Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:47:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Christianity is Poison  (Read 52545 times)
Moloch (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 722

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 07:06:11 PM

Question:  If God asked you to murder your own child... would you?

God asked Abraham to do this, and Abraham was ready to kill his son... would you blindly murder your own child if God commanded it?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
magnific61

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 09:48:21 PM

Atheists have no respect to anything because they live only for current life.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 2607

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2016, 10:27:13 PM

Slavery:
Quote from: Leviticus 25:44-46
As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you. You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their clans that are with you, who have been born in your land, and they may be your property. You may bequeath them to your sons after you to inherit as a possession forever. You may make slaves of them, but over your brothers the people of Israel you shall not rule, one over another ruthlessly.

Quote from: Exodus 21:20-21
When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his property.

More slavery in the bible: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_and_slavery

Rape:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_the_Hebrew_Bible

Homosexuality:
Quote from: Leviticus 20:13
If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Witches:
Quote from: Exodus 22:13
Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

Murder your own child:
Quote from: Deuteronomy 21:18-21
If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:

Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;
And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.
And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

Is that enough, or do you need more quotes from the bible before you will believe me?
Leviticus, Exodus and Deuteronomy are all part of the Old Testament (also often referred to as the Hebrew Bible), which is overwritten by the New Testament in many branches (and/or sects) of Christianity. The Old Testament was meant as a holy book for the time (not for eternity) and became obsolete in many situations. Also, in terms of cherry-picking, that's why different branches and sects of both Christianity and other religions exist - there's constant debate (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theology) on what is accepted and what is not, especially as time progresses and our culture changes.

Sources (in terms of what I based the arguments upon):
http://christianity.stackexchange.com/questions/15/do-we-have-to-obey-the-laws-of-the-bible-if-so-what-laws/506#506
http://christianity.stackexchange.com/questions/3733/does-the-new-testament-override-the-old-testament

Question:  If God asked you to murder your own child... would you?

God asked Abraham to do this, and Abraham was ready to kill his son... would you blindly murder your own child if God commanded it?
I really doubt the following written in the Old Testament was literal, just like with Adam and Eve being interpreted as 2 actual people, rather than a metaphor for humanity.

P.S. I find it rather pointless when both sides attack (e.g. the "atheism is poison" situation the OP is frustrated with and, on the other hand, atheists doing the same on every Youtube video related to religion in the comments) each other on the Internet, instead of having a civil discussion and providing valid arguments. Nobody's going to win and everyone will waste their time. Seems like some people have a hard time stomaching that different people have different opinions and/or beliefs.  Undecided.

P.P.S. Yes, I understand how pointless my response is in relation to what I just said. I just happen to have some time to kill.

Moloch (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 10:37:07 PM

P.S. I find it rather pointless when both sides attack (e.g. the "atheism is poison" situation the OP is frustrated with and, on the other hand, atheists doing the same on every Youtube video related to religion in the comments) each other on the Internet, instead of having a civil discussion and providing valid arguments. Nobody's going to win and everyone will waste their time. Seems like some people have a hard time stomaching that different people have different opinions and/or beliefs.  Undecided.

There is a huge difference between attacking and self-defense...

Christians have been attacking Atheists on this forum non-stop for over a year

I asked them to stop in each thread, but they continue anyway

You'll notice they stopped since I made this thread...

Apparently Christians cannot see how much of an asshole they are, until you give them a little bit of their own medicine

Christians hand out bibles in school, Atheists hand out satanic literature...
Christians put up 10-commandment statue, Atheists put up Baphomet statue...
Christians teach religion in school, Atheists teach satanism in school...

Tit for tat... Christians back down every time
Zeke2345

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 10:39:41 PM

As much as I think Christianity is a problem in todays world,I still will read it to see how extensive its roots are in the every day aspects of living.
Somethings I was not aware of before where Christian sayings or labels and I would like to be able to spot them.

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 2607

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2016, 10:45:53 PM

There is a huge difference between attacking and self-defense...

Christians have been attacking Atheists on this forum non-stop for over a year

I asked them to stop in each thread, but they continue anyway

You'll notice they stopped since I made this thread...

Apparently Christians cannot see how much of an asshole they are, until you give them a little bit of their own medicine

Christians hand out bibles in school, Atheists hand out satanic literature...
Christians put up 10-commandment statue, Atheists put up Baphomet statue...
Christians teach religion in school, Atheists teach satanism in school...

Tit for tat
That's the point I was trying to make, except I wanted to highlight that both sides (not only on this forum, but on the Internet in general) do so and both sides should stop (not like that is going to ever happen). Also, in many cases it's not because of relligion (or lack thereof), it's just because those people are either of limited intelligence or are simply assholes. And being and idiot or an asshole is universal: accorss all beliefs and religions, races, genders, sexual preferences, etc.

tl;dr That wasn't aimed at you OP, but rather at a situation you were frustrated by, as well as similiar situations elswhere with the roles reversed.

raymond541

Activity: 821
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 28, 2016, 09:16:13 AM

With ruthless precision and an irreverent wisdom that is often shocking, Osho dismembers Christianity in the presence of twenty-one Jesuit priests visiting the resort at the time this series of talks was given. This is Osho at his most candid as he deals with all the unspoken questions anyone from a Christian background might ever want to ask, and speaks on the profound truth available in Zen. Smiley
saiha

Activity: 840
Merit: 501

Strength in Numbers

View Profile
March 28, 2016, 09:59:28 AM

Atheism is poison, atheist really don't know how to respect Christians. They really believe they are always right on what they know.

Vires in Numeris
n0ne

Activity: 2534
Merit: 548

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2016, 02:12:11 PM

Question: &nbsp;If God asked you to murder your own child... would you?

This is just to examine what faith or trust Abraham had in lord. Yes Abraham accepted to kill his son only because he believed in lord.

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
Moloch (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2016, 02:58:34 PM

Question: &nbsp;If God asked you to murder your own child... would you?

This is just to examine what faith or trust Abraham had in lord. Yes Abraham accepted to kill his son only because he believed in lord.

I did not ask about Abraham, I asked about you... If God asked YOU to kill YOUR son... would YOU do it?

It's a question about morality... and a trick question... there is no correct answer...

If you would not kill your son, then you don't really believe God is moral in telling you to kill your son...

If you would kill your son, you are immoral and so is your God...
exemplaar

Activity: 978
Merit: 506

View Profile
March 28, 2016, 06:11:27 PM

God has no need or intent to ask that.

He already gave HIS own SON Jesus Christ, 2000 years ago to die on the cross, that in Him you and everyone that BELIEVE, may have life.
In Christ death has no power over you and you also have ability to overcome all fear.

There is no power in atheism, there is no life in atheism. There is only fear and death.

Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?

jillpampena75

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2016, 07:09:40 PM

"I have been spoiled by Christianity.To understand how this happened, I need to first explain something else about my character; namely, my strong sense of determination. One of my earliest memories is of me escaping from my crib in the middle of the night – I remember it vividly enough; first I threw one leg over the side, so that my body was halfway in the crib and halfway on the other side (my body was resting on the elevated sides). What I best recall is that this was very painful, but I decided to go on regardless – I put myself through that pain knowing I would be rewarded for my efforts afterwards with freedom. Another example: I was not the strongest boy at my high school, and one time during sport our class was told to do 200 push-ups for playing up – though I was possibly the weakest person in the room (physically), I was the only one there who actually managed to do all 200 push-ups, just so I could prove I could do it, just because I refused to be defeated. This picture of overcoming, of endurance, essentially sums up a major dimension of my character – the satisfaction of standing through pain, willing myself to the end, and finally achieving my goal.

Well, this is all good and well when applied in the right way, but I realise now that, for around the past 15 years of my life, this uncompromising zeal was perverted against me: I was indoctrinated into the Catholic Church, and I was determined to live as a Catholic to the letter.

Since as long as I can remember, I would refrain from using the word “God” as an exclamation (I considered it blasphemous), I would never praise anything or anyone without consciously affirming in my mind that God was greater still, I was altruistic to the point of masochism, I regarded anything sexual or even mildly hedonistic to be downright disgusting (I recently discovered an old diary of mine where I basically use the words “Sexual” and “immoral” interchangeably), and I would pray to God every night – the Lord's Prayer, the Hail Mary and the Creed, before going through a list of things I was grateful for and a list of things I was sorry for, and if I didn't do it sincerely I'd do the whole thing again.

I really did believe in the concept of 100%, I was an absolutist – every slip was a catastrophe, the smallest inconsistencies were thundering dissonances (I still hate inconsistency, as it happens, though I don't think this is such a bad thing). Ironically, it was this very drive towards God which led me to atheism (since God is truth, after all), but I realise now that my determination to deny my senses, my natural urges, my insistence on regarding anything selfish or pleasurable with contempt, my impossible standards of morality, placed a great distance between me and ordinary people. And I know know why I find it so difficult to mingle with others, naturally and healthily – I've held this very mingling, and the free sentimentality required for it, in cold disdain for most of my life.

I have no confidence in social situations or personal interactions with people now – my social development has been severely retarded, and I fear the damage may be irreversible. When I speak to people, I don't rely on personal charm or confidence, I rather take refuge in cold logic – I am able to gain an advantage over people by subjecting them to my own rigid standards of rationality, but you can't win affection with or build relationships upon cold logic.

Yes! Why are reason, art and strength such important things to me? Because they're all I have left!

I hate Christianity, I hate it! Don't anyone dare tell me that I don't understand “true” Christianity – I understand it better than anyone, I followed it to its logical conclusion: Atheism. Unfortunately, I was terribly wounded in the process.

No, it's too horrible to imagine; I botched my only life under the presupposition that I would have another – and with uncompromising zeal too!

Now that I realise this, the true nature of my situation, I don't think there is any way I can really overcome my social isolation, so that I think I will have to do what I thought to be the unthinkable – I will have to accept isolation as a part of my life. I almost sympathise with the Duke of Gloucester's exclamation:

And therefore, — since I cannot prove a lover,
    To entertain these fair well-spoken days, —
    I am determined to prove a villain,
    And hate the idle pleasures of these days.

But I deny this base instinct for petty revenge, and love life all the same. However, I will say this; – to everyone who love themselves, who feel and indulge their urges, who love and create and are filled with song, lust, benevolence, drunkenness and every other honest and healthy manifestation of vitality: I am your friend. But to all those who hate life, whose mission is to destroy life and pervert reality back onto itself, to all peddlers of nothingness, to all active Christians, to Christianity itself: I am calamity. "
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2394
Merit: 1553

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2016, 08:23:09 PM

Please, someone tell me how believing in a magic sky God is better than not believing in a magic sky God...  How does believing in fairy tales help a person in any way whatsoever?

You do realise that all the Western world was built on Christian values, not the ones you cherry picked from old testament, but rather on the 10 commitments (even if they've been altered).

You don't see how humanity have benefited from religion? Then you sir, are a moron.
How would you go around explaining say 15th century unwashed, illetarate masses what is good and what is bad? The fear of the law enforcement was virtually non-existant, you could commit shitloads of undetected crime. So go on, tell me how would you explain to some average dumb peasant that stealing/raping/killing (when no one sees you) is bad. The belief in magic sky fairy did and still does an amazing job.

How do you imagine Battle of Vienna (Christians defending Europe from muslim imvasion) would look like if every European valued their own life the most and didn't believe in afterlife reward? Who would be willing to die for higher cause?

So yes, very likely thanks to those 'Christian nutters' who protected their countries and continent from 'muslim nutters' you're now allowed to be an atheist and bitch about Christianity. And funny part, they still fucking love you (at least officially).

And you honestly have never heard of any alcoholic, drug addict, criminal, or other degenerate who turned their lives around because they 'found Jesus'? Acknowledging and accepting the higher power can have a very strong positive effect (even if it's a fairytale).

And from scientific point of view, is it or is it not possible, considering infinite time in the universe, that some sort of force (that could fit definition of God) has emerged at some point?

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2016, 10:23:46 PM

<snip>You don't see how humanity have benefited from religion? Then you sir, are a moron.
How would you go around explaining say 15th century unwashed, illetarate masses what is good and what is bad? The fear of the law enforcement was virtually non-existant, you could commit shitloads of undetected crime. So go on, tell me how would you explain to some average dumb peasant that stealing/raping/killing (when no one sees you) is bad. The belief in magic sky fairy did and still does an amazing job.

Interestingly, the state of the 15th century peasant was a direct result of religion and was not improved by the church. Most improvements began around the time of the renaissance (not exactly known for espousing christian virtues, eh?).

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2394
Merit: 1553

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2016, 10:38:59 PM

<snip>You don't see how humanity have benefited from religion? Then you sir, are a moron.

Interestingly, the state of the 15th century peasant was a direct result of religion and was not improved by the church. Most improvements began around the time of the renaissance (not exactly known for espousing christian virtues, eh?).

What does it have to do with the point I was making? Wasn't really talking about quality of peasant life at all.

But let me take the bait. What was the dominating, most common religion/set of beliefs during renaissance? Were people less religious? Was Christianity put aside and replaced? Or maybe it has been changing/evolving just like anything else?

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
Zeke2345

View Profile
March 28, 2016, 10:47:54 PM

Atheists have no respect to anything because they live only for current life.

Loaded statement,if you are not a atheist how could you possibly know how a atheist thinks?
If you mean little respect for religion then you are correct for most of those you classify as atheist.
But this is a label and some people do not buy into the need to put every one in a little cupboard for labeling.

Have read a bit of the Koran,dabbled in Buddhism and NLP. Its not for me and that should be excepted by people that have chosen to believe.
Why rock the boat,unless you do not believe yourself!

RayBrady

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2016, 11:03:39 PM

There's a BIG difference between spirituality/connection/belief, and what atheists think Christianity is.

You're covering a dog with a pig mask, and calling it something it isn't. I think the memes you posted are more relevant to islam, not Christianity. For example, Jesus doesn't care if we pray all the time, that doesn't make us closer with him. That's an islamic idea. Prayer isn't to change Jesus' decisions to get what we want either.

It's not a poison. The moment you snap and realize all the puzzle pieces fit, rather than trying to jam things in and say it's poison, you'll understand it far better. Why does the Bible "restrict" or "recommend" you to not have sex outside of marriage? Why does it oppose doing what you want (drinking, smoking, drugs). Because all these things ruin our lives, and degrade and spoil them. There's a reason for everything. It's not a lifestyle, it's how humans were meant to be, people who take the route of living their own lives will only have to wait to see what is after.

It's a poison if you believe fully that the things of this earth and life is the best it gets. Imagine America without greed, drugs, and things that degrade us. It's no doubt that Christianity advises you to live life the proper way. I guess it's all perspective, some see the worms-eye view, others birds-eye. If you want to look at it like a joke and pretend like it is all "fake" and made-up, let it be so. What is love if you are forced to love?

(this post is my opinion, feel free to discuss any point)

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2016, 11:05:52 PM

What does it have to do with the point I was making? Wasn't really talking about quality of peasant life at all.

You were saying that religion was a moral compass for 15th century peasants. If I misunderstood what you meant I apologise.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Zeke2345

View Profile
March 28, 2016, 11:16:07 PM

There's a BIG difference between spirituality/connection/belief, and what atheists think Christianity is.

You're covering a dog with a pig mask, and calling it something it isn't. I think the memes you posted are more relevant to islam, not Christianity. For example, Jesus doesn't care if we pray all the time, that doesn't make us closer with him. That's an islamic idea. Prayer isn't to change Jesus' decisions to get what we want either.

It's not a poison. The moment you snap and realize all the puzzle pieces fit, rather than trying to jam things in and say it's poison, you'll understand it far better. Why does the Bible "restrict" or "recommend" you to not have sex outside of marriage? Why does it oppose doing what you want (drinking, smoking, drugs). Because all these things ruin our lives, and degrade and spoil them. There's a reason for everything. It's not a lifestyle, it's how humans were meant to be, people who take the route of living their own lives will only have to wait to see what is after.

It's a poison if you believe fully that the things of this earth and life is the best it gets. Imagine America without greed, drugs, and things that degrade us. It's no doubt that Christianity advises you to live life the proper way. I guess it's all perspective, some see the worms-eye view, others birds-eye. If you want to look at it like a joke and pretend like it is all "fake" and made-up, let it be so. What is love if you are forced to love?

(this post is my opinion, feel free to discuss any point)

The guidelines you reference where altered by the governing powers of the day usually the church to control people. They really are not to benefit humans but to push the agenda of the current time. They did not want people killing themselves in mass due to hard living during famines. That is why hell is such a scary place created to deter people from pulling the plug. You can pretty much point to any religious guideline and it can be countered with a historical point where people where needed to be controlled.
You have a pope that preaches still in the same manner from up high and does not walk what he preaches. Wash a few prisoners feet and active on twitter does not make you cutting edge. Its a desperate attempt to stay relevant in a technological time where people do not give a shit anymore if the church puts out a creed.

Moloch (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 01:15:40 AM

Please, someone tell me how believing in a magic sky God is better than not believing in a magic sky God...  How does believing in fairy tales help a person in any way whatsoever?

You do realise that all the Western world was built on Christian values, not the ones you cherry picked from old testament, but rather on the 10 commitments (even if they've been altered).

You don't see how humanity have benefited from religion? Then you sir, are a moron.
How would you go around explaining say 15th century unwashed, illetarate masses what is good and what is bad?

As I'm sure I stated previously, the Western world was definitely NOT built on christian values...  Name a "christian value" that the western world was build upon... name anything besides don't kill/steal, which are clearly not invented by christians

The problems of the 15th century were a direct result of the dark ages... a curse Christianity inflicted upon Europe... 300 years of murder, torture, rape, book burnings, etc... it was a madhouse... Christians murdered and destroyed half of Europe!

The world would have been much better off without the Inquisition, Burning witches alive, Crusades, et al
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 »
  Print  

Jump to: