Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:42:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 291.2409 BTC for a 0.0001 BTC transaction .  (Read 9799 times)
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2016, 11:18:22 AM

PassThePopcorn

Bitclubpool has stated they would send it back to the original sender if they prove ownership, if no one proves to them that they owned the BTC Bitclubpool "will" donate it to charity.

That sounds cool actually. I like seeing such acts in the bitcoin community. It's refreshing in comparision to dealing with scammers all day.

AGD

I see a nigerian prince, who failed at trying to mix stolen coins. Good thing is: he obviously doesn't know he could get it back.

Btw Bitclub: Please don't give this money to the Bitcoin Foundation. It's just like giving it back to the nigerian prince.

I don't see a nigerian prince here. I doubt any nigerian prince would be that successfull. They are happy with a couple of dollars they receive.

Boosterious

He lost 291.2409 BTC during the transaction and 0.0001 BTC was transacted.

It probably a thief or someone who was trying to speed up the transaction and messed up big time. If it was anyone else, I would just call him unlucky.

No,people already mentioned that it was a bitclub pool mistake,so nothing bitcoin stolen,its just a mistak,and its not first time mistake and not the last,i wish i will never found any other mistake like this.

What are you speaking of? What error of bitclub? They mined that fee and it looks like they want to give it back. So what error are you speaking of?

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cisahasa
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 07, 2016, 11:52:28 AM
Last edit: May 07, 2016, 02:13:31 PM by cisahasa

the most scary ones:
1. client bug.
2. service bug
3. third party client relaying payment found a way to swap fees/inputs(possible???)

we have no idea what client/service sender was using.

4. some rich guy having fun with us

pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
May 07, 2016, 12:01:56 PM

To be honest, it's the guy's fault that did this huge mistake (how the fuck do you not realize you are sending that insane amount for a fee?) I mean unless he was drunk, I have no idea how I would ever do this.
Bitcoin is about self-responsibility, so if you can't eve properly send a fee, that's your fault and the miners aren't forced to give this guy's money back, even tho it would be nice.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
May 07, 2016, 02:52:41 PM

To be honest, it's the guy's fault that did this huge mistake (how the fuck do you not realize you are sending that insane amount for a fee?) I mean unless he was drunk, I have no idea how I would ever do this.
Bitcoin is about self-responsibility, so if you can't eve properly send a fee, that's your fault and the miners aren't forced to give this guy's money back, even tho it would be nice.

Yeah but in this case (like many others) the pool/site wants to give it back to the real owner. He/they should only prove the ownership of the input address '1QgTYzMYqStzZBQx8gguYaJQMjFRbagbh'.
cisahasa
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2016, 02:57:45 PM

Yeah but in this case (like many others) the pool/site wants to give it back to the real owner. He/they should only prove the ownership of the input address '1QgTYzMYqStzZBQx8gguYaJQMjFRbagbh'.

no matter how this happened, human error or not.
but bitcoin dev team has some serious updating to do, avoiding this happening never again.

BitconAssociation

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2016, 03:00:56 PM

Lol no, the guy who started the "Bitclub is trying to return the coin" story was trolling.
Everyone instantly believed him because desperate for news that doesn't involve bitcoiners robbing each other.
BitMarshall

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 07, 2016, 03:02:52 PM

so long but still no one contacted for it ?
it might be some theif my guess
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
May 07, 2016, 03:50:53 PM

Lol no, the guy who started the "Bitclub is trying to return the coin" story was trolling.
Everyone instantly believed him because desperate for news that doesn't involve bitcoiners robbing each other.

Wrong. That's what the Coindesk article said. Now, Bitclub can go back on their word, but that will have significant negative repercussions on their business if they are recognized as untrustworthy.

And as far as the person who claimed this was a mistake _by_ Bitclub, please explain for us how a _miner_ originates this sort of mistake? Do you understand how bitcoin works?

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
BitconAssociation

View Profile
May 07, 2016, 03:59:12 PM

Wrong. That's what the Coindesk article said. Now, Bitclub can go back on their word, but that will have significant negative repercussions on their business if they are recognized as untrustworthy.

Link to Bitclub official statement plz?
cisahasa
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2016, 05:16:14 PM

i think this will do the job:

Dear Sir,

we are currently waiting for someone to reach out to us and claim their mistake so that we can verify them and send their bitcoin back, but so far as of this posting nobody has been able to verify it.

Blockchain : https://blockchain.info/tx/cc455ae816e6cdafdb58d54e35d4f46d860047458eacf1c7405dc634631c570d

Answer form : http://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7spoqTudJfWX01xdE1FYlRkQnM

Best Regards.

tmfp
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1737

"Common rogue from Russia with a bare ass."

View Profile
May 07, 2016, 05:16:58 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1152263.msg14686810

Extraordinary Claims require Extraordinary Evidence
BitconAssociation

View Profile
May 07, 2016, 05:46:02 PM

Dear Sir,

we are currently waiting for someone to reach out to us and claim their mistake so that we can verify them and send their bitcoin back, but so far as of this posting nobody has been able to verify it.

Blockchain : https://blockchain.info/tx/cc455ae816e6cdafdb58d54e35d4f46d860047458eacf1c7405dc634631c570d

Best Regards.

What am I looking at, and why is your second link asking me to download an executable?

http://s32.postimg.org/d2kzfhyo5/Capture.png

Please provide a link to an official public statement made by Bitclub. ty.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
May 07, 2016, 05:47:40 PM

Dear Sir,

Best Regards.

What am I looking at, and why is your second link asking me to download an executable?

Here the Coindesk article :

- http://www.coindesk.com/accidental-136000-bitcoin-mining-pool/

tmfp
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1737

"Common rogue from Russia with a bare ass."

View Profile
May 07, 2016, 08:47:32 PM

If you had bothered to follow that link you would have found this, it was sent to BitClub members thru their internal system.
As far as I am aware, there was no "official statement" per se.

BITCLUB NEWS

Record Setting Block... By Mistake!
Date: April 26th
Our mining pool got very very lucky today! We mined a block that was worth a total of 316.523 Bitcoin (about $147,000 USD) Here is the block - https://blockchain.info/block-height/409008 However, this was clearly a mistake made from a single transaction within the block that accidentally sent 291 Bitcoin as the transaction fee instead of putting it to the receiving address. We have actually seen this happen before many times but never on this scale. In fact, looking at all the blocks ever mined this may be the biggest mistake of all time. After doing some research into this transaction it seems to be a very unique transaction. Our initial thoughts are possibly a mixing service or some type of automated payment script that may have malfunctioned and put the wrong amount in the wrong place. (this is just a guess). We are currently waiting for someone to reach out and claim their mistake so we can verify them and send this Bitcoin back. But so far, as of this posting, nobody has been able to verify it. If we cannot verify the details then we are giving it all back to the Bitcoin community! We feel like this Bitcoin does not belong to us or our members and because it was a mistake made from what looks to be a pretty shady source we can use it for good if nobody comes forward to claim it. This gives us an opportunity to prove we are one of the good guys in this industry and despite the stigma of being an MLM and being in the Bitcoin space we can operate in an ethical manner for the benefit of everyone. So, here is what we are going to do... We are going to give the rightful owner 1 week to contact us and verify themselves. If nobody emerges during this time then we are going to donate the entire 291 Bitcoin back to the community or to a Bitcoin related charity. Ideally, we would like to provide a portion to Bitcoin core development, the Bitcoin Foundation, and we will be open for other allocation options that benefit the community as a whole! We hope this opens up some eyes as to what kind of organization we are, but honestly people will more than likley continue to believe what they want and we will continue to do what we've been doing since we launched BitClub Network 18 months ago... EXECUTE OUR MODEL! We will keep you posted as we try and validate the owner of this transaction, but one thing is for sure... We will not be keeping this Bitcoin either way!
Sincerely, -BCN Support Team

Anyway the week's long up, so who are they giving the money to, is the next question?

we will be open for other allocation options that benefit the community as a whole

Like what, I wonder?

Extraordinary Claims require Extraordinary Evidence
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2016, 04:01:03 PM

When they don't want to pay back then could this do enough harm for them? At least they are big so this amount is not so very huge for them like it would be for a small pool. So it's likely they really will pay back.

It is really strange that no one asked to get it back yet. It's not that someone can say that it's fine to lose it...

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
cisahasa
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 08:24:15 PM
Last edit: May 13, 2016, 08:00:46 AM by cisahasa

Dear Sir,

Best Regards.

links are from coindesk.
i have no idea what the google drive link has.
this was sent from coindesk as email.

pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2016, 09:51:47 PM

So it really happened. Today BitClub donated BTC146 (~$66,000) to Bitcoin Foundation:

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-foundation-donation-mining-pool/

https://blockchain.info/tx/3de749f519c5e90ac8ece5bc3a081f712a902d2a0140ca2a1d3e3b6f463232a5

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
Laniakea

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 12, 2016, 09:52:26 PM

Wow, seriously? To the Bitcoin foundation? OUCH Cheesy

cisahasa
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2016, 11:33:12 AM

what happened to the rest of the coins? (145btc...)

pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2016, 11:54:32 AM

what happened to the rest of the coins? (145btc...)

As per article:

At press time, it remains unclear which additional entity or entities received the remaining 145 BTC. Further, analysis of the transaction suggests the actual bitcoins sent to the Foundation were not those received in the original fee transaction. Representatives for BitClub were unresponsive to attempts for additional clarity.

But if I recall correctly, BitClub said they'll share a portion of that fee with their customers (those who purchased cloud mining with them).

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀