Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:45:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: private key to mnemotic seed wordlist (electrum compatible)  (Read 270 times)
Kryptowerk (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1401

Disobey.

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 12:36:24 PM

Hi decrypt experts,

my goal is to generate a seed for Elctrum that contains a private key that is already known.
So is there any way, if you have ONE private key, to find a seed for electrum that contains this one specific private key?

Thank you,
Kryptowerk

Get educated about Bitcoin. Check out Andreas Antonopoulos on Youtube. An old but gold talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc744Z9IjhY

Daniel Schmachtenberger on The Meta-Crisis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kBoLVvoqVY&t=288s One of the most important talks about the current state of this planet. Go check it out.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 12:40:50 PM

Hi decrypt experts,

my goal is to generate a seed for Elctrum that contains a private key that is already known.
So is there any way, if you have ONE private key, to find a seed for electrum that contains this one specific private key?

Thank you,
Kryptowerk

I don't think so, otherwise people would be able to steal your money.

Just create a new empty wallet, and TRANSACT your coins from wallet A to wallet B. Always avoid exporting private keys, seeds or anything that could compromise your money. So simply transact the coins after the fork (I assume this is due the fork) to another wallet, then export these keys, then dump segwit2x or whatever.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16654

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2017, 12:44:10 PM

You'll need a brute-force attack. With 2048 possible words, and 12 words in total, that gives roughly 5*1039 possibilities. You won't find it.
As far as I know, having 1 derived private key doesn't help you find back the word seed, it wouldn't be as secure if that would be possible.

Kryptowerk (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1401

Disobey.

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 01:30:26 PM

You'll need a brute-force attack. With 2048 possible words, and 12 words in total, that gives roughly 5*1039 possibilities. You won't find it.
As far as I know, having 1 derived private key doesn't help you find back the word seed, it wouldn't be as secure if that would be possible.

Alright, thanks guys. The reason I was asking: I have a physical bitcoin I would like to use as cold storage and it would be nice to memorize the priv key. However i realised it would be probably much easier to just momorize the seed such as used for Electrum.

Get educated about Bitcoin. Check out Andreas Antonopoulos on Youtube. An old but gold talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc744Z9IjhY

Daniel Schmachtenberger on The Meta-Crisis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kBoLVvoqVY&t=288s One of the most important talks about the current state of this planet. Go check it out.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16654

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2017, 03:13:49 PM

I have a physical bitcoin I would like to use as cold storage and it would be nice to memorize the priv key.
I assume a physical Bitcoin has a random private key, instead of derived from a seed. So this wouldn't work anyway.

salihno71

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 01:07:27 PM

However i realised it would be probably much easier to just momorize the seed such as used for Electrum.

With memorizing anything, just bare in mind one thing: life can go in unpredictable ways and there is always a possibility that you might forget a word from the seed. It's safer to keep it stored somewhere safe, preferably on more than one place.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: