Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:55:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My "Almost a Problem" with Trezor  (Read 495 times)
OROBTC (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
April 08, 2016, 04:09:26 AM

I really like the idea of hardware wallets to keep my BTC safe.  I had a near-problem with blockchain.info's wallet once (THEIR fault though, smile).

But, just the other day I almost had a problem with my Trezor.  Each time in the past few months I have checked in with it, I am informed that a firmware update is recommended.  So, I just ignored that as long as I could.  Until I got a message just a few days ago saying that I ought to update the firmware, and when I closed the message and tried to log-in, well it would not let me...

(I hate firmware updates like this, even for our Blue-Ray machine connected with our TV)

The message came again, and it said to have my Recovery Seed (the 24 words) handy, just in case of a failure (which they wrote was "very rare").

OK, the update went OK, the second time.....

In LiteCoinGuy's hardware thread, I once commented that I looked with GREAT FAVOR on DigitalBitBox's upcoming hardware that will NEVER have such an update (in fact, won't allow it).

But, I now think that Ledger (asking to install an update now) and Trezor again in the future will keep pestering me to update, yuck.
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
April 08, 2016, 04:22:42 AM

hypothetical i mentioned last year
imagine you had a virus on your computer.. that displayed a prompt exactly like the update firmware message.

then it said update failed. please input your seed.
secretly there was no update, it was just 2 prompts to scare you into typing your seed.

this is why firmware updates via a computer are risky and can be abused via man in the middle attacks and viruses.

i too would prefer a hardware wallet that wasnt reliant on updates or even browser plugins to function.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: