Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:49:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ad-blocking dilemma is solved by cryptocurrency.  (Read 1277 times)
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 257

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 03:01:41 AM

That was a thought provoking article, thanks! I agree with much of that analysis for small amounts as he suggested, but for larger amounts I'm not sure. I think we can break tipping into two groups - passive tipping, where you tip someone for content they already produced like a blog, and interactive tipping, where you tip someone for a response they give you. I think the 2nd type has much more potential to generate meaningful income

@TPTB, you for example, could open a Q&A thread for tech & other advice. An answer that takes you a few minutes to write *might* be worth thousands to the questioner. That type of thing would probably fall under 'tipping' but it's different to a fractional penny, and if it was easier to do it might take off.

Problem is that maybe only the person who asks tips you and the rest just decide you've already been paid. The problem with that model is opportunity cost. I am not going to waste my time for $10 per Q&A answer, because my opportunity cost is potentially $millions (for myself, and $billions for society) and I answer for other reasons that pertain to me attaining that $millions goal.

The tipping idea may work as a replacement for an up vote for site such as StackOverflow (StackExchange) where there is ongoing competition to see who can receive the highest ranking. Here you are competing not for the money but for the reputation, which makes it worth while.

I'm assuming you'd get other benefits from the Q&A, but there is an opportunity cost for you, and some free-riding from other readers. What I'm suggesting has a vibe closer to what a busking musician does. They're doing something for 'free' in public because they enjoy doing it, but getting paid is one of the goals. A good busker can make a living from it, and most are OK with some people not paying, but if nobody ever paid they'd probably do it far less, but still do it sometimes for the enjoyment factor and skill development.

Again I repeat my prior disagreement. Musicians create music because they are habitually creative and express themselves through their art. They typically continue even when they must work a day job to support their unprofitable music.

"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
boomboom

Activity: 1068
Merit: 523

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 08:56:01 AM

That was a thought provoking article, thanks! I agree with much of that analysis for small amounts as he suggested, but for larger amounts I'm not sure. I think we can break tipping into two groups - passive tipping, where you tip someone for content they already produced like a blog, and interactive tipping, where you tip someone for a response they give you. I think the 2nd type has much more potential to generate meaningful income

@TPTB, you for example, could open a Q&A thread for tech & other advice. An answer that takes you a few minutes to write *might* be worth thousands to the questioner. That type of thing would probably fall under 'tipping' but it's different to a fractional penny, and if it was easier to do it might take off.

Problem is that maybe only the person who asks tips you and the rest just decide you've already been paid. The problem with that model is opportunity cost. I am not going to waste my time for $10 per Q&A answer, because my opportunity cost is potentially $millions (for myself, and $billions for society) and I answer for other reasons that pertain to me attaining that $millions goal.

The tipping idea may work as a replacement for an up vote for site such as StackOverflow (StackExchange) where there is ongoing competition to see who can receive the highest ranking. Here you are competing not for the money but for the reputation, which makes it worth while.

I'm assuming you'd get other benefits from the Q&A, but there is an opportunity cost for you, and some free-riding from other readers. What I'm suggesting has a vibe closer to what a busking musician does. They're doing something for 'free' in public because they enjoy doing it, but getting paid is one of the goals. A good busker can make a living from it, and most are OK with some people not paying, but if nobody ever paid they'd probably do it far less, but still do it sometimes for the enjoyment factor and skill development.

Again I repeat my prior disagreement. Musicians create music because they are habitually creative and express themselves through their art. They typically continue even when they must work a day job to support their unprofitable music.

I agree 100% with your statement above. I'm a musician, and I've hit the sweet spot busking before many times. I'm not disagreeing with you. Busking is different to tipping, and I can see someone playing music has different motivation to a blogger or someone with knowledge and skills worth sharing.

Very few musicians I know of think this when they're playing for for free

The problem with that model is opportunity cost. I am not going to waste my time for $10 per Q&A answer, because my opportunity cost is potentially $millions (for myself, and $billions for society) and I answer for other reasons that pertain to me attaining that $millions goal

they just want to be heard mostly and blow a creative load. Most musician want an 'audience', even if they're not paying, so there is an exchange of content for 'attention'. I can see this is not applicable everywhere, but with some other 'skills'  it might be. Some people just want to be heard, and if over time their 'tips' reach a certain level, they don't mind freeloaders.

edit: with busking everyone who pays attention to you gives you 'something', maybe that's the difference
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 09:47:02 AM

Busking is different to tipping, and I can see someone playing music has different motivation to a blogger or someone with knowledge and skills worth sharing.

[...]

they just want to be heard mostly and blow a creative load. Most musician want an 'audience', even if they're not paying, so there is an exchange of content for 'attention'. I can see this is not applicable everywhere, but with some other 'skills'  it might be. Some people just want to be heard, and if over time their 'tips' reach a certain level, they don't mind freeloaders.

edit: with busking everyone who pays attention to you gives you 'something', maybe that's the difference

From my Business Model paper on JAMBOX:

Quote from: myself
For most indie musicians, the combined upsell and pay-per-song revenue lost from reduced discovery[21] is not compensated by the impoverishing revenue sharing earned from subscriptions[22].

[21] http://www.newsweek.com/ten-indie-musicians-weigh-music-streaming-debate-355298

[22] http://pages.citebite.com/k5i1n1i6s9bch

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 12:24:51 PM

Brendan Eich better stick with his core competency of the programming language Javascript.

I see Rust ended up removing the Typestate system that Brendan was raving about, for the reasons I had stated and thus predicted.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: