Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:20:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The ASICMiner wow.  (Read 3903 times)
MPOE-PR (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 04:32:04 AM

That is of course if all goes well. And the fact friedcat somewhat omitted Details on mining specifically in his last update makes me uncertain on the timeline for the full 12TH.

Possibly they're making the all too common mistake of trying to do everything instead on focusing on some defined core goals and doing those well. Time will tell, of course.

Also, I am unsure about how exactly the unsold shares affect dividends, I don't necessarily understand that part really well, but I got the impression that it pretty much means "nothings different for dividends" which means 20kbtc, not 15k.

The discussion of share ownership is not germane, whether Bitfountain owns 50, 69 or 99% of the shares and third parties own 50, 31 or 1% of the shares, the dividends produced are the same, and the per share value stemming from them is the same.

ASICMiner shares are bid up to 0.42 BTC per share (and rising).  At that price, what is the market capitalization of ASICMiner?

Part of the questions you're asking would be easily answered by reading this thread.

0.42 / 0.75 * 300000 = 168000 BTC.

I don't imagine mining metal irl has much if anything to do with the case at hand. The entire "mining" thing about hashing is a cutesy joke, or in other words a misnomer. There's no mining happening.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
skibum

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 09:23:16 AM

1) RE: "Part of the questions you're asking would be easily answered by reading this thread.": Sorry, I missed that in the thread.  Thanks for posting directly.

2) RE: "0.42 / 0.75 * 300000 = 168000 BTC.": What is the 0.75 in your calculation?  Thanks.

3) If it helps you, please disregard my mention of the "cutesy joke" that was the "mining" reference.  It was not the point of my question and to focus on that is a red herring.  The core of my question (rhetorical for now, unless someone with the ability and inclination wants to address it) is what are the relative relevant valuation techniques and metrics for ASICMiner and companies like ASICMiner.

4) The links I posted in the previous post were just for ease of reference for anyone who was interested.  Same with this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valuation_(finance) .  Smiley

Thanks  Grin
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 12:25:17 PM

2) RE: "0.42 / 0.75 * 300000 = 168000 BTC.": What is the 0.75 in your calculation?  Thanks.

If this is in fact correct it's also not unreasonable to judge ASICMiner's market cap roughly equal or a little under that of Satoshi Dice, in which case the 400,000 share company would be worth on MPEx somewhere between 3 and 600k BTC, or between .75 and 1.5 BTC per share, making Bitfountain the third multi-million dollar Bitcoin public corp in Bitcoin history.

The core of my question (rhetorical for now, unless someone with the ability and inclination wants to address it) is what are the relative relevant valuation techniques and metrics for ASICMiner and companies like ASICMiner.

The method used in the OP was "compare its projected revenue to some already established corps/their historical revenues and add a risk factor". This would seem like the sanest approach available.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 01:47:55 PM

That is of course if all goes well. And the fact friedcat somewhat omitted Details on mining specifically in his last update makes me uncertain on the timeline for the full 12TH.

I somehow overlooked this earlier. Here's the thing: all the investors that floated the devrisk for this project had their spot in the sun a week or so ago. They could have sold out and made a pretty penny. The fact that the stock wasn't at the time listed on a stock market cost them significantly in that they couldn't realize their gains. Who knows how long that window lasts (or indeed if it hasn't closed already)?

matauc12

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 02:45:45 PM

I somehow overlooked this earlier. Here's the thing: all the investors that floated the devrisk for this project had their spot in the sun a week or so ago. They could have sold out and made a pretty penny. The fact that the stock wasn't at the time listed on a stock market cost them significantly in that they couldn't realize their gains. Who knows how long that window lasts (or indeed if it hasn't closed already)?
I believe no stock market drove the price of the shares down (hopefully temporarily). Because as a seller the incentive to sell was good (roughly 10-12x ROI at .4 considering the btc buy price of 10$ which should be considered because of the multiplicative effect vs being long). That the potential ROI could have been better or not can be irrelevant to some people after that much ROI. Buyers on the other hand didn't have much to base their purchase price on which an abundance of micro purchases and day trade will usually correct the price at appropriate value based on more objective values like potential, confidence and speculation.

So basically, if all goes well, there should be more buyers, with proportionally less sellers with an appropriate stock market.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: