Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 08:17:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The psychology of bitcoin prices  (Read 5045 times)
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2121

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 04:09:18 PM

I just watched a YouTube video about the "case for $960 [per ozt] silver". In the Roman Empire, historically, one silver denarius of about a tenth of an ounce, was equated in value to about a day's hard labour. In modern society it seems that gold and silver have been seriously demonetized, and presumably, if it comes to pass, a failure, either partial or total, of paper money/credit, will revalue them closer to their historic value. That's what the metalbugs think, anyway, but there's no absolute certainty they're right, only a degree of probability.

That makes no sense to me. Since then, materials have changed, mining technologies have changed, the population has changed and jewelery and coin production methodologies and usages have changed. To say they are currently undervalued is one thing but to make claims that they will revalue close to their previous values is unfounded.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 04:12:21 PM

Why should people return to silver and gold when there is a far superior alternative?

I think I know what you're referring to Grin but that "far superior alternative" still requires internet. Gold and silver aren't going away (IMO): we know have precious metals and cryptocurrencies (of which BTC is king) to work with, and you can never have too much free competition.

I think gold may get the squeeze from bitcoin. Silver is still reasonable to be used as a currency in the case of collapse but gold, whilst not completely useless, is a bit ungainly in such circumstances.

nobbynobbynoob (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2013, 04:13:23 PM

I just watched a YouTube video about the "case for $960 [per ozt] silver". In the Roman Empire, historically, one silver denarius of about a tenth of an ounce, was equated in value to about a day's hard labour. In modern society it seems that gold and silver have been seriously demonetized, and presumably, if it comes to pass, a failure, either partial or total, of paper money/credit, will revalue them closer to their historic value. That's what the metalbugs think, anyway, but there's no absolute certainty they're right, only a degree of probability.

That makes no sense to me. Since then, materials have changed, mining technologies have changed, the population has changed and jewelery and coin production methodologies and usages have changed. To say they are currently undervalued is one thing but to make claims that they will revalue close to their previous values is unfounded.

It may well be, but on the other hand when you have thousands of years of history to back up a theory...

Personally, I'm not making any prediction that Ag will rise to $1k/ozt in today's money any time soon, for that would be silly. But the video is somewhat interesting anyway.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 04:25:43 PM

It may well be, but on the other hand when you have thousands of years of history to back up a theory...

1000 years of history has us riding horses and burning dung to stay warm. 1000 years is a short period time in one aspect and a long period of time in another. So much has changed in the last 200 years and it would take something very, very drastic to reverse some of those changes (using steam as a power source will likely never go away for example) and something that drastic would complicate calculations of price more, not less.

Regardless, I'm planning on adding some silver to the portfolio. Though durable goods is top of the list at the moment.

Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 04:27:13 PM

Why should people return to silver and gold when there is a far superior alternative?

I think I know what you're referring to Grin but that "far superior alternative" still requires internet. Gold and silver aren't going away (IMO): we know have precious metals and cryptocurrencies (of which BTC is king) to work with, and you can never have too much free competition.

Well, gold and silver require a truck... or a pretty large wheelbarrow.  Cheesy
Grouver (BtcBalance)

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 09:19:12 AM

$40 or $50 would be a great point to gladly change this.
$50 for just 1 Bitcoin is for most people not psychological doable.

Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 02:50:07 PM

Pfft. So will the dollar, soon.

nobbynobbynoob (OP)

Activity: 784

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 06:18:03 PM

They can always print them in trillion-denominations, like Zim dollars. Grin

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 07:11:28 PM

They can always print them in trillion-denominations, like Zim dollars. Grin

Heh. I found this

But to try and pin it on Obama would be to miss the many, many others who are complicit in this fraud.

Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 07:32:12 PM

But to try and pin it on Obama would be to miss the many, many others who are complicit in this fraud.
The party started some 40 years ago. Obama came at a time when the music stopped and the booze ran out.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: