Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:48:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to protect an account from being hacked?  (Read 1496 times)
lolxxxx
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2016, 04:30:15 AM

Stake your bitcoin address , so in the case if your bitcointalk.org account get hacked you can prove the ownership . Use a strong,complicated password ,accounts with password containing @!# and upper case lower case and as well as numeric values dont get hacked easily.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
doflamingo

Activity: 254
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2016, 08:24:37 AM

I think admin should add 2-steps verification like Google Authentication,it helps us can protect own acoounts.
Keselencoey

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 08:34:49 AM

i wouldn't trust anyone that strange and offer something in PM that unbelieveable even they said i can get high rewards
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2016, 09:11:14 AM

PHISHING sites seem to be a BIG problem lately also, so I recommend using a password manager.

The lifehacker website has a pretty good list here http://lifehacker.com/5529133/five-best-password-managers

My pw manager has saved me from 3 phishing sites just this past week alone.

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 12:34:21 PM

Simple, just don't be a fool .... and improve your security (study , study and study).
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 02:13:55 PM

[2] Change password daily and maintain a thread in meta stating reason for password change as security measure

Changing passwords daily will also help and be sure to maintain a thread in meta stating reason for password changes as "Security Measure" with a signed message from bitcoin address staked in.
This is probably a bad idea. Frequently changing your password is a good way to end up with a password that you will forget, and/or will encourage you to use a more simple password that is easier to guess.

It would be a better idea to use a more complex password that a) you will remember and b) will be difficult to crack in the event that password hashes leak again.

Also it is probably unnecessary to create a thread for every-time you change your password, however if you do create such thread, changing your password has nothing to do with the forum, so it would not belong in meta. It would however belong in reputation.
btc-facebook
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 02:43:02 PM

Just make sure that you're replied your address on somewhere and once you got hacked , you can prove your ownership by signing message.

In order to prevent being hack, just do not trust anyone too early ( someone may give you suspicious link ) !
whywefight
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1042

www.explorerz.top

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 03:09:26 PM

I have seen several cases where someone has their bitcointalk.org account hacked and has to prove that they were the original owner.  What is the best thing I can do to protect my account so that if it is hacked, I can prove it is mine?

Things to do to protect your account from being hacked:-

[1] Stake a bitcoin address here

Why?=>Most of trades goes through with process of signed message from bitcoin address that was staked in 3 months or more.So if hacker tries to trade he will be asked for signed message from bitcoin address that you had staked in.

[2] Change password daily and maintain a thread in meta stating reason for password change as security measure

Changing passwords daily will also help and be sure to maintain a thread in meta stating reason for password changes as "Security Measure" with a signed message from bitcoin address staked in.

[3] Open account daily once and keep a check on accounts activities

[4] Always maintain a tight password and not the ones that hacker can easily guess

Along with this also maintain the [1] point.

Best response. I do the same. As PW changes are located in the sec log i post a signed message after a change here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1361412.msg13853622#msg13853622
So far i only changed it once but this thread reminds me to change it.

I use a tool called KeePass to keep track of my pws.

http://keepass.info/download.html

MyBTT

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2016, 12:41:36 AM

I have seen several cases where someone has their bitcointalk.org account hacked and has to prove that they were the original owner.  What is the best thing I can do to protect my account so that if it is hacked, I can prove it is mine?

The biggest thing is don't use online wallets get one on your computer or phone then password protect it.  Even better get a cold storage device, put them on and keep it disconnected from the internet.
What the hell. OP is asking about bitcointalk accounts, no Bitcoin wallets. The best way is post your address on the meta thread and if your account does get hacked, give an admin a signed message from that account and you might get the account back.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
brianlee01

Activity: 476

View Profile
April 03, 2016, 01:54:05 AM

Sign message the only best way to make your account protected by hacker. But you must stake your address in staking address thread, it must be staked 3 months.
BitsandBites

Activity: 350

View Profile
April 03, 2016, 02:26:25 AM

Always change your password.
You can never be sure, if someone hacked you, and you changed it fast enough, you can still be fine.
thesame12

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 03, 2016, 03:34:22 AM

Stake your address at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.0 with a signed message, check the url to see if you are't in a phishing site, or just stay logged in. If you know you are still logged in and a phishing site tells you that aren't, it's pretty obvious that it is a phishing site.
Avirunes
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2016, 04:01:43 AM

Thanks for mentioning the software name.I started using the same.
-snip-
This is probably a bad idea. Frequently changing your password is a good way to end up with a password that you will forget, and/or will encourage you to use a more simple password that is easier to guess.

It would be a better idea to use a more complex password that a) you will remember and b) will be difficult to crack in the event that password

Well I didn't added a point regarding use of software that saves and manages your password.Above software mentioned by whywefight is the best currently to do that.Also i feel that making a complex password is OK .Well the reason I mentioned that point [2] is because I was too keeping the same password with mix of symbols and uppercase and lowercase characters and tight one but since last 2-3 weeks I am getting emails regarding suspicious logins from exchange and pools sites.Reason=> I continued using the same password everywhere . So it is better to keep different passwords for different sites and keep a pasword manager for the same.Most of you guys don't like my second point and I am now also feeling the same so you can do the step that I have marked(in bold) in previous line.

-snip-

What if the owner themselves forget the password???
I have seen a thread some time before where possibility is shown that you need x amount of characters (including numbers and special characters) and no one is able to hack your account...
I don't remember the thread, nor do I have any reference, but all I know is, the thread was from theymos...
hashes leak again.

Also it is probably unnecessary to create a thread for every-time you change your password, however if you do create such thread, changing your password has nothing to do with the forum, so it would not belong in meta. It would however belong in reputation.
[/quote]

Well you got this other away around.I meant to create a thread just like whywefight did and mentioning regarding password change for whatever period (say daily,monthly,yearly). I think Meta is fine to announce it and may I know why reputation instead of meta? I would glad to know the reason. Smiley
NeilLostBitCoin

Activity: 868
Merit: 303

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2016, 12:47:45 AM

Don't ever give your password to anyone, use alphanumeric password. Also always clean your browser, there's a chance for your browser of being hijacked.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
April 07, 2016, 01:23:39 AM

PHISHING sites seem to be a BIG problem lately also, so I recommend using a password manager.

The lifehacker website has a pretty good list here http://lifehacker.com/5529133/five-best-password-managers

My pw manager has saved me from 3 phishing sites just this past week alone.

Use a good password manager is honestly a great idea.  I combine it with 2nd factor to.  I use Yubikey's with my password manager you cannot access it without me physically pressing the Yubikey. 

But use different password for each crypto site it is big deal anymore.  Also using different emails for certain things is not a bad idea.
boyptc

Activity: 2996
Merit: 680

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
April 07, 2016, 05:52:29 AM

Don't tell someone your password and other security features as well. And if another member is offering you something and he is giving a link. Don't click it try to research first because there is a possibility that link would be malware or viruses that can hack your account.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
April 07, 2016, 01:22:46 PM

Don't use easy passwords because people may use brute force to crack easy passwords. Moreover try to use btc address which u can sign message from later if needed to prove.

And this is the good thing about some password managers is unique and hard passwords to crack.  Random letters/number/symbols tend to be better then dictionary words when someone is trying to crack passwords.

So say if a database is taken if your using one of these random passwords it should give you more time to change password, compared to a dictionary word.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: