Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:45:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: RUN YOUR OWN BITCOIN GEM  (Read 8746 times)
anzy (OP)

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

I like helping people

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 03:07:14 PM
Last edit: April 04, 2013, 05:13:30 AM by anzy

Howdy there!

We've just finished developing our first (of many to come) Bitcoin WordPress plugin. This particular one was inspired by the original Bitcoin Gem script.

Demo

To see what it does instead of reading the description, view a demo here:

http://bc4wp.com/bitcoin-chain-demo/

Concept

The idea is pretty simple - visitors on your site purchase your designated Game Object (in the demo, we use a ruby) for a particular price, hoping someone buys it again after them to make a profit. At a random interval (or if no purchases happen within a timeframe), a purchase will trigger a reset and the Game Object will go back to it’s starting point.

The unfortunate soul who’s purchase triggered the reset (all publically verifiably random with math) won’t own the Game Object anymore, so whatever they paid goes to you as the site owner to keep.

This plugin is fully documented with a convenient startup wizard, and allows for near infinite customization of how you want to run your chain game. Rather than continue to write on and on about what it can do and how it’s amazing, I’ll just post screenshots for your viewing pleasure.

Screenshots

General & Setup Wizard:
http://bc4wp.s3.amazonaws.com/chain-game/screenshots/plugin_overview_and_setup_wizard.png

Chain Stages:
http://bc4wp.s3.amazonaws.com/chain-game/screenshots/chain_stages.png

Players:
http://bc4wp.s3.amazonaws.com/chain-game/screenshots/players_of_the_game.png

Purchases:
http://bc4wp.s3.amazonaws.com/chain-game/screenshots/purchase_pending_confirmation.png

Settings:
http://bc4wp.s3.amazonaws.com/chain-game/screenshots/settings_1.png
http://bc4wp.s3.amazonaws.com/chain-game/screenshots/settings_2.png
http://bc4wp.s3.amazonaws.com/chain-game/screenshots/settings_3.png

How/where to buy

To purchase this plugin, visit our site at http://bc4wp.com and add it to your cart. We use a shopping cart with Bitcoin support, registered accounts, and access keys to use inside the plugin to unlock it.

All purchased licenses can be used on an infinite number of sites.

The Price

Obviously this software is best kept in as few hands as possible, and as it’s nature is of a money-generating sort, we've priced it as follows:

first 5 people: 35 BTC 10 BTC (only 2 left now) sold out
standard price: 65 BTC 25 BTC 7 BTC

Here's a 4 BTC discount link, due to the recent price surges: http://bc4wp.com/plugin/zWnnR8D0Ufasdf342BAz

If you have questions, concerns, whatever - either post here or on our site's contact form. Enjoy!

FAQs

Does the plugin run on your own site, or hosted by bc4wp.com

The wordpress plugins we make are just that - plugins to be used inside of your own WordPress site installation. That means you can install this plugin like any normal WordPress plugin and have it work on your own remote site, completely separate from bc4wp.com's domain.

What is included in the purchase?

Other than the plugin files themselves, lifetime support of the plugin as well as updates to it are included.

Also included in the purchase is an infinite-domain license, so you can install it on as many sites as you'd like.

Can I add features to it if I want?

Technically yes, however it's best if you communicate those to us so we can implement them as options for you in newer versions. If you do custom edits to the plugin, any time we push an update it will overwrite any customizations you've made.

The theme of the public game page however can be completely themed and customized to your liking and won't be changed by any updates we push.

What is needed to get a site up and running with this plugin?

To make use of the WordPress plugin, you must first have a site running on WordPress.

There are several tutorials to do this, but in a nutshell you a) buy hosting (generally shared hosting like hostmonster/hostgator), b) upload wordpress files or use hosting company's provided 1-click install, c) add the bc4wp.com Bitcoin Chain plugin to your site either by the standard ftp method or the simpler provided "Add New" option in the plugin section of your wp-admin area.

What do I have to do to setup a wallet for this?

The easiest way is to make yourself a wallet at http://blockchain.info/ since the plugin uses their apis to handle the purchases, payments, and reset verification. While it's not neccessary to have a wallet hosted there, it's easier when it comes to the payout settings.

For the payout settings (screenshot above) you can either use your blockchain.info account credentials or provide the private hash of a non-blockchain.info wallet. The nitty gritty details can be found here of how that works: http://blockchain.info/api/blockchain_wallet_api

Do I have to run BitcoinID on my server?

Negative! I had thought about doing something like that, but it would be an unnecessary hassle. To keep the plugin as upload-n'-use friendly as possible, we use the blockchain.info api to handle the behind-the-scenes calls and data receivers.

Their api is very fast and allows us to make use of their own BitcoinID process (if that's what they use? not sure.).

How does the site owner profit from this?

1. Reset Odds

This is the most common way the site owner profits. As the chain gets higher and higher, the price naturally increases (by whatever % you set). Every so often - again at a % you can set - a purchase will trigger a reset of the chain, causing them to lose ownership of the Game Object.

Since they no longer own it, the next person to purchase it (now that it's reset to the starting price - configurable), the system never has to pay the person who triggered the reset since they don't own it any longer. In essence that means the buy price of whoever resets the Game Object is your profit.

2. Purchase Delay

The other way the site owner profits is when the elapsed time since the previous purchase has expired due to no new purchases. This timeframe is configurable and acts the same way as a reset.

I like building things

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2013, 06:56:04 AM

If you have questions, concerns, whatever - either post here or on our site's contact form. Enjoy!

Pretty interesting concept. How does the site owner derive any revenue from this? Does not seem to be addressed in the FAQ.

anzy (OP)

I like helping people

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 07:03:06 AM

Howdy sunnankar!

As the site owner, you're able to specify 2 particular settings that determine how often / likely the site owner gets paid (both of which can be seen in the settings screenshots above).

1. Reset Odds

This is the most common way the site owner profits. As the chain gets higher and higher, the price naturally increases (by whatever % you set). Every so often - again at a % you can set - a purchase will trigger a reset of the chain, causing them to lose ownership of the Game Object.

Since they no longer own it, the next person to purchase it (now that it's reset to the starting price - configurable), the system never has to pay the person who triggered the reset since they don't own it any longer. In essence that means the buy price of whoever resets the Game Object is your profit.

2. Purchase Delay

The other way the site owner profits is when the elapsed time since the previous purchase has expired due to no new purchases. This timeframe is configurable and acts the same way as a reset.

Hope that answered your question(s)!

I like building things
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2013, 07:18:59 AM

I think the underlying concept has a ton of potential.

For example, on the website then a content owner could have certain ad spaces for gifs or jpgs of specified sizes and destination URLs. Then advertisers could outbid each other to 'own' the space for a certain amount of time or until they are outbid. This would automate one's ad selling and introduce and auction component.

I think there needs to be a little more certainty for the advertisers as to what the cost and potential ROI will be along with terms; like expiration period, etc. If terms are well defined and the long-tail losses are eliminated then it has the potential to automatically optimize the advertising revenue. Of course, content owners would need to have the option of 'canceling' or 'approving' particular purchases (get adult, gambling, etc. type jpgs off their site if they want).

If the plugin were free, perhaps it directs a % of each purchase to a particular address?, then it could be pretty widely adopted.

anzy (OP)

I like helping people

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 06:14:31 AM

Excellent suggestions! I hadn't though of taking it in that direction, but it definitely sounds interesting. : D

I like building things
anzy (OP)

I like helping people

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 06:53:03 AM

FAQ's added and updated with some questions & answers.

I like building things
velacreations

Activity: 476

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 04:11:57 PM

This is interesting.  Have you sold many copies?

anzy (OP)

I like helping people

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 04:17:41 PM

Updated OP with 3 more helpful questions and answers. If anybody has any, feel free to ask and I'll give the best answers I can : )

To BitBears: while we haven't sold any copies to the folks here at bitcointalk.org (that I know of), we've allowed a few others to help test it for us with excellent results. The community here is really great, but extremely (yet understandably) skeptical.

I like building things
AunOMau

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2013, 06:50:30 PM
Last edit: February 19, 2013, 08:56:48 PM by AunOMau

Review:  BITCOIN CHAIN WORDPRESS PLUG-IN

The overall simplicity and design of the  bc4wp's Bitcoin Chain Plug-in is very well written.  The concept of the WordPress plug-in is similiar to other designs on other websites; however,  this was much easier to use because of the built-in instructions. The built-in help of the bc4wp's Bitcoin Chain plug-in is very unique and was done in an easy step-by-step process for someone just beginning WordPress.  The overall process easily moves you from step to step.  If you get stuck, all you have to do is go back to the built in help and review what steps you have missed using the check-off boxes.  The best instructions ever!!  The plug-in works exactly as advertised.

The sign-up procedure and the purchase of the plug-in was smooth and hassle-free.  The purchasing process was fast and efficient.  Registration was very easy with no problems.  The product was sent to me in a timely fashion.

John personally kept in contact with me for several days to make sure everything was working properly.  Because I was new to WordPress and how to use it, I asked John for his expertise in this area.  John took his personal time to help me correct my mistakes and to make a custom layout for my website.  John personally helped me to make sure that my website was up and running 100% and with no problems/issues. I am looking forward to working with and using John's products in the future and I would recommend the use of John's products to any of my friends/collegues.

--AunOMau
--RasPI

http://theorb.biz
anzy (OP)

I like helping people

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 06:58:24 PM

Review:  BITCOIN CHAIN WORDPRESS PLUG-IN

The overall simplicity and design of the  bc4wp's Bitcoin Chain Plug-in is very well written.  The concept of the WordPress plug-in is similiar to other designs on other websites; however,  this was much easier to use because of the built-in instructions. The built-in help of the bc4wp's Bitcoin Chain plug-in is very unique and was done in an easy step-by-step process for someone just beginning WordPress.  The overall process easily moves you from step to step.  If you get stuck, all you have to do is go back to the built in help and review what steps you have missed using the check-off boxes.  The best instructions ever!!  The plug-in works exactly as advertised.

The sign-up procedure and the purchase of the plug-in was smooth and hassle-free.  The purchasing process was fast and efficient.  Registration was very easy with no problems.  The product was sent to me in a timely fashion.

John personally kept in contact with me for several days to make sure everything was working properly.  Because I was new to WordPress and how to use it, I asked John for his expertise in this area.  John took his personal time to help me correct my mistakes and to make a custom layout for my website.  John personally helped me to make sure that my website was up and running 100% and with no problems/issues. I am looking forward to working with and using John's products in the future and I would recommend the use of John' products to any of my friends/collegues.

--AunOMau
--RasPI

Thanks for the review : )

I like building things
anzy (OP)

I like helping people

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 03:42:00 PM

Available licenses at the discount rate have been updated in the OP. Only 2 left at this point, so if you're waiting to get it - now's your chance. If you have questions or concerns, feel free to post em!

I like building things
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 05:19:46 PM

This nonsense just won't die, will it.

PEOPLE STOP DOING THIS SORT OF CRAP.

This is not useful. This is not smart. This is not what Bitcoin is for or what Bitcoin is about. This reflects poorly on you, for having done it, on you, for pushing it, on you, for using it. Don't do it, don't push it, don't use it. IT IS STUPID.

Stop wasting your time doing things you know are stupid in the hopes they'll make you rich. They will not make you rich. It's not a matter of you having "a chance" of becoming rich though doing something stupid. There is, literally, absolutely, no chance. Anyone can do something stupid, that's what stupid means. Adding more spam on top of stupid does not improve your chances. It doesn't lower them either, seeing how they're already zero, but that's besides the point.

Do something smart with your time and energy. At least that way even if you fail you'll have something to show for it.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
velacreations

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 08:36:58 PM

This is not useful. This is not smart. This is not what Bitcoin is for or what Bitcoin is about. This reflects poorly on you, for having done it, on you, for pushing it, on you, for using it. Don't do it, don't push it, don't use it. IT IS STUPID.

Stop wasting your time doing things you know are stupid in the hopes they'll make you rich. They will not make you rich. It's not a matter of you having "a chance" of becoming rich though doing something stupid. There is, literally, absolutely, no chance. Anyone can do something stupid, that's what stupid means. Adding more spam on top of stupid does not improve your chances. It doesn't lower them either, seeing how they're already zero, but that's besides the point.

Man, get off it.  People want to do this, let them.  People want to play these games, let them.

If you don't want to play or don't want to make a site like this, then don't.

Yes, this is what bitcoin is for, too. Bitcoin is for people to do want they want to do and have a method of money transaction that supports it.  The thought that bitcoins is only "for" things that you approve of is laughable.

Quit giving us the lecture every day about how these ideas are less valid because they didn't follow your "formula for success". These sites have as much right to exist as anything.

Last time I checked, gambling was one of the biggest parts of the bitcoin economy.

Do something smart with your time and energy. At least that way even if you fail you'll have something to show for it.
You should take your own advice and just ignore things you don't approve of.  And for God's sake, hire a designer for your site.  You're making Bitcoin look bad...   Grin

*  just for the record, I am not associated with this plugin or anything

gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 09:21:19 PM

Man, get off it.  People want to do this, let them.  People want to play these games, let them.

If you don't want to play or don't want to make a site like this, then don't.

Yes, this is what bitcoin is for, too. Bitcoin is for people to do want they want to do and have a method of money transaction that supports it.  The thought that bitcoins is only "for" things that you approve of is laughable.

Quit giving us the lecture every day about how these ideas are less valid because they didn't follow your "formula for success". These sites have as much right to exist as anything.

Last time I checked, gambling was one of the biggest parts of the bitcoin economy.

You should take your own advice and just ignore things you don't approve of.  And for God's sake, hire a designer for your site.  You're making Bitcoin look bad...   Grin

*  just for the record, I am not associated with this plugin or anything

Ok thanks for hurting the bitcoin community, some people are not team players, and this is why innovation is stale and it will be the downfall of bitcoins. Are you happy now? And I never really agree with MPOE-PR but this time she is completely right it the dumbest idea, ever and just hurting us when VC's look at this community. It is so sad, that some people just want to be rogue players yet want the benefits of a community.
velacreations

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 10:18:55 PM

Ok thanks for hurting the bitcoin community, some people are not team players, and this is why innovation is stale and it will be the downfall of bitcoins. Are you happy now? And I never really agree with MPOE-PR but this time she is completely right it the dumbest idea, ever and just hurting us when VC's look at this community. It is so sad, that some people just want to be rogue players yet want the benefits of a community.

if bitcoin can be taken down by a handful of small sites like this, then it doesn't deserve to be around.

Yes, I am happy, my sites are getting traffic and business.  If it was such a dumb idea, then no one would play them.

What ever happened to the free market around here?  Now we have to consider what the gatekeepers will think before building a bitcoin site? Roll Eyes

If you don't like them, don't visit them, but don't act like they are hurting the community.  You know what hurts the community and innovation?
Ridiculous people trying to be gatekeepers of bitcoin.  Statements like you made hurt bitcoin more than anything. 

At least these sites look decent, compared to a lot of the other bitcoin sites around here.  Designs from 1996 hurt bitcoin more than these sites.

velacreations

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 10:22:04 PM

Bitcoin Gem (I have no affiliation with them) has posted stats on their operation:

So far, the gem changed hands 282 times and reset 14 times (4.96%).
Owners made a total profit of 25.268 bitcoins.

So, people playing that game have profited 25+ BTC.  I think it has been around for maybe 3 weeks.  Hardly stupid and insignificant.

wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 10:26:47 PM

Bitcoin Gem (I have no affiliation with them) has posted stats on their operation:

So far, the gem changed hands 282 times and reset 14 times (4.96%).
Owners made a total profit of 25.268 bitcoins.

So, people playing that game have profited 25+ BTC.  I think it has been around for maybe 3 weeks.  Hardly stupid and insignificant.

People playing it didn't make 25 BTC, the people running it did. At the expensive of the ones playing the game. Do you understand how a pyrmid scheme works? No new money is created? Suckers at the end make the profit for those at the bottom and the owner of the scam.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 10:29:03 PM

if bitcoin can be taken down by a handful of small sites like this, then it doesn't deserve to be around.

Yes, I am happy, my sites are getting traffic and business.  If it was such a dumb idea, then no one would play them.

What ever happened to the free market around here?  Now we have to consider what the gatekeepers will think before building a bitcoin site? Roll Eyes

If you don't like them, don't visit them, but don't act like they are hurting the community.  You know what hurts the community and innovation?
Ridiculous people trying to be gatekeepers of bitcoin.  Statements like you made hurt bitcoin more than anything.  

At least these sites look decent, compared to a lot of the other bitcoin sites around here.  Designs from 1996 hurt bitcoin more than these sites.

The first one is an innovation the second, third and fourth are not innovation your just being a talentless rip off. I am not being the gatekeeper, but if you want bitcoins to be more mainstream this is not the way to do it. I could easily create something like this probably better than any of the ones I seen, and be extra greedy, and take away profit from you, but I don't for one reason, cause when VC's start looking around here, and they see all these people just ripping each off and not trying to build up the community, they will leave this area. Also the only reason these sites look ok, they aren't descent, is cause you all using the same layout and image LMAO. I really haven't see a bad looking bitcoin site that I went to and said well "if they don't update the UI then I can't use it", cause it is about what the site does.

This is the saddest things in bitcoins cause this is exactly what holds the community back and it is people like you that will be crying like why aren't we at $30 or $40. Cause mainstream adoption doesn't want to see sites like this. Also if you think I am hurting bitcoins with my statement then you must be destroying it with your worthless, piece of shit, talentless rip off of a site, ohhh wait you are destroying it.
velacreations

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 10:36:05 PM

People playing it didn't make 25 BTC, the people running it did. At the expensive of the ones playing the game. Do you understand how a pyrmid scheme works? No new money is created? Suckers at the end make the profit for those at the bottom and the owner of the scam.
no, the owners of the Gem, ie the players made that money.  Maybe you don't know how that game is played, but each time it is purchased, the previous owner gets their money plus 10%.

The guy at the end only pays the person before him, the owners are only taking 5%.

So, anyway, people want to play it, and people are making money with it and having fun.  What is wrong with that?

velacreations

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 10:49:24 PM

The first one is an innovation the second, third and fourth are not innovation your just being a talentless rip off. I am not being the gatekeeper, but if you want bitcoins to be more mainstream this is not the way to do it. I could easily create something like this probably better than any of the ones I seen, and be extra greedy, and take away profit from you, but I don't for one reason, cause when VC's start looking around here, and they see all these people just ripping each off and not trying to build up the community, they will leave this area. Also the only reason these sites look ok, they aren't descent, is cause you all using the same layout and image LMAO. I really haven't see a bad looking bitcoin site that I went to and said well "if they don't update the UI then I can't use it", cause it is about what the site does.

This is the saddest things in bitcoins cause this is exactly what holds the community back and it is people like you that will be crying like why aren't we at $30 or $40. Cause mainstream adoption doesn't want to see sites like this. Also if you think I am hurting bitcoins with my statement then you must be destroying it with your worthless, piece of shit, talentless rip off of a site, ohhh wait you are destroying it.
well, like I said, if my one simple game is killing bitcoin, then bitcoin has no business being around. 

Seriously, do you even hear yourself?  "don't do anything to piss off the VCs!"  "don't make games people want to play" "you're hurting bitcoin"

What a bunch of BS.

I have seen a LOT of bad bitcoin sites that I do not do business with for that reason.  Good design adds credibility, and you better believe VCs look at that.

I am not crying about the value of bitcoin, just like I am not crying about what other people do with their bitcoins, and just like I am not crying about what sites people make.

I tell you what, why don't you guys spend your time making really awesome sites that people will like and use and get people interested in bitcoins.  Stop wasting your time telling other people what NOT to do.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: