Bitcoin Forum
November 23, 2017, 08:20:16 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  
Author Topic: My 1 gpu now 11gpus 5rigs for Ethereum. 45 days of mining. Photos thoughts.  (Read 49274 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
JackJokasker

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 04:46:12 AM

wow nice project Grin
ethereum most on this moon

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Join ICO Now Coinlancer is Disrupting the Freelance marketplace!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mandica

Activity: 644

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2016, 10:45:22 AM

wow nice project Grin

The ETH might go to the moon. But I doubt the ETC will go to the moon. One of them will die in the next few months.

▄▄████ ▀████▄▄
▄▄██▀▀ ▄▄ ▄██ ▄▄▄ ▀▀██▄▄
▄█▀▀ ▄▄▀▀   ███▄   ▀▀▄▄ ▀▀█▄
▄█▀ ▄█▀    ▄█ ▀████▄     ▀█▄ ▀█▄
▄█ ▄█      ████ ▀█████       █▄ █▄
██ ▄▀   ▄█  ▀████▄ ▀█▀         ▀▄ ██
▄█ ▄█    ███▄  ▀████▄▄           █▄ █▄
██     ▀████▄  ▀██████▄         █ ██
██       ▀█████▄ ▀▀█████▄       █ ██
██         ▀█████▄▄ ▀████▄      █ ██
▀█ ▀█           ▀█████▄ ▀██▀     █▀ █▀
██ ▀▄        ▄█▄ ▀████▄ █▀     ▄▀ ██
▀█ ▀█      █████▄ ▀███       █▀ █▀
▀█▄ ▀█▄    ▀█████  █▀    ▄█▀ ▄█▀
▀█▄▄ ▀▀▄▄  ▀████   ▄▄▀▀ ▄▄█▀
▀▀██▄▄▄▀▀▀ ██  ▀▀▄▄▄██▀▀
▀▀████ ▀ ▄████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██   ████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀▀   ▀▀▀▀
  Anonymous    Secure    Untraceable 
Spectre blog
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
twitter
Spectre slack
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
facebook
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 1932

A new tool for prediction https://bitvol.info/

View Profile
July 30, 2016, 01:42:08 PM

wow nice project Grin

The ETH might go to the moon. But I doubt the ETC will go to the moon. One of them will die in the next few months.

Yeah   and the easy way to play it is mine ETH,  Then buy  and HODL  some ETC. Grin

Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to : 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
I mine alt coins with https://simplemining.net I see BTC as the super highway and alt coins as taxis and trucks needed to move transactions.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 1367

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
July 31, 2016, 12:15:34 PM

had some fun last week..

my basement ubuntu 15.10 eth miner dual mining sia/eth with a seasonic x750, r9 380/r9 390 became unstable. locked up a few times. tried the usual troubleshooting stuff.. swap 390 with another 390 thats in this daily driver in the living room, run the 380/390 alone (380 would not run alone for whatever reason though, couldnt build the dag), swapped ram with known good ram. in short swapped everything but mobo/cpu/psu. still would lock up anywhere from a few minutes to a couple hours.

ah well methinks, the mobo is old and tired. it was an old repurposed dell with a q6600 from 2008 or so. time to build a new miner platform.

gigabyte Z97X UD3H, intel celeron 1840, 8 gigs ripjaws, and another 128 gb ssd (cant have to many ssds ya know)

and when I started to swap the psu over to the new build it what do I see?

yup never bothered to check the seasonic socket or plug.. DOH. video card side is fine. this string had 2 x 6+2 pcie plugs and both were plugged into the 390s two 8 pin pcie sockets.

now that ive researched a bit i do believe seasonic had a bad batch of cables on the seasonic x750 series and mine is in that time frame. they should send new cables. the psu im not worried about, there are other sockets i can use.

upshot is even though i had used an IR temp gun to check temps, had a fan blowing on the cables themselves (but NOT on the socket side of the psu) and regularly felt the cable every couple days, this still happened.

so the real reason the old rig was unstable was USER ERROR. of course Smiley
ps_jb

View Profile
July 31, 2016, 01:50:33 PM

had some fun last week..

Thank you - I usually find burned risers wires, but things like that - impressive

Did you feel any smell (after shutting down cards)?

Good job!
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2016, 02:37:18 PM

the melt a wire trick. Grin Grin

Yeah seasonic has done that to me to.

also remember that removal and replugging a pcie cable kills it quickly.

I  like to find a psu with a few permanent pcie cables

this is pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/Enermax-Platimax-Modular-Cable-EPM850EWT/dp/B006X6VTR8/ref=sr_1_1_m?

Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to : 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
I mine alt coins with https://simplemining.net I see BTC as the super highway and alt coins as taxis and trucks needed to move transactions.
vapourminer
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2016, 03:07:05 PM

had some fun last week..

Thank you - I usually find burned risers wires, but things like that - impressive

Did you feel any smell (after shutting down cards)?

Good job!

nope no smell at all. it is a big basement though and i only go down every few days. and this may of happened over the course of weeks/months. but i had shut it down a few days before all this till i could troubleshoot stuff. no smell at that time. btw swapped risers too during the troubleshooting phase.

best part: after i ordered the new parts i had booted one last time and it came up, so i left it running. so it ran 4 days like that till i shut it down for the rebuild. and who knows how long it was burning up, that rig has been running a few months 24/7

got another shot of the plug from another angle, ill post it too in a bit
vapourminer
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2016, 03:13:32 PM

this is pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/Enermax-Platimax-Modular-Cable-EPM850EWT/dp/B006X6VTR8/ref=sr_1_1_m?

that seasonic is from the btc mining days and had been sitting on the shelf for a couple years after the asic onslaught. 7 year warranty so no worries..

that string may of been plugged in/unplugged maybe 5 times on the psu side? on the vid card side maybe a couple dozen.

that enermax looks nice but if i do anymore crypto psus they likely will be sidehack harnesses on server psus. kinda depends on how thinks work out with gpu mining i guess.

the only computer psu im in the market for in the near future may be a small 400 watt gold for a supermicro based freenas server that will replace my current build. want ecc memory and such this time around.
vapourminer
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2016, 04:50:37 PM

another angle of the plug.

right now that rig is running a single 390 mining eth only with the other 2 x 6+2 string.. I also have a 2 molex to 8 pin pcie adapter coming to power the 380 with its single 8 pin connector. again eth only till the new cables come.

once i get new wires from seasonic ill switch back to dual mining

btw the cards were running bone stock volts and clocks.
ps_jb

View Profile
July 31, 2016, 05:00:25 PM

That is definitely problem of cables/PSU quality

Mine are heavily overclocked and in dual mining. So melting of risers is what you can expect.

Good luck!
miayama

Activity: 363

View Profile
July 31, 2016, 05:30:25 PM

Mine are heavily overclocked and in dual mining. So melting of risers is what you can expect.

Good luck!

I do not run the cards at stock voltage when using the stock frequency. I will undervolt and use the stock frequency.

vapourminer
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2016, 05:35:55 PM

Good luck!

I do not run the cards at stock voltage when using the stock frequency. I will undervolt and use the stock frequency.

that rig runs ubuntu. no afterburner/trixx etc, so no easy way to undervolt.

i did mod the bios of the 390 but switched back to stock as it wasnt stable enough. ill try again at some point.
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2016, 08:27:32 PM

this is pretty good.

that seasonic is from the btc mining days and had been sitting on the shelf for a couple years after the asic onslaught. 7 year warranty so no worries..

that string may of been plugged in/unplugged maybe 5 times on the psu side? on the vid card side maybe a couple dozen.

that enermax looks nice but if i do anymore crypto psus they likely will be sidehack harnesses on server psus. kinda depends on how thinks work out with gpu mining i guess.

the only computer psu im in the market for in the near future may be a small 400 watt gold for a supermicro based freenas server that will replace my current build. want ecc memory and such this time around.

should last 10 to 20 cycles  not just five.

but i was surprised to learn that 10 to 20 is normal to kill one off.

I had killed mine on avalon 6's which pull heavy power.

vapourminer
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2016, 08:33:05 PM

should last 10 to 20 cycles  not just five.

but i was surprised to learn that 10 to 20 is normal to kill one off.

I had killed mine on avalon 6's which pull heavy power.

10-20? damn, i would of guessed much more than that.

have to pay more attention to the plugs now. I just check to see if they are not sprung/bent and look clean put guess ill use contact cleaner every time from now on. and even then..
arielbit
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
July 31, 2016, 10:33:12 PM

sometimes if the PSU still have a spare PCIE power cable, it is wise to use "two separate" PCIE power cable to the two PCIE socket of high power consuming GPUs like 390x or 390s.

it is also better to assign 1 sata/molex power cable per pcie-usb GPU riser to high power consuming GPUs

burned connections basically is just burned "connection" if you can reconnect it will be up and running again..already done it to a PSU and a motherboard....if warranty allows, always avail for warranty.
vapourminer
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2016, 10:54:43 PM

yup, i do that when i can. this psu only had two pcie strings each with 2 x 6+2s on it. the 390 got two on one string, the 380 got one on the other string. figured its made that way cuz its rated for it..

seasonic did have a bad batch of cables on some "x" series back when i bought this psu. pity i didnt know about it earlier. dont think i even registered the psu with seasonic when i bought it. i do have the newegg receipt though.

ive always been careful around high powered electronics. even had a fan that just blew mainly on the cables although it didnt hit the side of the psu with the plugs on it.

i could clean the connectors up, cut the bad wires out, even re pin them and reuse them i suppose but why take the chance?
arielbit
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
July 31, 2016, 11:51:48 PM

i could clean the connectors up, cut the bad wires out, even re pin them and reuse them i suppose but why take the chance?

if warranty is not possible.....

from where i live, pins and sockets is hard to come by...what i did to a PSU of mine is open it and solder the cable directly inside (cut the pins and bad wire) ... remove the burned socket or drill a hole, whichever is best.
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2016, 03:25:26 AM

some fast math:

4 s-9's  mining in the solar array  doing 50 th earn  1.767 btc  monthly  before  power and maintenance costs.

4 s-9's and 4 psus run about 8000 usd

I use 5500 watts.

My fee is ½ the coins  so I am netting .88btc or 555 usd a month.

I earned a lot more prior to the ½ ing. So the deal is not too bad.

my eth gear  is about 285mh and it all earns about 1.224 btc monthly   before power and maintenance costs

it is 11 gpus and 5 pc's about 5000 usd

I use  2000 watts  I pay pretty a high price for summer power in house 1500 kwatts a month at 18 cents = 270 usd

in the winter I drop to 9 cents  135 usd.

So I net 503 a month when power is high now
I get a 135 drop in power costs OCT 1

So   for after the ½ ing Eth looks far better  then btc.

LoneRangir

Activity: 639

View Profile
August 01, 2016, 03:45:04 AM

I'm rather new to ETH.... Is there a halving on the horizon?

My S7s are basically at break even with respect to how much I pay to host them, since after the halving of BTC.
aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
August 01, 2016, 04:20:28 AM

had some fun last week..

my basement ubuntu 15.10 eth miner dual mining sia/eth with a seasonic x750, r9 380/r9 390 became unstable. locked up a few times. tried the usual troubleshooting stuff.. swap 390 with another 390 thats in this daily driver in the living room, run the 380/390 alone (380 would not run alone for whatever reason though, couldnt build the dag), swapped ram with known good ram. in short swapped everything but mobo/cpu/psu. still would lock up anywhere from a few minutes to a couple hours.

ah well methinks, the mobo is old and tired. it was an old repurposed dell with a q6600 from 2008 or so. time to build a new miner platform.

gigabyte Z97X UD3H, intel celeron 1840, 8 gigs ripjaws, and another 128 gb ssd (cant have to many ssds ya know)

and when I started to swap the psu over to the new build it what do I see?

yup never bothered to check the seasonic socket or plug.. DOH. video card side is fine. this string had 2 x 6+2 pcie plugs and both were plugged into the 390s two 8 pin pcie sockets.

now that ive researched a bit i do believe seasonic had a bad batch of cables on the seasonic x750 series and mine is in that time frame. they should send new cables. the psu im not worried about, there are other sockets i can use.

upshot is even though i had used an IR temp gun to check temps, had a fan blowing on the cables themselves (but NOT on the socket side of the psu) and regularly felt the cable every couple days, this still happened.

so the real reason the old rig was unstable was USER ERROR. of course Smiley

exact same thing for me. it still works tho, just got new cables and moved to fresh sockets,
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.