Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:21:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What (Ethash) MHash/sec is it better to switch to solo mining?  (Read 1034 times)
Za1n (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 03:11:58 PM
Last edit: October 02, 2016, 04:29:47 PM by Za1n

I am thinking of maybe switching to mining solo or setting up a private pool to point to for me and my friends. I was wondering if this is still feasible and at what hash-rate(s) one would need to make it more practical versus pool mining.

Say what would one need to find roughly a block (5 ETH) per day? The calculators show roughly 1GH (1000 MH/sec) but would like to hear from anyone who is actually doing it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
YIz

Activity: 686
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 03:14:34 PM

Solo mining depends on luck even with high hashrates. you're better off with a pool.
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 03:25:40 PM

https://badmofo.github.io/ethereum-mining-calculator/

Pretty much what every calculator says.

I'm not mining Eth, but I do solomine everything I can and personally, I draw the line at 12 hours.

That is if it takes longer than 12 hours for me to find a block on average then I switch to a pool.

Even with a 12 hour average block finding frequency the variance can be killer. You could go for weeks without finding anything if you're really unlucky. Of course, the opposite can also happen.

Basically the longer your expected block finding frequency is, the more time it it will take (days/weeks/months) for things to even out.

It's up to you what level of variance can you handle.

But, with Etherem one thing to note is the very low block times (in comparison) which means you need a very good connection (very low latency with good routing/physical location) otherwise the blocks you're solved could end up orphans because someone else with a better connection beat you to it. I have a great connection but that alone would tip the scale for me not to bother with solomining. But if you do decide to solomine, good luck!

Not your keys, not your coins!
Za1n (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 04:38:57 PM

I'm not mining Eth, but I do solomine everything I can and personally, I draw the line at 12 hours.

That is if it takes longer than 12 hours for me to find a block on average then I switch to a pool.

Even with a 12 hour average block finding frequency the variance can be killer. You could go for weeks without finding anything if you're really unlucky. Of course, the opposite can also happen.

Basically the longer your expected block finding frequency is, the more time it it will take (days/weeks/months) for things to even out.

But, with Etherem one thing to note is the very low block times (in comparison) which means you need a very good connection (very low latency with good routing/physical location) otherwise the blocks you're solved could end up orphans because someone else with a better connection beat you to it. I have a great connection but that alone would tip the scale for me not to bother with solomining. But if you do decide to solomine, good luck!

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, 12 hours, or even 6 hours might be more to my liking. I used to run private pools back in earlier days (Doge and others) where myself and a few like-minded friends would point our miners, so I know all about the good connectivity issues.

This is why I am looking for a good hash-rate benchmark. So at 12 hours, we would need to be looking at 2 GHash/sec which would move me past solo mining and looking more to a private pool with some friends. I would probably host the pool at an online hosting provider to get the good connection you speak of, so this extra cost would need to be accounted for in profitability as well. Still would like to hear from anyone actually solo or private pool mining on hashrates, luck, etc.
kilo17
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

aka "whocares"

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 01:18:07 AM

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, 12 hours, or even 6 hours might be more to my liking. I used to run private pools back in earlier days (Doge and others) where myself and a few like-minded friends would point our miners, so I know all about the good connectivity issues.

This is why I am looking for a good hash-rate benchmark. So at 12 hours, we would need to be looking at 2 GHash/sec which would move me past solo mining and looking more to a private pool with some friends. I would probably host the pool at an online hosting provider to get the good connection you speak of, so this extra cost would need to be accounted for in profitability as well. Still would like to hear from anyone actually solo or private pool mining on hashrates, luck, etc.

I set up a pool to solomine Eth when the difficulty was below 55 and I have over 5gh, I found the variance to be tough when it was above 60 so I quit solomining.

Bitcoin Will Only Succeed If The Community That Supports It Gets Support - Support Home Miners & Mining
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 05:43:43 AM

i was also on the 12-24 hours at first then i changed my mind, and if i can't find a block every 3 hours, on average, i give up on solo

but some times it depend on the block times and the block reward
antantti
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 05:06:40 PM

Bathrobehero already told about everything you need to know about solomining dagger.

You can test it yourself easily with ETC (5 ETC/ 15 sec) or EXP (8 EXP/60 sec).
Redrose

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 06:07:32 PM

As long as you can find a block a day, you should be fine. You should run the experiment over a week or two to be sure of you're rentability. 1 GH/s seems good to me, but 500 MH/s might be enough too.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: