Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:40:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A block-size survey  (Read 3889 times)
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
March 23, 2016, 02:02:20 AM

Lightning is not a netting system, -- as a clear evidence for that netting universally involves counterparty risk of loss and lightning does not. But if you wanted to talk in terms of netting you perhaps should have said that.
--snip--
 And in Lightning, unlike the check, the risk is eliminated because of Bitcoin magic.
--snip--
Lightning [...] without a counterparty risk for funds loss, [...]
This is not true. There is counter party risk when dealing with lightning. It is possible that your counter party could broadcast an old/"revoked" transaction that results in you receiving less BTC then what you most recently agreed to. It is not a guarantee that you will see such revoked transaction prior to the "lock" expiring, making the "penalty" transaction moot, and it is not a guarantee that you will be able to get the "penalty" transaction to confirm even if you do see the revoked transaction.

Also if the current state your agreement with your counter party is that you are to be refunded 0.0 BTC then broadcasting an expired refund transaction would be risk fee, and EV positive because even if you fail to be able to steal BTC 99% of the time, you would lose nothing 99% of the time and gain some amount 1% of the time when this is attempted, and the (psyudo)anonymous nature of Bitcoin will allow an attacker to attempt this attack multiple times.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 25, 2016, 09:02:21 PM

Survey Results

Summary
The main hypothesis I wanted to test is whether an entrepreneurial mindset (as opposed to a technical mindset) makes you more likely to favor big blocks. And the answer seems yes.

Intro
I thank all 269 respondents, out of which 146 have indicated a numeric block-size preference ranging between 0.5 MB and unlimited, excluding unspecific dynamic answers. All findings revolve around the question of what makes someone a big-blocker or a small-blocker. In here, I consider everyone who wants a block size limit of less than 4 MB to be a small-blocker and those who prefer 4 MB or more to be big-blockers. This somewhat arbitrary decision was taken before analyzing the data. The median being 8 MB, I ended up with 103 big-blockers and 44 small-blockers. This is not representative for bitcoin-users in general and mostly reflects the fact that I received more responses from /r/btc readers than from /r/bitcoin readers.

Findings
  • There is a deep divide between readers of the traditional two forums and readers of /r/btc. Among /r/bitcoin and bitcointalk readers, 39% are big-blockers, whereas 94% of the /r/btc readers are big-blocker. Among those reading other news sources first, 76% are big-blockers. This was by far the most statistically significant finding (t-stat 6.6). While this is not surprising to anyone paying attention, it is still worrying to see such a schism.
  • Small-blockers are more likely to see the future of Bitcoin in a settlement system (24%) or digital gold (17%) than big-blockers (10% settlement, 6% gold). This confirms the widespread suspicion that the block-size disagreement is related to what we want Bitcoin to be, although not to the extent I would have expected to see. The "electronic cash system" still clearly wins among every group.
  • The amount of Bitcoins you own does not seem of much relevance here.
  • Small-blockers are more likely to find technology more important than business strategy, are more likely to have written Bitcoin-related code, and are more likely to have founded a company.
  • Big-blockers tend to emphasize the importance of business strategy relative to technology, are more likely to like "Swiss bank account in your pocket" tagline, and are more likely to have plans to found a company.

Comment
I see the block-size decision as a trade-off between a technical risk (loss of decentralization, hard fork, etc.) and a business risk (missing the window of opportunity for growth). If correct, this would mean that people with higher technical awareness would tend to favor smaller blocks while those with an entrepreneurial background would favor bigger blocks. Anecdotal evidence supports this, with entrepreneurs like Erik Voerhees being a big-blocker, and a considerable number of core-devs being small-blockers. This survey also supports this hypothesis with statistical significance (p-value of 0.03), but not to same extent as your preferred news source determines your opinion (p-value of 0.00002). Social scientist usually accept a hypothesis if a p-value of 0.05 or lower is reached.

Personality Test
An accessible way to present these findings is to run a regression on many parameters at once and use the most relevant ones to construct a "personality test" like one can find them in certain women's magazines. This is not very scientific, but fun.

You start with 2 points.
  • If your primary Bitcoin news source is /r/bitcoin or bitcointalk, subtract 4 points.
  • If you believe that for Internet companies, technology is a more important success factor than business strategy, subtract 3 points.
  • If you have written Bitcoin-related source code that others use, subtract 2 points.
  • If you have plans to found a company, add 2 points.
  • If you have already founded a company, subtract 2 points. (This goes counter my hypothesis, but is neutralized by other factors.)
  • If you believe that ten years from now, Bitcoin will rather be seen as "digital gold" than electronic cash or a settlement system, subtract 2 points.
  • If you find the tagline "Bitcoin: a Swiss bank account in your pocket" catchy, add 2 points.
  • If you find the tagline "Blocks are like penises: the bigger the better" catchy, add 2 points.[1]
  • If you find the tagline "Decentralized Bitcoin must not become centralized Bankcoin." catchy, subtract 1 point.
If you end up with a positive amount of points, you are more likely to be a big-blocker, and vice versa.

Disclaimer
This survey does not hold up to scientific standards. While it statistically confirms my hypothesis, I would have hoped for stronger results.

[1] This admittedly crude tagline irritated some of you. This is an identity play in accordance with Scott Adam's persuasion stack (http://blog.dilbert.com/post/136950092871/why-would-a-man-vote-for-hillary-clinton). An association between big-blockers and their anatomy is planted into the reader's brain. If Scott is right, this will work much better than any argument based on reason.

Do you really think it matters what people think?  Most people are wrong most of the time.

This problem should be approached the same way as any technical or science problem is tackled. What you (or most people) think is irrelevant. 

opinions and noise.. sam0.

sotisoti

Activity: 762
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 12:21:10 AM

With the growing block size, it makes me worried that only user with large disk space is capable of running a full node.

Bitrated user: sotisoti.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2016, 11:56:06 AM

With the growing block size, it makes me worried that only user with large disk space is capable of running a full node.

What's that got to do with blockchain blocks. The blocks in my Bitcoin directory are around 16.5Mb in size.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 12:00:50 PM

What's that got to do with blockchain blocks. The blocks in my Bitcoin directory are around 16.5Mb in size.

sotisoti

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 12:41:13 PM

I meant to say blockchain size. Nowadays you can't run a full node with a machine of 20GB disk space, can you?

nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
March 28, 2016, 12:36:07 AM

I meant to say blockchain size. Nowadays you can't run a full node with a machine of 20GB disk space, can you?

2 years ago I bought the second cheapest machine Dell had to offer.  It came with the smallest HD available which was 500 GB.  On it is the btc blockcahin as well as the blockchains of 2 other coins.  Over 1/2 of my HD space is free.  The comp I bought 15 years ago had a 30 GB HD.   

Now that your mind has been put at ease may I suggest you should look at bandwidth.
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2016, 12:40:14 AM

Sure you can. You can have pruning enabled. It is still a full node as it still fully validates every single transaction and block it receives before relaying it. It just doesn't store all of that data.

sotisoti

View Profile
March 28, 2016, 01:09:45 AM

Sure you can. You can have pruning enabled. It is still a full node as it still fully validates every single transaction and block it receives before relaying it. It just doesn't store all of that data.
Thanks for the info. Pruning feature is really something new to me.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: