Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:13:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: when will segwit be ready  (Read 2001 times)
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2016, 09:44:32 PM

just wondering if anyone has any info / rumor of progress with segwit?

do you think they will be ready in april as expected?

Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hudd

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 10:36:24 PM

Original plan is for 0.12.X on April:
https://bitcoincore.org/en/2015/12/23/capacity-increases-faq/

However that's just the fork-ready code, the actual activation would take several months:
Dates with an asterisk are when we expect to release soft fork-ready code. The code will not be released until it has been well reviewed, and the actual fork will take time to activate
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3346
Merit: 6473

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2016, 11:30:30 PM

just wondering if anyone has any info / rumor of progress with segwit?
It's pretty close to being finished

do you think they will be ready in april as expected?
Probably. I think it will be merged in ready for a release by the end of April.

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2016, 07:30:57 PM

bump.

is it ready yet?

rizzlarolla

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 23, 2016, 07:57:39 PM

bump.

is it ready yet?

Bump?

Like, WTF is going on?
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3346
Merit: 6473

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2016, 08:12:31 PM

bump.

is it ready yet?
It is still being reviewed. It's going a bit slowly. The code exists, the PR has been submitted, and AFAIK, it works. However, people are still reviewing it to make sure that there are no bugs and that it is optimized.

rizzlarolla

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 23, 2016, 08:48:47 PM

bump.

is it ready yet?
It is still being reviewed. It's going a bit slowly. The code exists, the PR has been submitted, and AFAIK, it works. However, people are still reviewing it to make sure that there are no bugs and that it is optimized.

AFAIK?

exactly the problem with Core communication, the road map outdated,
(I see your trying to help, but)
Everyone knows afaik, and thinks it works, but no one seems to know wtf is really happening or going to happen or when.

Is that, in some part, because segwit will have no effect on "block space" for many months to come.
Whilst natural "user adoption" should continue to rise.
mempool could gridlock, leading to a stupid pointless fees bubble and long delays.
Bitcoin adoption stalled or permanently damaged.
Core should answer this question clearly,

Will it be "many" months, best case, before segwit has any noticeable effect on block space? (or longer, if ever)

I think I know.

vlamer

Activity: 101
Merit: 11

N.E.E.T

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2016, 12:59:29 PM

bump.

is it ready yet?

AFAIK?

exactly the problem with Core communication, the road map outdated,
(I see your trying to help, but)
Everyone knows afaik, and thinks it works, but no one seems to know wtf is really happening or going to happen or when.

Is that, in some part, because segwit will have no effect on "block space" for many months to come.
Whilst natural "user adoption" should continue to rise.
mempool could gridlock, leading to a stupid pointless fees bubble and long delays.
Bitcoin adoption stalled or permanently damaged.
Core should answer this question clearly,

Will it be "many" months, best case, before segwit has any noticeable effect on block space? (or longer, if ever)

I think I know.

Well, maybe Segwit part of the process towards Bitcoin 1.0 ..

doc12
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1042

View Profile
May 24, 2016, 09:25:02 PM

I hope it will be deployed soon. Since there is no new Segnet Version in the last weeks I assume it is finally ready to go.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 10:12:33 AM

bump.

is it ready yet?

It was scheduled for april, it's near June now, still nothign about SegWit, Lightning or 2MB blocks.

Mainwhile almost all blocks are now 999kB in size and have been for days now.

We urgently need some sort of increase in transaction capacity as there is literally 0 room for growth right now.
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8343

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2016, 06:12:01 PM
Merited by ABCbits (2)

It was scheduled for april, it's near June now, still nothign about SegWit, Lightning or 2MB blocks.
I dunno where this april thing came from, but segwit was pull requested on April 19th.  Deployment waits somewhat on continued review (which is very actively ongoing-- though it would likely be faster if a single person from one of the companies saying we urgently needed capacity increases contributed) and to a lesser extent on the activation of the BIP 68/112/113 softfork. (It's possible to have multiple softforks running in parallel now with BIP9, but I think most people would prefer to not have the extra dynamics for the very first BIP9 softfork.)

It's worth pointing out that although btcd has a segwit implementation, Bitcoin "classic" and XT have taken no preparatory action here (and haven't even caught up to BIP-68 or BIP-9). Though these implementations don't have any real widespread use AFAICT, it's preferable to not just leave them behind.

Mainwhile almost all blocks are now 999kB in size and have been for days now.
We urgently need some sort of increase in transaction capacity as there is literally 0 room for growth right now.
You're looking at a not very useful metric: The only reason blocks are _ever_ not the maximum size now is because miners voluntarily cut the size to improve propagation or to avoid mining DOS attack transactions. It's much more interesting to look at the feerate for moderately fast confirmation (e.g. 4 or less confirms), which has been pretty stable over time.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: