx won't boot the vm saying the vmdk file is corrupt. I managed to copy the vmdk files off the server using linux vmfs tools but still can't access the vmdk files with vmware. The base image loads up fine but doesnt have the wallet file and none of the snapshot delta files will load. Any ideas on how to get the wallet file? I know makomk has a linux wallet recovery program however I don't think I can mount the linux virtual disk. I'll throw some one a few btc if they can help me get my wallet.dat as thanks.
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 08:17:39 AM

ok so I have a ubuntu vm that I ran bitcoind on and took several snapshots in esx a year later or esx won't boot the vm saying the vmdk file is corrupt. I managed to copy the vmdk files off the server using linux vmfs tools but still can't access the vmdk files with vmware. The base image loads up fine but doesnt have the wallet file and none of the snapshot delta files will load. Any ideas on how to get the wallet file? I know makomk has a linux wallet recovery program however I don't think I can mount the linux virtual disk. I'll throw some one a few btc if they can help me get my wallet.dat as thanks.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25091.0

I think that should work as long as you give it the vmdk file instead of a block device.  If not, setup a loopback device and use that.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Bitsky

Activity: 576
Merit: 514

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 08:46:58 AM

Any idea how the vmdk got corrupted?

Since a vmdk is just a disk, you can use fdisk/sfdisk/parted to dump the partition table and use that information to calculate the offsets you need to loop-mount them.

Bounty: Earn up to 68.7 BTC
Like my post? Feel free to drop a tip to 1BitskyZbfR4irjyXDaGAM2wYKQknwX36Y
Keninishna (OP)

Activity: 556
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 09:18:27 AM

Any idea how the vmdk got corrupted?

Since a vmdk is just a disk, you can use fdisk/sfdisk/parted to dump the partition table and use that information to calculate the offsets you need to loop-mount them.

well vmware was giving me some errors about the virtual swap files so I had to manually assign the ram reservations to the vm and it booted up the vm but froze at some point, after that i was getting errors from vmware trying to boot it and it would'nt even let me copy the vmdk files off the raid array. All my other vms that i was running started crashing and giving disk errors. Not sure what went wrong because the raid array is reporting fine. Thanks for the guidance though, i'll look into loop mounting the vmdk then I should be able to run makomk's recovery.
Bitsky

Activity: 576
Merit: 514

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 12:38:22 PM

Even if your raid looks fine, I would let the raid controller do a complete verify and check the SMART status of each disk. Maybe the controller had already resynced after an error appeared.
Are you by any chance over-allocating resources? Maybe your vm-storage ran out of disk space and when your vm requested swap it blew up.
Or, if you are using network storage (NFS, iSCSI, FC) the connection went away; which is essentially just like a disappearing drive. The OS will panic and the disks will be in an inconsistent state.
If you find a vswp file, try renaming it, booting and re-renaming it again.
You did not backup your vm's to another storage, right?

Also, I don't think you need to mount a drive to run that python tool which tries to recover keys. If you succeed mounting the partitions however, you can simply copy your wallet. The python tool only dumps the keys it can find if I remember correctly (it's somewhat like a brute-force search).

Bounty: Earn up to 68.7 BTC
Like my post? Feel free to drop a tip to 1BitskyZbfR4irjyXDaGAM2wYKQknwX36Y
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 10:33:44 PM

Even if your raid looks fine, I would let the raid controller do a complete verify and check the SMART status of each disk. Maybe the controller had already resynced after an error appeared.
Are you by any chance over-allocating resources? Maybe your vm-storage ran out of disk space and when your vm requested swap it blew up.
Or, if you are using network storage (NFS, iSCSI, FC) the connection went away; which is essentially just like a disappearing drive. The OS will panic and the disks will be in an inconsistent state.
If you find a vswp file, try renaming it, booting and re-renaming it again.
You did not backup your vm's to another storage, right?

Also, I don't think you need to mount a drive to run that python tool which tries to recover keys. If you succeed mounting the partitions however, you can simply copy your wallet. The python tool only dumps the keys it can find if I remember correctly (it's somewhat like a brute-force search).

I only meant to set up the loopback to run the tool on in case it wanted an actual block device instead of a file.  You are right there is no need to mount it.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: