Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:45:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Police crack down on Silk Road following first drug dealer conviction  (Read 2525 times)
TECSHARE (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2013, 06:55:00 PM

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/02/police-crack-down-on-silk-road-following-first-drug-dealer-conviction/

"AFP manager of crime operations Peter Sykora said in a statement: "Criminals are attempting to exploit the international mail system through online networks, but the recent arrest demonstrates that we are one step ahead of them. "

I bet silkroad is crumbling as we speak!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 06:57:02 PM

Australian police aren't the only ones to crack down on the Silk Road. The DEA in the United States is also on the warpath, targeting similar sites such as the Farmer's Market. In July 2012 the organisation told a US news station KXAN that it was investigating the Silk Road and in November 2012, DEA spokesperson Rusty Payne told The Verge when quizzed on the Silk Road: "Typically we're not really giving out investigative updates about what we're doing, but it's safe to say we are heavily involved in looking into that." In the UK, the Serious Organised Crime Agency and the Metropolitan Police E-Crime unit have also been digging into the marketplace.

However, despite all of these investigations, the conviction rate isn't looking all that promising for law enforcement.
lol
dotcom

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 07:00:40 PM

Yup, it's hilarious how they think they are actually winning this fight. Actually, they probably don't think that, but they can't exactly admit to the public that there's jack shit they can do about it so they have to put on a good show.

This isn't the first conviction, there have been arrests before. This is just the first time they were able to OFFICIALLY link it to silk road.

90% of the time somebody gets arrested its because they were an idiot and didn't package their shit correctly. Also because they were shipping internationally. Don't ship internationally, and you won't get customs on your ass. Guy I order from has been operating for years for two reasons, damn good packaging, and he refuses to ship outside the U.S. (where he operates).

PatrickOMFG

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 08:07:47 PM

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/02/police-crack-down-on-silk-road-following-first-drug-dealer-conviction/

"AFP manager of crime operations Peter Sykora said in a statement: "Criminals are attempting to exploit the international mail system through online networks, but the recent arrest demonstrates that we are one step ahead of them. "

Silk Road going nowhere as long as the buyers and sellers remain smart about what they are doing.

The first step would be not buying internationally, sticking to domestic sellers only.
ildubbioso

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 08:26:20 PM

Guy I order from has been operating for years for two reasons, damn good packaging, and he refuses to ship outside the U.S. (where he operates).

And maybe he does not tell that around public forums?  Huh

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 08:31:11 PM

The Gov has nothing better to do?

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2013, 08:50:20 PM

So let me get this straight: They busted one idiot who was reselling SR merchandise to locals using SMS. Guess what: In every bigger city several of those get busted every week.
It's hilarious. They surely are cracking down on Silk Road, LOL!  
twolifeinexile

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 03:58:53 PM

So let me get this straight: They busted one idiot who was reselling SR merchandise to locals using SMS. Guess what: In every bigger city several of those get busted every week.
It's hilarious. They surely are cracking down on Silk Road, LOL!  
Hoho, SMS, that is very anonymous I guess...Sigh,
Not sure how this arrest in anyway related to that famous online "ebay"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: