Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:23:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Malware Links, downloading trojans on the Bitcoin Forum  (Read 1131 times)
bitrebel (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 06:03:26 PM

Hi everyone,
   I keep reading about stolen wallet, sometimes encrypted, sometimes with hard to break passwords, etc. People all claim high security, but it happens.
Recently, I noticed a PM I received in the forum. It claimed to be about something I was not related to, but attempted to phish me like I was a customer.
I looked at the link and it made no sense. It was probably a link to download and install maleware.
   If I was a hacker trying to steal wallet files, I would seek them where they all gather, on the bitcoin talk forum. If I could get people to click on my links, then I'll have my trojans installed. I'm certainly not one of those types, but I could see this as a way to get free bitcoins from users on the forum.
   All i'm saying is to be careful around here, because some trolls are installing trojans from links directly from these boards.
Always scan the links first, if necessary type them into google search first, to see what comes up. Use a virus scan to scan links that are suspicious,
and finally,
Get a Trezor wallet when it comes out. It will probably be the best thing around, to secure your bitcoins. Methinx.
Maybe this will save someone some serious losses.

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AliceWonder

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 10:11:07 AM

Best thing to do, seriously, is run linux.

Stick to software packages distributed by your vendor from the vendor repository.

Make a user account separate from your normal user account, and use that second account for bitcoin. With unix permissions, even if there is linux malware that you end up downloading during your normal surging, it has to root the box before it can read any data in the user account you use for bitcoin.

For storage of large amounts of bitcoin, paper wallet.

Really, I don't understand why the masses keep putting up with that piece of crap operating system from Microsoft.

If you can figure out bitcoin, you can figure out a Linux distribution like Mint or Fedora.

-=-

It is probably safe to install the fluendo gstreamer plugins so you have decent multimedia capabilities. But any other non-free software, be extremely careful.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 10:21:11 AM

While on the topic any good malware protection programs for Android OS
Sometimes its not the PC but the phone that will get you

On the topic I was going to post a link to a nefario post but that's a certain notorious trojan stealer  Wink

This is a 2 year old link so just as an example
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387194,00.asp

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
AliceWonder

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 12:17:30 PM

On the topic I was going to post a link to a nefario post but that's a certain notorious trojan stealer  Wink

My personal android philosophy is to keep those wallets (tablet and phone) empty. When I am going somewhere I think I might want to spend from them (hasn't happened yet but next time I go to SF maybe there'll be a vendor) then put some on, and transfer it off as soon as I'm done.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 12:23:33 PM

On the topic I was going to post a link to a nefario post but that's a certain notorious trojan stealer  Wink

My personal android philosophy is to keep those wallets (tablet and phone) empty. When I am going somewhere I think I might want to spend from them (hasn't happened yet but next time I go to SF maybe there'll be a vendor) then put some on, and transfer it off as soon as I'm done.

Well I was thinking along those lines because personal disclosure some companies in Canada are starting to recruit sales divisions to start seeing them in stores and other places, so its only a matter of time before phone security emerges as a Giant issue to developing bitcoin but I agree install deposit spend amount send back remainder uninstall works safest ^^

God9394

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 12:24:07 PM

how to make malware? do you need to know programming
freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 12:25:02 PM

how to make malware? do you need to know programming

Well there are a lot of places if you know where to look but if you want to go beyond a script kiddie yes

God9394

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 12:38:49 PM

where can I learn. to make malware and spread
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 01:11:48 PM

Get a Trezor wallet when it comes out. It will probably be the best thing around, to secure your bitcoins.

THIS

A hardware wallet is the best way to protect your wallet and do transactions in a secure way. Add a paper wallet and you are ok.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: