Bitcoin Forum
January 20, 2020, 06:11:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 0.19.0.1 [Torrent]
 
   Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The 2016 Edition Bitcoin Penny™ Commemorative Coins  (Read 24714 times)
wttbs
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 2063
Merit: 1048



View Profile
January 20, 2019, 10:55:50 AM
Merited by minerjones (1)
 #141

Dave is aging nice  Grin


-.*.- Let's trade crypto ! NOCKS.COM -.*.- 2020 "BITCOIN" Binary Rounds are available ! Get some  .999 SILVER or .9999 GOLD and Stay Nasty -.*.-
1579500699
Hero Member
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1579500699

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
1579500699
Reply with quote  #2

1579500699
Report to moderator
1579500699
Hero Member
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1579500699

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
1579500699
Reply with quote  #2

1579500699
Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
BitcoinPenny
aka CJBianco
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1655


BitcoinPenny.com


View Profile WWW
January 21, 2019, 02:37:19 PM
Last edit: January 21, 2019, 02:50:17 PM by BitcoinPenny
Merited by minerjones (1)
 #142

Dave is aging nice  Grin



That's great, wttbs! Thanks for sharing this with us. I've always loved the way copper patinas over time!

Here are three that were sitting on my desk, including one that features a TON of beautiful deep purple!




EDIT: And another photo of the same three coins (in slightly different lighting) after rubbing the purple coin for a few seconds to mute its purplicity.




And here is one of my favorite photos from 2015. (I believe it's the same coin from above.) It features a pretty moss green with tiny hints of royal blue.




Pro Tip: You can change the colors immediately on heavily patinated copper coins by rubbing your thumb over the surface for a minute. That'll change the chocolate brown to a purple/blue, and the purple/blue to a moss green.

The coins that I carry in my pockets on a daily basis usually look like the green promo photo above, due to the frequent handling.


Regards,
Chris

BitcoinPenny.com | "When it comes to bitcoin swag, we make perfect CENTS!"
DaveF
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1015


Crypto Exchange - Secure & Anonymous


View Profile WWW
January 21, 2019, 08:50:00 PM
Merited by wttbs (1)
 #143

Dave is aging nice  Grin



My back hurts, I'm loosing my hair, and need a new prescription for my glasses.
*I* am not aging nice.
The penny is :-)

-Dave

And GET OF MY LAWN YOU DAMN KIDS.

█▀▀▀











█▄▄▄
|
▄▄█████▄▄
▄███████████▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██▀███████████▀██▄
▄█████▀███████▀█████▄
████████▀███▀████████
██████████████████
████████▄███▄████████
▀▀▀▀██████▄██████▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀███████████████▀
▀███████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
▄▄█████▄▄
▄███████████▄
▄███████████████▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀██▄
██████████████▄██████
█████████████████████
████████████▀████████
▀█████████████▄█████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀███████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
.
Trusted by ✔
MONERO
& DASH
|◆  OVER 115 COINS 
◆  FIXED RATE 
◆  NO REGISTRATION 
▀▀▀█











▄▄▄█
The Pharmacist
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 1764
Merit: 3274



View Profile
January 21, 2019, 09:15:29 PM
Last edit: January 21, 2019, 10:17:19 PM by The Pharmacist
 #144

I've always loved the way copper patinas over time!
Yeah, those BTC pennies look even better once they've toned.  

Do you know the exact composition of these coins?  The OP says this:

Our coins are minted in the USA out of high grade copper for a quality coin that gives a nice R-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-N-G when you flip it!
....but it isn't clear what the metal composition is of the coins.  Are they the standard zinc/copper formula that the US mint uses, for example, or something else?  I'm just curious to know.  Either way they do seem to age well based on the pics shown here.

Edit:
Bitcoin Penny™ Commemorative Coins are ninety-seven percent (97%) copper. The other 3% is a special proprietary formula belonging to the mint.
Thanks for the answer--I wasn't sure if it was a secret or if you'd mentioned the composition elsewhere.  And yeah, at 97% Cu, that's even higher than the pre-1982 US pennies that I've been hoarding for a while now (I know some of the '82s are 95%, but I don't have the patience or a scale to separate them).  The new, mostly-zinc pennies look nice and shiny when they're just released, but they definitely don't age half as nicely as yours do.  Props on a nice-looking collectible!

BitcoinPenny
aka CJBianco
Legendary
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1655


BitcoinPenny.com


View Profile WWW
January 21, 2019, 09:57:37 PM
Merited by The Pharmacist (2)
 #145

Yeah, those BTC pennies look even better once they've toned. 

Do you know the exact composition of these coins?  The OP says this:

Our coins are minted in the USA out of high grade copper for a quality coin that gives a nice R-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-N-G when you flip it!
....but it isn't clear what the metal composition is of the coins.  Are they the standard zinc/copper formula that the US mint uses, for example, or something else?  I'm just curious to know.  Either way they do seem to age well based on the pics shown here.

Thanks for the question, Pharmacist.

Bitcoin Penny™ Commemorative Coins are ninety-seven percent (97%) copper. The other 3% is a special proprietary formula belonging to the mint. (I expect it's simply a unique mix of the usual metals — nickel, zinc, etc.) As you probably know, the current U.S. penny is only 3% copper. In fact, the U.S. penny hasn’t been minted with this much copper since 1837!

Since mid-2015, our coins have been finished with an ultra thin protective lacquer to keep them shiny and to reduce any unwanted patina. Personally, I love the patina, so I often remove the clear lacquer on my own "lucky" coins with a little of my wife's nail polish remover. However, if you can find one of our very first 2015 coins (the ones in the coin-flip orientation), those were minted without the protective finish, so those will change colors very nicely over the years. (I wish I had a lot more of those!)

Thanks again!

Regards,
Chris

BitcoinPenny.com | "When it comes to bitcoin swag, we make perfect CENTS!"
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.
Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!