Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:32:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Question on the scriptSig and scriptPubKey  (Read 6317 times)
TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 08:53:07 AM

The basic signing process should just use hash(transaction without inputs | hash_type) as the signing hash.  The signing hash should be used to refer to the previous transaction.
Oh no, that wouldn't be good in general, at least unless you could opt out of it.

You would still be able to select a hash_type.

By "without inputs", I meant without the input scripts.  Copying the scriptPubKey to the input script is related to OP_CODESEPERATOR and isn't actually of any benefit for standard transactions right?

Consider, You pay Alice.  The transaction isn't confirming because your fees were not competitive. So you double spend its inputs in a new transaction with better fees in order to achieve atomic exclusion. Oops: Moments after your replacement transaction a prior payer, Peggy, poses a parallel payment and in your present position this is no perk since her payments were paired: price and pubkey parroted. Preclusion prevented by a profusion of parallel property, both payments are processed and Alice, pleased with her profit, parts leaving you peevish.

Heh, though loss of clarity due to the alliteration.

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fbueller

Activity: 412
Merit: 266

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 12:03:31 PM

See this wiki page for more details, the data which is signed is effectively:
Code:
SHA256(SHA256(modified_transaction))

The modified transaction is very complicated to construct and removes the signature and public key and inputs that are not being signed.

It would have been far simpler to do something like.

Step 1) Construct entire transaction (minus signature) in a canonical form
Step 2) Hash the entire transaction.  This becomes the tx_id as well as the digest for the signature
Step 3) Sign the hash in step 2 with the private key(s) and append to signature body.

You would end up with something like:
tx header
in[n]  (list of inputs)
out[n] (list of outputs)
sign[n] (list of signatures)

The message digest (the tailored transaction) which is signed when adding a signature to an input is unique for that input. The message is the current transaction, with all inputs scriptSigs set to empty but the one you're trying to sign, which must contain the scriptSig, and the scriptPubKey (or redeemScript in P2SH). Since each hash is different this could not be used to identify the transaction.

This ensures that the state of the scriptSig and scriptPubKey that lead to a successful redeeming transaction (which can be anticipated by other people when doing verification) is captured by signing that data. Input scripts have no concept of other input's scripts.

I'm rather certain that Bitcoin-qt's wallet searches for relevant transactions by checking each tx's scriptPubKey for a 20 byte hash that matches a hashed public key or script in the wallet; I wonder if asking people to reconstruct the public key from the signature lead to problematic scenarios of clients not getting it right (compressed keys?), as they could reconstruct it, see it does not hash to the one in the scriptPubKey, and fail validation? It makes sense that the script should contain all and everything which is needed to verify the transaction was valid.

The scripting system & wallet would be far more complicated if it had to anticipate if the public key was compressed or not..

Bitwasp Developer.
TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 12:32:35 PM

I'm rather certain that Bitcoin-qt's wallet searches for relevant transactions by checking each tx's scriptPubKey for a 20 byte hash that matches a hashed public key or script in the wallet

Pretty sure too.  I think it also scans for P2SH hashes too.  (assuming <key> OP_CHECKSIG).

I wonder if asking people to reconstruct the public key from the signature lead to problematic scenarios of clients not getting it right (compressed keys?), as they could reconstruct it, see it does not hash to the one in the scriptPubKey, and fail validation? It makes sense that the script should contain all and everything which is needed to verify the transaction was valid.

The script is

OP_DUP OP_HASH160 <hash-pub-key>

and spent with

<signature> <public key>

There was a thread on it here

The script would be

OP_GENPUBKEY OP_HASH160 <address> OP_EQUALVERIFY

and spent with

<signature> <sig-type>

(This assumes OP_GENPUBKEY leaves the signature on the stack)

The sig type encodes information required to determine which public key was used.  There are 4 possible keys (presumably, odd/even and compressed/uncompressed). 

When the wallet is scanning the block chain, it can still scan for the address hex value, so it is still fast.

Recovering the key requires an EC point multiply.  This would increase (maybe double) signature verification time.

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 02:30:33 PM
Last edit: May 06, 2014, 04:54:31 PM by DeathAndTaxes

The scripting system & wallet would be far more complicated if it had to anticipate if the public key was compressed or not..

Well the post was about how Bitcoin could have been done, not necessarily how it could be changed.  There was no reason for it to support uncompressed keys to begin with.  Without them everything would be simpler and smaller (including key recovery). As TN pointed out even for compressed keys it still can be either even or odd and there are three ways to handle it a) include a flag to indicate if the key is even/odd, b) restrict Bitcoin keys to a subset of secp256k1 keys (i.e. Bitcoin keys must be odd or they are invalid), c) try both potential keys.

This ensures that the state of the scriptSig and scriptPubKey that lead to a successful redeeming transaction (which can be anticipated by other people when doing verification) is captured by signing that data. Input scripts have no concept of other input's scripts.
That is correct this IS how Bitcoin works but it also makes the signing more complex and is the root cause for a large portion of the txid malleability.  It isn't required for each key to sign a unique subset of the same tx in order to ensure that "scriptSig and scriptPubKey that lead to a successful redeeming transaction (which can be anticipated by other people when doing verification) is captured by signing that data".

You are right in that Bitcoin uses placeholders to construct a modified version of the transaction for each input to sign.  The modified form is hashed and each input signs a different has because they are each signing a subset of the full transaction.  Then the placeholders and replaced with the actual signatures (and redundant pubkeys).  Finally yet another hash is taken to serve as the txid.  

My point is all of that is just complexity for complexity sake.  There is no gain compared to how just about any other digital signature system works.   Take GPG for example you have a message which needs to be signed by one or more entities.  The message in its entirety is hashed only once.  If you wanted to index these message this single canonical hash would make a perfect "message id".  This single hash is then signed by one or more keys which simply append to the signed message.

Sig_1 of H(Message) using key_1
Sig_n of H(Message) using key_n

A transaction is simply a message in an agreed upon format used to communicate the transfer of value.

Construct the transaction message in a canonical form.  One example would be
Header
ListOfInputs
ListOfOutputs

Treat it just like a message and take a single hash of it.  This single hash is the "txid" and the only digest signed by all signatures.

Sig_0 of Hash(TxId) using key(s) required for input_0
Sig_1 of Hash(TxId) using key(s) required for input_1
Sig_n of Hash(TxId) using key(s) required for input_n

Now append the signatures to the rest of the transaction.

Header
List of Inputs
List of Outputs
List of Signatures

To verify remove the signatures from the end of the message (tx).

Header
List of Inputs
List of Outputs

Verify the tx has valid form, meets magic numbers of protocol, outputs are unspent, etc.
Verify the TxId is correct by hashing the message (tx).
Take the stack of signatures and verify each one using the sig, the pubkey (explicit or recovered) and the TxId.

So I am not suggesting we change Bitcoin but if there is something I am missing let me know.  Satoshi was a genius at the high level (forcing consensus using proof of work) but he made some questionable choices at the nuts and bolts level.  This makes transactions more complex, harder to ensure they are immutable, and larger than necessary.  For that added complexity, size, and risk I don't see anything in return.  If there is a specific detail/example which requires the convoluted system Satoshi came up with regarding signatures please let me know.

It makes sense that the script should contain all and everything which is needed to verify the transaction was valid.
The PubKey can be deterministically recovered.  We have unit tests for valid wallet operations which are far more complex than key recovery.  I would point out the signed message system in Bitcoin does use key recovery.  This is how you can verify a message with just the message and signature (and optionally the address but not PubKey for added transparency).  What is a transaction other than message about the transfer of value?

TN point out the true "issue" and that is that it is a computing vs space tradeoff.  Transactions are smaller (less storage, less bandwidth requirements, less propagation delay) but they would take longer to verify.  The rate of computing power has grown faster than the rate of end user bandwidth and the range of computing power is much smaller than the range of available bandwidths (think ARM processor vs highest XEON & dialup/sat vs gigabit fiber).  Still it is a valid debate to have.

Anyways it is water under the bridge now.  I harbor no illusions that Bitcoin will ever be changed this radically as the consensus system makes it very conservative to optional breaking changes.  Still it would be an interesting area for an altcoin (of course that assumes they are actually about innovation not just stales copies of the original).
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2014, 08:40:45 PM

restrict Bitcoin keys to a subset of secp256k1 keys (i.e. Bitcoin keys must be odd or they are invalid),A
And seriously disrupt all the kinds of clever derivation schemes that now exist, e.g. blinding for reality keys, etc. I'm glad Bitcoin was not hyperoptimized in that particular way. Smiley
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 08:52:09 PM

restrict Bitcoin keys to a subset of secp256k1 keys (i.e. Bitcoin keys must be odd or they are invalid),A
And seriously disrupt all the kinds of clever derivation schemes that now exist, e.g. blinding for reality keys, etc. I'm glad Bitcoin was not hyperoptimized in that particular way. Smiley

You have a link/example.  Always willing to learn but that not knowing the effect of the constraints is why I suggested two alternatives.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: