Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:36:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: John (John K.)'s escrow service (previously known as johnthedong)  (Read 54060 times)
John (John K.) (OP)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 08:12:43 PM

That would work out just fine john. What would be a good tip? Would you rather a percentage or a flat fee?

I operate on a tip basis, but I'd estimate the average tip amount I get at 0.5-0.8% of the total amount.
This tip amount varies as I'd gladly hold escrow for new users at a token amount, but I'd expect more if the amount were more substantial (I'll need to visit the safe for that) and the contract involved is complex.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
John (John K.) (OP)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 08:15:10 PM

I do not require that everyone use GPG; rather, it is mostly used to verify that the addresses I issue come from me and not another impostor. I can hold escrow for such transactions (and I've done a couple of those too), but please remember that I only hold BTC in each transaction. The system would work like this:

1) I receive the amount agreed to at an escrow address.

2) Buyer sends the PayPal transaction.

3a) Seller confirms, escrow released.

3b) Buyer denies receiving of the funds; I instruct either side to change to a temporary password and grant me temporary access to the account to verify the transactions involved. Alternately, screenshots may be provided in the first place as a weaker evidence. Funds released to whichever side that convinces me the most based on hard evidence.

you forgot step 4: buyer charges back PayPal after receiving their purchase and gets their money back. PayPal is bad, mKay...

I know (and I've warned him a ton of times in other threads about that), but it's his freedom. He has stated above too that chargebacks are not refundable nor enforceable due to the nature of Bitcoin, and of course I cannot be held liable for that.
John (John K.) (OP)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 08:16:42 PM

Hello,

I'd like you to escrow this transaction:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=148436.20

15 BTC for $510 USD

I can do so, but only if you're willing to wait ~8 hours as I'm tucking in for the day. I'm typing my posts on a mobile on bed.  Embarrassed
shkiser

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 06:54:47 PM

I must have missed you john I apologize. have everything together now, and have pmed you the info. shoot me a pm once you logon

Free Litecoin Faucet ---> http://ltc4you.com/?r=6840
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 06:08:32 AM

Does your service include using actual bitcoin escrow transactions (ex. 2-of-3 multisig)?

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
John (John K.) (OP)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 06:12:48 AM

Does your service include using actual bitcoin escrow transactions (ex. 2-of-3 multisig)?

I'm looking into that too, but I'm not comfortable with multisig enough to fully trust that over Armory. Also, most of my clients still prefer the regular method due to the ease. I might be offering that in the near future though if anyone specifically requests it.
ingrownpocket
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 11:39:41 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=147630.msg1595507#msg1595507

Thank you John for the awesome escrow service.
Will be using again.  Wink
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 07:32:27 AM

Thanks again for the patience and guidance this newb needed in the transaction that you processed for us.

Smooth, reliable and supportive and his escrow services not bad either.

+2 on the OTC.

I will be certainly using Johnthedong for all my escrows from this point forward.

Thanks. Grin

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 07:35:13 AM

I'm looking into that too, but I'm not comfortable with multisig enough to fully trust that over Armory. Also, most of my clients still prefer the regular method due to the ease. I might be offering that in the near future though if anyone specifically requests it.

Like to learn how. Any tutorials available for this higher level of security for escrows? I like ease as the next guy but a more secure service would be worth the learning curve.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
John (John K.) (OP)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 07:40:29 AM

Like to learn how. Any tutorials available for this higher level of security for escrows? I like ease as the next guy but a more secure service would be worth the learning curve.
A real-world implementation can be found here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=135914.msg1454959#msg1454959
SuperTramp
Legendary

Activity: 1073

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2013, 08:03:13 AM

+ + For John's escrow service !!! Just finished up my second transaction using him as escrow and
I must say he is TOP NOTCH !

Thanks again John.

MincoinForum, Home Of The World's Fastest & Rarest Cryptocurrency. https://www.mincoinforum.com
Only 10million Mincoin To Be Created. Find out more at https://www.mincoin.us

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 10:23:43 AM

+ + For John's escrow service !!! Just finished up my second transaction using him as escrow and
I must say he is TOP NOTCH !

Thanks again John.

good working with John as well

$200+ escrow

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2013, 10:29:30 AM

For the love of god, why can't he please go back to his old nick and steal someone's Bitcoins?? I've been waiting for "You got donged!" to be a meme for so long!
John (John K.) (OP)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 12:18:39 PM

For the love of god, why can't he please go back to his old nick and steal someone's Bitcoins?? I've been waiting for "You got donged!" to be a meme for so long!

Tongue I just decided to change my pseudonym as it sounded too...
I had that nick going since 10, and I didn't knew its meaning back then. Imagine my expression when I finally realized what 'dong' meant as a slang.   
John (John K.) (OP)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 12:24:38 PM

Trivia: I imagined bells when I thought up that nick.  Embarrassed
John (John K.) (OP)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 12:54:20 PM

Yeah... Was telling the guys at the bar a week ago, yeah I let this guy called "John the Dong" escrow $35,000 USD in BTC for me, They where like WTF  Grin

I hope I have better luck in thinking up a pseudonym next time.  Embarrassed
They must've thought I was some kind of gigolo with a bad taste for names.  Undecided

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 03:01:41 PM

Yeah... Was telling the guys at the bar a week ago, yeah I let this guy called "John the Dong" escrow $35,000 USD in BTC for me, They where like WTF  Grin

until a few days ago I always thought it was John the dog

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 03:04:12 PM

haha, me too!

Signature space available for rent.
John (John K.) (OP)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 05:20:08 PM

I hope I have better luck in thinking up a pseudonym next time.  Embarrassed
They must've thought I was some kind of gigolo with a bad taste for names.  Undecided

That or you were HUGE!    They were then shocked that I had so little info about you, like what country you lived in:)
I'm from Malaysia, a border away from you.  Tongue

Yeah, I get a ton of PM's addressed to 'Dear Johnthedog'. The cute dog pic didn't helped much.  Grin
John (John K.) (OP)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 03:05:43 AM
Last edit: March 11, 2013, 11:12:08 AM by John (John K.)

The service is humming along nicely - over 1k in BTC transacted in the last week alone!

Thanks everyone!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: