Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:38:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Potential fix for Apple Bitcoin ban  (Read 5465 times)
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 06:36:18 AM

We're all well aware that Apple has a disgust for anything that competes with iTunes credits, and thus bitcoin accepting apps (especially wallets) are not allowed. There is a potential fix for this though in the realm of games.

For those curious as to what I mean, ask yourselves-- didn't you grow up with a certain game related to money and property trading? Monopoly! What is those properties were actually representative of something else like a trade of value between another "player"?

Do you remember another little game called DIGIMON where you traded monsters? What if those monsters were just a representation of value? Do you remember being able to create said monster by insterting a CD into your drive and having an algorithm create one from the checksum/hash? Who's to stop you from creating monopoly money from a QR code?

Furthermore, with the Apple Game Center giving you all the tools (free API) for multiplayer games, what's to stop one talented coder from making an 'exchange game', or basically forex simulator? Desperate users could even buy fake bux (iTunes credits) in-app at a huge markup (30%+ for iTunes fees + risk of chargeback).

No, I'm not saying I'm making this right now (why would I ever admit that?), what I'm asking is, why isn't this avenue being tried by everyone else? Is the threat of eventually finding out and bashing it down too great?

Discuss  Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 06:39:46 AM

We're all well aware that Apple has a disgust for anything that competes with iTunes credits, and thus bitcoin accepting apps (especially wallets) are not allowed. There is a potential fix for this though in the realm of games.

For those curious as to what I mean, ask yourselves-- didn't you grow up with a certain game related to money and property trading? Monopoly! What is those properties were actually representative of something else like a trade of value between another "player"?

Do you remember another little game called DIGIMON where you traded monsters? What if those monsters were just a representation of value? Do you remember being able to create said monster by insterting a CD into your drive and having an algorithm create one from the checksum/hash? Who's to stop you from creating monopoly money from a QR code?

Furthermore, with the Apple Game Center giving you all the tools (free API) for multiplayer games, what's to stop one talented coder from making an 'exchange game', or basically forex simulator? Desperate users could even buy fake bux (iTunes credits) in-app at a huge markup (30%+ for iTunes fees + risk of chargeback).

No, I'm not saying I'm making this right now (why would I ever admit that?), what I'm asking is, why isn't this avenue being tried by everyone else? Is the threat of eventually finding out and bashing it down too great?

Discuss  Smiley

The best fixes I can see for the Apple Bitcoin ban is:
1) Android
2) Even better when it comes out: Ubuntu Phone
3) Jailbreak

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 06:42:59 AM

Discuss  Smiley

1) Android
3) Jailbreak

Well, that's not really a fix is it, it's more of a list of alternatives. (I use Android myself for that very reason!)

Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 08:37:44 AM

The blockchain app is still on the store, I thought?
K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 08:58:05 AM

Discuss  Smiley

1) Android
3) Jailbreak

Well, that's not really a fix is it, it's more of a list of alternatives. (I use Android myself for that very reason!)
the fix would be, ban apple Wink

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
flix
Legendary

Activity: 1227
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 09:45:43 AM

The problem with workarounds is that as soon as they become popular, Apple can easily ban them based on their ToS agreement, they might work for a while but are always vulnerable as long as they are on Apple property. Same thing with Facebook, Amazon, etc...

The best thing to do is bypass them completely, either by making app for other devices or making mobile-web-optimized solutions that are accessible from iPhones and iPads through a browser and beyong Apple's control.
bencoder

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 09:46:45 AM

This is like when people think they can hack around a stupid law by using some technicality.
It doesn't work like that. You will be convicted anyway, even though you found that watertight crack in the law that means you didn't, technically, break it.

Once Apple discovers how it is being used it will be banned. It doesn't matter what gimmick is used to camouflage the intended functionality. Or if you found a flaw in the TOS that means they should allow your app, they will ban it anyway, and maybe update the TOS, if they feel like it.
flix
Legendary

Activity: 1227

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 09:50:26 AM

Once Apple discovers how it is being used it will be banned. It doesn't matter what gimmick is used to camouflage the intended functionality. Or if you found a flaw in the TOS that means they should allow your app, they will ban it anyway, and maybe update the TOS, if they feel like it.

Exactly. And anything that becomes popular enough will be discovered pretty quickly.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 11:11:33 AM

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 12:03:34 PM

I appreciate the push in the right direction. I ran this idea by a friend and he said the same thing basically. "Why bother? This community only cares about freedom.". You guys proved him right and I'll remember it!

Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 12:24:46 PM

Er, I think lots of us would like to see better Bitcoin support on iOS. But your idea won't achieve that.
xxjs

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 12:50:39 PM

Er, I think lots of us would like to see better Bitcoin support on iOS. But your idea won't achieve that.
No need for bitcoin on IOS. It's a free market. Apple is a company in the market, just use your consumer power to choose something else.
dogisland

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 01:19:47 PM

Actually you could create a HTML5 wallet that would work on the iphone.

I tried to do this but the main think you need is access to the camera so that you can capture QRcodes to make payments. At the time most phone browsers didn't support javascript access to the camera. This might be changing. See. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9431475/html5-camera-access.

This would completely bypass itunes but still give users the functionality of the android based mobile wallets.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4435

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 02:46:26 PM

answer to OP's question

itunes 30% cut
amazons 30% cut
paypals cut
<insert other expensive currency fee's here>

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 09:37:22 PM

If Matthew didn't learn that from his previous loophole-finding attempt, he's probably not going to understand it now.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
Beans

Activity: 518

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 02:23:05 AM

The blockchain app is a bitcoin wallet app.. Not sure what apps have been blocked if any, but everything needed can be gotten on the appstore. You definitely don't need to jailbreak or buy a android to use a phone wallet.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2013, 03:07:44 AM

The blockchain app is a bitcoin wallet app.. Not sure what apps have been blocked if any, but everything needed can be gotten on the appstore. You definitely don't need to jailbreak or buy a android to use a phone wallet.

Bingo...at least one bitcoin wallet is not forbidden...and works quite well!

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 07:43:44 AM

True but one is still at the mercy of Apple since they can ban the wallet at any time and without notice. This not only defeats the whole point of Bitcoin, but also creates a situation far worse than using the traditional banking system since none of the checks and balances in the traditional banking system apply to Apple's DRM infested devices.

I will also add that Apple's closed walled garden business model can create a serious security threat to Bitcoin, since the security and integrity of Bitcoin is dependent on the owners of computing devices having complete control over their computing devices and not surrendering this control by the acceptance of DRM to a centralized authority.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 11:09:09 AM

I could never understand why on earth would anyone buy an apple product and let apple choose what is allowed to run on their device!!!!

gadsdengraphics

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 06:35:11 PM

This is like when people think they can hack around a stupid law by using some technicality.
It doesn't work like that. You will be convicted anyway, even though you found that watertight crack in the law that means you didn't, technically, break it.

Nailed it.

I was convicted a couple of years ago for "careless driving", even though I proved in court that I was in control of my vehicle the entire time, presented a "TSB" (technical service bulletin) showing that my model of vehicle had a known issue that could cause the brakes to seize, and I actually managed to avoid rear-ending the car in front of me, hitting an oncoming semi, or creaming the kids waiting for the school bus across the road. Because of all that, my truck ended up upside-down in a culvert - not a single piece of glass broken, and I was unhurt.

The judge told me, and I qoute: "I believe your driving wasn't the cause of the accident, and I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt since you did all you could not to damage anyone else's property... so I'm going to judge you guilty and seal the verdict so your insurance rates don't go up. You can pay the clerk on your way out."
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: