Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:50:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why old coins will rise once more  (Read 632 times)
K210 (OP)

Activity: 1568
Merit: 507

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 11:38:00 AM

I think once people realise that IPO/ICO/Premine coins are scams and overhyped they will move back into old coins. I mean if you look at the ratio of new coins scamming vs the ratio of old coins scamming new coins are more likely to be scams. Add to this overhyped crypto like ether and emercoin which seem to have pumps for no apparant reason and it becomes rather sad to see what has become of altcoins. Altcoins were once used for experimentation, to provide an alternative to bitcoin, instead people nowadays create altcoins either to scam or get rich. The worst case of this is IPOS/ICOS where devs make millions while everyone else is fucked over. Yes programmers have to be paid but they should be paid after goals are met.  

I think after all the hype dies down one of three things will happen:

1. People will move back into old coins like LTC,PPC,NMC and they will moon like they did in 2013
2. People will sell coins and go into bitcoin
3. People will sell for bitcoin, dump for fiat and leave crypto altogether

This is just my opinion i could be totally wrong and etherum might dethrone bitcoin(god help us if this happens).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 01:54:26 PM

I'm in agreement for the most part. ICO coins are just wide open for behind the scenes manipulation.
POW is the only fair way ahead.

AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 02:14:57 PM

I also mostly agree and can see it starting already. Some older coins, like Feathercoin have seen their communities all but dry up. However, more recently activity has started to pickup some. People are starting to look to coins that have stood the test of time rather than something thrown together in a dorm room for a quick buck.

Feathercoin is a good example because its one of the older alts and its still actively developed. Sure its history isnt so great but that shows it has survived and gotten stronger. 51% attacks, algro change, PnD, etc but it lives on... Im sure there are other coins like that out there, Peer? Namecoin? Even Primecoin was a good idea, it was just abandoned by the dev.

Dust off your old wallets, I think some older coins are coming back from the dead.

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
whale_shark

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 02:18:45 PM

I completely disagree!

For example  - why would people buy namecoin that isnt getting developed on the scale of Ether, Monero, Bitbay etc. Coins that are actually getting developed with professioanl team working full time on them are the ones people will buy.

What you are saying is like buying shares in SEGA and Amstrad and not Sony Playstation because they "weren't first"!!
AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 02:22:43 PM

I completely disagree!

For example  - why would people buy namecoin that isnt getting developed on the scale of Ether, Monero, Bitbay etc. Coins that are actually getting developed with professioanl team working full time on them are the ones people will buy.

What you are saying is like buying shares in SEGA and Amstrad and not Sony Playstation because they "weren't first"!!

No, what Im saying is buy Nintendo because its stood the test of time rather than "AmDD's Super Awesome Game System" that no one has heard of and was designed on my kitchen table.

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
K210 (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 02:36:13 PM

I completely disagree!

Its not all about development. Coins that have stood the test of time are reliable and hence attractive for long term investors. If crypto ever goes mainstream non-technical people are going to invest in the coin that is the most reliable not necessarily with the best tech. Besides IPOS/ICOS generally have distributions that benefit the devs and not the users. What would happen if ethers dev dump his 5.5 million ether right now? Ether would crash.

This is not to say that new coins are useless, they arent infact they are necessary in the long term for new tech to be developed. I just think that some people get too excited when they see the newest crypto with all the bells and whistles and overhype it like the best thing ever. Just look at eth - why is it $10? Can i spend it? Does anyone know what it is? Can i put my savings into it without worrying it will crash tomorrow? Can i buy coffee with it?

Old coins have dedicated bases that stick around no matter what the price is and this is what ultimately makes or breaks a coin - long term users.
whale_shark

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 02:36:56 PM

can you elaborate on why people will buy  LTC,PPC,NMC when other altcoins are far more advanced
I would never sell what i own to buy PPC or NMC! Unless they get someone like David Zimbeck on board their team
2 year isnt 'old'!!

in 4 years Monero will be 5 and litecoin 7-8 - does that mean its more attractive still?
K210 (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 02:39:43 PM

can you elaborate on why people will buy  LTC,PPC,NMC when other altcoins are far more advanced

Because there is a reason they are still around and not dead.
K210 (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 02:41:50 PM

can you elaborate on why people will buy  LTC,PPC,NMC when other altcoins are far more advanced
I would never sell what i own to buy PPC or NMC! Unless they get someone like David Zimbeck on board their team
2 year isnt 'old'!!

in 4 years Monero will be 5 and litecoin 7-8 - does that mean its more attractive still?

No i am saying there is more to a coin than just being "advanced"
whale_shark

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 02:45:19 PM

can you elaborate on why people will buy  LTC,PPC,NMC when other altcoins are far more advanced

bag holders not wanting to sell for $1 when they bought at $7!!
K210 (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 02:48:29 PM

bag holders not wanting to sell for $1 when they bought at $7!!

That doesnt explain why they have greater adoption than newer coins.
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2016, 03:11:54 PM

I also mostly agree and can see it starting already. Some older coins, like Feathercoin have seen their communities all but dry up. However, more recently activity has started to pickup some. People are starting to look to coins that have stood the test of time rather than something thrown together in a dorm room for a quick buck.

Feathercoin is a good example because its one of the older alts and its still actively developed. Sure its history isnt so great but that shows it has survived and gotten stronger. 51% attacks, algro change, PnD, etc but it lives on... Im sure there are other coins like that out there, Peer? Namecoin? Even Primecoin was a good idea, it was just abandoned by the dev.

Dust off your old wallets, I think some older coins are coming back from the dead.

I agree. The new bull market has gotten some old adopters going back to their old haunts and getting interested in their old faves again. Old cryptos that are still around have stood the tests of time, which include the "active community" test. There've been hundreds that have been abandoned, but the "old reliables" have not been. Plus, as you indicated, many of them are still being actively developed. That kind of community is strong-hands solid.

Best of luck with Feathercoin. Smiley

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

BitcoinNational
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1010

Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 04:28:40 PM
Last edit: March 27, 2016, 04:47:12 PM by BitcoinNational

My kinda of thread!

old coins will moon
because they have held value for +36months

ico coins just invented their value (see NXT kids for how those shake down)
fresh launch coins have thier ups ... but yet to have had their downs

"stood the tests of time, which includes the "active community" test"
includes the damn thing still works after 2-3 years test too Wink

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄████▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▄
         ▄████████████████▄▄▄███████
       ▄█████████████████████████████
     ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████████▄
   ▄████████▀█▀███▀        ███████████
 ▄████████▀███             ███████████
▄███████▀████                ██████████▄
███████████▀                  ██████████