Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:51:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get a Private key from a B‎IP32 Extended Private Key  (Read 3696 times)
Chris! (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1382
Merit: 1122

View Profile
April 21, 2016, 06:39:04 PM

I'm trying to export private keys from Coinomi. I had emailed their support asking if there was a way to find my private key and got this response:

Hello Chris,

Sorry if we miss the thread in Bitcointalk, the support email is the fastest way to contact us.

You can derive all your private keys using this tool and your recovery phrase. Additionally set the External / Internal field to 1 to get all the change addresses.

Notice that it is not recommended to share the keys with third parties due to the way BIP32 works. Also if you import the keys to the Bitcoin core wallet and make transactions from there, the Bitcoin core will use change addresses that are not derived from the recovery phrase and thus you would need to backup the wallet.dat file.

Sincerely,

Coinomi support

I don't have access to a computer regularly, so I don't run Bitcoin Core. That's why I was just looking for the private keys. Is it possible to get the private key for each address in an HD address?

I used the tool they gave me but it came out with a B‎IP32 Extended Private Key and a Root Key, both starting with 'xprv'. Is there any way to get the normal private keys out of this?

Thanks, I know it's a lot of newbie questions.
Alaki

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 03:40:33 AM

I used the tool they gave me but it came out with a B‎IP32 Extended Private Key and a Root Key, both starting with 'xprv'. Is there any way to get the normal private keys out of this?

Yep, go to -> bip32.org & change the button at the top of the page to "BIP32 Key" and paste in the key to the BIP32 extended key field. Now copy the "Key" in the Key Info section. This'll be your private key. Simple as that!.
racezefi

Activity: 80
Merit: 14

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 09:11:43 AM

Yes, you can get the private keys that hold addresses with unspent outputs from an xprv.

The thing is that what they said is true, things can get messy if you use core.
I'd recommend you importing the root private key to Electrum or another wallet that can work with this.
There are tools if you want to manually derive, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Chris! (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 01:25:33 PM

Yep, go to -> bip32.org & change the button at the top of the page to "BIP32 Key" and paste in the key to the BIP32 extended key field. Now copy the "Key" in the Key Info section. This'll be your private key. Simple as that!.

The only problem I'm having with that is that the address that shows up is completely new to me. It's an HD address but when I import it into mycelium I can't see any address history (I guess because nothing was done from this address Huh).

This new bitcoin address seems to be generated from the private key I provided but I can't find the old addresses used within this HD wallet.

I'm so confused! Can I only import 1 key at a time? If so, how do I choose which specific address I import?
Chris! (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2016, 07:50:06 PM

I tried importing this and it didn't seem to be the original address from the HD account. How does this work exactly? I used maybe 7 addresses or so, how can I get the private key for each individual address? Is that even possible?
Chris! (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 08:12:35 PM

Urrghh! Still no luck on this.

Here's what's shown:

Code:
Derive From
  Your passphrase is hashed using 50,000 rounds of HMAC-SHA256
Passphrase
Show Passphrase

BIP32 Extended Key
Key Info
Bitcoin Master Private Key

Version
Depth
Parent Fingerprint
Child Index
Chain Code
Key
Derivation Path
Account (k)
Derived Private Key
Private Key (WIF)
Derived Public Key
Public Key (Hex)
Address
Address QR Code

What would I need to fill in to get a certain address's private key? Is this even possible or am I wasting a lot of time and effot on this like a total noob Wink?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: