Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:52:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible to run Electrum for Web Apps instead of Bitcoind?  (Read 1979 times)
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 11:31:24 PM

Would it be possible to use a local electrum client as the backend for a web app and connect to it similar to how one would normally connect to bitcoin via RPC?

I was thinking about the idea of hosting companies offering Bitcoin backend like they offer mysql and php. It would be interesting if your hosting account came with an electrum server that you didn't need to worry about.

more or less retired.
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2013, 03:28:33 AM

You can use an Electrum instance by restoring from your Master Public Key and have http://acceptbit.com/ set to create receiving addresses for payments.

Then have the Electrum client with the seed in another PC, away from hackers that want to get into your precious server which only has an Electrum instance.

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 03:19:09 PM

I was thinking more like an electrum client that came preinstalled with hosting plans, with the server being run by the hosting provider allowing all their users to have a secure bitcoin backend.

Think of how for example how hosting companies have control panels that allow users to install things via script rather easily (For example, one click wordpress installations) could not there be "one click" bitcoin merchant services? Or one click secure wallets for users? If an instance of electrum client could be make to work in the browser, then you could easilly set up any number of bitcoin applications without needing to deal with securing the server or worrying about something like the linode password reset.

more or less retired.
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2013, 01:35:47 AM

There is a script in the Electrum github for managing a payment wallet on a server. I also wrote one in my repo that handles payments using a mysql database. Both use the MPK to establish a watch-only wallet - payments can be received but not sent. The MPK allows generating any number of addresses as needed by a web site for accepting payments.

Vitalik Buterin

Activity: 330
Merit: 397

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 11:48:28 AM

You can use an Electrum instance by restoring from your Master Public Key and have http://acceptbit.com/ set to create receiving addresses for payments.

Then have the Electrum client with the seed in another PC, away from hackers that want to get into your precious server which only has an Electrum instance.

Problem with that is the Acceptbit doesn't have an API (as least back when I looked at it it didn't), so it's hard to work with. If someone could write a simple address generator that just takes in a master public key it would be nice (I might end up doing that myself at some point).

Argumentum ad lunam: the fallacy that because Bitcoin's price is rising really fast the currency must be a speculative bubble and/or Ponzi scheme.
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2013, 12:24:30 PM

Problem with that is the Acceptbit doesn't have an API (as least back when I looked at it it didn't), so it's hard to work with. If someone could write a simple address generator that just takes in a master public key it would be nice (I might end up doing that myself at some point).

Check the acceptbit code at GitHub https://github.com/kangasbros/electrumpos maybel you'll find it easier to adapt it to your needs rather than looking for a tool to accomplish what you want.

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2013, 02:44:10 PM

That's what the server script I mentioned above does. It generates addresses from the MPK and it monitors the addresses to notify of a payment. My script does the same but uses a mysql table rather than json rpc client/server.

Look in the scripts directory on github for the merhcant.py script.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: