Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:03:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ValentFX "Logi-Bone" FPGA Bitcoin Miner  (Read 2408 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2013, 04:43:41 AM

Something interesting to check out -

A buddy of mine has been hard at work putting together a kit for engineers interested in getting into FPGA for the last couple of years.  The essence of the product is a daughterboard for BeagleBone / Raspberry Pi / etc., which provides a Spartan 6 that can be programmed and controlled by a user app running on the Linux-based host.

Once upon a time not too long ago, he and I were discussing Bitcoin.  He came to the conclusion that a functioning Bitcoin miner would be a great proof-of-concept / test app for his product.

Fast forward to today, here it is...

http://valentfx.com/logi-blog/item/fpga-logi-family-bitcoin-mining-application

As I understand it, it's probably nowhere near as fast as a comparable FPGA miner on the market.

As I understand it, they have barely scraped together the mining app from what they could find online, and there's probably a lot of room for improvement.

On the other hand, as I understand it, the device will still have market value as an FPGA playground even after FPGA mining becomes economically infeasible.  On the other hand, dedicated FPGA mining appliances, I would have to assume, would be mostly garbage once their operating cost exceeds their expected bitcoin output.

Disclaimer: I haven't mined in a while, have never FPGA mined, apologies in advance if I've misunderstood or misrepresented anything!

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: