Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:28:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the point of the Blockchain.info wallet identifier?  (Read 890 times)
molotok (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 07:08:50 PM

I am a total newbie to Bitcoins. So I just created a wallet on blockchain.info. So far so good. The only thing I am asking myself is why are they using this ridiculously long wallet identifier instead of just a user name like any other web service. I mean, is there any other purpose in this identifier than just logging into my account? As far as I understand, I don't need this to send or receive Bitcoins.

I know there's the possibility of creating an alias, which I did. So now I can log in using my alias. But that makes the identifier seem even more useless.

I read this blog post about the identifier but it didn't really clear up things: /2015/05/22/blockchain-wallet-identifier-basics-for-web-ios-android-wallets/]https://blog.[Suspicious link removed]/2015/05/22/blockchain-wallet-identifier-basics-for-web-ios-android-wallets/
Here's what it says there: "It can be helpful to understand the purpose of your identifier by associating its usefulness with a username required when you log in to any online service."

That's what I mean: Why not just work with a username if the identifier is basically the same? Does anyone have any idea?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 07:24:14 PM

It's a choice, if you want less security, but more convenience, then you create an alias. But people can potentially guess your alias and obtain your identifier this way.

If you want more security, then you don't create alias, and just use the identifier, it'll never be guessed. Basically attackers can't even obtain your user name, let alone your password.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
mrcash02

Activity: 1190
Merit: 525

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 07:59:14 PM

It's a choice, if you want less security, but more convenience, then you create an alias. But people can potentially guess your alias and obtain your identifier this way.

If you want more security, then you don't create alias, and just use the identifier, it'll never be guessed. Basically attackers can't even obtain your user name, let alone your password.

Is there any chance to have identifier hacked? What i like about that is hackers can have your password but they can't hack you because they don't know the identifier, so know only the password is useless.

But the problem is if they can steal the identifier code... Is it possible?

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
ripplehd

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 08:39:36 PM

blockchain has a bug when you want to verify you number it doesnt let you. It only sends a sms code to a mobile. anyone else have the same error? Huh

bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2016, 02:09:55 AM

Is there any chance to have identifier hacked? What i like about that is hackers can have your password but they can't hack you because they don't know the identifier, so know only the password is useless.

AFAIK, blockchain.info sends your identifier to your email, so in a way it can be hacked if a hacker gains access to your email, which is why it is recommended to have strong password and enable 2fa. Having said that there other better options than using web wallets, desktop wallets such as Electrum for example.

blockchain has a bug when you want to verify you number it doesnt let you. It only sends a sms code to a mobile. anyone else have the same error? Huh

Contact their support and once they verify that you're the original owner of the account they will remove the 2fa.

KenR

Activity: 910

「きみはこれ&#

View Profile
April 06, 2016, 02:17:03 AM

Good Question.

The wallet identifier is unique for every user.The main purpose of having a wallet identifier which we usually refer to unique url in the crypto based websites ,is to keep
1.Anonymity
2.Ease of service access without having to sign up
Wouldn't it be strain to put your username and password everytime  you log on from the same computer ? The unique identifier does the job of remembering you by keeping itself in its place as long as the connection is from the same IP,this way it can make out that its the owner who is accessing the wallet and of course you have to put your password then.

████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
  ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
  .WEBSITE.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  .ANN THREAD.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
mrcash02

View Profile
April 06, 2016, 02:55:17 AM

So, after your replies, i think the Blockchain.info identifier is very safe. I have my own on a notebook and i suggest to all do the same, don't keep it on any computer file or email (i didn't know that they sent to email, i will delete it for caution right now).

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1442
Merit: 529

View Profile
April 06, 2016, 06:26:26 AM

Blockchain.info is good wallet for noobs, but once you reach a higher level in knowledge, then you definitely need to step up your security to use desktop wallets like Electrum or Multibit, or even buy a hardware wallet when the number of BTC in your posses keeps growing. Blockchain.info wallet isn't precisely the safest, cause 90% of horror stories (funds stolen) are from this wallet. You can now do your own research and choose whats best for you, I definitely don't recommend this wallet in the long run, just a bit , just to familiarize yourself a bit with Bitcoin.
Digital_Lord

Activity: 1498
Merit: 502

👉bit.ly/3QXp3oh | 🔥 Ultimate Launc

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2016, 06:35:43 AM

my blockchain account got hacked back in my early days.. and I lost some money, I open my wallet and found that my account is empty and one unkown transaction have been made..
but I don't know how the hacker hacked my accounts. he may hacked my account with Identifier. if it is possible.

.TONUP..
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
▄▄███████▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████▄░▄▄▀█████▀▄████▄
▄███████▄▀█▄▀██▀▄███████▄
█████████▄▀█▄▀▄██████████
██████████▄▀█▄▀██████████
██████████▀▄▀█▄▀█████████
▀███████▀▄██▄▀█▄▀███████▀
▀████▀▄█████▄▀▀░▀█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀█████▄
▄██████████▀▀█████▐████▄
██████▀▀████▄▄▀▀█████████
████▄▄███▄██▀█████▐██████
█████████▀██████████████
▀███████▌▐██████▐██████▀
▀███████▄▄███▄████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████▀▀███▀▀███▀▀██▀███▄
████▀███████▀█▀███▀█████
██████████████████████
████▄███████▄█▄███▄█████
▀████▄▄███▄▄███▄▄██▄███▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
...JOIN NOW...
extrabyte
Legendary

Activity: 840

View Profile
April 06, 2016, 06:45:12 AM

my blockchain account got hacked back in my early days.. and I lost some money, I open my wallet and found that my account is empty and one unkown transaction have been made..
but I don't know how the hacker hacked my accounts. he may hacked my account with Identifier. if it is possible.
it is possible mate.. you might saved (remembered) your identifier and password in your browser. hackers can easily get access to every one's browser.
so please every one don't remember your usernames and paswords of any sites in the browser. other wise your account may be get hacked
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
April 06, 2016, 01:40:51 PM

it is possible mate.. you might saved (remembered) your identifier and password in your browser. hackers can easily get access to every one's browser.
so please every one don't remember your usernames and paswords of any sites in the browser. other wise your account may be get hacked

it is hard to tell why someone else's account was hacked without having all the information. for example it can be because of a keylogger that he couldn't find on his computer which captured his password and forwarded it to the hacker.

or in some cases I have seen the reason for being hack was a weak password or a password that they have used in multiple places. like same password for the wallet and a shady service or forum on the web.

all those layers of security is offered to protect us against these things, you should set a strong password (random words with numbers and sings and long one) and also enable 2FA wherever it is available.

Only Bitcoin
mrcash02

View Profile
April 06, 2016, 05:06:32 PM

it is hard to tell why someone else's account was hacked without having all the information. for example it can be because of a keylogger that he couldn't find on his computer which captured his password and forwarded it to the hacker.

or in some cases I have seen the reason for being hack was a weak password or a password that they have used in multiple places. like same password for the wallet and a shady service or forum on the web.

all those layers of security is offered to protect us against these things, you should set a strong password (random words with numbers and sings and long one) and also enable 2FA wherever it is available.

If the hacker knows only the passwrod he can do nothing, the precious key is the identifier. The identifier can't be saved on computer file or browser. Better to keep it wrote on a notebook. As was said above, it's hard to know why the account was hacked without all informations about.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
~Bitcoin~
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
April 06, 2016, 05:38:56 PM

Its like username for your wallet and it will be associated with your email so you need to verify everytime you use new browser to login. You need to save both password and identifier and also should always have access to your email you used to signup to get into wallet anytime.

Identifier is as your username to login.  Wink

target
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1041

View Profile
April 06, 2016, 05:44:31 PM

identifier is much harder to guess than my password actually  Grin it may just be enough not to get hacked. And so even if your password is simple, none might even try hacking an account.
but more importantly is the mnemonic phrase is because thats what you use to recover your simple password.

molotok (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2016, 09:02:09 PM

Ok, I get the point. Thanks. Still, if I delete my browser's cookies, or maybe after an update, the identifier will be gone from the login window, and since it is not safe to store the identifier on the computer I will then have to search for the paper sheet I put it down on and re-enter it manually. Which is a bit of a hassle.

Also, of course, using only the identifier is unpractical when you want to login from a different computer.
noel57

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 08, 2016, 02:55:21 AM

This is simply use as a method for uniqueness just as bitcoin use address and not account number.

bitbaby

Activity: 812

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2016, 03:52:13 AM

Ok, I get the point. Thanks. Still, if I delete my browser's cookies, or maybe after an update, the identifier will be gone from the login window, and since it is not safe to store the identifier on the computer I will then have to search for the paper sheet I put it down on and re-enter it manually. Which is a bit of a hassle.

Also, of course, using only the identifier is unpractical when you want to login from a different computer.

If you read my reply above, I have already mentioned that when you make a blockchain.info wallet, they send the identifier in the email, anytime you try to log in the verification email contains the identifier as well.

And you can store the identifier on your computer, a hacker cannot open your account with just the identifier. It would require Identifier+Password+2fa(if you enable that) to gain access.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: