Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:03:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is ASIC?  (Read 3676 times)
mjc (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2013, 10:49:31 PM

So if Avalon delivered weeks ago, where is all the new traffic?

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Maciek

Activity: 254
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 11:47:03 PM

yeah
it's a good question...

Isn't that weird that only 1 person received the ASIC and he is apparently not using it?
... ?
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2013, 11:49:34 PM

http://youtu.be/WveEco2Rq2w
JustJake

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

Numisalis - Physical Tradable Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2013, 01:47:07 PM

Just thinking that myself.  One confirmed delivery report for Avalon and a very slight increase in network hashrate.  Certainly does not look like anything really got delivered.  Hopefully BFL is not the same story.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 02:08:42 PM
Last edit: February 08, 2013, 02:38:24 PM by os2sam

So if Avalon delivered weeks ago, where is all the new traffic?

Network hash rate is up 3.5 2.5 Ths/s and rising gradually daily.

Seems to me to be inline with ASIC's coming online a handful at a time.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2013, 02:43:49 PM

i thought one person ordered most of batch 1, right?

maybe that person doesnt have theirs yet
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 03:01:40 PM

I guess I wouldn't know as I don't have access to Avalons order list.

But if that is so it would seem plausible that they would only partial ship that one persons order in an attempt to keep the bandwidth distributed for as long as they can.

But that is all just conjecture.

What we do know is that the network hash rate has increased or at least the rate which blocks are being solved has increased which in turn has increased the hash rate estimate.
Sam

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4435

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 02:16:05 AM

from all accounts batch one of avalons had 300 orders

300 x 68Ghash=20Thash

i know the 3 units that would be advertised to the community by the litecoin foundation, a well known blogger. and someone else (cant find much details on) arrived.

but the other 297.... hmmmmm

i was hoping/expecting a faster upclimb in hash rate. above anything ever experienced before.
http://blockchain.info/charts/hash-rate
many GPU/FPGA miners got the hashrate up to 28Thash in december 2012 and just as the avalon news broke. so i was expecting a new high, over the 28Thash existent high.

i guess its a waiting game.

final thought:
the 2 high spots could have been avalon testing some ASIC units so the average 'high' could be around 24-25Thash, many variables/possibilities need to be calculated. EG FPGA/GPU miners may flock to other alt currencies and leave only ASIC miners with their 20Thash of combined power in the next few weeks

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 03:20:01 AM

from all accounts batch one of avalons had 300 orders

300 x 68Ghash=20Thash

Well all 300 didn't/won't ship all at once.  They are hand carrying them to DHL a few a day.  At least that is what that one guy said when he announced that they started shipping.  So couple that with the CYN and it'll be a while before they all get delivered.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4435

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 05:27:35 AM

couple a day. id fit 5 in my car at a time and go back and forth every hour. getting atleast 50 (just 1 guy one car) released a day, so they are all out within the week.

just checked out their website (Shipping Time: Jan 20th – March 1st, 2013) = under 20 per day released (15 days to release(=300 units) + 15 days international shipping roughly(left over time for weekend considerations)).

so based on 14 day international shipping. and excluding weekends
20 units released january 20th would be arriving this week maximum -8th february (friday)
20 units released january 21st would be also arriving next week maximum - 11th february (monday)
20 units released january 22st would be also arriving next week week maximum -  12th february
ETC ETC

so lets give it a week and see if the hash rate increases (rough approximation of a 1Thash increase per weekday)

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 06:27:55 AM

so lets give it a week and see if the hash rate increases (rough approximation of a 1Thash increase per weekday)
It's already been almost 3 weeks.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
mjc (OP)

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2013, 02:20:21 PM

But if that is so it would seem plausible that they would only partial ship that one persons order in an attempt to keep the bandwidth distributed for as long as they can.

What we do know is that the network hash rate has increased or at least the rate which blocks are being solved has increased which in turn has increased the hash rate estimate.
Sam

I'm not sure where you are seeing that:  http://bitcoincharts.com/bitcoin/

The hash-rate Huh looks steady to me.

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 02:27:55 PM

Sam

I'm not sure where you are seeing that:  http://bitcoincharts.com/bitcoin/

The hash-rate Huh looks steady to me.

The hash rate when Jeff Garzik received his Avalon was 21.47 Ths/s.  Today it is 24.13 Ths/s.  So that's a little more than 2.5Ths/s increase, or so it seems to me.  Granted that is far from an in depth analysis, I'm just looking at the number, which is down to 24.07 now.  One of the Avalons must have crashed Smiley.
Sam

mjc (OP)

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2013, 07:26:07 PM

But before they claimed to ship it was at 25 - 30 TH.  I don't think the current network hash rate is indicative of ASIC in play.  Maybe they are, time will tell.  It just seems weird that so much time passed and none are running.

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 07:40:08 PM

But before they claimed to ship it was at 25 - 30 TH.  I don't think the current network hash rate is indicative of ASIC in play.  Maybe they are, time will tell.  It just seems weird that so much time passed and none are running.

You may well be correct.  The little bump that I saw may well be GPU miners taking advantage of the good Bitcoin price at the moment.  I too thought that there would be a much greater bump in the pool hash rate by now because of the Avalons.

I think there could be small numbers coming on gradually.  At least I hope so.  I'd hate to think that Avalon only made 2 or 3 units.

coastermonger

Activity: 367
Merit: 250

Find me at Bitrated

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 03:43:43 PM

What's more likely is that people are underestimating the time it takes to ship non-priority.  One thing I do not agree with however, is the decision to not release tracking numbers.  I wish there was a way to call up DHL and ask "Hey is there a package en-route to my house?  What's the ETA?"  Surely they of all people would know.

Bitrated user: Rees.
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 03:55:31 PM

What's more likely is that people are underestimating the time it takes to ship non-priority.  One thing I do not agree with however, is the decision to not release tracking numbers.  I wish there was a way to call up DHL and ask "Hey is there a package en-route to my house?  What's the ETA?"  Surely they of all people would know.

You mean release the tracking numbers to the general public or to the customers that bought them?

Did you order a Avalon?

glitch003

Activity: 219
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 11:41:31 PM

FYI, UPS myChoice will email you a few days in advance that a package is coming to your house even if you've never received a tracking number.  Granted, it only works when UPS is the carrier and it's $80 a year IIRC.
SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 12:05:09 AM

What's more likely is that people are underestimating the time it takes to ship non-priority. 

I think you are underestimating how many of us have first hand experience in receiving packages from DHL on a weekly basis shipped from CN and HK

DHL is not non-priority

DHL Deutsche Post in Europe, now that is non-priority. 3 days tops.

DHL from HK is perfectly predicatable
davebodger

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 12:52:35 AM

BTCGuild increased by more than 1 Thash in last 24 hours.  Shocked
Is this a sign?

If you think I deserve it - BTC always welcome - 14GkxT2xcpgvGVBgMjtGeFiXrxnttBSRRF
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: