Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:05:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SCAMMER: intime@techie.com - techie.com - World Media Group, LLC  (Read 14168 times)
paraipan (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2012, 09:27:32 PM
Last edit: December 15, 2012, 10:43:29 PM by paraipan

I had a customer buy a decent amount of coins with paypal on October 21-22, and open a dispute of the payment right after receiving the coins. He talked all the time from "intime@techie.com" over his iphone app. I asked him to verify his paypal email so he sent me an email from "nmerrill@yahoo.com" which I though it's ok since the payment came from the same address.

From   intime <intime@techie.com>
Date   October 21, 2012 11:34 p.m.
Channel    Email (view original message...)
Status   closed open
Assignee    Alex B. <paraipanakos@gmail.com>
hide details…
No I logged of my personal email since I am at work I could get in trouble for accessing that on company time tgats why I said just communicate with me here! Send me an invoice for the 350 Euro worth of bitcoins

Sent using the free mail.com iPhone App

In a couple of hours paypal was informing me of the dispute and how they wanted to hear my side of the story, bugger.

I lost the dispute, and still don't know the exact reason to this day, the Spanish translation reads "After reviewing, we found out this not authorized transaction is not valid. bla... bla... Case closed" Here is a screenshot of my account:

Btw, the chargeback was from "nelsbmerrill@gmail.com" and I don't understand how could that happen if I received the payment from "nmerrill@yahoo.com". I sent the coins to 157Wg1gZ16WK8AtvEQRENV75CZXUMjrr65. Don't have the coins and ~350 EUR short on my paypal account, damn  Undecided

I managed to gather some info taking as starting point the techie.com email.

http://techie.com/techie-staff
Details
Category: Techie Staff
Published on Monday, 15 October 2012 15:47
By Administrator
Hits: 179

Company Description
http://techie.com/about/welcome-to-the-future-about-page-at-techiecom

techie.com is a C Corporation owned and operated by Ugly Dog Media, Inc. and World Media Group, LLC, both having the knowledge, expertise, vision, and resources to produce a high-quality and innovative technology driven website. techie.com is located at 701 S. Main St, Suite 200, South Bend, IN 46601...

WHOIS - techie.com
+1.574.344.2056

Registrant:
      World Media Group, LLC
      ATTN Domain Inquiries
      90 Washington Valley Rd., #1128
      Bedminster, NJ 07921
      US
      Phone: +1.9089030200
      Email:

Registrar Name....: Register.com
   Registrar Whois...: whois.register.comWorld Media Group, LLC
   Registrar Homepage: www.register.com

Domain Name: techie.com
      Created on..............: 1996-10-31
      Expires on..............: 2020-10-30

Administrative Contact:
      World Media Group, LLC
      ATTN Domain Inquiries
      Bedminster, NJ 07921
      US
      Email:

Technical  Contact:
      World Media Group, LLC
      ATTN Domain Inquiries
      Bedminster, NJ 07921
      US
      Email:

DNS Servers:
      pdns3.ultradns.org
      pdns2.ultradns.net
      pdns1.ultradns.net
      pdns4.ultradns.org

Stuff that came up in the searches:

Facebook account - http://www.facebook.com/UglyDogMedia

Is twittersupport@techie.com twitters actual support email or is it a scam?
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111102165148AAbS2rz

World Media Group, LLC
usa.com india.com email.com asia.com rapidfax.com faq.com world.com calendar.com iname.com europe.com easylink.com lawyer.com singapore.com doctor.com rome.com dr.com post.com thegame.com revenue.com faxsav.com berlin.com engineer.com groupmail.com
http://www.who.is/website-information/techie.com

World Media Group Criminals
Their paypal id onlinesales@dr.com
http://www.dnforum.com/f26/world-media-group-criminals-thread-400645.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think I will recover my money or bitcoins back, but I only hope this serves as a lesson for others as well.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 10:41:42 PM

Both emails are registered to:

nels Merrill

VERIFIED PREMIER Account: PB6A9KGQ3JNNJ

nmerrill@yahoo.com

nelsbmerrill@gmail.com

If you can locate any local contact info let me know. I'll pay him a visit.
paraipan (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2012, 11:04:22 PM

I would really like to know that info. The only thing I can get is the same as you BCB, the account is Verified

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
paraipan (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2012, 06:11:37 PM

Browsing the web I just found another scam purported by World Media Group, LLC, the owner of post.com

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3591725

UPS UKASH UKCASH Gumtree Scam and scams in general

Apologies if this has been posted many times before, but I had a search for this scam yesterday and found no results, and searched today and found an one (from this site) so I thought I would amalgamate all the points into one thread.

After contacting a seller from either Gumtree or whatever site you use, receive an email from that seller telling you that they are going to give you the item you wanted, and that they will provide for its delivery via a UPS business delivery.

Once you confirm that you want the item, you will receive two emails from "UPS United Kingdom", one of which confirms your details along with the shipping payment paid by the seller and is full of very convincing business stuff such as guarantees and shipping rules. The other will be from a person "in charge" of your delivery, and will request you to pay the value of your goods to UPS via UKASH using Paypoint, Payzone or ePay method, and send the 19 digit number to them for the shipment to be sent.

The seller will then email you saying that she (it tends to be a woman who may mention that she is a busy fashion designer) thought you would be able to pay at the door, and that you will be able to inspect the package before you pay, but either way you will have the option of rejecting the package and the driver will give you your money back.

I understand from the experiences of others that after you hand over the 19 digit number, the seller will either thank you or not make any form of contact whatsoever. No tracking number will be provided. No one will answer the phone number at the bottom of the UPS email you received. No one will respond to your faxes, though in all honesty nobody uses fax these days anyway. The payment will be lost and the money untraceable. You will be very upset, and feel foolish.

At all times the seller appears to respond within good time, and messages are not automatic.

Now if you have been caught up in this scam, don't go too hard on yourself as it is very convincing. However there are some tell-tale signs and tips which you can use to avoid such scams in the future:
If the seller links their sale to a courier of some sort, verify this with the courier themselves. Go on their website (without using a link in an email) and call their customer services. Speak to a person and tell them about what the seller is asking, and what the email purporting to be from them is asking for. They will tell you if this is part of their standard procedure or not, and will confirm whether from their side it appears to be a scam.
Unusual payment methods scream scam. I personally have never even heard of UKASH (or UK CASH) before yesterday, so instantly a red flag went up on the payment. Give it a Google to see what information you can find on the payment method, and if it is rife with scams (like UKASH actually is) then either request another payment method or simply move on.
Check the emails. Couriers on the scale of UPS or EMS or DHL etc have their own websites and send emails to customers via that domain e.g. info@ups .com. Ignore the name on the email address and look at the email address itself. If it is not the courier's official website it is 100% fake, no question. The email I received from "UPS" was from "ups.package.inspection@post.com". The person clearly purchased the domain "post.com" and used it for the scam.
Big companies use safe methods of payment. No self-respecting large scale company like UPS (which is listed on the New York Stock Exchange) will only ever invoice you, or request payment via Paypal (though Paypal is far less common and should still raise a red flag). These types of payment are usually more easily traceable, and so avoided by scammers and the like.
Pay attention to the little clues. These are inconsistencies in the stories the seller is making with their story. I asked this "fashion designer" if she was able to make trench coat belts (as I needed one) and she said she couldn't make one as she only does women's dresses for special occasions. So you can make fancy dresses but are unable to put a buckle on a strip of fabric? Additionally how exactly would the driver be able to refund you the money you paid via UKASH? Do they drive around in their thousand pounds vans, carrying thousands of pounds worth of goods, carrying thousands of pounds? Risk assessment for such a company would be ridiculous.
If its too good to be true it probably is. In my opinion the only perfect thing on the planet is fresh sliced bread, and even then it might not be perfect for someone with a gluten allergy. A great deal on an item (mine was a £380 13 inch macbook pro) with free 24 hour shipping, with the ability to reject the parcel and get a refund is sadly too good to be true and should be looked at with scepticism.
Google it. If you're suspicious, there's no harm in Googling a few things to verify it.

Hopefully this should be of use to some, and any other tips on how to avoid scams would be appreciated.

And here are the two addresses used to contact me, please note that the person's name was "Anne" though it has also been reported that she may use the name "Jessica" instead:
annesigns@gmail.com
ups.package.inspection@post.com

S3cco

Activity: 2035
Merit: 528

❤ Bitcoin Garden

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2016, 10:18:13 PM

Sorry for resurrecting an old topic, but wanted to let you know that this scammer is still around:

http://bitcoingarden.tk/forum/index.php?topic=9217.0

Important: Do not trust any message coming from domain techie.com

Hacker, Pirate, Milf Hunter, Owner of Bitcoin Garden
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: