Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:25:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Gift Card" style merchant credit with instant transaction.  (Read 543 times)
undecim (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 01:12:49 AM
Last edit: February 02, 2013, 02:29:04 AM by undecim

Guess this goes in the newbie section, since I am a newbie. Though I've been reading up on BitCoin and the crypto behind it, and I think I have a way of providing instant transactions, provided you establish a credit with a merchant beforehand. But this credit cannot be spent by either party until the other consents.

Intro:

This proposal is based on the AcceptBit scheme. I'm not a crypto guy, so I might be completely misunderstanding how the AcceptBit crypto works. What I'm proposing here is a method of creating a credit with a merchant, such that:

1: A transaction from credit to merchant can be completed immediately by computers (important for physical transactions)
2: Neither the merchant nor customer need to trust one another. (though either party can freeze the credit)

This method is based on the scheme that AcceptBit uses to create multiple addresses spendable with a single "root" private key. Aside from some basic knowledge of ECDSA, my knowledge of this scheme is limited to the information presented at http://bitcoinmagazine.com/review-of-acceptbit-the-trust-free-payment-processor . So if I'm misunderstanding something, I would appreciate a more knowledgeable person correcting me.

Establishing Credit:

1: The client notifies the merchant that she would like to create a credit.
2: The merchant generates an ECDSA root private key (R) and gives the client the corresponding public key (R'), and a denomination unit (u). (e.g. the BTC equivalent of the smallest denomination the store usually accepts in its primary currency. In the U.S., it might be equivalent to 0.01 USD)
3: The client generates log2(c) ECDSA private keys (K1-Kn), where c is the credit she would like to have with the merchant, which she then uses, along with R' to create bitcoin addresses.
4: The client sends u*2^(n-1) BTC to each of the addresses (A1-An).
5: The client sends each address to the merchant.
6: Once the transactions of step 4 are confirmed, the credit is established.

While waiting for her computer/smartphone to complete step 6, the client might drive to the merchant's physical store, shop around, etc.

At this point, neither party can spend the balance in the addresses.

To spend the credit, the client simply gives the merchant the keys corresponding to the addresses which sum to the amount she wants to spend. For example, if the following addresses were created...:

A1: 1 BTC
A2: 2 BTC
A3: 4 BTC
A4: 8 BTC

... and the client wants to spend 5 BTC, then she gives the merchant K1, A1, K3, and A3. The merchant can verify the transaction by generating the public addresses, proving that the merchant now controls the 5 BTC contained in those accounts.

It is probably good practice that the merchant refund the remaining amount by giving the client R. (Though this can be implementation-specific)

The only weaknesses to this I can fathom (barring social engineering) is that the merchant can suspend the credit indefinitely, and that all credit is lost if the merchant loses R.

Thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
undecim (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 02:03:50 AM
Last edit: February 02, 2013, 02:28:30 AM by undecim

EDIT: I managed to accidentally reply to my own post somehow.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 05:37:30 PM

PS: I whitelisted you, please post this at Project development.  Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: