Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:56:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Teamviewer hacked?  (Read 917 times)
Masha Sha (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 06:57:32 AM

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/4m7ay6/teamviewer_has_been_hacked_they_are_denying/

Hi guys,

I don't know if it's serious or real or even the right sub to post it... Better warned than sorry.

/sarc /snowflakeshield /iammorevirtuousthanyou /2692 /pixelsonscreeen /fuckthemusep2p /p2p=love

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 07:00:42 AM

It seems legit, I mean you can read about dozens of reports.

2FA should help or only allowing LAN connections if you only manage local computers.

Not your keys, not your coins!
Eyedol-X

Activity: 952
Merit: 508

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 07:57:24 AM

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/4m7ay6/teamviewer_has_been_hacked_they_are_denying/

Hi guys,

I don't know if it's serious or real or even the right sub to post it... Better warned than sorry.

Thanks for the heads up, don't use this application and block it in my place of work but glad to have this kind of info handy when people come asking why.

...not sure if this is the right forum either for this post but I'm glad you put it here because I may not have otherwise seen it and I don't read much reddit these days.
greaterninja

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 10:25:15 AM

I use Teamviewer, but I do not use 2FA  OTP.  It seems people with 2FA turned on are the ones that have gotten hacked.

This makes me think the Teamviewer people saved a copy of customer 2FA QR codes and someone accessed it.

I know a few companies do this.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 10:58:59 AM

I use Teamviewer, but I do not use 2FA  OTP.  It seems people with 2FA turned on are the ones that have gotten hacked.

This makes me think the Teamviewer people saved a copy of customer 2FA QR codes and someone accessed it.

and that is the only way to hack it, inside employees are the one to trust less, same thing for microsoft win 10

while i may trust microsft as a company, there can be one or more bad guy working there that, based doing his work, he is working on stealing bitcoin wallet without being noticed
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1709

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 11:51:16 AM

Are you affected by this if you only "accept exclusively" Incoming LAN connections?

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 12:40:18 PM

Are you affected by this if you only "accept exclusively" Incoming LAN connections?

no but if your ip is dynamic, you will be screwed anyway, it would not be possible to connect after it change

i have aeroadmin as a backup to connect, it's a cool small remote tool
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1709

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 12:50:27 PM

no but if your ip is dynamic, you will be screwed anyway, it would not be possible to connect after it change

The ip address are all like 192.168.1.1, etc.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 01:04:49 PM

yes but they change, they are not static, at least this happen to me, when they change you can not use it anymore to access your device remotely
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 02:58:43 PM

yes but they change, they are not static, at least this happen to me, when they change you can not use it anymore to access your device remotely

Depends on your router settings. By default the same address gets assigned to the same NIC (MAC address).

I use Teamviewer, but I do not use 2FA  OTP.  It seems people with 2FA turned on are the ones that have gotten hacked.

Most people who reported to have been hacked had no 2FA, but some did (source: https://www.reddit.com/r/teamviewer/comments/4m6omd/teamviewer_breach_masterthread_please_post_your).

Not your keys, not your coins!
chup

Activity: 736
Merit: 262

Me, Myself & I

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 03:23:17 PM

I believe all of them hacked had unsecured computers to the maximum. Browsers full with remembered passwords for critical/payment sites. I can let anyone in front of my computer and it can't log in (off course physical access to USB ports / DVD drives and local monitor could change this). I assume that persons without user passwords on PCs also have lousy passwords for TeamViewer.
However, after 2FA for Hotmail and Yahoo some week ago, I switched it on for TeamViewer also. It's PITA but functions till someone make more usable gadget/app that will replace manual retyping of changing numbers...

bitcoinnee

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 04:06:37 AM

My tv account was hacked in 2014 and 6 BTC was stolen. Sad Sad

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: