Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:10:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Make-Your-Own-Country (Seasteading)? Use custom cryptos  (Read 1266 times)
cptmooseinc (OP)

Activity: 396
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 02:37:13 AM

So there's this guy named Patri Friedman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patri_Friedman) who came up with this idea called Seasteading. There was an article written about it that's a couple of months old that I just came across today (http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2012/12/17/166887292/dont-like-the-government-make-your-own-on-international-waters).

I thought it was all very interesting, and I also thought it would be a great potential platform for the use of various crypto-currency forks. Each Seastead (if they ever actually were created) could create a custom crypto-currency fork for use only on their island. All trade within the island could be done in this currency, with the citizens mining the blockchain on a private intranet accessible only from being on the platform itself. These currencies could be added to an exchange (much like BTC-e) that allow you to trade one coin for another, or that coin for a fiat-based currency. This would in effect create trade deficits. I realize that a country like the US (or other major nation) could easily try and buy up a large portion of the coin to destabilize and/or destroy the faith in the currency, but this could be considered an act of terrorism in that Seastead's constitution, to be brought to the UN in an attempt to get sanctions against the nation in violation, or all trade must be stopped with the country if nothing else.

I guess there's a million ways to look at it that could be good or bad, but I just thought it was a neat idea that definitely could benefit from the use of cryptos. Opinions?

-Moose

The Moose's Tip Jar: BTC - 1HoTm9ZqrEmD5Tvs5qAdPM311agyN3eHra
LTC - LPg9svS4dcK5Kzy6HUoef8icrnDxED3ZVA

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 08:23:00 AM

An easy way to hedge against that type of financial war would be to just distribute X amount of currency to your citizens. If they push the exchange rate up 100x, that means you can quite easily support your country importing virtually everything (which in the case of seasteading is most likely to be the case anyway) at extremely low prices to you. Needless to say, I dont think this is the route they will take.

I would love to see the project succeed, but have little faith in it doing so.

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 02:00:47 PM

Patri Friedman's idea has a huge flaw that turned me off and should turn you off as well.

The flaw is that his idea relies on hope, the hope that governments around the world wont see a seastead as something hostile to them and just flat out destroy it. It's the reason why although you'd have more freedom, the idea says that you couldn't trade or own weapons, that you would still have to follow money laundering laws, that you couldn't trade "illicit" goods, ect ect all for the purpose of not pissing of governments so they don't come and destroy it.

Well if I was ever going to make the unbelievable sacrifice and live in the middle of the ocean I damn well want the complete package of freedom otherwise it's just not worth it. And this is the reason I completely abandoned this idea.

Plus I can live in my home, where I am right now, hold my wealth in bitcoins and not give a shit about any financial or tax laws. I'm not saying that I do this (wink wink government agent reading this) but I'm saying I have that option. So I really don't know what more I'd get living on a boat in the middle of the ocean.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 03:31:16 PM

Patri Friedman's idea has a huge flaw that turned me off and should turn you off as well.

The flaw is that his idea relies on hope, the hope that governments around the world wont see a seastead as something hostile to them and just flat out destroy it.

That's one of the things I like about the Free State Project. If they ever tried to cage/arrest all the freestaters they'd have to arrest a significant portion of the state legislature as well as dozens of lesser office holders. There's over a thousand of us here already, and the migration hasn't even officially started; not to mention all the natives we've befriended. Heck, I've been here longer than anti-freestater Cynthia Chase  Grin

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 05:49:51 PM

Plus I can live in my home, where I am right now, hold my wealth in bitcoins and not give a shit about any financial or tax laws. I'm not saying that I do this (wink wink government agent reading this) but I'm saying I have that option. So I really don't know what more I'd get living on a boat in the middle of the ocean.

Seems everyone, particularly gold bugs who fret a currency collapse, are still tied to this medieval serf mentality of 'where should I go'. It is surprising how people do not seem to comprehend the idea that the idea of America has moved from North America and not to a physical location but to Cipherspace.

ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 05:56:52 PM

Seems everyone, particularly gold bugs who fret a currency collapse, are still tied to this medieval serf mentality of 'where should I go'. It is surprising how people do not seem to comprehend the idea that the idea of America has moved from North America and not to a physical location but to Cipherspace.

Good point. I've been slowly downsizing physical possessions and moving more of my "stuff" to the cloud. I also have a friend who is an avid reader, and who loves e-books because then if anyone tries to seize his possessions he can just erase them and all the value is gone.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 03:59:25 AM

The flaw is that his idea relies on hope, the hope that governments around the world wont see a seastead as something hostile to them and just flat out destroy it.

That's one of the things I like about the Free State Project. If they ever tried to cage/arrest all the freestaters they'd have to arrest a significant portion of the state legislature as well as dozens of lesser office holders. There's over a thousand of us here already, and the migration hasn't even officially started; not to mention all the natives we've befriended. Heck, I've been here longer than anti-freestater Cynthia Chase  Grin

If immigration laws werent so retarded I bet thousands of people would move there overnight from around the world.

grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 06:00:19 AM

Agreed.  Creating a new country is not just about having a territory.  It's much more about being able to defend it.

tymm0

Activity: 178
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2013, 10:26:27 PM

I'd go.  This is pretty cool and goes along with my life goal to buy an island.

Teal Technik - https://TealTechnik.com - Custom Mechanical Keyboard Parts and Accessories
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: