Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:41:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Kano vs Bitsyncom  (Read 15296 times)
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 09:42:35 PM

You just told off a moderator. It was a moderator who did that.

I see, this came from the BFL thread.  That's just a fkn bad! I wish the mods would make a note at the start of the thread when they do that.

That would be like bill gates walking into apple headquarters and start yelling at Mark Zuckerberg!

o.0
Yeah when it was all moved over to this thread I was looking to see who did it.
Of course I've no problem with the fact it was done, but it would be reasonable for the mod to say they actually did it by editing the first post (or adding a post when they did the break explaining that)

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
maqifrnswa

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 10:20:48 PM

Is the 30days from someone who recieved the binary and makes the request?

Or is the 30 days applicable from the day of releasing the binary to someone who doesn't have a right to ask for the source code. (not even a customer, did not receive the binary, ?therefore can't make it a request on legitimate grounds?)

When does the clock start running and what is the basis at which it starts the 30 day limit?

I actually do not know, that is why I am asking.

Well, technically, there is no 30 days. If a customer requests code, and you do not provide it, you are immediately in violation. Technically you're supposed to stop distributing immediately and are liable to legal action if you continue. At this point two things can happen:

1) you "fix" it and start distributing source code. After 60 days of "good" behaviour, the violation evaporates and you have the full license to distribute again.
2) you don't fix it, and a cgminer dev tells you you are in violation. The cgminer dev does not need to receive the software, but only needs to have evidence that one of your customers was denied access to the source code. At this point you have 30 days to fix it, if you do you get your full license back automatically.
3) cgminer devs can just tell you that your license is terminated, due to the violation, and you must cease distributing the software in binary form.

(see section 8 of GPL)

GPL disputes are best handled politely and in good faith, not with the copyright holder going after the fork with guns blazing and the fork going into a legal turtle shell. So there is language regarding 30 days to "cure the violation," but you really shouldn't be using it like a clock.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 10:39:56 PM

It would be so much easier if companies would just release the source when they release binaries.

Bitsyncom, post the source. Now.

Buy & Hold
Icoin

Activity: 585
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 12:19:00 AM

It would be so much easier if companies would just release the source when they release binaries.

I never had a problem with the source of Lancelot, it arrived with the hardware on a USB stick. Since Jeff and the Bitcoin Foundation allready has a Avalon device i assume they have the source.

No worries the release of Icarus was a mess too, but in the end it worked Smiley
We all gonna have soon the pleasure of many different ASICs, so i realy see no reason for hot minds.

nathanrees19

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 01:43:48 AM

Well, I officially called it, but I honestly thought "weeks" would be an exaggeration at the time.
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 03:54:50 AM

orders are not opened while we solve the ordering issues existing previously so no orders are opened at the moment.

After trying to ream Kano a new asshole, the able is all that was offered up to Avalon's clients. Totally amazing!

Even worst : Batch 2 order was made trough WalletBit.. who suck 0.89% fee on a BTC deposit in a customer's wallet !
Speculation : Avalon may have made a deal with them.. afaik chinese-like-business-practice !!
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002

Bitcoin

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 03:59:46 AM

Do they really care ? 
myrond

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 04:34:50 AM

From what I understand you actually have to have a binary...  do you know anybody who has the binary?  Perhaps the demand should come from that person instead.

I don't see why they have to redistribute anything, if the hardware hasn't been delivered.  It might even be shipped with the unit... who knows!

Demanding stuff seems so wrong;  especially after everything they have done for the bitcoin community.  Trying to get a open platform to market.  Not trying to take advantage of their skill set in bringing it to fruition just for themselves, instead allowing the boxes to be distributed far and wide to build the foundation of the network.

All of these complaints, are they even customers of Avalon?

I ordered one box from Avalon; they said in the beginning it would be shipped/delivered by the end of February 2013.  They are currently (AFAIK) on schedule and yet they still get bashed constantly for everything.  Why?  They are on schedule.  They are delivering generally what they said they would deliver.  They will arrive when they arrive (I'm sure source was well).  It is a little early to start demanding source before distribution of binaries is it not?

When I purchased the one box I thought they would be shipping MONTHs after everyone.  But I liked the idea and the plan behind building the boxes so I put my BTC's where my mouth was.

If you look at what ngzhang has committed to the open source community, if you look at his youtube videos... from what I can see is a company/organization that is actually making a difference, unlike some others that appears to be in it for (more) personal gain.

nathanrees19

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 04:59:13 AM

I don't see why they have to redistribute anything
Trying to get a open platform to market.

An "open platform" is not one where you grudgingly comply with the GPL and take weeks and weeks to release source after shipping.

Here's a product line which is truly open:

https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/

They have schematics and sources up for products that haven't even been released yet.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 06:06:19 AM

If you look at what ngzhang has committed to the open source community, if you look at his youtube videos... from what I can see is a company/organization that is actually making a difference, unlike some others that appears to be in it for (more) personal gain.

What is the link to his YouTube account?
Syke
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 06:14:23 AM

From what I understand you actually have to have a binary...  do you know anybody who has the binary?  Perhaps the demand should come from that person instead.

I don't see why they have to redistribute anything, if the hardware hasn't been delivered.  It might even be shipped with the unit... who knows!

Let me quote their own announcement:

We shipped, website will be updated shortly.

First unit goes to Jeff Garzik in honor for the work he has done for the bitcoin codebase being the only developer who ordered from us.

Yes, they shipped binaries 20 days ago, and have yet to release the source code for it. That is in clear violation of the license.

- source code will release 30 days to comply to an infringement notice from a copyright holder.

Furthermore, they are well aware that they are in violation of the license, yet they are chosing not to comply.

Buy & Hold
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 11:10:08 AM

Let me quote their own announcement:

We shipped, website will be updated shortly.

First unit goes to Jeff Garzik in honor for the work he has done for the bitcoin codebase being the only developer who ordered from us.

Yes, they shipped binaries 20 days ago, and have yet to release the source code for it. That is in clear violation of the license.

- source code will release 30 days to comply to an infringement notice from a copyright holder.

Furthermore, they are well aware that they are in violation of the license, yet they are chosing not to comply.
Keep in mind Jeff actually has to ask for them to be in violation of it.

In either case, it will be resolved over the weekend per Yifu's statements.
xempew

Activity: 45
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 03:24:56 PM

By proper support you mean support from you? Pfft. No wonder.
No, by proper support I mean anyone who does the code would need the hardware to make it optimal and to not stifle code development by others
(and a github account would be necessary also)
As I said above, that will hopefully be Xiangfu.
It could actually be best to be ckolivas ... but anyway ...

Yes your question has an answer of "No" even though you follow it with a long post of mostly rubbish making an incorrect assumption it is "Yes"

Well, then. I man up and apologizes for doubting your intention. I suppose I read too much into it, and now can move on to better things.

In Satoshi We Trust.
Keninishna

Activity: 556
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 03:43:10 PM

By proper support you mean support from you? Pfft. No wonder.
No, by proper support I mean anyone who does the code would need the hardware to make it optimal and to not stifle code development by others
(and a github account would be necessary also)
As I said above, that will hopefully be Xiangfu.
It could actually be best to be ckolivas ... but anyway ...

Yes your question has an answer of "No" even though you follow it with a long post of mostly rubbish making an incorrect assumption it is "Yes"

Well, then. I man up and apologizes for doubting your intention. I suppose I read too much into it, and now can move on to better things.

Was wondering who won lol.
Syke
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 04:05:11 PM

Keep in mind Jeff actually has to ask for them to be in violation of it.

Actually, no. Unless they included the source code (they didn't), or included a written offer on how to obtain the source code (I've seen no reports of such), then they are already in violation.

Buy & Hold
wknight
Legendary

Activity: 889

Bitcoin calls me an Orphan

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 04:17:40 PM

Its funny.. many people asking for source wont even be able to know how to read it.. they are just jumping on the bandwagon. Kano will have no trouble looking through the code I am sure. In 30 days in which he said he would supply it we will see.. until then its a mute point

Mining Both Bitcoin and Litecoin.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 06:32:16 AM

The spectacle of watching laymen giving themselves a promotion to copyright attorney is truly worth watching.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1253

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 06:44:11 AM

I dont' know if this question was already answered. Jeff, did you ask Avalon to provide you the source code?
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 06:52:58 AM

I dont' know if this question was already answered. Jeff, did you ask Avalon to provide you the source code?

Not yet, no.

Yifu stated the source would be released, even before kano began his transparent quest for free hardware.  No reason to disbelieve that, at this time.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 07:28:22 AM

Not yet, no.

Yifu stated the source would be released, even before kano began his transparent quest for free hardware.  No reason to disbelieve that, at this time.

Fuck off and learn to read.

Mean while - yes that quite clearly shows where he stands with Open Source code.
The code was available the day the device shipped but you don't give a damn about getting them to release that software.
Not in your area of interest.
What goes around comes around.
I guess as I mentioned before it was a waste of my time even attempting to help 'you'.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: