Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:28:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: China will destroy bitcoin  (Read 3087 times)
road to morocco

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 05:54:33 PM

How you get that figure of 70% of total miners are from china? is there any source and any source of their statement of them not accpting huge block? THis is just a pointless hype in my point of view.

70%? I assume it's based on pools - https://blockchain.info/pools. It's like, back in the day, saying that every (non-solo) miner comes from the Czech Republic because Slush's pool is the only pool. Except no one thought that, because obviously it would have been nonsense.

Are you saying it's ridiculous to assume that most of the mining (both pools and mining farms) is done in China?

No. I'm saying it's ridiculous to say that 70% of miners are Chinese because 70% of mining currently occurs in Chinese pools. At one point 100% of pools were Czech (all one of them - Slush's pool) - 100% of miners were not Czech! (Well, to be fair it's possible that "100% - me" were Czech. But frankly I doubt it).
So you're saying is "It is unreasonable to infer that most miners are Chinese from the fact that most of the mining pools are located in China. Though all available data point to this conclusion,
http://s10.postimg.org/6eb2y2f7t/Capture.png
and all a priori reasoning, from lower electrical costs to ASIC manufacture/labor/shipping etc., the evidence is purely circumstantial"?

Miners have a choice which pool to use - or even if they mine in a pool, or go solo (though this choice really isn't much of a choice anymore, obviously, but still).

Miners do have a choice. I'm gonna make another leap of faith and say that the choice is, to a large degree, primarily guided by short-term profits, often at odds with the choice hodlers would have liked them to make, and possibly ill-informed. That's why all the important decisions regarding future Bitcoin development are made like this:

http://s32.postimg.org/76nu4eho5/bitches.jpg

Note the conspicuous absence of individual miners.  Don't ask for rigorous proof, just tossin' it out there Smiley

... other miners from other parts of the world could just connect to those pools and work under it to get some stable or increased profit (?).

They could, and could possibly overcome disadvantages like x2 - x20 electrical costs, shipping costs, real estate costs, economics of scale, etc., etc., but what does it matter when it's the pool operators, not the miners, who set the rules? The only thing they can do is switch pools, but ...they clearly don't.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 06:23:15 PM

How you get that figure of 70% of total miners are from china? is there any source and any source of their statement of them not accpting huge block? THis is just a pointless hype in my point of view.

70%? I assume it's based on pools - https://blockchain.info/pools. It's like, back in the day, saying that every (non-solo) miner comes from the Czech Republic because Slush's pool is the only pool. Except no one thought that, because obviously it would have been nonsense.

Are you saying it's ridiculous to assume that most of the mining (both pools and mining farms) is done in China?

No. I'm saying it's ridiculous to say that 70% of miners are Chinese because 70% of mining currently occurs in Chinese pools. At one point 100% of pools were Czech (all one of them - Slush's pool) - 100% of miners were not Czech! (Well, to be fair it's possible that "100% - me" were Czech. But frankly I doubt it).
So you're saying is "It is unreasonable to infer that most miners are Chinese from the fact that most of the mining pools are located in China. Though all available data point to this conclusion,

and all a priori reasoning, from lower electrical costs to ASIC manufacture/labor/shipping etc., the evidence is purely circumstantial"?

Miners have a choice which pool to use - or even if they mine in a pool, or go solo (though this choice really isn't much of a choice anymore, obviously, but still).

Miners do have a choice. I'm gonna make another leap of faith and say that the choice is, to a large degree, primarily guided by short-term profits, often at odds with the choice hodlers would have liked them to make, and possibly ill-informed. That's why all the important decisions regarding future Bitcoin development are made like this:

Note the conspicuous absence of individual miners.  Don't ask for rigorous proof, just tossin' it out there Smiley

... other miners from other parts of the world could just connect to those pools and work under it to get some stable or increased profit (?).

They could, and could possibly overcome disadvantages like x2 - x20 electrical costs, shipping costs, real estate costs, economics of scale, etc., etc., but what does it matter when it's the pool operators, not the miners, who set the rules? The only thing they can do is switch pools, but ...they clearly don't.

No. I'm saying "it's ridiculous to say that 70% of miners are Chinese because 70% of mining currently occurs in Chinese pools." Again. Do pay attention.

I'm not sure why you believe miners don't change pools. I tend to look at this every few days and the wedges are rarely static. Even assuming you were right, and miners haven't been switching pools recently - it's a bit of a stretch to assume that that will remain the case.

I'm also not sure why you think I should be surprised that miners' interests may not align with hodlers' interests. Aside from it being kinda obvious, I accepted that miners were the decision makers when I first read the whitepaper and in the years since nothing has changed.

I'm also also not sure why you think a group of pool operators and devs meeting should worry me. They were deciding a development roadmap, one that will be presented to miners. Who will then be free to accept or reject. Which rather sounds like... exactly how it's always been.

This space intentionally left blank.
road to morocco

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 06:55:45 PM

No. I'm saying "it's ridiculous to say that 70% of miners are Chinese because 70% of mining currently occurs in Chinese pools." Again. Do pay attention.
Sounds strangely similar Undecided
"It is unreasonable to infer that most miners are Chinese from the fact that most of the mining pools are located in China. Though all available data point to this conclusion,
http://s10.postimg.org/6eb2y2f7t/Capture.png
I might've been overly helpful by filling in a few blanks for you, but you go ahead and tell me the part s you disagree with, and I'll correct 'em Smiley

I'm not sure why you believe miners don't change pools. I tend to look at this every few days and the wedges are rarely static. Even assuming you were right, and miners haven't been switching pools recently - it's a bit of a stretch to assume that that will remain the case.
I, in turn, am unsure why you think I think that they don't change pools. Again, If you just cite the part that led you to such an erroneous conclusion, I'll try to fix it.

I'm also not sure why you think I should be surprised that miners' interests may not align with hodlers' interests. Aside from it being kinda obvious, I accepted that miners were the decision makers when I first read the whitepaper and in the years since nothing has changed.
Ditto. English is a bitch for me, so if you could point to the bit that mislead you, I'd be forever in your debt.

I'm also also not sure why you think a group of pool operators and devs meeting should worry me. They were deciding a development roadmap, one that will be presented to miners. Who will then be free to accept or reject. Which rather sounds like... exactly how it's always been.
Meh. Pool owners & devs decide on the roadmap,  miners and Bitcoin hodlers unaffected Undecided
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 07:06:58 PM

Sorry, lambie. If you can't work out what "it's ridiculous to say that 70% of miners are Chinese because 70% of mining currently occurs in Chinese pools" means all by your lonesome I doubt I can't help.

This space intentionally left blank.
Wapinter
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1026

Hire me for Bounty Management

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 07:16:36 PM

With China now owing about 75% of the mining power i think in all their greed they will destroy bitcoin.
They will never allow the protocol to change to accept larger blocks since it's not in their interest.
You don't have much time left to sell your bags.
When they have 75% of bitcoin mining power,why would they allow bitcoin to be destroyed?I think there must be a difference of opinions within Chinese mining community and some of them will try and persue for larger blocks

kwukduck (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 09:59:03 PM

Would people be as worried if 70% of the hashing power was in the US or Europe?

Of course. It's not about the country, it's about basically a hand full of people owning and controlling the entire network.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
Vaskiy
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1105

Tontogether | Save Smart & Win Big

View Profile
April 28, 2016, 11:01:55 AM

With China now owing about 75% of the mining power i think in all their greed they will destroy bitcoin.
They will never allow the protocol to change to accept larger blocks since it's not in their interest.
When they have 75% of bitcoin mining power,why would they allow bitcoin to be destroyed?I think there must be a difference of opinions within Chinese mining community and some of them will try and persue for larger blocks
More mining farms are there in China which is never known in most of the countries, it's their wealth to have all these bitcoin resources in their country, so definitely they won't destroy bitcoin in anyway as they are earning more from it .

road to morocco

View Profile
April 28, 2016, 12:45:26 PM

More mining farms are there in China which is never known in most of the countries, it's their wealth to have all these bitcoin resources in their country, so definitely they won't destroy bitcoin in anyway as they are earning more from it .

Help me with this fairy tale conundrum:
1. Most Ford factories are in Equestria.
2. Ponies won't destroy Ford because they make Fords, they're earning from Ford.
3. (Problem): GM (altcoin) offers ponies a better contract; Equestrian machinery can make GM cars with minimum of retooling; RIP Ford.
wat do?
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: