Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:16:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which bitcoin client do run on your computer to look after you funds?
Armory
Bitcoin QT
Bitcoin Wallet
Electrum
Multibit
bitcoind
OTHER

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Which bitcoin client do you use?  (Read 1861 times)
doghouse (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 11:30:04 AM

As a newbie, I'd like to know what the most popular bitcoin client other newbies and experienced users alike are using.
Perhaps I've made a bad choice? - Mine (who will not be mentioned in case it prejudices the poll) is a bit clunky.
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 4505

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 12:40:05 PM
Last edit: April 17, 2013, 11:00:59 PM by DannyHamilton

I use multiple clients. Each client serves a different purpose.  The poll might have been better if it allowed us to choose more than one answer. Also blockchain.info/wallet isn't on the poll. I suppose I could have just marked "OTHER" for that.  I don't see MtGox or BitFloor either (both could be considered extremely limited web hosted wallets).

EDIT: As of 2013-04-17 BitFloor has ceased all operations.
doghouse (OP)

Activity: 19

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 01:19:48 PM

I use multiple clients. Each client serves a different purpose.  The poll might have been better if it allowed us to choose more than one answer. Also blockchain.info/wallet isn't on the poll. I suppose I could have just marked "OTHER" for that.  I don't see MtGox or BitFloor either (both could be considered extremely limited web hosted wallets).

DannyHamilton, you're right about choosing multiple answers. I thought I'd clicked the right checkbox, but it won't let me go back and edit it now! Embarrassed
Regarding blockchain.info, MtGox etc.. I kept this poll specific to client software which runs on the computer itself, so I guess they would fall under the category of "other"
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 01:30:15 PM

For daily use, definitely Multibit.

Nyhm

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2013, 02:21:44 PM

VanillaWallet is designed to be simple/friendly (for casual or new users), but it's only in Beta (v0.5). Also good as a USB key wallet.

That said, I rely on bitcoin-qt most of the time. I also use blockchain.info/wallet (and associated Android app) to hold a couple coins for alternate access.

[Bitcoin Game List] ~ [BitcoinGalaxy.net Live Bitcoin Visualization] ~ [PotentialGames.com]
Jaques

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 02:39:41 PM

amory with bitcoin-qt because without the latter the first won't work ... Roll Eyes
pier

Activity: 7

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 02:46:28 PM

Just bitcoin-qt Wink
CornFly

Activity: 9

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 04:25:37 PM

amory with bitcoin-qt and Electrum
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 05:42:21 PM

Probably a lot of newbies know only the qt client...

gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 05:50:29 PM

Armory and bitcoin-qt is the way to go. I keep most of my funds in armory and like maybe 10-20 bitcoins in qt for quick transactions.
Nyhm

Activity: 216

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2013, 09:14:46 PM

Probably a lot of newbies know only the qt client...

Bitcoin-qt works well for tech-savvy folks, but I feel it's confusing for new users (it confused me when I first started). Of course, full credit for developing this solid client from the beginning with no other point of reference.

Regarding online/Web wallets, I'm aware of blockchain.info's MyWallet service. It's not too hard to use. What other online/Web wallets are there (not exchanges; just services that strictly act as an online wallet)?

[Bitcoin Game List] ~ [BitcoinGalaxy.net Live Bitcoin Visualization] ~ [PotentialGames.com]
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 09:35:37 PM

What other online/Web wallets are there (not exchanges; just services that strictly act as an online wallet)?
For the sake of knowledge of it's existence I'll mention:
https://www.instawallet.org

But I wouldn't recommend it for anything except very briefly holding extremely small amounts of bitcoin.  You don't have control of the private keys, and therefore there is no way to back up your wallet, or prevent people at the wallet hosting company from running off with your bitcoin.
eXcelleNt

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 09:59:37 PM

And does this poll do anything positive for those who have yet to choose a bitcoin client? Would a solid majority vote be a reliable endorsement for that particular client?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 10:03:22 PM

. . . Would a solid majority vote be a reliable endorsement for that particular client?
No.
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 10:08:22 PM

And does this poll do anything positive for those who have yet to choose a bitcoin client? Would a solid majority vote be a reliable endorsement for that particular client?
No. Especially when in this subforum most people know only the qt client.

World

Activity: 743
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 10:16:30 PM

Multibit - Online Spending, Bill Paying 40%
Blockchain mobile app - Mobile Spending 40%
Satoshi-Qt - Savings 20%
Electrum - testing

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
eXcelleNt

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 10:22:14 PM

. . . Would a solid majority vote be a reliable endorsement for that particular client?
No.

Didn't think so.

So then what are your recommendations, and why?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 10:57:24 PM

That's like telling someone you are thinking of purchasing a vehicle and asking which vehicle you should buy and why. It depends on the purpose of the vehicle.  Is it for a large family?  Do you need to tow heavy loads? How many miles do you expect to put on the vehicle each year? Do you intend to keep the vehicle for many years, or sell it after a few?  How tall are you? Will you spend a lot of time driving in hot environments? Cold environments? Is comfort important to you? Is fuel efficiency important to you? Etc.

It's the same with a wallet. It depends on the purpose of the wallet.

Will you be storing a very large amount of bitcoin in the wallet?  Will you need access to the bitcoins while mobile? Will you only be receiving bitcoins, or will you be sending them as well?  Will you be sending a lot of transactions frequently? How important is security to you? What level of technical ability do you have?  How important is anonymity to you? There are many other factors as well.  Each wallet has it's benefits and it's shortcomings.

When I'm ready to purchase a vehicle, I learn as much as I can about several vehicles that seem like they might fit my needs, and then make an educated decision about the best fit for my purposes.  I recommend that anyone choosing a bitcoin wallet do the same.  (Learn about the various features and limitations of the available wallets and make an educated decision about which wallet will best fit your purposes.)
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 01:44:23 AM

No.

Didn't think so.

How do you see yourself using it?  Personally, I have BitcoinSpinner on my android smartphone and Electrum on my desktop.  I can't really recommend a full client anymore, the bootstrapping is a huge burden; and we don't really need more full clients anymore.  10K copies distributed across the Internet is enough.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Nagato

Activity: 150

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2013, 07:05:25 AM

If you are running a Bitcoin business selling goods/services and need to receive Bitcoins, a full client is your only logical choice.
A full client is the only way to verify transactions, check for double spends without having to trust anyone else.

For a spending account with small balance, monitoring your balance, other clients are great.

The inconveniences of the full client give you something no other client can, trustless verification.
For anyone else who does not receive bitcoins often or does not need to receive bitcoins from untrusted parties, it might make sense to use the ligher/web clients.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: