Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:23:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitbay Announce First Decentralized Market Release (out of Beta)  (Read 3709 times)
DishwashingUnit

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 12:53:43 PM

Does the peg mean it's pointless to speculate on BAY?

Will there be no way for people to buy in and own shares of the DAC's profits?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Munti

Activity: 661
Merit: 504

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 01:04:08 PM

No, it's not pointless. Notice David uses the term rolling peg. Meaning it's not fixed at a specific value versus US$ forever. Think of it as a stabilizer. It will take some of the volatility out, but price will still be able to go up and down.
Actually it's a little like a modern peg in fiat. The hard peg like Swiss franc that broke in 2015 has a long tradition of failing because at some point circumstances have changed so much that the cost of maintaining the peg gets to high. The modern peg (often not announced as a peg) has a target corridor that allows some deviation from target price. Also that target is adjusted when necessary.
We expect the effect of the peg to be a price that moves more like bluechip stock or fiat as opposed to penny stock and crypto.

What is DAC?
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 01:40:18 PM

It means you can pump but not dump  Wink
DishwashingUnit

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 01:41:21 PM

No, it's not pointless. Notice David uses the term rolling peg. Meaning it's not fixed at a specific value versus US$ forever. Think of it as a stabilizer. It will take some of the volatility out, but price will still be able to go up and down.
Actually it's a little like a modern peg in fiat. The hard peg like Swiss franc that broke in 2015 has a long tradition of failing because at some point circumstances have changed so much that the cost of maintaining the peg gets to high. The modern peg (often not announced as a peg) has a target corridor that allows some deviation from target price. Also that target is adjusted when necessary.
We expect the effect of the peg to be a price that moves more like bluechip stock or fiat as opposed to penny stock and crypto.

What is DAC?

thank you for the clarification. I think I understand now.

DAC = Decentralized Autonomous Company, or you call it a DAO, or however you want to phrase it, it's basically a way of saying a business on a blockchain. BitBay is a DAC, but if it offers its services for free it's not a profitable DAC. I'm asking if BAY will charge people for transactions, and if so, will part of that profit go towards increasing the price of BAY when the peg rolls?
whale_shark

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 05:50:19 PM

have read up on this and seems genuine. Good work Bitbay!
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2016, 07:17:34 PM

I have to say, David Zimbeck is one tenacious fellow. The way he got trashed last year over the ICO shenanigans, it took real staying power to stick with Bitbay. Props to him. Smiley

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

dzimbeck
Legendary

Activity: 2412
Merit: 1044

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 08:00:40 PM

Here we go Ethereum Paradox again! BitBay is technobabble complexity (feature after unvetted feature being promised) without first explaining how they solve the scaling problem of a block chain.

PoShit consensus again.

Another child prodigy genius claim (Zimbeck redux of Vitalik).

None of these shitcoins are going to scale and remain decentralized.

These are just P&Ds.

The truth I am stating won't be vindicated until perhaps another year or two hence. So enjoy yourselves.

You are wrong on all accounts here. The markets are PEER TO PEER. They leverage Bitmessage and don't use a blockchain. This can scale to any level since the contract data is only store about markets that you care about and Bitmessage only holds 2 days in memory and I've done a custom build to allow determined sellers to resubmit orders.

So yeah there is no bloat. Thats the POINT. I'm not pumping Bitbay, I've never even sold a single coin. I'm simply completing Halo/BlackHalo/BitHalo/Bitbay as promised. Maybe you don't realize this but I worked on BitHalo for free for almost 2 years before i was into the Bitbay project.

The pegging is a serious feature you should also read up more on before insulting people without a technical background.
Munti

Activity: 661
Merit: 504

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 08:09:07 PM

What is DAC?

thank you for the clarification. I think I understand now.

DAC = Decentralized Autonomous Company, or you call it a DAO, or however you want to phrase it, it's basically a way of saying a business on a blockchain. BitBay is a DAC, but if it offers its services for free it's not a profitable DAC. I'm asking if BAY will charge people for transactions, and if so, will part of that profit go towards increasing the price of BAY when the peg rolls?

No we will not charge for transactions other than an anti spam fee.  Not for the things that are on the road map now anyway.
Fuserleer
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2016, 09:52:15 PM

I have to say, David Zimbeck is one tenacious fellow. The way he got trashed last year over the ICO shenanigans, it took real staying power to stick with Bitbay. Props to him. Smiley

I think every committed developer around here has been bashed, and bashed hard at some point, usually for events out of their control, or by others manipulating a desire to "do the right thing".

It takes a certain kind of person to continue regardless of all that kinda heat, so that kind of commitment alone should be enough for any peace of mind anyone may need.

Radix - DLT x.0

Web - http://radix.global  Forums - http://forum.radix.global Twitter - @radixdlt
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 10:36:10 PM
Last edit: March 29, 2016, 10:51:51 PM by toknormal

The pegging is a serious feature you should also read up more on before insulting people without a technical background.

Ah, you didn't know. Insults and arrogance are actually TPTB_'s currency of choice since, unlike yourself, they're a lot more accessible to him than anything he's (not) capable of hammering out on a blockchain.

Your mistake was to have spent a year and a half knocking your pan in actually producing something when of course you should have been spending it traversing bitcointalk threads firefighting trolls and dishing out technical put-downs    Wink
dzimbeck
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 11:33:33 PM

As I'm always short on time perhaps someone knows if this release of BitBay supports auctions?

Simple yes or no will do Smiley

Hey saw this a bit late, YES the Buy/Sell anything template has auctions, reverse auctions and multiple shipping options and billing styles

Currently you can still sell things with the "custom" template but this is way better and more user friendly

Also take note of the current existing coins for cash template which is like a decentralized localbitcoins with a low volume price tracker
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 262

View Profile
March 30, 2016, 12:00:44 AM
Last edit: March 30, 2016, 12:21:53 AM by TPTB_need_war

Here we go Ethereum Paradox again! BitBay is technobabble complexity (feature after unvetted feature being promised) without first explaining how they solve the scaling problem of a block chain.

PoShit consensus again.

Another child prodigy genius claim (Zimbeck redux of Vitalik).

None of these shitcoins are going to scale and remain decentralized.

These are just P&Ds.

The truth I am stating won't be vindicated until perhaps another year or two hence. So enjoy yourselves.

You are wrong on all accounts here. The markets are PEER TO PEER. They leverage Bitmessage and don't use a blockchain. This can scale to any level since the contract data is only store about markets that you care about and Bitmessage only holds 2 days in memory and I've done a custom build to allow determined sellers to resubmit orders.

So yeah there is no bloat. Thats the POINT. I'm not pumping Bitbay, I've never even sold a single coin. I'm simply completing Halo/BlackHalo/BitHalo/Bitbay as promised. Maybe you don't realize this but I worked on BitHalo for free for almost 2 years before i was into the Bitbay project.

David unlike Vitalik, you are willing to come here and debate. Good! Please point me to the white paper so that I may peer review your technological claims in sufficient detail?

For example, I will want to see how you lock in commitments in a P2P consensus. And I expect to find a flaw.

Fuserleer
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2016, 12:05:04 AM

As I'm always short on time perhaps someone knows if this release of BitBay supports auctions?

Simple yes or no will do Smiley

Hey saw this a bit late, YES the Buy/Sell anything template has auctions, reverse auctions and multiple shipping options and billing styles

Currently you can still sell things with the "custom" template but this is way better and more user friendly

Also take note of the current existing coins for cash template which is like a decentralized localbitcoins with a low volume price tracker

No worries, if you're anything like me you're busy as hell Smiley

If they are active now in the beta that may earn you the crown of the first marketplace platform with functional auctions.  I know its been on the road map for a number of projects for quite some time, but unless I'm mistaken, none have launched a functional solution at all yet....so well done Smiley

Radix - DLT x.0

Web - http://radix.global  Forums - http://forum.radix.global Twitter - @radixdlt
Nxtblg
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2016, 12:53:30 AM

I think every committed developer around here has been bashed, and bashed hard at some point, usually for events out of their control, or by others manipulating a desire to "do the right thing".

It takes a certain kind of person to continue regardless of all that kinda heat, so that kind of commitment alone should be enough for any peace of mind anyone may need.

I hear ya. Myself, I haven't gotten that trick down but that's not a big loss in my case.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

dzimbeck
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2016, 01:55:05 AM

I hear ya. Myself, I haven't gotten that trick down but that's not a big loss in my case.

All that matters are your actions, not your reputation. You are your own judge, whom you face daily.

It should be noted bitcointalk is (controlled opposition) ... there is more to those "fake profiles" on here than people think. They are pushing govt agenda... just sayin...

And there is a little known secret in this world... the more hated the person the more likely they did something RIGHT (Stan Meyer, Royal Rife)

Let me leave you with this:

When you get what you want in your struggle for self
And the world makes you king for a day
Just go to the mirror and look at yourself
And see what that man has to say.

For it isn’t your father, or mother, or wife
Whose judgment upon you must pass
The fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the one staring back from the glass.

He’s the fellow to please – never mind all the rest
For he’s with you, clear to the end
And you’ve passed your most difficult, dangerous test
If the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you’ve cheated the man in the glass.
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 262

View Profile
March 30, 2016, 04:52:18 AM
Last edit: March 30, 2016, 05:08:17 AM by TPTB_need_war

David directed me to the Help Desk at https://bithalo.org where I skimmed through the White paper and the section 2.10 of the Documentation.

I find it difficult to follow quickly due to the way it is not written with a concise explanation. And I am not really willing to expend the effort to attempt to reverse engineer the possibilities of what he attempting to describe. It appears he is proposing a protocol wherein the seller of for example BTC could escrow the BTC with the buyer such that the buyer risks double the BTC if the buyer doesn't pay the fiat or commodity to the seller. But I can't understand the protocol; for example he makes a statement in the white paper which I don't understand, "Perhaps Bob wishes to purchase bitcoins using cash from Alice".

I will await David to clarify.

Btw, ostensibly he is attempting a very steep learning curve at his age and the level of programming experience he had coming into this. So it is expected that at his age and level of experience, that his articulation would be somewhat difficult to follow, that is unless he is Eric S. Raymond who is a verbal and math genius.

dzimbeck
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2016, 03:23:50 PM

David directed me to the Help Desk at https://bithalo.org where I skimmed through the White paper and the section 2.10 of the Documentation.

I find it difficult to follow quickly due to the way it is not written with a concise explanation. And I am not really willing to expend the effort to attempt to reverse engineer the possibilities of what he attempting to describe. It appears he is proposing a protocol wherein the seller of for example BTC could escrow the BTC with the buyer such that the buyer risks double the BTC if the buyer doesn't pay the fiat or commodity to the seller. But I can't understand the protocol; for example he makes a statement in the white paper which I don't understand, "Perhaps Bob wishes to purchase bitcoins using cash from Alice".

I will await David to clarify.

Btw, ostensibly he is attempting a very steep learning curve at his age and the level of programming experience he had coming into this. So it is expected that at his age and level of experience, that his articulation would be somewhat difficult to follow, that is unless he is Eric S. Raymond who is a verbal and math genius.

Whats not concise? The protocol was explained from many angles with diagrams as well.

Most crucially, the software exists, works and can be used. Actions speak louder than words. The code speaks for itself.

I think the writepaper could use an update however since its been 2 years and now that its fully coded i can speak from experience in retrograde.

The cash example refers to people who buy bitcoin. Traditionally Bitcoin is bought otc or through escrow. But otc is dangerous they can keep your cash and not send the bitcoins. And an escrow agent could steal funds. Furthermore, an escrow agent cannot truly calidate if deception took place or thr cash never arrived.

So bob wants to buy 100 usd of bitcoin from alice lets say.

So Bob deposits 100 usd in btc (to prevent himself from extorting from alice)
And Alice advances 100 usd in btc for the purchase plus 100 usd deposit

Now Alice is out 200 Bob is out 100 locked into an escrow that each of them has 50% control. They agreed that the time limit is 2 weeks. If this time limit expires they both destroy the escrow resulting in loss for both parties. Since that cant be prevented they must work together.

Now Bob sends 100 in cash via western union. Note this is the first time in history WU can be used trustless without an escrow agent or laws tacitly as a deterrent.

Once Alice gets the 100 she is still -100 because of her deposit and advanced payment. Bob is -200 because his deposit and cash advance.

Now they release escrow since they agree the deal is complete. Bob gets his deposit back and 100 usd in btc and Alice gets her deposit back so now she has 100 usd in cash in exchange for her btc. The sale of btcoins is complete. Both parties are happy and nobody needed a government or third party looming over the deal. And more importantly, at no point could Bob or Alice steal from this deal or try to lie to the other because if they had they both would have lost.

Lke ive said before as well deposits dont always have to be equal to the value. They can be 10% the value since any deposit in this deal would be a net loss for a thief. However make the deposits high is best when dealing with an untrusted party. You deposit thus reflects your level of trust.
Nxtblg
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2016, 05:39:59 PM

Now Alice is out 200 Bob is out 100 locked into an escrow that each of them has 50% control. They agreed that the time limit is 2 weeks. If this time limit expires they both destroy the escrow resulting in loss for both parties. Since that cant be prevented they must work together.

Now Bob sends 100 in cash via western union. Note this is the first time in history WU can be used trustless without an escrow agent or laws tacitly as a deterrent.

Once Alice gets the 100 she is still -100 because of her deposit and advanced payment. Bob is -200 because his deposit and cash advance.

Now they release escrow since they agree the deal is complete. Bob gets his deposit back and 100 usd in btc and Alice gets her deposit back so now she has 100 usd in cash in exchange for her btc. The sale of btcoins is complete. Both parties are happy and nobody needed a government or third party looming over the deal. And more importantly, at no point could Bob or Alice steal from this deal or try to lie to the other because if they had they both would have lost.

Lke ive said before as well deposits dont always have to be equal to the value. They can be 10% the value since any deposit in this deal would be a net loss for a thief. However make the deposits high is best when dealing with an untrusted party. You deposit thus reflects your level of trust.

It certainly is a neat solution to the problem of trust-free exchange. But it does leave open the question, "why would a seller and a buyer agree to making security deposits? What's wrong with eBay's Trust and Safety?"

After mulling this question over, I've got a somewhat gloomy but realistic answer: dark markets. Markets where neither the buyer nor the seller have recourse to the law to assure that the other fulfills the contract.

Interestingly, with the dark-market option you've got a real use case even if it seems silly.

So tyler wants to buy 100 usd of cocaine from de'tasho lets say.

So tyler deposits 100 usd in btc (to prevent himself from extorting from de'tasho)
And de'tasho advances 100 usd in btc for the purchase plus 100 usd deposit

Now de'tasho is out 200 tyler is out 100 locked into an escrow that each of them has 50% control. They agreed that the time limit for the deal goin' down is 2 weeks. If this time limit expires they both destroy the escrow resulting in loss for both parties. Since that cant be prevented they must work together.

Now tyler sends 100 in cash via western union. Note this is the first time in history WU can be used trustless without an escrow agent or laws tacitly as a deterrent.

Once de'tasho gets the 100 he is still -100 because of his deposit and advanced payment. tyler is -200 because his deposit and cash advance.

Now they release escrow since they agree the deal is complete. tyler gets his deposit back and 100 usd in btc and de'tasho gets his deposit back so now he has 100 usd in cash in exchange for his cocaine. The sale of the happy dust is complete. Both parties are happy and nobody needed a government, third party or a posse of drive-by shooters looming over the deal. And more importantly, at no point could tyler or de'tasho steal from this deal or try to lie to the other because if they had they both would have lost.

There's actually a humanitarian argument to be made for this use case. From a humanist standpoint, mutual escrow is a helluva lot better than a drive-by shooting. The trouble with this specific use case is that inner-city-type drug dealers take a lot of pride in retaliating physically against someone who they feel has cheated them. Up to and including murder, for the hard-core. Getting them to shift to compulsory two-sided escrow would be as difficult as convincing a 19th-century frontier vigilante that the rule of law is in his best interest. He'd be quite resistant to giving up his frontier right to "Hang 'Em High", even if leaving it to the law is in his best interest.

A more promising dark-market option is otherwise-legitimate transactions that have to occur without legal protection because of associated illegalities. Case in point: buying (say) shoes from a black-market stall or pop-up shop run by an illegal immigrant. There's nothing illegal in this transaction in itself, provided the shoes were't stolen, but an illegal immigrant is not someone who's going to call in the cops if cheated - at least, not without a lot of reluctance. Double escrow could work in this clime, tho' you'd have to have some evangelists that were legitimate members of that subculture prior to evangelizing for Bitbay.

-----

But for here, I can't think of any better use case than an altcoin ICO!

dzimbeck
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2016, 07:52:26 PM

It certainly is a neat solution to the problem of trust-free exchange. But it does leave open the question, "why would a seller and a buyer agree to making security deposits? What's wrong with eBay's Trust and Safety?"

After mulling this question over, I've got a somewhat gloomy but realistic answer: dark markets. Markets where neither the buyer nor the seller have recourse to the law to assure that the other fulfills the contract.

Interestingly, with the dark-market option you've got a real use case even if it seems silly.

So tyler wants to buy 100 usd of cocaine from de'tasho lets say.

So tyler deposits 100 usd in btc (to prevent himself from extorting from de'tasho)
And de'tasho advances 100 usd in btc for the purchase plus 100 usd deposit

Now de'tasho is out 200 tyler is out 100 locked into an escrow that each of them has 50% control. They agreed that the time limit for the deal goin' down is 2 weeks. If this time limit expires they both destroy the escrow resulting in loss for both parties. Since that cant be prevented they must work together.

Now tyler sends 100 in cash via western union. Note this is the first time in history WU can be used trustless without an escrow agent or laws tacitly as a deterrent.

Once de'tasho gets the 100 he is still -100 because of his deposit and advanced payment. tyler is -200 because his deposit and cash advance.

Now they release escrow since they agree the deal is complete. tyler gets his deposit back and 100 usd in btc and de'tasho gets his deposit back so now he has 100 usd in cash in exchange for his cocaine. The sale of the happy dust is complete. Both parties are happy and nobody needed a government, third party or a posse of drive-by shooters looming over the deal. And more importantly, at no point could tyler or de'tasho steal from this deal or try to lie to the other because if they had they both would have lost.

There's actually a humanitarian argument to be made for this use case. From a humanist standpoint, mutual escrow is a helluva lot better than a drive-by shooting. The trouble with this specific use case is that inner-city-type drug dealers take a lot of pride in retaliating physically against someone who they feel has cheated them. Up to and including murder, for the hard-core. Getting them to shift to compulsory two-sided escrow would be as difficult as convincing a 19th-century frontier vigilante that the rule of law is in his best interest. He'd be quite resistant to giving up his frontier right to "Hang 'Em High", even if leaving it to the law is in his best interest.

A more promising dark-market option is otherwise-legitimate transactions that have to occur without legal protection because of associated illegalities. Case in point: buying (say) shoes from a black-market stall or pop-up shop run by an illegal immigrant. There's nothing illegal in this transaction in itself, provided the shoes were't stolen, but an illegal immigrant is not someone who's going to call in the cops if cheated - at least, not without a lot of reluctance. Double escrow could work in this clime, tho' you'd have to have some evangelists that were legitimate members of that subculture prior to evangelizing for Bitbay.

-----

But for here, I can't think of any better use case than an altcoin ICO!

Well there is so many things I could say in response to this.

What you say is true. But consider the fact on E-bay people constantly get empty boxes and still are
forced to pay. Paypal payments get reversed and how can Ebay know who is telling the truth?

They GUESS thats how.

Notice in USA they hold 25% of the worlds prison population, 85% in the prison for victimless crimes
(collecting rainwater, selling weed, not paying taxes, permit violations the list goes on)

So i think there is a major confusion here about what is legal and what is MORAL. Two totally separate
things. I can make the argument that jail is barbaric, disgusting and immoral.

Regardless, you are right. Society will not adopt new ideas so easily and in the case of your criminals
they do seem to prefer violence, it makes them feel important or something.

You have the oxycotin scumbag billionaires who are basically just legalized heroin pushers.
For people who think the line is grey its not, the world is just run by the self righteous.
Im sorry for injecting "idealism" into this but its true.

With that said, lets look at ways double deposit solves the problem of DECEPTION which is societies
biggest problem. NOTE: It only solves the problem of deception if adopted and like you said
human psychology makes this a very low probability since propaganda comes first.

Two parties involved, victim and perpetrator. The victim goes to court and cries that they
were harmed. The perp has a good lawyer and wins. Judges, juries, hell even 1000s of people can
be wrong in a good frame job! I can think of a good frame job that happened in the month of September
*cough* *cough* and more than half the world would accuse the wrong party.

In essence the ONLY people who know the truth behind a crime is
TWO people. The victim and assialant. Nobody else knows.

So why not reduce commerce to that? They make deposits to prevent lying and cheating. Both parties
deposit to avoid extortion. The network itself can raise or lower deposit levels. And someone
who abuses that system will eventually become poor.

Here you switch society upside down. The rich people are no longer the liars and self-righteous.
No the rich people would be the HONEST hard workers. The liars would be poor because they
keep blowing up escrows and losing funds for themselves. Basic math.

There are many use cases besides "Dark markets" where Halo is instantly valuable, maybe in the tune
of billions of dollars. Here are a few:

International Trade and Shipping (no more expensive insurance, deposits cover daily volume, no more
lost shippments, no more tricks)

Telcom (no more finding escrows, making complicated wire routes, finding banks, dealing between countries)

Outsourcing (no more procrastinating workers, lies about credentials, poor performance... all gone thanks to the fear of loss)

Cash for Coins (no more local bitcoins, countries that cant get BTC now CAN and with low fees P2P)

Barter (impovershed countries with no trust can use deposits at kiosks and trade commodities instead of cash)

International Business (countries with bad legal system, opposing laws, can find middle ground do trusted business)

So i think we should realize those industries need this, but they don't know how bad they need it.

When the tree is rotting at the root, you don't clip the leaves you CURE THE ROOT. Even if the people
resist this change, it must happen even if not 100 years from now because things cannot stay broken forever.
If we don't use the best protocols then who will?
Nxtblg
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2016, 09:18:56 PM

Well there is so many things I could say in response to this.

What you say is true. But consider the fact on E-bay people constantly get empty boxes and still are
forced to pay. Paypal payments get reversed and how can Ebay know who is telling the truth?

They GUESS thats how.

Now, we're talking!

But, I can tell you from sad experience that folks who set up marketplaces in competition with eBay have almost always struck out. There was even a team of three Power Sellers who banded together to do so; nothing came of their plan. eBay's network effect is too strong to crack, at least by a grassroots team.

Notice in USA they hold 25% of the worlds prison population, 85% in the prison for victimless crimes
(collecting rainwater, selling weed, not paying taxes, permit violations the list goes on)

So i think there is a major confusion here about what is legal and what is MORAL. Two totally separate
things. I can make the argument that jail is barbaric, disgusting and immoral....

I really should clarify. I wrote my earlier post from the perspective of a "hard-nosed realist" that was looking for viable use cases. To be honest, I didn't know you were more of the idealist type.

There are many use cases besides "Dark markets" where Halo is instantly valuable, maybe in the tune
of billions of dollars. Here are a few:

International Trade and Shipping (no more expensive insurance, deposits cover daily volume, no more
lost shippments, no more tricks)

Telcom (no more finding escrows, making complicated wire routes, finding banks, dealing between countries)

Outsourcing (no more procrastinating workers, lies about credentials, poor performance... all gone thanks to the fear of loss)

Cash for Coins (no more local bitcoins, countries that cant get BTC now CAN and with low fees P2P)

Barter (impovershed countries with no trust can use deposits at kiosks and trade commodities instead of cash)

International Business (countries with bad legal system, opposing laws, can find middle ground do trusted business)

So i think we should realize those industries need this, but they don't know how bad they need it.

There we go. Places where legal protections are iffy or non-existent: these are the target markets for Bitbay and/or Bithalo. But the trouble is, sectors like that naturally breed a low-trust mentality that inculcates suspicion of strangers. The low trust and wariness serves as a substitute for legal protection. That requires an evangelist to have "roots" in one of these communities, else it'll be enormously difficult to break through that suspicion barrier.

When the tree is rotting at the root, you don't clip the leaves you CURE THE ROOT. Even if the people
resist this change, it must happen even if not 100 years from now because things cannot stay broken forever.
If we don't use the best protocols then who will?

Well, a Bithalo-escrowed altcoin ICO would help...

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: