Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:00:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Hashrate Distribution over time  (Read 1520 times)
Carl1115 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 12:19:47 PM

Hey everyone,

I am new here, so sorry in advance for asking maybe stupid questions.

In the context of a personal reseach project I would like to find data on the hashrate distribution of miners OVER TIME! The problem is that I can only find averages for a certain period, such as here: https://blockchain.info/pools.
Technically, I would like to construct a panel data set for "market shares" of miners.

Does anyone have a clue how to find such data?

I know there are some plots around but not the data as far as I know..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FUBAR-BDHR

Activity: 702
Merit: 1000

★The Best Adult Video Chat Platform★

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2016, 05:50:29 PM

Hear are a few places that might help you get the data you are looking for:

http://www.coinwarz.com/network-hashrate-charts/bitcoin-network-hashrate-chart
http://bitcoin.sipa.be/

GermanGiant

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 07:50:23 PM

U may download the full blockchain and interpolate that data from there itself. All you need to know the mining addresses of different miners over time.
mwizard

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 01, 2016, 03:15:57 AM
Last edit: April 04, 2016, 01:08:29 AM by mwizard

This may help.  It shows the market share and hash rate over periods going back 5 years. You can also download the data in csv format.

https://data.bitcoinity.org/bitcoin/hashrate/30d?c=m&t=a
cryptodevil
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1240

Thread-puller extraordinaire

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 12:19:07 PM

U may download the full blockchain and interpolate that data from there itself. All you need to know the mining addresses of different miners over time.

Kinda weird that the ponzi scamming assholes purporting to be a 'Cloud Mining' service in your sig don't ever appear, anywhere. Oh, hang, on, no it isn't weird at all, seeing as they've never been proven to be mining. Doesn't seem to stop you from spamming that sig banner of yours at every opportunity, though. Nice morality you've got there.

WARNING!!! Check your forum URLs carefully and avoid links to phishing sites like 'thebitcointalk' 'bitcointalk.to' and 'BitcointaLLk'
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 03, 2016, 04:57:38 AM

Kinda weird that the ponzi scamming assholes purporting to be a 'Cloud Mining' service in your sig don't ever appear, anywhere. Oh, hang, on, no it isn't weird at all, seeing as they've never been proven to be mining. Doesn't seem to stop you from spamming that sig banner of yours at every opportunity, though. Nice morality you've got there.

I tried cloud mining once, never again. It simply is n't worth it at all. There is so little money to be made mining from it.

Regardless, I saw a chart about the hashrate distribution about a month ago, I'll try to find it and post it here.

A good start is "Bitcoin hashrate distribution historical" and then work from the charts there. One old chart I found is http://core0.staticworld.net/images/article/2013/07/bitcoin-hash-rates-100045528-orig.png

I hope this is what you were looking for, or at least something close to it.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 04, 2016, 06:12:06 AM

I tried cloud mining once, never again. It simply is n't worth it at all. There is so little money to be made mining from it.

Regardless, I saw a chart about the hashrate distribution about a month ago, I'll try to find it and post it here.

A good start is "Bitcoin hashrate distribution historical" and then work from the charts there. One old chart I found is http://core0.staticworld.net/images/article/2013/07/bitcoin-hash-rates-100045528-orig.png

I hope this is what you were looking for, or at least something close to it.

The thing is, regular mining probably has around the same income after you extract all the costs. Since you don't feel electricity cost right away, it may not feel like this though.

The advantages are also on other fields, besides spending money on electricity. All the heat and noise generated from mining rigs can be really annoying, especially if you set it up somewhere in your living room where you are constantly reminded that its there. Also, uptime is likely higher as you don't have to physically be near your miner if something goes wrong.

Profit may be low, but it takes a lot of stress out of your hands.
Carl1115 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2016, 07:49:09 AM

This may help.  It shows the market share and hash rate over periods going back 5 years. You can also download the data in csv format.

https://data.bitcoinity.org/bitcoin/hashrate/30d?c=m&t=a

This is brilliant, thanks! That's exactly what I have been looking for, although data availability of a bit more than 5 years would have been great as well.

Two further questions:

1) Is this source reliable? How is the data generated?
2) How exactly does the thing with interpolating the data myself work?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: