Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:17:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Protecting Myself Against A Scam Accusation  (Read 460 times)
Fishbones78 (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2016, 07:22:47 PM

Hi,
So I had an auction for an account and a newbie with 1 post won. The user did not pay for a while (over 24 hours after auction end) and I forgot to notify them that I had sold to the next bidder down. The user paid their 0.02 BTC to me after becoming active again. I have sent them a message saying I would be happy to refund them but I wanted to confirm the address they would like the funds sent to (as a precaution if the address I received the funds from was a payout address). The user has not replied and it has been a few days now. I am slightly concerned the user may become active again and call me out as a scammer for stealing their BTC - resulting in me being hammered with negative feedback and having to create a new account.

The TX for the funds sent to me is: https://blockchain.info/tx/103fe033c22cac3d18f7c5d971437be36ac616271dd2aa56efcbe18fd99177b4
The thread where the auction was: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1426146
The user was: FUNDB

I can provide screenshots of my messages to them if requested, but I could easily edit any message to say what I like in a screenshot using inspect element. I hope this is sufficient evidence to show I am not trying to steal his money, I have tried contacting them for a refund but I have had no reply. There are also no other contact details on the account.

I honestly do want to return the funds, but I can't until they contact me!

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 7978

View Profile
April 09, 2016, 07:29:22 PM

Hi,
So I had an auction for an account and a newbie with 1 post won. The user did not pay for a while (over 24 hours after auction end) and I forgot to notify them that I had sold to the next bidder down. The user paid their 0.02 BTC to me after becoming active again. I have sent them a message saying I would be happy to refund them but I wanted to confirm the address they would like the funds sent to (as a precaution if the address I received the funds from was a payout address). The user has not replied and it has been a few days now. I am slightly concerned the user may become active again and call me out as a scammer for stealing their BTC - resulting in me being hammered with negative feedback and having to create a new account.

The TX for the funds sent to me is: https://blockchain.info/tx/103fe033c22cac3d18f7c5d971437be36ac616271dd2aa56efcbe18fd99177b4
The thread where the auction was: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1426146

I can provide screenshots of my messages to them if requested, but I could easily edit any message to say what I like in a screenshot using inspect element. I hope this is sufficient evidence to show I am not trying to steal his money, I have tried contacting them for a refund but I have had no reply. There are also no other contact details on the account.

Thanks

Can't you send the funds back to the address that FUNDB used?

1D1oJGAHr2mU7YBjPAU1y1bKv9NxMzcHVT  <--- most used
18mCcGrzqcpvbRuDNenGYdoyydd4Y1BBdM

Fishbones78 (OP)

Activity: 462

View Profile
April 09, 2016, 07:36:32 PM

Hi,

Thanks

Can't you send the funds back to the address that FUNDB used?

1D1oJGAHr2mU7YBjPAU1y1bKv9NxMzcHVT  <--- most used
18mCcGrzqcpvbRuDNenGYdoyydd4Y1BBdM

Well yes, but as I said I don't want to send them to a payout address from a gambling site or something of that sort - and have it cost me. If it is that kind of address, I will have to repay him again and it will cost me 0.04 BTC in total to refund him. I'm not particularly willing to take the risk and that is why this problem has revealed itself. I want him to have his money, but I can't afford to send it to an address I THINK is correct.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Fortify
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1176

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 10:43:43 AM

It is a weird scenario, but all you can do is wait for them to contact you - I doubt their first course of action will be to negative rep you. You don't know their situation really and the amount they sent might be peanuts to them that they are able to forget about it. If you've sent them PM's with all this detail then they have to make the next move as yes, don't send to any unconfirmed address. I don't know how the trust system works exactly but a red mark from a newbie shouldn't have too much impact.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Pulithey1986

Activity: 755

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 11:58:31 AM

simply wait for the buyer to come back online, you have nothing to loose by waiting a few days for him to come online and then issue a refund to the address he provides.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: