Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 04:16:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Coins image issue?  (Read 1405 times)
MrCrabs (OP)

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:50:40 PM

Now that there is a lot more press. One thing that concerns me is the portrail of bitcoin in the form of coins. With respect to all the producers of bitcoin coin images.  I feel that they tend to look a bit amateurish and with the influx of lots of new people who may be  easily visually swayed, may cause some people concern.
I would like for bitcoin to look deadly serious with a instantly identifiable, like the dollar symbol that you can bank on. I'm not saying theBTC is wrong just that I feel a good designer might be able to make it look rock solid..

I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kerogre256

Activity: 161

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 09:07:02 PM

You need to earn your reputation... and bitcoin is here to stay.
mindtomatter

Activity: 434
Merit: 254

Editor-in-Chief of Let's Talk Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 09:23:25 PM

As a designer, I'd say that is the problem with all design and not just bitcoins.

On one hand, there are skilled artisans who can create well formed and intentional brands.

On the other hand, you have Do-it-yourself movements where technology empowers anyone to do anything they want and still output a result that only a few years ago would have been prohibitively expensive or technologically impossible.

Desktop publishing made anyone with a computer a designer. Print on demand made anyone a publisher. Cheap audio hardware gives everyone access to quality that would have been unattanable only a few years ago. Digital photography put photography in everyone's hands for cheap. To follow that pattern, bitcoins makes anyone a financial institution?

Say right now I, or someone else with design skills, were to create a set of brand standards and design templates for bitcoin. That removes a lot of the DIY as now someone who can't follow those standards should essentially hire a designer who could match the standards or else their product doesn't "look correct" or even "unreputable/shady."

If the point of bitcoins is to resist a centralized authority, the concept of a single brand standard is against that.

I liked where you were going, but I think you've thrown the baby out with the bathwater.

Bitcoin is a voluntary decentralized system, with an emphasis on the voluntary.  The people who made the original ones chose the easy depiction and it was good enough for the community it served so they adopted it at large.  If you as a professional designer were to come along and contribute a design to the larger bitcoin ecosystem, then people would have the choice of picking your professional depiction or the one they've been using up to this point.   Many of them will likely choose the more professional depiction, because it suits their application best while others will like the amateurish Coin.

The point is, your choosing to design something and introduce it as an option for people to use increases our choices, not the other way around.   Just don't make a super awesome bitcoin design and then release it under a restrictive license.

Right? 

Let's Talk Bitcoin! Interviews, News & Analysis released Tuesdays and Saturdays
http://www.LetsTalkBitcoin.com - Listener Mail -> adam@letstalkbitcoin.com
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 10:36:09 PM

As a designer, I'd say that is the problem with all design and not just bitcoins.

On one hand, there are skilled artisans who can create well formed and intentional brands.

On the other hand, you have Do-it-yourself movements where technology empowers anyone to do anything they want and still output a result that only a few years ago would have been prohibitively expensive or technologically impossible.

Desktop publishing made anyone with a computer a designer. Print on demand made anyone a publisher. Cheap audio hardware gives everyone access to quality that would have been unattanable only a few years ago. Digital photography put photography in everyone's hands for cheap. To follow that pattern, bitcoins makes anyone a financial institution?

Say right now I, or someone else with design skills, were to create a set of brand standards and design templates for bitcoin. That removes a lot of the DIY as now someone who can't follow those standards should essentially hire a designer who could match the standards or else their product doesn't "look correct" or even "unreputable/shady."

If the point of bitcoins is to resist a centralized authority, the concept of a single brand standard is against that.

We have a big DIY culture here...but few truly skilled at design. $50k for a logo (and fonts) is not crazy. Back when we tried raising funds for a Bitcoin logo, the roughly 40 BTC bounty didn't get us very far.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91068.0

This was IMHO the best idea:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91068.msg1063106#msg1063106

There was lots of this kind of stuff:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91068.msg1069054#msg1069054

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
mindtomatter

Activity: 434
Merit: 254

Editor-in-Chief of Let's Talk Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 11:10:43 PM

50k is an insane amount of money for a logo, offer 500 on 99 designs and see where that gets you

Let's Talk Bitcoin! Interviews, News & Analysis released Tuesdays and Saturdays
http://www.LetsTalkBitcoin.com - Listener Mail -> adam@letstalkbitcoin.com
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 11:34:15 PM

50k is an insane amount of money for a logo, offer 500 on 99 designs and see where that gets you

My point exactly. I'm sure Coca-Cola did the same thing.

sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 11:35:44 PM

One thing that concerns me is the portrail of bitcoin in the form of coins. With respect to all the producers of bitcoin coin images.  I feel that they tend to look a bit amateurish and with the influx of lots of new people who may be  easily visually swayed, may cause some people concern.

So make something yourself, or pay to have made, a graphic that is higher quality and more professional than this:

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 11:40:36 PM

One thing that concerns me is the portrail of bitcoin in the form of coins. With respect to all the producers of bitcoin coin images.  I feel that they tend to look a bit amateurish and with the influx of lots of new people who may be  easily visually swayed, may cause some people concern.

So make something yourself, or pay to have made, a graphic that is higher quality and more professional than this:

ZOMG That pic is soooo cute!!!!1!!

I think that's about all we will get if we keep ourselves in the mentality of DIY instead of finding someone awesome and compensating them for giving it their all.

dcl595

Activity: 381
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 01:18:40 AM
Last edit: April 01, 2013, 01:34:34 AM by dcl595

Heres my contribution, just a bit of fun Smiley

Edit - a few more, love making these

Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 06:08:04 AM

On the "bitcoin flag" I proposed the concept of something everyone would agree on before making a design so it would help to have more focused results. The whole concept is decentralization. Yet everything is based on mathematical codes. Why not have a representation based on the actual codes, and not some random 0010010101 to make it cool. Once a simplified mathematical equation defining the "idea" of bitcoin is presented, redefining it as a design may have a broad natural organic adoption or help fueling creativity.
Isokivi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 06:12:31 AM

I cant draw for s**t, but my small bitcoin e-commerce states:
"Images:
I hereby give free permission to reporters, bloggers, etc. use any images found on this webpage in their online or printed content. Infact I'd lke to urge you to do so, Im sick and tired of seeing the 3 same images allover news sources covering anything bitcoin related."

Havent caught anyone using them, but I sure wouldnt mind the free publicity.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
MrCrabs (OP)

Activity: 121

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:34:35 AM

Look if were going to end up with a $1,000,000 coin its gota look the part.
The Image on black is lovely no doubt about that. as are all the other images.

But realistically  will bitcoin be created in coin form for the masses.
Its more convenient on a phone.

Even explaining to the Bitcoin ignorant ."Coin " Summons up the idea of a physical coin.
Do we have physical digital coins yet..

Honestly not trying to be a pedant.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 01:25:19 PM

I'd like to see a version of the V for Voluntary symbol that was modified to represent Bitcoin instead of gold.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: