Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:10:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC manufactures ... who is who?  (Read 1426 times)
BitcoinNational (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1010

Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics

View Profile
April 07, 2016, 11:26:15 AM

Sorry bit of a noob question.

Looking to make a comprehensive list of all reputable manufactures, feel free to list the infamous ones too.

LIST
https://www.bitmaintech.com

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄████▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▄
         ▄████████████████▄▄▄███████
       ▄█████████████████████████████
     ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████████▄
   ▄████████▀█▀███▀        ███████████
 ▄████████▀███             ███████████
▄███████▀████                ██████████▄
███████████▀                  ██████████
 ██████▄████                   ██████▄███
  ██████▄████                 ▄█████████
   ██████▄████              ▄██████████
    ██████▄█████▄▄▄▄▄     ▄████████▀
     ██████▄████████████▄████████▀█▀██▀
      ██████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀█▀██▀
       ██████████████████████▀█▀█▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
                      ▀██▀▀
─────────────────
Revolutionized.  ──

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.WHITEPAPER.
ANN Thread
Reddit

█████
██
██ █
██ █
██ █
   █

─────────────  Join
SMARC token ICO

█████
   ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 3409

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2016, 12:04:35 PM

Here's a list of asic mining manufacturers for BTCitcoin: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/List_of_Bitcoin_mining_ASICs
By the way, if there's some infamous ones, then surely they aren't considered a reputable manufacturers after all and would be better if you wouldn't add them to your list.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2016, 02:26:59 PM

See here

Finksy
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 07, 2016, 08:34:19 PM

In no particular order:

Bitmaintech (currently selling)
Avalon (last gen-ish A6, still selling)
BW (just announced they're not opening public sales until at least June)
Bitfury (lots of talk, no chips/miners as of yet available for sale to public)
Spondoolies-Tech (same as above but considerably less promising)
Innosilicon and subsidiary manufacturers (No recent news, should have their 14/16nm A3-based miner out this spring/summer)

I personally don't think now is a great time to be buying hardware, but to each their own.  The price on Bitmain's recent batch of S7's is very good, but I personally wouldn't trust a 1-fan design for cooling ~1400W of gear. As soon as anyone knows anything, you will surely find it in the hardware section here.

Rules of BitClub:

1) You don't preorder miners.
2) You DO NOT preorder miners.
3) Take dogie's guides with a grain of salt.

IBM 2880W PSU Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=966135 IBM 4K PSU Breakout Boards & Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296 
Server PSU-powered GPU rig solutions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1864539  Wallet address: 1GWQYCv22cAikgTgT1zFuAmsJ9fFqq9TXf 
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 07, 2016, 08:38:09 PM

4) All crypto ASIC suppliers / manufactures are evil.

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2016, 09:44:08 PM

I personally wouldn't trust a 1-fan design for cooling ~1400W of gear.

The ASICMiner Prisma used a much less efficient heatsink design to cool 1150W on one fan.

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2016, 09:47:08 PM

The ASICMiner Prisma used a much less efficient heatsink design to cool 1150W on one fan.

You will see a decent amount of prisma's with issues be it burnt blades or other issues.   They were not the best design I don't think.  I personally skipped the miner completely, and did not regret it.
dance191

Activity: 261
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 07, 2016, 10:12:08 PM

And that machine is #1 when it comes to catching on fire and/or exploding.  That is something you don't want to be #1 at Smiley
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
April 07, 2016, 10:20:17 PM

I hosted 11 at one time. None of them caught on fire, but then they were in a 40F ambient room the whole time and I still had them suspended over a metal-wrapped shelf just in case.

One of the problems with the Prisma was a lot of air escaped out the middle of the endcap. If that was blocked off, it forced more air to go through the end of the heatsink and kept 'em cool better. Tubes had a similar problem.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
April 07, 2016, 10:49:17 PM

One of the problems with the Prisma was a lot of air escaped out the middle of the endcap. If that was blocked off, it forced more air to go through the end of the heatsink and kept 'em cool better. Tubes had a similar problem.
Geeze that makes me feel old... Back in the mid 70's when I was in the Airforce I worked on some SCR switching power supplies for microwave xmitters - 10kw @ 5kvdc... Anywho the banks of scr's used the exact same heatsink design but 1 piece (a Wakfield part actually) vs 4.

Same potential problem of air bypass down the center. Perfect solution is a cone pointing inward for about 1/2 the heatsink length vs a flat plate blocking it. The cone creates a much smoother pressure distribution towards the fins, flat plate makes a lot of turbulence right where ya don't want it - at the heatsink exit.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
April 07, 2016, 11:03:21 PM

I wouldn't exactly say that but -- they ARE strictly in it for the money. That said, yes there have been many that pushed things too far and definitely took advantage of a market that was biting at every Shiny New Thing they announced eg, AMT/Bitmine.ch, BFL, BA et al and I am sure that there will be others. Still definitely Buyer Beware of any new company that shows up.

For now, the only ones still standing with any decent reputation for delivering product after the past 2 years of scammers are Bitmaintech, Avalon, and BitFury. Love'em or loath'em, only Bitmain and Avalon make usable miners for the general public. I leave out Inno because of the A1 is now useless and anything based on their A3 still ain't there for the public. As for the SP50... Roll Eyes

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Finksy
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 07, 2016, 11:36:03 PM

I would not characterize the Prisma as reliable or a commercial success, nor would I the S7 as having an efficient heatsink design, but whatever. Time will tell!

IBM 2880W PSU Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=966135 IBM 4K PSU Breakout Boards & Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296 
Server PSU-powered GPU rig solutions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1864539  Wallet address: 1GWQYCv22cAikgTgT1zFuAmsJ9fFqq9TXf 
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
April 08, 2016, 03:16:28 AM

I wouldn't exactly say that but -- they ARE strictly in it for the money. That said, yes there have been many that pushed things too far and definitely took advantage of a market that was biting at every Shiny New Thing they announced eg, AMT/Bitmine.ch, BFL, BA et al and I am sure that there will be others. Still definitely Buyer Beware of any new company that shows up.

For now, the only ones still standing with any decent reputation for delivering product after the past 2 years of scammers are Bitmaintech, Avalon, and BitFury. Love'em or loath'em, only Bitmain and Avalon make usable miners for the general public. I leave out Inno because of the A1 is now useless and anything based on their A3 still ain't there for the public. As for the SP50... Roll Eyes
All mining hardware companies pretend to make very reliable hardware to boost their image, then cut down on every cost possible to save money and still rake in a good profit. If only greed didn't do that to people, we might have good miners. There likely won't be new asic chip companies in the future as we're in too deep and there's just too much competition in the ASIC market nowadays with Avalon, Bitfury and the occasional Gridseed miner flooding the market.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2016, 03:58:56 AM

Yeah, it's too bad greed is way more profitable (especially in a race) and hurts the survivability of a more ethical enterprise. Well, and a more ethical enterprise would probably be more conservative with initial capital so wouldn't grow to a substantial market share as quickly as the guys who take the big risks that do pay out (as opposed to the guys who take the big risks that fail, as the majority of mining ASIC manufacturers have done to the ruin of many).

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
April 08, 2016, 07:16:42 AM

And that machine is #1 when it comes to catching on fire and/or exploding.  That is something you don't want to be #1 at Smiley

#2 to the Neptune actually. Which is STILL a bad place to be.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2016, 01:09:11 AM

I would not characterize the Prisma as reliable or a commercial success, nor would I the S7 as having an efficient heatsink design, but whatever. Time will tell!

I said the S7 uses a comparatively better design than the Prisma which blew a lot of its air through the central core rather than the fins, as well as using bulk heatsinks rather than individual chips.

spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 15, 2016, 05:40:21 PM

Bitmain and Sidehack have both created solid miners and have always delivered.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2016, 05:41:57 PM

To date I have created and delivered exactly one solid miner. I am also not an ASIC maufacturer; they were Bitmain chips.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: