Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:21:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Washington D.C. to Deploy Giant Defense Blimps. A little fearful aren't we?  (Read 5303 times)
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 08:17:10 PM

How long until this happens....... again?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F54rqDh2mWA
Very long. Helium does not burn.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 08:17:56 PM

I wonder how hard it would be for a terrorist to hit the blimp with a laser and take out the ordinance?
Hitting it at 10000 feet with a laser?
You would need a very big laser to do any damage.
Maybe then painting it with a laser and using a guided rocket. It just seems too easy to knock down such a high priced boondoggle.

It might also get a good read on who did it.  If you have a rocket that can go 10,000 feet and destroy the blimp you can do a lot more damage against other targets then the blimp itself.  Nobody is going to shoot at it. 

I don't know, it just seems too big and easy a target. We spend so much on such expensive weapons that can be defeated with cheap technology and ingenuity. Don't get me wrong. I love balloons and dirigibles. I just hope we start making cool floating things for peaceful purposes before we run out of helium.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2013, 08:34:32 PM

I wonder how hard it would be for a terrorist to hit the blimp with a laser and take out the ordinance?
Maybe then painting it with a laser and using a guided rocket. It just seems too easy to knock down such a high priced boondoggle.

It might also get a good read on who did it.  If you have a rocket that can go 10,000 feet and destroy the blimp you can do a lot more damage against other targets then the blimp itself.  Nobody is going to shoot at it.  

What about buying a really high watt microwave, rigging it to work with the door open, wigging a focusing dish around it, and pointing it at the blimp? I think that may at least add a crapton of noise to their radar systems. Do it enough times without any follow-up attacks, in a sense like the boy who cried wolf (or like the boomerang in the movie "How to Steal a Million"), and they may end up thinking it's too much of a pain in the ass to keep going with.

On the other hand, North Korea is claiming to have nukes, and I DO live within DC's blast radius...
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2013, 10:45:23 PM

It might also get a good read on who did it.  If you have a rocket that can go 10,000 feet and destroy the blimp you can do a lot more damage against other targets then the blimp itself.  Nobody is going to shoot at it.  

What about buying a really high watt microwave, rigging it to work with the door open, wigging a focusing dish around it, and pointing it at the blimp? I think that may at least add a crapton of noise to their radar systems. Do it enough times without any follow-up attacks, in a sense like the boy who cried wolf (or like the boomerang in the movie "How to Steal a Million"), and they may end up thinking it's too much of a pain in the ass to keep going with.

On the other hand, North Korea is claiming to have nukes, and I DO live within DC's blast radius...

You would be tracked pretty quickly!  And all of your neighbors would drop their wifi connections.  Smiley

tiberiandusk

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2013, 12:25:10 AM

So I guess we are the other universe then ?

Obviously, that's why shit is so fucked up.

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 12:52:47 AM

Is this what's next?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 12:45:12 PM

I know that if I was trillions in debt I would be buying 1/2 billion dollar blimps!

They would be better off flying a fighter CONSTANTLY vs this blimp if it is really 500 million.

First of all they have the fighter and the pilots and they could get some training/flight time out of it.  Second, the response time would be much better with a fighter in the air.  The blimp might let us know something is coming but the fighter can both do the same job and potentially kill the target. 

I am sure they can sell the blimp claiming it has some detection edge, but the main thing is getting a radar in the air up high, and the radars on modern fighters are quite good. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-22_Raptor#Avionics

Fighter jets are loud, expensive, and need to be refueled. Its expensive to refuel them.

Blimps can just chill.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2013, 01:06:47 PM

Until they explode in a fireball because of something sparking and setting off the gas that is keeping them there, it's a really fucking stupid idea, even for America.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 03:26:59 PM

Until they explode in a fireball because of something sparking and setting off the gas that is keeping them there, it's a really fucking stupid idea, even for America.
Helium.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 08:35:59 PM

Blimps were used in WW2 and extremely successful.
WW2 has garbage technology compared to today, I feel like the kinks will be gone.

Its not as stupid as you think..
Schleicher

Activity: 675
Merit: 513

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 08:54:46 PM

The alternative would be something like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raytheon_Sentinel
or this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_E-3_Sentry
I don't know if any of these can fly in bad weather.

Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 04:55:20 AM

I know that if I was trillions in debt I would be buying 1/2 billion dollar blimps!

They would be better off flying a fighter CONSTANTLY vs this blimp if it is really 500 million.

First of all they have the fighter and the pilots and they could get some training/flight time out of it.  Second, the response time would be much better with a fighter in the air.  The blimp might let us know something is coming but the fighter can both do the same job and potentially kill the target. 

I am sure they can sell the blimp claiming it has some detection edge, but the main thing is getting a radar in the air up high, and the radars on modern fighters are quite good. 

Fighter jets are loud, expensive, and need to be refueled. Its expensive to refuel them.

Blimps can just chill.

Agreed but...

You already have the jets. 

So which is better, $1,000,000,000 for two blimps or jet fuel.  Even if you need LOTS of jet fuel for a BILLION dollars. And the blimps still leave you just a few more moments of notice against a cruise missile, while a jet in the air could actually destroy the cruise missile in time.  A jet sitting on the ground will not make it in the air in time. 

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 05:16:38 AM

Don't forget, the blimps aren't just blimps, they are basically R&D (research and development) for future blimp tech. Money may be well spent.
Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 06:01:42 AM

Blimps can just chill.

Agreed but...

You already have the jets. 

So which is better, $1,000,000,000 for two blimps or jet fuel.  Even if you need LOTS of jet fuel for a BILLION dollars. And the blimps still leave you just a few more moments of notice against a cruise missile, while a jet in the air could actually destroy the cruise missile in time.  A jet sitting on the ground will not make it in the air in time. 

The pair is just under 1/2 billion, according to the link in the OP.

Your right, but does not negate my point.  The price tag for the blimps is $450,000,000.

An F22 uses 4000lbs of fuel an hour or about 5,840,000 gallons a year.  At $6 a gallon it is still under $36 million. 

Having the F22 in the air is a great advantage if you are react quickly. 

Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2013, 03:38:17 PM

Then they can use the energy to kill people with high powered laser beams (seems its only stuff like that gets research budgets these days :/ )

They tried that in "Real Genius":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG3g8Saea5E

tiberiandusk

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2013, 12:40:49 AM

The Navy has a blimp tethered over Key West, FL to keep an eye on Cuba and to broadcast Radio Free Cuba.

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
sounds

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

1221iZanNi5igK7oAA7AWmYjpsyjsRbLLZ

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 05:40:32 PM

This! The Key West Blimp is probably more of the platform they're thinking of.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 01:50:54 PM

if these things deploy drones, which they probably will. What we are basically talking about here are carriers from starcraft.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 03:41:05 PM

if these things deploy drones, which they probably will. What we are basically talking about here are carriers from starcraft.

And that would be really frigin cool.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: