Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:13:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will tip BTC for good info/suggestions on the hardware I'm about to buy  (Read 4740 times)
AreYouCereal

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:47:52 PM

Just a observation (and something I want to know myself)

The motherboard your buying has 2 x16 slots for your two cards...Fair enough
But in the stats on them it says one is x16 and one is x4

PCI Express 2.0 x16
2 (x16, x4)

Does this mean one slot is slower and therefore if your using this for gaming does it mean your going to lose performance on one of your cards

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ [D]ecentralized application [E]liminated third parties [C]ontent distribution
  █ DECENT FOUNDATION    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░   JOIN NOW! ICO ⏰ 10th of September
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ [E]ncrypted & secure         [N]o borders                  [T]imeless reputation

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tito13kfm

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:51:31 PM

PCI Express 2.0 x16
2 (x16, x4)

Does this mean one slot is slower and therefore if your using this for gaming does it mean your going to lose performance on one of your cards

It means that when both slots are in use, they will run at x16 and x4 respectively.  The actual performance difference in games between an x4 and x16 slot is somewhere between 2-10% depending on the game and card used.

Find a sub $200 x16/x16 board is near impossible.  x8/x8 would be the better option, but in reality a user would likely not notice much of a difference.
AreYouCereal

Activity: 82

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:57:48 PM

PCI Express 2.0 x16
2 (x16, x4)

It means that when both slots are in use, they will run at x16 and x4 respectively.  The actual performance difference in games between an x4 and x16 slot is somewhere between 2-10% depending on the game and card used.

Find a sub $200 x16/x16 board is near impossible.  x8/x8 would be the better option, but in reality a user would likely not notice much of a difference.

Ahh.. OK thanks for explaining

However I'll see your Sub $200 and raise you this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130274&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Motherboards+-+AMD-_-MSI-_-13130274

OP this had 4 x16 slots incase you ever decide to expand your mining rig with another card or two..No mods needed

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ [D]ecentralized application [E]liminated third parties [C]ontent distribution
  █ DECENT FOUNDATION    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░   JOIN NOW! ICO ⏰ 10th of September
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ [E]ncrypted & secure         [N]o borders                  [T]imeless reputation
LegitBit

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 10:03:28 PM

This is awesome, and hits the price I was looking for much better. This is what I'm going with.

Thanks, out of curiosity, which option are you planning on? Fusion or the other motherboard and processor?

Donate : 1EiAKUmTVtqXsaGLKQQVvLT9DDnHsT7jTZ (Block Explorer)
Insuremeplz (OP)

Activity: 113

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 10:08:57 PM

This is awesome, and hits the price I was looking for much better. This is what I'm going with.

Thanks, out of curiosity, which option are you planning on? Fusion or the other motherboard and processor?

Other motherboard and processor, its a better processor right? I had a little wiggle room in my budget so I figured I'd spend slightly more
LegitBit

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 10:22:24 PM

Other motherboard and processor, its a better processor right? I had a little wiggle room in my budget so I figured I'd spend slightly more

Yes, it is a very nice processor.

It is physically a 4 core, but locked to a 2 core, I was able to unlock mine and overclock to 3.5 GHz easily. PM me sometime if you are looking for help with that.

I used that and a 5770 to play Metro 2033, Starcraft 2, Crysis Warhead, Mass Effect 2, all settings up at 1024x768 on a 26inch TV, etc.. so it should be just fine.

PcChip

Activity: 418
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 10:27:10 PM

Whoever said RAM over 4GB is only useful in high resolutions is wrong. The performance at a certain screen resolution is only affected by video ram, onboard the graphics card. Not system RAM.

Also, whoever said having a PSU with only one rail is dangerous is dead wrong - it's the opposite.  Having one high quality rail means you don't have to worry about load balancing between rails.

Legacy signature from 2011: 
All rates with Phoenix 1.50 / PhatK
5850 - 400 MH/s  |  5850 - 355 MH/s | 5830 - 310 MH/s  |  GTX570 - 115 MH/s | 5770 - 210 MH/s | 5770 - 200 MH/s
tito13kfm

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 10:34:42 PM

Yes, it is a very nice processor.

It is physically a 4 core, but locked to a 2 core, I was able to unlock mine and overclock to 3.5 GHz easily. PM me sometime if you are looking for help with that.

I used that and a 5770 to play Metro 2033, Starcraft 2, Crysis Warhead, Mass Effect 2, all settings up at 1024x768 on a 26inch TV, etc.. so it should be just fine.

It was binned.  Meaning that they either needed more x2 processors at the moment so disabled 2 of the cores of an x4 or there were some flaws with 1 or 2 of the cores on an x4.  The success rate of unlocking on x2 processors has plummeted from almost certain to work, down to you're lucky if you get 1 to unlock.
LegitBit

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 10:45:50 PM

Whoever said RAM over 4GB is only useful in high resolutions is wrong. The performance at a certain screen resolution is only affected by video ram, onboard the graphics card. Not system RAM.

Nope, system RAM is still used to swap the data before being loaded into video ram, where the textures are buffered for rendering.

High system RAM can actually be beneficial at high resolutions in crossfire and sli configurations.

I beleive anandtech or tweaktown had an article on this.

But no, system ram IS used when playing games, though it usually is not a limiting factor since the RAM is only used temporarily. Again, only at extremely high resolutions does this make a difference.

I personally only use 4GB and system ram has never been a problem.

nphard

Activity: 66

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 03:14:01 AM

I hate to do this, but Fuck Insuremeplz.  He agreed to pay me in bitcoins to help him put together and setup a mining computer.  After the deal was made, he completely ignored me, and is now looking for help for free.  I understand it's hard to make deals with the unstable exchange rate, but I would have been willing to renegotiate.  A simple "sorry, I changed my mind" would have appeased me.  I could have really used those bitcoins he promised me, and I would like to ask you all to stop helping him.
Insuremeplz (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 03:27:15 AM

I hate to do this, but Fuck Insuremeplz.  He agreed to pay me in bitcoins to help him put together and setup a mining computer.  After the deal was made, he completely ignored me, and is now looking for help for free.  I understand it's hard to make deals with the unstable exchange rate, but I would have been willing to renegotiate.  A simple "sorry, I changed my mind" would have appeased me.  I could have really used those bitcoins he promised me, and I would like to ask you all to stop helping him.

Thanks so much for the kind words, but this post makes you look a little insane. I did make a thread asking for help looking for someone to walk me through the entire process, and you kindly responded to my post offering to help for what I believe was 25BTC (what I offered, which was about $60 at the time.) I responded letting you know I'd get back to you in a few days when I figured out my budget situation, in which time BTC pretty much tripled in value. Did you really expect me to pay you that amount, for not having done any work yet other than responding to a forum post saying you'd be willing to help? Get real.
LegitBit

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 03:38:59 AM

In a situation like that, a small payment verified with block explorer would be appropriate to clear community reputation.

25BTC would be insane at the current price.

People need to stop posting tip ammounts in bitcoin. With the market fluctuating those promises can become unrealistic.

A good way to avoid this is to post tip promises as such : "I will tip (USD)  equivalent in bitcoin for help with ____ "

nphard

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 04:18:18 AM

I understand it's hard to make deals with the unstable exchange rate, but I would have been willing to renegotiate

Did you read my post?
lonestar

Activity: 13

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 04:29:47 AM

Ditch the CPU, RAM, DVD, HDD.
Get a sempron 140 - uses about 50-60 less watts (if underclocked to 800mhz).  $35 shipped
Source free ram, dvd, hdd from other computers. $free
You can go with a cheaper mobo if you don't want latest features (i've seen some dual PCI-e for $59 shipped.
Upgrade later after you are done mining, parts will be cheaper in the future too.
Insuremeplz (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 04:30:48 AM

I understand it's hard to make deals with the unstable exchange rate, but I would have been willing to renegotiate

Did you read my post?

I read your post. I'm sorry I didn't write you a courtesy email to say "sorry I will no longer need your help" but to be honest, you really don't have any reason to complain as you didn't do any work for me other than send off a PM offering your services. It's hardly a reason to troll me other than the fact you're pissed off because you could have 500 bucks worth of BTCs right now for looking up some items on newegg.
nphard

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 04:39:19 AM

Actually I did spend hours researching parts and prebuilt computers that would suit your needs.  I also downloaded aim and spent a couple weeks waiting for you to come online.  You can't just make promises and then ignore people and expect them not to troll you later.
nphard

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 04:43:38 AM

It's hardly a reason to troll me other than the fact you're pissed off because you could have 500 bucks worth of BTCs right now for looking up some items on newegg.

No, I'm pissed because I don't have the $60 you promised me. I would have gladly renegotiated to $40-60 worth of bitcoins at whatever the exchange rate was when you got your mining rig up and running.  I probably would have gone as low as $20.  If you had just bothered to message me I would have set you up with someone else willing to help you for free.
Insuremeplz (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 04:50:57 AM

It's hardly a reason to troll me other than the fact you're pissed off because you could have 500 bucks worth of BTCs right now for looking up some items on newegg.

No, I'm pissed because I don't have the $60 you promised me. I would have gladly renegotiated to $40-60 worth of bitcoins at whatever the exchange rate was when you got your mining rig up and running.  I probably would have gone as low as $20.  If you had just bothered to message me I would have set you up with someone else willing to help you for free.

I apologize. We spent a very small amount of time talking and didn't go into specifics other than the fact I was interested in mining, I probably should have let you know I had to reconsider because the price shot up but I figured it was assumed it wasn't going to go forward because the price in BTC was no longer reasonable. PM me your BTC address and tomorrow afternoon when I'm at my home client I'll send you $10 worth of BTC as an act of good faith.
innervisi0nn

Activity: 98

Tutorials, guidelines, optimizations for all!

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 09:59:49 PM

Give [Insuremeplz] a break, he just tipped a few people here for helping him out. Others just demand the support.

NEO2012

Activity: 162

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 05:22:53 PM

I'd also like to use this as my main computer, light gaming, word processing, school work type stuff. This will be my first computer I've built so I appreciate suggestions on if everything will work together, if things will stay cool enough, better GPU to buy (cant find 5830/50's) or anything else you can think of. I already have windows XP, keyboard, mouse. Do I need anything else? Include BTC address for tip.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151175

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811815006

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157243

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150523  (two of these)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256072

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231253

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103899

I'd also love to cut about $150 off this price, so if there's anywhere I can save costs without reducing performance too much I'd love suggestions. Thanks!

how did that work out for u?Smiley

They say in the California gold rush, most miners never made enough to recoup their investment.
The only people assured of profits were the ones selling tools to the miners.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: