Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:55:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC clients: Electrum, does it matter what server I choose? Purpose of server?  (Read 1092 times)
skeeterskeeter (OP)

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 09:36:11 PM

I have downloaded Electrum after some debate about which wallet client I would like. I understand that people host servers that contain the block chain info which Electrum can poll so it does not have to download the entire block chain.

This means that the server I choose could potentially just sent me crap info (supposing it is the only node I have ever gotten to see in the entire BTC network) and I would do crap transactions for however long I went without checking another node.
  • So how can I trust the server(s) I connect/am connected too?
          - Verify the block chain info every so often, in the meantime just agree with them.
  • How can I verify their block chain information is up to date as it can be with the closest nodes to me?
          - Download the blockchain info from somewhere/one I trust and verify my current version from Electrum server.

... But surely Electrum has these features?

Other than that for Electrum settings once I find a server I think I like
  • How do I know what connection protocol and port to use (with the server name I've selected)?
          - Unless the server specifies go with the default?
  • Why would I want to use a proxy?
          - To connect to someones server anonymously? (If so would a Tor proxy be choice for anonymity; would it be slow?)
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2013, 12:23:17 AM

Electrum servers status http://electrum.be (still a work in progress)

Electrum clients verify the info received from servers using SPV

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: