Bitcoin Forum
October 23, 2017, 12:20:18 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.0.1  [Torrent]. (New!)

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin blockchain data torrent  (Read 204747 times)
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1470

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 03:55:14 PM

This is a torrent of the publicly available bitcoin blockchain data.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  As of Bitcoin Core version 0.10.0 or later, this torrent is slower than a direct download using the bitcoin P2P protocol & client.  This torrent is now only maintained for research and development purposes as a secondary option.  Please use Bitcoin Core directly to download the blockchain.

Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind version 0.7.1 and later supports a special import feature:  If the file "bootstrap.dat" is found in the bitcoin data directory, it will validate and import all blockchain data found in that file.  The following torrent presents a bootstrap.dat file for that feature.

Here is the PGP-signed torrent information.  The public key for jgarzik@bitpay.com may be found at public keyservers or http://bitcoin.org/jgarzik-bitpay.asc   Details follow below the signature.

Updated:  August 23, 2014

http://gtf.org/garzik/bitcoin/bootstrap.txt
Code:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

Torrent info hash: 36719ba2cecf9f3bd7c5abfb7a88e939611b536c
Torrent magnet link:
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:36719ba2cecf9f3bd7c5abfb7a88e939611b536c&dn=bootstrap.dat&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fcoppersurfer.tk%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fbttracker.crunchbanglinux.org%3A6969%2Fannounce

Block height: 317000
Filename: bootstrap.dat
Byte size: 22566124235
SHA1: 2e6e5dd20cd9c21960ba94f7265f42c4b6443758
SHA256: d05062052be4dd6fbaeac5f17598e52f7ad545f9f938acefaf7067ecce1d7b5a

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.22 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools - http://gpgtools.org

iQEcBAEBCgAGBQJT+PcrAAoJEL8a4JGi25zKmj4H/i8xKIXW/xnw5i5Pc+ciUuc2
Zo+KxQd1YGRmJSvGsyTgTqK4IJUBD8s8tIGTtznCJ2/Q3wIdZmoqxkST7r4rqJly
cOyJ/n19K5beYvVekIgHVXFmhdJhZf8KNnyuV+DpHmmLKYyZtvkoY9b3hEBHVtSM
AkjuWyA9IEPeghxBX32JAToXOZGs9vZghNyIMg/fWbGLuv1oX7QCjAAua0NAMbLX
diSvVcLXskTRy38W4whz1DX6ruL8mPRYH5Ko6/cmtVqEkr53aEwYf1XJGHHAz3+J
nEHecxBUbiRhDwMdCVtqzKudXWVDtkgVQmRxrkKTw63NTVMge4eEziE2+7JQgq8=
=p9TY
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

What is bootstrap.dat?

It is a flat, binary file containing bitcoin blockchain data, from the genesis block through height 317,000.

Versions 0.7.1+ automatically validates and imports a file in the data directory named "bootstrap.dat".

Special note: Version prior to 0.8.0 have a bug which will only import 2G of data from a file.  This is fixed in 0.8.0.

Who wants bootstrap.dat?

Anyone bringing up a new node using the reference client.  This is one method of accelerating the initial blockchain download process, while helping the bitcoin P2P network by offloading data download traffic from public P2P nodes.

This download is not for those who are already running the bitcoin client.

How often will this torrent be updated?

Assuming this project is deemed useful and worth continuing... the torrent will be updated once every few months, when the checkpoints are updated in the reference client source code.

Why not update the torrent more often?

A torrent works best when it is a large, static dataset that changes infrequently.  That maximizes the ability to seed the data, enabling even part-timer seeders to contribute meaningfully.  Less frequent changes also minimizes the risk that a malicious torrent will appear, with a long, malicious side chain.  The current policy only updates the torrent after blocks are buried many thousands deep in the chain.

Why should I trust you?

You don't have to:  This data is raw block chain data.  The client will verify this data during import.

Independent third parties may generate their own bootstrap.dat, up to height 317,000, and verify that the sha256sum matches that posted above.  The file format is simple and publicly known:

<4-byte pchMessageStart><32-bit length><CBlock, serialized in network wire format>

Torrent file download?

If the magnet link does not work, download the torrent file from https://bitcoin.org/bin/block-chain/   http://gtf.org/garzik/bitcoin/bootstrap.dat.torrent

How can I help?  Do you need more seeds?

Yes, we need as many long term seeds as possible.  This ensures we can meet torrent download demand immediately at high speeds, and remain idle the remainder of the time.

Generate the file myself?

You may generate the file yourself, rather than downloading it, if you have Bitcore Core and python.  The tool used to generate bootstrap.dat is https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/tree/master/contrib/linearize

Comments welcome

Post any comments or experiences in this thread.  I'll update the OP as needed.

Jeff Garzik, bitcoin core dev team and BitPay engineer; opinions are my own, not my employer.
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
Scrat Acorns

Activity: 293

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 04:00:17 PM

Direct download mirror: https://bitfetch.com/static/bootstrap.7z
(compressed using 7z/LZMA2 - 2.7 vs. 4.7 GiB)

If you can seed, use the torrent instead.
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218

Creator of Litecoin. Director of Eng at Coinbase.

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 05:57:56 PM

If I already have some block data and want to replace them with this, do I need to delete my blk*.dat files? How about the blocks or chainstate directory?

BitcoinBug

Activity: 196

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 06:23:18 PM

I was seeding the previous version (2.3 GB, share ratio 15) and when I added this one, it picked up and verified the existing version and continued downloading from 51%. Very cool!
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1162

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 06:36:24 PM

This is a great idea, although I am a bit confused as to the future as we won't all need to keep a full node anymore, but I'm sure that will come into understanding in the coming weeks. 

Seeding this as much as possible!

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2156

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 07:37:08 PM

How to find the data directory (where this file belongs to):
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Data_directory (<-- this also needs a bit of updating for the different files/folders with 0.8)

Some more hash values of this bootstrap.dat file (up to 216116):
Adler32: FA0EEF4C
CRC32: DDF59E6B
MD5: 1B437D44213B7D98C974546B55834D10
SHA-1: 985380032B618281EC5B9B49AFDCC99A4BCD69EB
SHA-256: BF658C7055B733BFC15EA167F298C5599B89D220B14DBE7C8EF20B18E468C451

Unfortunately it's not possible (yet?) in Bittorrent to share HTTP seeds in a swarm (DDoS potential!), but still - if you have a web server to seed this file but cannot run Bittorrent, you might still post a link here, so you can be added to the Magnet URI/torrent file.
HTTP seeds are in most clients actually quite rarely used, so unless people start to direct download from these you might not even have heavy traffic going on.

Also if you cannot use Bittorrent, there are services around that download torrents for BTC for you and offer a HTTPS download link. I won't link these here as I don't want to make it look like I endorse any of these.

https://bitfinex.com <-- leveraged trading of BTCUSD, LTCUSD and LTCBTC (long and short) - 10% discount on fees for the first 30 days with this refcode: x5K9YtL3Zb
Mail me at Bitmessage: BM-BbiHiVv5qh858ULsyRDtpRrG9WjXN3xf
jgarzik
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 07:53:52 PM

If I already have some block data and want to replace them with this, do I need to delete my blk*.dat files? How about the blocks or chainstate directory?

This is not a replacement for block data you already have.  This is a separate file, that is only used once, during data import.

After data import, the file is renamed to bootstrap.dat.old, and never touched again.  Most will want to manually delete it, after use.

Jeff Garzik, bitcoin core dev team and BitPay engineer; opinions are my own, not my employer.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 10:09:02 PM

This is not a replacement for block data you already have.  This is a separate file, that is only used once, during data import.

After data import, the file is renamed to bootstrap.dat.old, and never touched again.  Most will want to manually delete it, after use.
More specifically answering the question, if your Bitcoin client is already close to block 216116 (January 11) or even halfway completed (block 190000), the bootstrap.dat likely won't be of much use to you. It may take more time to download and then import the torrent than to complete the blockchain synchronization normally. This torrent is also only for those using the v0.8.0 release or after, as 0.7.1-0.7.2 are not able to import more than 2.0GiB of the 4.7GiB file.

You can use the bootstrap.dat torrent with no ill effects regardless of your current block. When you restart and Bitcoin sees the bootstrap.dat that you have dropped in it's data directory, any block hashes you already have will be skipped quickly, and the import will pick up at the blocks you don't have.

dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2310

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 05:03:36 AM

I have an up-to-date copy of the blockchain.  Is there an easy way to generate bootstrap.dat from it so I can seed it without having to download the whole thing again?

I'm thinking it might be relatively easy to modify the armory source code to dump out a bootstrap.dat file, but won't bother if something already exists.

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
jgarzik
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 05:12:05 AM

I have an up-to-date copy of the blockchain.  Is there an easy way to generate bootstrap.dat from it so I can seed it without having to download the whole thing again?

This script is used to generate bootstrap.dat:
https://github.com/jgarzik/pynode/blob/master/mkbootstrap.py

It requires an up-to-date pynode chain database.

In theory, someone could write a script that processes bitcoind's $DATADIR/blocks directory into bootstrap.dat, but no one has written that yet.

dooglus
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 06:45:33 AM

In theory, someone could write a script that processes bitcoind's $DATADIR/blocks directory into bootstrap.dat, but no one has written that yet.

They have now...

https://gist.github.com/dooglus/5002764

It uses the Armory code to do all the work, and creates a bootstrap.dat with the correct sha256 hash:

$ sha256sum bootstrap.dat
bf658c7055b733bfc15ea167f298c5599b89d220b14dbe7c8ef20b18e468c451  bootstrap.dat

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218

Creator of Litecoin. Director of Eng at Coinbase.

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 08:21:14 AM

I've tried a few times and couldn't get this to work. First time, I just put the bootstrap.dat file there and tried to run it against my current blocks. It didn't like that and got stuck.

The next time, I deleted all my block data and tried it again. This time it got stuck at block 211551 (iirc) and wouldn't load any block after that. Looking at the debug.log, I see that my peers are trying to give me blocks higher than that but my client keeps rejecting them for some reason.

The third time, I tried the same thing again. This time, when it got to block 155088, it gave me a database corrupt message and the client quit. Restarting the client does the same thing:
init message: Importing blocks from block database...
LevelDB read failure: Corruption: block checksum mismatch

I'm running this on a Mac if that makes a difference. Seems like 0.8 is buggy.

deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2013, 08:45:01 AM

Seems like your computer is sick.

Run Linpack for a few hours, your computer will likely give inconsistent results, crash, hit 99 degrees C, throttle cores.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-math-kernel-library-linpack-download

A forum for it

Or run this Windows software: IntelBurnTest

jomplox

Activity: 90

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 07:56:56 PM

Thanks for your work OP. I'm seeding the new torrent and will be doing so for at least a year at the very least.
neofutur

Activity: 147

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2013, 09:31:27 AM

I also added a download on :

http://fh.gd/blockchain/

you ll find the torrent, the bootstrap.dat and the md5sum, and the same bootstrap.dat gzipped

I ll try to update it whenever a new torrent and checkpoint comes out
( also seeding the torrent )

OP: perhaps you should setup a mailing list for mirrors, so you can ping us all when a new version of the torrent have to be downloaded ?

same ! prefer the torrent !

mirror sponsored by
http://bitcoin.gw.gd/

mrlithium

Activity: 46

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 05:15:51 PM

Can this be added to the sourceforge blockchain project sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/blockchain/ or update that somehow?
It took me forever to find this thread.
jgarzik
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 07:19:06 PM

Torrent file now also available via bitcoin's SourceForge page:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/blockchain/

streblo

Activity: 165

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:13:35 PM

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it: Why isn't a (moderately up-to-date) bootstrap.dat (optionally) included with the offical bitcoind/bitcoin-qt binaries? The trust model isn't invalidated because (a) you're downloading binaries and (b) the bootstrap's data are verified. Sourceforge already hosts the blockchain. It seems it would remove a lot of redundant data transfer from the bitcoin network, no?
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:16:17 PM

i'll just say that i've been maintaining a few torrent sites since Jeff started this thread.  activity was initially zilch.

in the last couple of weeks the upload bandwidth has skyrocketed.
streblo

Activity: 165

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 10:58:28 PM

i'll just say that i've been maintaining a few torrent sites since Jeff started this thread.  activity was initially zilch.

Link?
jonathan

Activity: 81

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:01:15 AM

same story on my box. This is the torrent that never sleeps lately.
kuzetsa

Activity: 369

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:12:56 AM

This is special to our use case:  bootstrap.dat is essentially an append-only file.  Blocks are simply concatenated onto the end.

((...snip...))

The next torrent, a few months from now, will have the same first 2,491,771,562 bytes.

Thus, to bittorrent, the next torrent will simply appear to be a truncated / not fully downloaded bootstrap.dat.  Bittorrent is built to fill in the missing pieces of a file, so that is what it does here Smiley

I just copied that over from the beta thread

... wanted to point out that it DID work for me

(I was able to use the older/smaller/earlier bootstrap.dat, and then my bittorrent client was able to smartly "fix" the new torrent... like...
the smaller file is basically the same & I only needed to download the missing end. This procedure results in the same updated bootstrap.dat
)

... it should continue to work for the next new/larger/updated torrent just the same.

thanks jgarzik, you rock Smiley
dooglus
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 07:38:09 PM

same story on my box. This is the torrent that never sleeps lately.

Am I doing something wrong?  I've been seeding for over a month, but have had very little interest in it:

This is in 'transmission'.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 08:02:12 PM

Am I doing something wrong?  I've been seeding for over a month, but have had very little interest in it:

Me: Uploaded 23.05 GB

When there are 40 seeds (there were up to 60 earlier), you only need to give one downloader 1/40th of 4.7GB, and it will be less if you have a slower connection then the fastest seeds. The three peers I have connecting from Netherlands, Russia, and Iran are barely getting data, they might be mistakenly using their 2400 baud modems to get the torrent.

Make sure you have encryption enabled (many will block if you don't), and the TCP/UDP ports of bittorrent and DHT port forwarded.

jgarzik
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:55:35 PM

There tends to be bursts, with idleness following.  There are many seeders, so download-then-idle is quite fast.

It has the most impact in handling unintended bursts, like when bitcoin sees a lot of new press attention.

dooglus
Legendary

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:49:48 AM

There tends to be bursts, with idleness following.  There are many seeders, so download-then-idle is quite fast.

It has the most impact in handling unintended bursts, like when bitcoin sees a lot of new press attention.

My upload speed is slow and my latency is horrible.  I expect most peers take one look at me and decide I'm not worth bothering with.  Smiley

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
grubles

Activity: 181

mistaken for gribble since 2011

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 05:00:58 AM

seeding on my glorious 5 mb/s uplink.

BM-NBi5PcH8BBqDVp7WSJe2pNgqEVvTjd6T
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1848

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 07:24:06 AM

I use transmission too and it's not rare for me to see other files uploading at hundreds of Kb/s, but I don't see a lot of interest in bootstrap.dat either. However there's little I can do besides seeding so…

takagari
Legendary

Activity: 826

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 07:33:53 AM

Downloading this torrent file now and uploading to my Gps seedbox.

Enjoy dont rape me too hard Tongue

EDIT:
Nope I'm not. my server won't allow public torrents Sad

dieguito

Activity: 18

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 01:21:45 AM

This script is used to generate bootstrap.dat:
https://github.com/jgarzik/pynode/blob/master/mkbootstrap.py

It requires an up-to-date pynode chain database.

Hi Jeff,

I create some quicks steps to get this from the command line in Ubuntu / Debian:

Code:
$ sudo aptitude install rtorrent
$ rtorrent -n -d ~/.bitcoin/ "magnet:?xt=urn:btih:6fe493ba606847eac163baf35aae9db319735482&dn=bootstrap.dat&tr=udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80&tr=udp://tracker.publicbt.com:80&tr=udp://tracker.ccc.de:80&tr=udp://tracker.istole.it:80"

I'm not sure if the bootstrap.dat needs to go in .bitcoin or in .bitcoin/blocks/.

All the best,
D

PS: A little OT but I see pynode is a listen only client is there something in python like pynode that handles all bitcoin operations?
tkbx

Activity: 322

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 12:20:48 AM

This is extremely convenient, when I install bitcoin-qt on another device, it takes about an hour instead of nearly a week.
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 03:02:07 AM

for some reasons, I get 15 connections after using this bootstrap thing versus 8 if starts from scratch
plonk420

Activity: 17

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 11:23:34 AM

it's a pity the torrent isn't 7zipped...

could the next iteration of it be compressed?

edit: i wouldn't mind seeding it on my seedbox, either.
jgarzik
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:51:17 PM

Feedback on this is welcomed.  Generally, not all platforms have an easy time getting up and running with 7zip.  Users in the past requested something directly usable with bitcoind.

Opinions differ, and maybe if it saves a gigabyte or two, it would be worth it.

Some users also complain about the doubling of disk space required -- for both compressed and uncompressed copies.

Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 09:40:55 PM

I would keep it uncompressed for the time being - it would be great by the way if bitcoin-qt would delete the file after a successful import automatically, I'm sure that some still keep it around unnecessarily. I see the issues with it suddenly "disappearing" but I guess the benefit of not wasting space outweighs it.

I don't care if I seed now ~4.5 GB or ~3 GB, as long as compression doesn't change the file size really significantly (meaning 5 instead of 50 or 500 GB) I rather consider it a burden than helping. There are download sources for compressed blockchain files already on the web anyways.

With 0.8.2 around the corner, can we expect a new check point + torrent file by the way?

https://bitfinex.com <-- leveraged trading of BTCUSD, LTCUSD and LTCBTC (long and short) - 10% discount on fees for the first 30 days with this refcode: x5K9YtL3Zb
deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 01:30:53 PM

Feedback on this is welcomed.  Generally, not all platforms have an easy time getting up and running with 7zip.  Users in the past requested something directly usable with bitcoind.

Opinions differ, and maybe if it saves a gigabyte or two, it would be worth it.

Some users also complain about the doubling of disk space required -- for both compressed and uncompressed copies.

It saves more than 3GB currently; 7zip at optimum settings reduces blockchain data to about 57% of the original size.

It would reduce the amount of disk space required; the decompressed copy doesn't need to be kept after an import. The compressed file is seeded from the user's torrent directory, and makes for a good checksummed archive of the blockchain for a user to have as a backup too.

I wrote unzip/install scripts that can be included with the torrent for one-click extraction

http://(deleted)...

I am slowly convincing myself even more that a compressed torrent is preferable. Without compression you are downloading the same amount of data as normal p2p. The compressed binary would only be repeatable on the exact xz/lzma/7zip build version and settings, but I think there are probably four people total that have run mkbootstrap anyway, so this is not important. It takes about an hour to smash the blockchain down to 60% the size at the extreme settings I've used over many trials to optimize settings.

Compressed-Pros:
-2000+ 3000+ MB of uploading and downloading saved for every user,
-2000+ MB less storage used when seeding,
-won't cause problems if torrent HDD is FAT32
(another: small split files easier to host/share/download from multiple sources than a single 8GB file)

Compressed-Cons:
-Not as simple to use, end-user must decompress with third-party utility (although 7-zip is common),
-More work creating torrent (doesn't matter to end-users),
-Cannot "update" torrent by simply replacing data file with newer version with additional blocks (likely to be a rare practice anyway, I am the only one seeding the old torrent right now).

Here is example compression, both require about an hour (but decompress in minutes):

xz utils 5.0.4/Win64, 3GB+ RAM required to compress (2,780,285,148 bytes)
xz --compress --keep --format=xz --check=sha256 --verbose --lzma2=dict=256MiB,nice=273,mf=bt4 bootstrap.dat

7-zip GUI win64 - 6GB+ RAM required to compress (2,769,830,975 bytes)
Format: 7z, Compression Level: Ultra, Compression method: LZMA, Dictionary size: 384MB, Word Size 273

A checkpoint of 225430 was added two months ago at the fork. I would guess that this will either be updated to a newer block or another will be added to before 0.8.2.
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/src/checkpoints.cpp

rc0cl

Activity: 20

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 05:39:03 AM

Could we have more frequent updates of these compressed files? especially the last 512MB 7zipped block.

BTC: 188EEDUSJwEARgeMLEuqSMBpPBdSyvNkBt
LTC: Lc9wCRB7J9rp3J577K1sewWgsQDBV3Q8Q6
D35TR0Y3R

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 05:51:59 AM

When was this last updated?

Update: Hi everyone, just to let you guys know that I hacked this account and removed all the negative trust, I've dealt with that scumbag hacker-wannabe extortionist I rooted his fucking machine and stole every last bitcent. I will be in contact with those that he has defrauded and you will be reimbursed fully BM-2D8oHJRsGqH82FDAC2eTEtVmeN7TAVmNBP the1 trojan
TLS freedom

Activity: 39

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 07:00:38 AM

My setup does not like udp can someone add these trackers so they get the list. Makes no difference seed or peer. I'm looking to seed, help me help you.

http://www.h33t.com:3310/announce

http://exodus.desync.com:6969/announce

TLS freedom

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 05:27:35 PM

Bump, can someone whos seeding or leaching this torrent add these trackers to their client, PLEASE!?

http://coppersurfer.tk:6969/announce

teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 05:40:36 PM

Bump, can someone whos seeding or leaching this torrent add these trackers to their client, PLEASE!?

http://coppersurfer.tk:6969/announce

I added them but I'm afraid I can only leave the torrent up for 12 hours (I'm going to Australia tomorrow).

I couldn't contact exodus.desync.com (no ping) but picked up a couple of peers from the other two instantly.
TLS freedom

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 06:09:54 PM

Hey thanks will seed now for a few weeks, are we going to update with a new torrent every 6 months or so?

Edit: VERY FAST torrent, great job guys DL'ed it in 90min!
Insu Dra

Activity: 182

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 11:52:45 PM

great learn people it's ok to mix torrents with financial data ...

On side note I'l be adding better compressed .exe file to the list pretty soon. Auto extracts to correct location and all.

"drugs, guns, and gambling for anyone and everyone!"
rc0cl

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 06:26:09 PM

block 216116, it is 240000+ today

I am assuming the compressed bootstrap.dat differs in the headers (1st MB) and whatever is appended at the end.
So I guess you need to byte compare the first chunk and the last chunk to check my assumption?

BTC: 188EEDUSJwEARgeMLEuqSMBpPBdSyvNkBt
LTC: Lc9wCRB7J9rp3J577K1sewWgsQDBV3Q8Q6
deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 06:02:28 AM

block 216116, it is 240000+ today

I am assuming the compressed bootstrap.dat differs in the headers (1st MB) and whatever is appended at the end.
So I guess you need to byte compare the first chunk and the last chunk to check my assumption?

A file compressed with 7zip is a solid archive with a very large dictionary. Extracting any part of the file requires the data that came before it; essentially you must have the complete 7zip archive to extract data. A multipart 7zip archive is not independent files, the parts are just a binary split of the whole large archive file, and downloading later parts without the first part is useless. You must have all 7zipped compressed data in order to extract a verifiable bootstrap.dat.

A future torrent created with multi-part 7z files instead of one big uncompressed bootstrap.dat means that you could supplement your download or seeding by getting some of the torrent multi-part files off different websites where they might be hosted, and manually adding them to the torrent.

I am disappointed that 0.8.2 was released without a new checkpoint. Current block is 240709, I could force the issue by creating a block 0-240,000 bootstrap.dat torrent, if many would choose to adopt and seed such a torrent as a new "official" one. I'll see if Gavin is interested in picking a new checkpoint block yet with a code pull.

Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 10:13:25 AM

I am disappointed that 0.8.2 was released without a new checkpoint.
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/src/checkpoints.cpp
Latest checkpoint: 225430

There is no need for multipart other than the 4 GB/file limit on FAT32 maybe. Most modern torrent clients already support HTTP sources too and would download pieces from these only when there are not enough seeders around in the swarm. As you already said, once a new torrent gets released, all previous data in case of 7zip is invalidated so it is not a case of "I ass another 200 MB piece and the previous ones are still valid" as it is with an uncompressed chain file.

In other news, I announced to these other trackers too, though switching on DHT should already give enough peers to connect to the rest of the swarm via peer discovery - trackers are rarely used these days any more other than for bootstrapping and maybe connecting swarms that were split. Once there is even a single peer connected to both parts of a swarm, via PEX they will be soon reunited anyways. The desync.com one is offline for me too by the way.

@jgarzik:
Could we (until you decide on whether to compress or not) at least have an "official" bootstrap.dat torrent until 225430 (or ideally: ~240k)? I mean it's not that hard to create one ourselves, it would just lead to more fragmented swarms and just having a single "official" one makes it easier to seed.

I would suggest the following scheme by the way:
Every 4032 blocks (= 2 difficulty changes or ~every 4 weeks) release a new torrent link for current block - 2016 (so the block of the last difficulty change). This should be by far deep down enough to not be part of any chain splits any more and updating a link every 4 weeks (or just getting it from an RSS feed) should be not too much hassle for seeders either.

If you set the part size in the torrent to a certain fixed size, you could even let people come up with the info hash programmatically just by processing their own chain files!

Legendary

Activity: 1946

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 02:20:30 PM

The desync.com one is offline for me too by the way.
This one is a split IPv4/IPv6 tracker. IPv4 reachability seems to be determined by geolocation or some similar mechanism. IPv6 seems to be very reliable and long-term stable.
Code:
C:\Users\2112>ping exodus.desync.com

Pinging exodus.desync.com [2607:f178::164] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 2607:f178::164: time=105ms
Reply from 2607:f178::164: time=110ms
Reply from 2607:f178::164: time=122ms
Reply from 2607:f178::164: time=109ms

Ping statistics for 2607:f178::164:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 105ms, Maximum = 122ms, Average = 111ms

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
jgarzik
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 02:37:30 PM

Yes, the blockchain torrent will be updated this week (probably today).

As others have noted, if you compress with 7zip, that eliminates a useful property from the current torrent:  The first X gigabytes are the same in the old bootstrap.dat torrent, and any new bootstrap.dat torrent.  Using the same file, and replacing the .torrent file, will cause your torrent client to download only the new blocks, not the entire torrent.

TechCF

Activity: 109

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 10:26:30 PM

Seeding on 30mbit, added tcp (http) trackers as requested.
jgarzik
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 02:46:19 PM

Updated torrent.  See OP for full information.

The torrent is directly available from http://gtf.org/garzik/bitcoin/bootstrap.dat.torrent but ideally the magnet should find it.

As with other updates, simply replace (delete) the old .torrent with this new .torrent.  Any existing bootstrap.dat will be appended, avoiding a lengthy download process for the first ~200,000 blocks.

Please seed this new torrent (and drop the old)!

jgarzik
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 03:13:04 PM

Without a tracker URL, it looks like rtorrent does not want it.
Would you mind if I published a torrent.dat with some common public trackers?

Well, if it is truly a problem, I would prefer to regenerate the .torrent file.

What are everybody's favorite trackers?  IRC also reports a couple trackers listed in the magnet link are down.

Ideally the DHT should find things, but trackers seem to be necessary for some clients.

Edit: rtorrent users should turn on the DHT.

jgarzik
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 03:23:03 PM

http://istole.it/ lists 4 common open trackers.

2-3 of those seem to be giving people timeouts.

ViperMad

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 05:17:51 PM

rtorrent users should turn on the DHT.

The new torrent is working great with rtorrent using DHT for me.
jgarzik
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 05:31:00 PM

OK, updated torrent file at SourceForge and http://gtf.org/garzik/bitcoin/bootstrap.dat.torrent to add trackers mentioned upthread.

Same info hash (thus, same bootstrap.dat file data).

Once enough peers have this new torrent, the magnet link should pick it up for the rest.

Chaoskampf

Activity: 182

order in numbers

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 10:56:16 PM

I want to host the blockchain on a cloud server and then point about 50 raspberry pi's to it. Is there a way to do this?
deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 12:53:54 PM

I want to host the blockchain on a cloud server and then point about 50 raspberry pi's to it. Is there a way to do this?

1. Cloud server - no. To have even marginal performance, blockchain files would need to be on a local network drive. The blockchain database works much better on SSD than rotational hard drive. You would be using something much slower than a standard hard drive and sharing it with 50 computers.

2. Rasberry Pi, no. So much slower than a used $25 craigslist computer.

3. The blockchain torrent can be imported into one system's bitcoin-qt. The complete data directory (except wallet.dat) could be copied to other machines so you don't have import multiple times.

4. Then SOME of the blockchain files that never change could be moved to a network drive and replaced with symbolic links on the client filesystems. The only files that won't be changing are past BLK00001.dat-BLK00064.dat files in the blocks sub-directory. The most recent BLK000xx.dat file must not be copied to network, it will still be added to by the individual client bitcoins and must be local and unique to that bitcoin.

Your question appears to have nothing to do with the bootstrap torrent.

BitKoot

Activity: 113

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 07:27:49 PM

I was just wondering if people would find it usefull if there was a website that did the following:
  • Provide one big button to download a torrent of a recent version of the blockchain
  • Offer an alternative download (zipped)
  • Show the number of active seeders
  • Post a new torrent on a weekly basis (or some other viable interval) automaticly based on a bootstrap.dat maintained by a node running on the server.
  • Provide information to verify the integrity of the download

That's when I saw this thread Smiley. Just downloaded the bootstap.dat in 18 minutes!

What do you think, will there be enough users of a service like this? Or will a solution like this thread in combination with a 6 month interval suffice?
Darktongue

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 01:14:41 AM

This is iconic.  I'll seed this file
Cubic Earth

Activity: 721

HAZZA Token Sale October 3rd

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 10:07:48 PM

Downloading now...  started off with 11 peers and consistently over 12mbits/sec and peaking at 20mbits/sec, and that is on my 20mbit cable connection.  Yep, bitcoiners know how to make any kind of P2P kick ass.

▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄██▀▀         ▀▀██▄
  ▄██▀   ▄███████▄    ██▄
 ▄█▀  ▄██████▀▀  ▄▄▄   ██▄
▄█▀  ▄█████▀  ▄██████▄  ██▄
██  ▄████▀  ▄█▀ ██████▄  ██
██  ████▄ ▄█▀ ▄█▀ ▀████  ██
██  ▀██████ ▄█▀  ▄████▀  ██
▀█▄  ▀██████▀  ▄█████▀  ▄█▀
 ▀█▄   ▀▀▀  ▄▄█████▀   ▄█▀
  ▀██▄   ▀███████▀   ▄██▀
    ▀██▄▄         ▄▄██▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
.HAZZA.
█████▀
███▀
██  ▄█
██▄██▀
███▀ 
█▀  ▄█
  ▄███
▄██▀██
█▀  ██
  ▄███
▄█████

█████▀
███▀
██  ▄█
██▄██▀
███▀ 
█▀  ▄█
  ▄███
▄██▀██
█▀  ██
  ▄███
▄█████
▬▬▬   Mentioned in   ▬▬▬
[CNBC] [BLOOMBERG]

█████▀
███▀
██  ▄█
██▄██▀
███▀ 
█▀  ▄█
  ▄███
▄██▀██
█▀  ██
  ▄███
▄█████

█████▀
███▀
██  ▄█
██▄██▀
███▀ 
█▀  ▄█
  ▄███
▄██▀██
█▀  ██
  ▄███
▄█████
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 2324

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 10:30:35 PM

• Post a new torrent on a weekly basis (or some other viable interval) automaticly based on a bootstrap.dat maintained by a node running on the server.
    What do you think, will there be enough users of a service like this? Or will a solution like this thread in combination with a 6 month interval suffice?
    If you keep updating the file it will break people seeding it and so you'll never have a big distribution network.

Bitcoin will not be compromised
    Sukrim
    Legendary

View Profile
    July 27, 2013, 11:11:40 AM

If you keep updating the file it will break people seeding it and so you'll never have a big distribution network.

Offer an RSS feed as well, so seeders would just need to clear old torrents from time to time... Roll Eyes[/list]

e4xit

Activity: 300

View Profile
      August 01, 2013, 06:18:15 AM

So I am in the process of downloading the latest version of this torrent now, but still slightly confused as to how I use it...

I am using Bitcoin Qt 0.8.3 Beta, so it should support auto-import of this file, right?

Just a little unsure of where to put it, and if I need to delete the folders "blocks" and/or "Chainstate" and the files "db.log", "debug.log" or "peers.dat"?

I am on OSX so presume that it is going somewhere inside the /Users/will/Library/Application Support/ folder?

Thanks

If you don't have the private key for "your" bitcoins then you have no bitcoins.
      There are a million bits in a bitcoin: 1 ฿ = 1,000,000 ƀ
      dserrano5
      Legendary

Activity: 1848

View Profile
      August 01, 2013, 06:57:44 AM

So I am in the process of downloading the latest version of this torrent now, but still slightly confused as to how I use it...

I am using Bitcoin Qt 0.8.3 Beta, so it should support auto-import of this file, right?

Just a little unsure of where to put it, and if I need to delete the folders "blocks" and/or "Chainstate" and the files "db.log", "debug.log" or "peers.dat"?

Put it anywhere, then run bitcoin with the "-loadblock=/path/to/file" parameter.

e4xit

View Profile
      August 01, 2013, 08:48:48 AM

Ok thanks. Any idea on how to do that?  Roll Eyes

Edit: I am on OSX, I think I could do it on windows, but not particularly familiar with terminal and how to run apps from it with parameters in OSX

If you don't have the private key for "your" bitcoins then you have no bitcoins.
      jgarzik
      Legendary

View Profile
      August 01, 2013, 02:10:54 PM

bootstrap.dat goes into the data directory.  The same directory as debug.log and peers.dat are located.

e4xit

View Profile
      August 01, 2013, 05:19:01 PM

Thanks for replying guys, although, the two bits of info were a little bit conflicting:

Put it anywhere, then run bitcoin with the "-loadblock=/path/to/file" parameter.

bootstrap.dat goes into the data directory.  The same directory as debug.log and peers.dat are located.

I think Jeff's is just the 'safe' way, or for if you are running an older version of Bitcoin-QT...

If anyone else gets stuck like me, what I did was:

OSX using Bitcoin-QT versions 0.7.1+

1) Open a terminal window
      2) Open a finder window.
      3) In the finder window, navigate to /Applications/ and the ctrl+click on 'Bitcoin-QT' and choose 'Show package contents'
      4) Navigate to /Contents/MacOS/ and then drag the file in there ('Bitcoin-QT') into the terminal window
      5) add a space into the terminal window, after the 'Bitcoin-QT' file, then type:

-loadblock=

So in the terminal window you will have something like this:

"Your-iMac:~ user$ /Applications/Bitcoin-Qt.app/Contents/MacOS/Bitcoin-Qt -loadblock="

Dont press anything else yet...

6) Next, with the finder window selected again, navigate to the location of your 'Bootstrap.dat' file
      7) Drag this file into the terminal window, so that it adds it onto the end of the command, which will look something like:

"Your-iMac:~ user$ /Applications/Bitcoin-Qt.app/Contents/MacOS/Bitcoin-Qt -loadblock=/path/to/file"

Hit enter to run.

Hope that this helps someone else Smiley

jgarzik
      Legendary

View Profile
      August 01, 2013, 06:48:06 PM

Simply dropping bootstrap.dat into the folder is the safe, easy way.  After the import is complete, the file is renamed to ensure it is not re-imported over and over again.

-loadblock is fine too, but requires a bit of extra work on the part of the user.

e4xit

View Profile
      August 01, 2013, 10:16:19 PM

Will Bitcoin-QT versions 0.7.1+ recognise that the file is there automagically without having to run the binary with the parameter '-loadblock='?

Also, just out of interest, does Bitcoin-QT import the blocks from disk using just a single CPU core?

I am just wondering as I have an i7 (3.1 GHz) CPU, but activity monitor doesn't show more than 70% CPU (max is 800%)... If it is single core, is there any way to increase this?

Thanks

snakee

View Profile
      August 06, 2013, 07:00:24 PM

Hey Wink

Would someone be so nice and explain the following to a beginner ?  ----"-loadblock=/path/to/file"----

Everything till the = i understood and i guessed, that the "path" must be the path to the bootstrap.dat ?! after that im not sure what to insert at "to" if it isnt just a to that stays there and which file is ment at the end ?

It would be very nice if someone could help me out.

Thank you very much in advance
      jgarzik
      Legendary

View Profile
      August 07, 2013, 12:11:24 AM

Hey Wink

Would someone be so nice and explain the following to a beginner ?  ----"-loadblock=/path/to/file"----

Just drop bootstrap.dat into your bitcoin data directory, restart Bitcoin-Qt, and do not be confused by other, more complicated instructions.

snakee

View Profile
      August 07, 2013, 11:42:30 AM

Well, thats a way i understand instantly Wink

downloaded the whole chain over night but next time ill know what to do, thx Wink

but maybe someone who is bored could explain whats ment above, i like to get more knowledge Wink im the kind of person that needs to know anything i didnt understood Wink

greetz from germany
      deepceleron
      Legendary

View Profile WWW
      August 07, 2013, 03:27:26 PM

Well, thats a way i understand instantly Wink

downloaded the whole chain over night but next time ill know what to do, thx Wink

but maybe someone who is bored could explain whats ment above, i like to get more knowledge Wink im the kind of person that needs to know anything i didnt understood Wink

greetz from germany
      A little searching might get you the explanation (which links here), I'll post this linking there:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=51456.0

jgarzik
      Legendary

View Profile
      August 30, 2013, 03:21:41 PM

Updated block chain torrent to height 250,000, coinciding with a recently commited checkpoint in the bitcoind source code.

Existing seeders, please update by simply swapping out the old torrent file for the new torrent file.  After restarting your torrent client, you should already have ~85% of the new bootstrap.dat.

New seeders:  We always need more seeders, in every country of the world, to help spread the block chain and speed downloads.  Ideally, we have a large swarm of seeders, that burst to downloads at maximum download speed, and then remain idle the rest of the time.

Read the OP for magnet link and torrent details.  Ask questions.

jgarzik
      Legendary

View Profile
      August 30, 2013, 05:42:54 PM

Forgot to mention...  the following python util, linearize.py, was checked into the bitcoin repo today:

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/tree/master/contrib/linearize

This tool may be used to recreate bootstrap.dat byte-for-byte identical with the bootstrap.dat in this torrent.

If you are running bitcoind locally, create bootstrap.dat locally, then start seeding the torrent immediately at 100%!

Ego

Activity: 19

View Profile
      September 01, 2013, 11:04:55 AM

Thanks for the D/L much quicker than going through QT
      jgarzik
      Legendary

View Profile
      September 09, 2013, 07:43:08 PM

Bump, due to renewed interest.

pedrog
      Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
      September 09, 2013, 08:26:44 PM

Bump, due to renewed interest.

You have my seed, sir!

acidu

Activity: 92

View Profile
      September 13, 2013, 10:24:10 AM

testing this thing now... will come back for detailes... hmm.. if all OK... count me in for seed
      BaalMcKloud

Activity: 106

View Profile WWW
      September 17, 2013, 04:29:45 PM

100Mbit/s FR SeedBox added

DeaDTerra
      Donator
      Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
      October 13, 2013, 09:10:17 PM

For some reason I can't get this to work.
      Can someone kind explain the steps I need to take from that I download the file to that I import the block into the wallet?
      So far it doesn't seem to recognize the file until I shut the wallet off and then I get an error message.
      //DeaDTerra
      pedrog
      Legendary

View Profile
      October 13, 2013, 09:22:54 PM

Can someone kind explain the steps I need to take from that I download the file to that I import the block into the wallet?
      So far it doesn't seem to recognize the file until I shut the wallet off and then I get an error message.
      //DeaDTerra

Well, I've made a symlink at .bitcoin directory to bootstrap.dat, but you can just paste the file into your bitcoin config files directory.

If linux: ~/.bitcoin

Edit: Check here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Data_directory

DeaDTerra
      Donator
      Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
      October 13, 2013, 09:26:02 PM

//DeaDTerra

Well, I've made a symlink at .bitcoin directory to bootstrap.dat, but you can just paste the file into your bitcoin config files directory.

Where do I want to paste it,
      The database directory?
      pedrog
      Legendary

View Profile
      October 13, 2013, 09:39:52 PM

//DeaDTerra

The database directory?

Nop, paste it in the main directory, then start Bitcoin-QT it should detect the file and start importing.

deepceleron
      Legendary

View Profile WWW
      October 13, 2013, 11:30:01 PM

//DeaDTerra

The database directory?

Nop, paste it in the main directory, then start Bitcoin-QT it should detect the file and start importing.

Nope, copy the bootstrap.dat file into the Bitcoin database directory, the same directory that contains your wallet.dat file. When you restart Bitcoin-qt, it will import all blocks from the bootstrap.dat that weren't previously downloaded.

pedrog
      Legendary

View Profile
      October 14, 2013, 01:38:43 AM

//DeaDTerra

The database directory?

Nope, copy the bootstrap.dat file into the Bitcoin database directory, the same directory that contains your wallet.dat file. When you restart Bitcoin-qt, it will import all blocks from the bootstrap.dat that weren't previously downloaded.

Well, that's the main directory:

$ ls .bitcoin/
      blocks  chainstate  database  db.log  debug.log  peers.dat  wallet.dat

bg002h
      Donator
      Legendary

Activity: 1358

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
      October 14, 2013, 02:47:57 AM

Wow that was fast...I'm a new seed (5 Mbit/s up)...

Hardfork aren't that hard.
      1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
      Moebius327

Activity: 700

ARNA | PreSale - September 21st

View Profile
      November 07, 2013, 12:32:46 PM

Wow that was fast...I'm a new seed (5 Mbit/s up)...

I downloaded the torrent in 65 minutes. WOW

██ ██ ██
      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██ ██ ██
      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██ ██ ██
      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██ ██ ██
      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██ ██ ██
      ██ ██ ██
      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██ ██ ██
      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██ ██ ██
      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██ ██ ██
      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██ ██ ██
      ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
      ▄█▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█▄
      ▄█▀░░░░░░░░██░██░██░░▀█▄
      ▄▀░░░░░░░▄▄░░░░░░░▄▄░░░░▀▄
      ▄█░░░░░░░░▀▀░░░░░░░▀▀░░░░░█▄
      █░░░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░░░█
      █░░░░░░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░░░░░░█
      █░░░░░░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░░░░░░█
      ▀█░░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░░█▀
      ▀▄░░░░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░░░░▄▀
      ▀█▄░░▀▀░░░░░░░░░░▀▀░░▄█▀
      ▀█▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄█▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
      ██ ██ ██
      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██ ██ ██
      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██ ██ ██
      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██ ██ ██
      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██ ██ ██
      [.
      .WHITEPAPER.
      .ANN THREAD.
      ]██ ██ ██
      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██ ██ ██
      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██ ██ ██
      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██ ██ ██
      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██ ██ ██
      Sukrim
      Legendary

View Profile
      November 07, 2013, 12:39:18 PM

I've seeded already in total for sure above 100 GB. Smiley

Would be great to have a new check point and also a new torrent soon. We're already ~18k blocks further down the road after all.

Please also consider creating an RSS feed that one can then subscribe to, once enough people do this, you can even swith to faster releases, as new torrents will be seeded much faster.

michagogo

Activity: 80

View Profile
      November 08, 2013, 01:31:46 PM

Would be great to have a new check point and also a new torrent soon. We're already ~18k blocks further down the road after all.

The checkpoints are hard-coded into the Satoshi client. New checkpoints can only happen at new releases of said client. Once that's released (or at least committed to the repo -- the timing is up to Jeff) a new torrent will presumably be made.
      pointychimp

Make it rain

View Profile WWW
      November 08, 2013, 02:37:52 PM

I will download and support this.

edit:

Can't get that linearize.py script to work and I haven't connected to anyone in the swarm yet. Sigh.
      botolo86

Activity: 198

View Profile
      November 13, 2013, 03:09:49 PM

I am so glad I found this thread. I had Bitcoin-QT open for several days and I was still so behind in downloading the blockchain!
      michagogo

View Profile
      November 13, 2013, 09:24:05 PM

I am so glad I found this thread. I had Bitcoin-QT open for several days and I was still so behind in downloading the blockchain!
      I'm beggining to think Bitcoin-QT should download the torrent itself!

Well, sipa (Pieter Wuille) is working on implementing headers-first syncing, where the client will start by downloading all the block headers from a peer, and once that's done, the downloading of block data can happen in parallel from multiple peers at once, making bootstrap.dat much less needed.
      BaalMcKloud

View Profile WWW
      November 13, 2013, 11:02:27 PM

1Gbit/s FR SeedBox added...

QuantumQrack

Activity: 339

View Profile
      November 16, 2013, 08:55:57 AM

Never thought I would be sending the blockchain to people in Nepal.  Crazy.  Grin Grin Grin Grin
      rmines

Activity: 140

View Profile
      November 29, 2013, 05:14:27 PM

Thanks a lot for creating this torrent and all those that are seeding!

♔ PrimeDice : The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
      Spare some change? 1LkqfvQTLAEiiCwTqkPRcvUdEmkCR11QDE
      XCASH

Activity: 775

View Profile
      December 04, 2013, 12:29:10 AM

Forgot to mention...  the following python util, linearize.py, was checked into the bitcoin repo today:

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/tree/master/contrib/misc

This tool may be used to recreate bootstrap.dat byte-for-byte identical with the bootstrap.dat in this torrent.

If you are running bitcoind locally, create bootstrap.dat locally, then start seeding the torrent immediately at 100%!

Hi,

I tried this link today, but I got a 404 file not found message. Is this download still available?
      deepceleron
      Legendary

View Profile WWW
      December 04, 2013, 01:09:02 AM

Forgot to mention...  the following python util, linearize.py
      I tried this link today, but I got a 404 file not found message. Is this download still available?
      You can create the bootstrap.dat with pynode. It will get it's own copy of the blockchain from a single IP (your own bitcoin), and you can then create the file with mkbootstrap.py.

jgarzik
      Legendary

View Profile
      December 04, 2013, 02:58:05 PM

linearize was moved to

agent13

Activity: 26

View Profile
      December 05, 2013, 01:28:03 PM

Will bitcoin-qt only recognize a bootstrap.dat file starting at block 1?

is it possible to use the python util to create a new bootstrap.dat starting at block 250001 ? For example - to update an off-line PC which has only had previous access to the 250k bootstrap.dat.

Creating a new 10gb+ file up to 270k+ seems silly when I only need to create the difference between the two (and easier to transfer to off-line PC).

Thanks.
      XCASH

Activity: 775

View Profile
      December 05, 2013, 06:21:48 PM

Thanks
      SteamGamesBTC.com

Activity: 663

View Profile WWW
      December 06, 2013, 12:41:19 AM

is it possible to use the python util to create a new bootstrap.dat starting at block 250001 ? For example - to update an off-line PC which has only had previous access to the 250k bootstrap.dat.

Creating a new 10gb+ file up to 270k+ seems silly when I only need to create the difference between the two (and easier to transfer to off-line PC).

Thanks.

Didn't test it out, but I believe this bitcoind command should be helpful for you:

Code:
      -loadblock=<file>      Imports blocks from external blk000??.dat file

Cheers.

<<< ░▒▓█ S t e a m G a m e s B T C . c o m █▓▒░ >>>
      <<< BUY STEAM GAMES & WALLET CARDS WITH BITCOIN + CHEAPER THAN RETAIL + AUTOMATIC DELIVERY* >>>
      deepceleron
      Legendary

View Profile WWW
      December 06, 2013, 04:39:31 AM

Thanks.

Bitcoin 0.8.5 has a checkpoint block in it at 250,000 and less checks are done when downloading or importing blocks before this point. After block 250,000, download/sync/import speed is usually CPU-limited.

Bitcoin looks for any file named bootstrap.dat when it starts up, imports the blocks from it, and renames it. If the blocks are duplicates, it will ignore them. If the blocks are unseen and continue from the last block, it will import them.

agent13

View Profile
      December 08, 2013, 11:42:38 PM

The linearize python script does not appear to have a method to accept a starting block height. I was not sure if Bitcoin-QT would recognize a bootstrap file not starting at block height 1. But it seems it does. This appears to work -

def get_blocks(settings):
              rpc = BitcoinRPC(settings['host'], settings['port'],
                               settings['rpcuser'], settings['rpcpass'])

outf = open(settings['output'], 'wb')

for height in xrange(settings['max_height']+1):
                  if height > 249999:
                      sys.stdout.write(str(height) + "\n")

It generated a 3GB bootstrap between 250-270k which Bitcoin-QT accepted.
      bg002h
      Donator
      Legendary

Activity: 1358

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
      December 09, 2013, 03:35:07 AM

I've seeded already in total for sure above 100 GB. Smiley
      I'm up to 1 TB!

I downloaded the torrent in 65 minutes. WOW
      And the bottleneck is probably your connection. I think this is perfectly downloadable in 10 mins.

I'm over 400 GB in < 30 days...wow!

Hardfork aren't that hard.
      1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
      manuel

Activity: 70

View Profile
      December 09, 2013, 05:12:09 PM

Seems like your computer is sick.

Run Linpack for a few hours, your computer will likely give inconsistent results, crash, hit 99 degrees C, throttle cores.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-math-kernel-library-linpack-download

A forum for it

I am interested in this too.  I had some flakey performance at times on one of my computers.  That forum has registration disabled.  Any other resources where I can compare notes on temperatures and GFLOP rating, etc. to see if everything is running as it should?

Thanks.
      deepceleron
      Legendary

View Profile WWW
      December 09, 2013, 06:17:23 PM

I am interested in this too.
      If you have a PC, an easy to use test is OCCT, it has several system-stressing tests that will report computation errors, and monitors temperatures and voltages while they run.

manuel

View Profile
      December 09, 2013, 06:44:18 PM

I am interested in this too.
      If you have a PC, an easy to use test is OCCT, it has several system-stressing tests that will report computation errors, and monitors temperatures and voltages while they run.

I have a mac but I was able to download this intel program from your link and run it successfully.  What I'm looking for is somebody I can compare notes with on performance and operating temps.  It's an intel core based mac so I suppose (but not sure?) the raw performance and operating temps should be comparable to any other computer with the same chip?
      Zammo

Activity: 119

View Profile
      December 09, 2013, 07:35:54 PM

I have added the torrent and the magnet link to 2 of my seedboxes, both 10GBit up/down and hosted by different providers.

None of the trackers are online and I haven't been able to download or seed bootstrap.dat Sad

Defend Freedom. You are the resistance!
      Sukrim
      Legendary

View Profile
      December 09, 2013, 08:05:30 PM

Both openbittorrent and publicbt do work for me, could it be that your "seedboxes" are not allowing BitTorrent traffic or maybe you have configured them in a way that they don't accept public torrent files/links?

Zammo

Activity: 119

View Profile
      December 09, 2013, 08:22:20 PM

Both openbittorrent and publicbt do work for me, could it be that your "seedboxes" are not allowing BitTorrent traffic or maybe you have configured them in a way that they don't accept public torrent files/links?

Yep, you are right. Both providers block openbittorrent. One of the providers has just moved to a new data centre, they didn't have openbittorrent blocked in their old one :/

Defend Freedom. You are the resistance!
      Sukrim
      Legendary

View Profile
      December 09, 2013, 08:25:13 PM

You could query the tracker(s) manually and just add 1-2 IPs to your client, PEX takes over from there. Smiley

Patel
      Legendary

Activity: 1278

View Profile WWW
      December 16, 2013, 01:29:07 AM

reformated my hard drive, using the torrent to download the blockchain. thnx
      QuestionAuthority
      Legendary

Activity: 1666

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
      December 16, 2013, 02:13:09 AM

This is nice and thanks: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/blockchain/

But what I really want to know is when you guys are going to settle on a way to prune the blockchain and implement it? Why can't full transactions be deleted from storage once all their outputs are spent if they're buried in the chain?

I use Electrum on my laptop but also keep a full node 24/7 on my home server that will hopefully keep me from connecting to a cancer node. So please don't answer with that scalability simplified payment verification client block height vs. depth crap. It's a simple question.

manuel

View Profile
      December 16, 2013, 09:15:13 AM

I use Electrum on my laptop but also keep a full node 24/7 on my home server that will hopefully keep me from connecting to a cancer node. So please don't answer with that scalability simplified payment verification client block height vs. depth crap. It's a simple question.

What's a "cancer" node?
      QuestionAuthority
      Legendary

View Profile
      December 16, 2013, 09:49:38 AM

What's a "cancer" node?

Backfilling the network with clients controlled by an attacker. The attacker nodes are called cancer nodes. Always up full nodes create constant connections that resist this type of attack. If the attack network was large enough clients starting up briefly to only make one or two transactions may only connect to cancer nodes. This would effectively create two networks. Thin clients are booted up briefly to perform transactions then closed. Too many thin clients supporting the network (running briefly and closing) create an environment for this attacks success. I run a full node 24/7/365 to ensure I always connect to the "real" network.

jgarzik
      Legendary

View Profile
      December 16, 2013, 02:51:12 PM

But what I really want to know is when you guys are going to settle on a way to prune the blockchain and implement it? Why can't full transactions be deleted from storage once all their outputs are spent if they're buried in the chain?

Bitcoin is only zero trust, if you can verify the entire transaction history.

QuestionAuthority
      Legendary

View Profile
      December 16, 2013, 05:06:13 PM

Bitcoin is only zero trust, if you can verify the entire transaction history.

I have zero trust in my bank but every transaction will not need to be verified throughout history. I only keep credit card receipts and bank statements for so many years. Why is the preservation of spent outputs so important that we will continue to allow them to make Bitcoin-Qt unwieldy? I would mind this less if I could see security enhancements that truly protect thin client or zero confirm transactions but I don't.

By the way, thank you for responding and for the hard work you do. I understand how busy you are and appreciate your time. I don't want to seem like a Microsoft customer bitching at a company that's getting rich from my purchases. I began thinking about this again while downloading the blockchain torrent for a friend that I convinced to began using Bitcoin. Every time I sit at a friends desk and explain the operation of the full client the same question pops up. "When will this be done? Can I turn off my computer now?"

DeboraMeeks

Activity: 588

View Profile
      December 16, 2013, 08:34:11 PM

Awesome! It will help me next time.
      And obviously it helps people who create a lot of bitcoind instances for themselves.
      michagogo

View Profile
      December 17, 2013, 04:19:57 PM

I have zero trust in my bank but every transaction will not need to be verified throughout history.

No, that's not true. You have 100% trust in your bank to hold your money for you. The bank says "you have this amount of money", and you believe that number. You don't control the money, the bank does.

On the other hand, Bitcoin *is* zero-trust. If you run Bitcoin Core, you're validating every piece of transaction information that you receive, and not trusting or believing anything just because someone tells you it's correct.
      QuestionAuthority
      Legendary

View Profile
      December 17, 2013, 05:25:14 PM

I have zero trust in my bank but every transaction will not need to be verified throughout history.

No, that's not true. You have 100% trust in your bank to hold your money for you. The bank says "you have this amount of money", and you believe that number. You don't control the money, the bank does.

On the other hand, Bitcoin *is* zero-trust. If you run Bitcoin Core, you're validating every piece of transaction information that you receive, and not trusting or believing anything just because someone tells you it's correct.

No, you're completely incorrect. A bank tells YOU that you have that amount of money and YOU believe that number. I do not.

Bank records and statements are accounting methods that need to be checked against your own records. If you're doing what I hope your mommy and daddy taught you when they helped you set up that shiny new first bank account, you are keeping a record of transactions (money you've spent and deposited) and reconciling that against the statement you receive from the bank each month. There is a tool I like to call a "checkbook register" to help you perform this task. That will ensure that the bank is keeping accurate records of your account and allow you to correct errors with the bank should you find an error or fraud against your account (zero trust). I have found errors in my account in the past, challenged my bank and they immediately corrected the error. If they fail to correct the error and you know they are wrong (because you don't trust them and keep your own record) you can still have the error corrected by using another tool I like to call "an attorney" to correct the error. Here is a fairly cheap book that can help you with a basic understanding of these concepts: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/listing/2691051713384?r=1&cm_mmca2=pla&cm_mmc=GooglePLA-_-Book_15To24-_-Q000000633-_-2691051713384

Record keeping should always be questioned even in Bitcoinland. However, there is a point in record keeping when the information (check register) is no longer valuable. That point is after reconciliation when the transaction is complete, it has been checked by both parties, those parties are in agreement and the information is not required for audit. It is then safe to dispose of your ledger and move on. I opened my first bank account (with the help of my mommy and daddy) in 1968. I no longer keep records of my transactions for that account because I would like to store automobiles in my garage instead of boxes of ledgers and they are unnecessary.

Bitcoinland banks which are uninsured and must be trusted completely are called "Wallet Services": inputs.io, MyBitcoin, Blockchain.info etc. Online banks that are insured to $250,000 of loss and deal with fiat are just called "banks" and include: Capital One 360, USAA, Flagstar, ally etc.

takagari
      Legendary

Activity: 826

View Profile
      December 17, 2013, 06:15:43 PM

It's to bad this is considered a public torrent, My Seed box won't allow me to seed it Sad

I'm trying to figure out where the damn file goes though lol

Patel
      Legendary

Activity: 1278

View Profile WWW
      December 28, 2013, 05:22:25 PM

How can you create your own bootstrap.dat with the latest block?
      deepceleron
      Legendary

View Profile WWW
      December 28, 2013, 07:57:47 PM

How can you create your own bootstrap.dat with the latest block?
      Just look at the previous page of posts for linearize or pynode references.

kashish948
      Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
      January 03, 2014, 05:27:09 AM

how much time does it take to "import from disk"?
      Subo1977

Activity: 345

View Profile
      January 03, 2014, 06:13:38 PM

a Tracker e.e. tracker.bitcoin.org would be good or a magnetlink on sourceforge

I provide a 1000Mbit+ Torrent-Seedbox in FR and a 500Mbit Box in NL for orginal Blockchain Bootstrap.dat download. and also for Armoryclient Torrent

Tips are welcome:  15MuGdPSXU62fEFE9XbBZN3UvJMHBDVBoy
      Subo1977

View Profile
      January 04, 2014, 11:47:23 AM

can an Admin put an actual bootstrap.dat.torrent on SFG ? the version there is from 08/2013. my Client say 41% after import and need to download 59 % from network.

many thanks

I provide a 1000Mbit+ Torrent-Seedbox in FR and a 500Mbit Box in NL for orginal Blockchain Bootstrap.dat download. and also for Armoryclient Torrent

Sukrim
      Legendary

View Profile
      January 04, 2014, 05:16:06 PM

I guess you mean "more current", not "actual"?

Anyways, the latest check point in bitcoin's source code is from block 250000, this is what this torrent contains. If you want a more recent checkpoint, feel free to create a pull request with a more recent hash, I guess we could have an updated torrent then as well.

I don't know how soon 0.9 will be released, most likely it will contain a more recent check point and this topic will be updated.

DeboraMeeks

Activity: 588

View Profile
      January 04, 2014, 08:07:07 PM

Still it doesn't import all the blockchain and need a day or more to get it fully updated. Isn't there a way to add an automatically updating torrent (or a program uploading a new one every few days).
      Sukrim
      Legendary

View Profile
      January 04, 2014, 09:33:59 PM

There could be an RSS feed, usually torrent clients assume that a new item there is a completely new file though, so it would not build upon existing data and lead to a lot of redundant downloads between seeders over time. Also a concern is that there might not be enough seeders anyways, if the file changes every few days (though that's not really a concern with RSS feeds...). Also verifiability of the file might be a bit more difficult, this one is quite proven compared to something that changes often.

I guess with recent improvements (header first sync) a lot of downloading issues of the client will anyways be gone, so I'm unsure if it would pay off to invest time into a better solution for bootstrap.dat files instead of just waiting for the next bitcoin-qt release that has the potential of coming up to sync very fast anyways.

shields

Activity: 164

View Profile
      January 04, 2014, 11:12:34 PM

Just a thought off the top of my head... thinking of an advanced bittorrent protocol where the torrent content data can be dynamically updated. For example the original publisher of the torrent could change the contents, and any clients seeding would recognise the changes, download them and continue seeding. The original uploader could prove their identity by having a unique private key for the torrent and sign a message with the changes.

Something like this would allow something like this bitcoin torrent to be regularly updated without requiring switching from an old torrent to a new one.

Does anything like this already exist?

If you liked this post -> 1KRYhandiYsjecZw7mtdLnoeuKUYoGRkH4
      Sukrim
      Legendary

View Profile
      January 05, 2014, 10:40:17 AM

Prorietary yes, check out btsync.

Bittorrent inc acts like huge jerks regarding open source development on that one though.

Otherwise bittorrent is really intended for static files, just imagine first offering a popular file and then switching it out for something illegal or something containing a backdoor or virus as soon as it gained traction.

It might be worth the time and hassle to decompile btsync and document their inner workings, to implement a open source version of it or something similar. After all it is mostly a way to share info hashes with certain nodes on the dht as far as I get it.

jgarzik
      Legendary

View Profile
      January 05, 2014, 01:43:29 PM

a Tracker e.e. tracker.bitcoin.org would be good or a magnetlink on sourceforge

can an Admin put an actual bootstrap.dat.torrent on SFG ? the version there is from 08/2013. my Client say 41% after import and need to download 59 % from network.

The latest torrent file is always available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/blockchain/

We don't want to run a tracker ourselves..  that introduces a centralize, single point of failure.

e4xit

View Profile
      January 07, 2014, 10:07:56 AM

Just a thought off the top of my head... thinking of an advanced bittorrent protocol where the torrent content data can be dynamically updated. For example the original publisher of the torrent could change the contents, and any clients seeding would recognise the changes, download them and continue seeding. The original uploader could prove their identity by having a unique private key for the torrent and sign a message with the changes.

Something like this would allow something like this bitcoin torrent to be regularly updated without requiring switching from an old torrent to a new one.

Does anything like this already exist?

This already happens with torrents, at least this torrent... When a new download for this torrent becomes available, simply choose to download to the location you still have your old "bootstrap.dat" file, you torrent client will 'verify' the first 'x'% of the data, up until the point new data is found. Then continue the download from there.

I have done this myself and can verify that it works.

This might only be applicable to certain data formats, for example the blockchain is extremely sequential, and data is only ever appended to the end of the file (AFAIK). But I do not know much about this an am open to correction on this matter from those who do.

Note: If you have used bootstrap.dat to import block data before it will be renamed to "bootstrap.dat.old" (or something similar). If you want to perform this little 'trick', make sure it has the name "bootstrap.dat" (the same as the torrent). Would also be prudent to ensure you have bitcoind/QT shutdown while you do this, in case it start trying to import while you download or whatever.

Just pointed my NL-hosted seedbox to this torrent so should have some more fast uploaders now anyway...

kavin2468

View Profile
      January 07, 2014, 11:43:50 PM

I know that bitcoin has been growing a lot but mine loaded about 20-25% of the blocks with my bootstrap.dat and then stopped to switch to "synchronizing with network." Soonafter my bootstrap file was renamed to .old so I figured it was done...that bootstrap is about a half a year old, has 75% of the bitcoin trading really been in the last 6 months???

1Dch1ZGdURjXbubZpUBg7pzqJ89NtLqUjW

Please help me out if you have some bitcoins to spare and think that I am a halfway decent human being! =D
      Subo1977

View Profile
      January 08, 2014, 09:16:43 AM

1000+Mbit/s FR SeedBox added

Subo1977

View Profile
      January 08, 2014, 09:19:27 AM

i would  make a actual bootstrap.dat and post the torrent link here.

Interrested?

Sukrim
      Legendary

View Profile
      January 08, 2014, 05:00:24 PM

I would not trust your and/or seed this file, also there are already a number of sites where you can download a more recent copy of the block chain anyways.

But I do not know much about this an am open to correction on this matter from those who do.
      As I said, to do this automatically, yuo need to use Bittorrent Sync, which uses BT technology but is currently closed source and in heavy development.

Subo1977

View Profile
      January 08, 2014, 07:46:31 PM

I would not trust your and/or seed this file, also there are already a number of sites where you can download a more recent copy of the block chain anyways.

But I do not know much about this an am open to correction on this matter from those who do.
      As I said, to do this automatically, yuo need to use Bittorrent Sync, which uses BT technology but is currently closed source and in heavy development.

you didnt need to trust because  bitcoind/bitcoinqt would trust them or not... , so he would trust downloaded blocks......

anyone who trust the the bitcoinsystem can download the bootstrap.dat ( up to block 279000) from the magnetlink here:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:F01BD4AD9255447678C1C90D4FADF1BE0E8F53A4&dn=bootstrap.dat&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.publicbt.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.ccc.de%3a80%2fannounce

Sukrim
      Legendary

View Profile
      January 08, 2014, 09:11:27 PM

IF there is actual bitcoin data in there, yes. Unless jgarzik finally gets around to extending the python script to deterministically also create torrent infohashes from blockchain data, I'd rather take no chances though.

deepceleron
      Legendary

View Profile WWW
      January 08, 2014, 09:22:19 PM

IF there is actual bitcoin data in there, yes. Unless jgarzik finally gets around to extending the python script to deterministically also create torrent infohashes from blockchain data, I'd rather take no chances though.

Please publish the SHA256 & MD5 of the final bootstrap.dat file that you created to 279000. I will be able to tell you if it can be independently created by others with identical data. I can recreate jgarzik's from network-downloaded blocks.

Blockchain data is fully signature-checked for all blocks since the last code checkpoint. This means that CPU, and not network bandwidth, is usually the limiting factor processing blocks 250,000 and on. It is not really beneficial to download more data before getting the Bitcoin CPU work started, which is why the torrent corresponds with the checkpoint.

Subo1977

View Profile
      January 08, 2014, 09:38:03 PM

Please publish the SHA256 & MD5 of the final bootstrap.dat file that you created to 279000. I will be able to tell you if it can be independently created by others with identical data. I can recreate jgarzik's from network-downloaded blocks.

Blockchain data is fully signature-checked for all blocks since the last code checkpoint. This means that CPU, and not network bandwidth, is usually the limiting factor processing blocks 250,000 and on. It is not really beneficial to download more data before getting the Bitcoin CPU work started, which is why the torrent corresponds with the checkpoint.

i made my with bitcoin / contrib / linearize  from bitcoin gitrepo

here the sum's:

md5: 8013a545e8d262a462fc33c5dd88951c  bootstrap.dat

SHA256: 1de3dc1a035aa82db6b75029de80a8d4fb8d4fe07ad16f085a9d30186b018b52  bootstrap.dat

Subo1977

View Profile
      January 09, 2014, 09:39:41 AM

i made my with bitcoin / contrib / linearize  from bitcoin gitrepo

here the sum's:

md5: 8013a545e8d262a462fc33c5dd88951c  bootstrap.dat

SHA256: 1de3dc1a035aa82db6b75029de80a8d4fb8d4fe07ad16f085a9d30186b018b52  bootstrap.dat

update:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:F01BD4AD9255447678C1C90D4FADF1BE0E8F53A4&dn=bootstrap.dat&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.publicbt.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.ccc.de%3a80%2fannounce

bootstrap.dat.torrent download:
      https://mega.co.nz/#!bQMR1YKQ!eix60XZmevco2kim6czKTxiPJrNBSQpNMILJRc1lpuw

jgarzik
      Legendary

View Profile
      January 11, 2014, 07:11:31 PM

Updated the torrent to block 279,000.  See top post.  Please start seeding the new one!

For existing seeders, just swap out your .torrent file with the new one, and you will resume at ~70% completion.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/blockchain/bootstrap.dat.torrent/download

Subo1977

View Profile
      January 11, 2014, 10:17:08 PM

Updated the torrent to block 279,000.  See top post.  Please start seeding the new one!

For existing seeders, just swap out your .torrent file with the new one, and you will resume at ~70% completion.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/blockchain/bootstrap.dat.torrent/download

Great work. THX. 

Switched my Seedboxes.

pointychimp

Make it rain

View Profile WWW
      January 12, 2014, 01:29:59 AM

The 250K bootstrap.dat saved me lots of time while I effed around with my server not realizing I was dealing with a bad hard drive. I was deleting all block data and reloading it from bootstrap.dat probably twice a day. I've overridden my global upload limit on the updated torrent so that I can help support this even better. Thank you.
      led_lcd

Activity: 262

View Profile
      January 12, 2014, 10:33:51 AM

Seeding with my 500 Mbps box.  Cool
      Subo1977

View Profile
      January 13, 2014, 11:28:46 AM

Add a 500 Mbps box in NL to my 1000mbps box in FR.

lets Rock

Chancellor

Activity: 154

View Profile
      January 13, 2014, 05:43:52 PM

I will be another seed in 2 hours Smiley.

BTC: 1GRx2H5esyFTucZCt1eX9tjpoqfMrbVHMT
      jgarzik
      Legendary

View Profile
      January 13, 2014, 07:26:24 PM

Suggestions for better trackers are always welcome.  Trackers appear and disappear, and I'm certainly not an expert on picking them.

Ideally we would use trackerless torrents (pure DHT), but that early experiment ended in failure.

Subo1977

View Profile
      January 13, 2014, 10:43:24 PM

or setup an own tracker at ee bitcoin.org or so...

jonathan

View Profile
      January 14, 2014, 05:10:04 AM

I just imported the key at http://bitcoin.org/jgarzik-bitpay.asc and then ran:

'$ gpg --verify'

... on the January 11, 2014 pgp signed text contained in the the first post of this thread. It just gave me the output:

gpg: Signature made Sat 11 Jan 2014 19:04:44 GMT using RSA key ID A2DB9CCA
      gpg: BAD signature from "Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@bitpay.com>"

Is anybody else getting this problem?
      Subo1977

View Profile
      January 14, 2014, 08:50:13 AM

I just imported the key at the http://bitcoin.org/jgarzik-bitpay.asc and then ran:

'$ gpg --verify'

... on the January 11, 2014 pgp signed text contained in the the first post of this thread. It just gave me the output:

gpg: Signature made Sat 11 Jan 2014 19:04:44 GMT using RSA key ID A2DB9CCA

Same here

Chancellor

View Profile
      January 14, 2014, 09:18:09 AM

Same here
      Does it mean the signature is forged?

BTC: 1GRx2H5esyFTucZCt1eX9tjpoqfMrbVHMT
      jonathan

View Profile
      January 14, 2014, 09:29:15 AM

It may mean the message we are getting at the browser is not the message Jeff signed.

If this is the case, then there often winds up being an innocent explanation for it, such as that forum software is introducing unwanted line-breaks into the message, or something like that. But at worst, it may mean someone has altered the message.
      Sukrim
      Legendary

View Profile
      January 14, 2014, 10:00:18 AM

Maybe it would be better if jgarzik would wrap the statement in [ code ] tags
      Code:
      like this
      as it preserves whitespace?

jgarzik
      Legendary

View Profile
      January 14, 2014, 10:59:26 AM

Updated OP to use a code block, and also posted the original GPG-signed msg at http://gtf.org/garzik/bitcoin/torrent-msg.txt

Let me know if sigs still fail.

jonathan

View Profile
      January 14, 2014, 11:07:49 AM

Hi Jeff,

This one gives a good sig:  http://gtf.org/garzik/bitcoin/torrent-msg.txt

... but the code block in this thread's OP is still bad. Diff check shows a line break at line four in the good message (ie., the file at gtf.org), whereas line four in this thread's OP code block goes straight to the text.

Thanks for attending to this Jeff. Smiley
      Subo1977

View Profile
      January 15, 2014, 09:35:33 PM

24 hours / 90 GB uploadet with my seedbox :-)

Subo1977

View Profile
      January 23, 2014, 02:56:49 PM

I add a new Torrent to my seeders:

A Bootstrap.dat containing the Blocks from 279000 to 282000 ( 460 MB).

Here the Magnet:
       magnet:?xt=urn:btih:6BDE914DB48DA35A2F9AFD5B08B4DC1DFF7DBA5B&dn=bootstrap_279000_up.dat&tr=http%3a%2f%2ftracker.ex.ua%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.publicbt.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=http%3a%2f%2fcoppersurfer.tk%3a6969%2fannounce&tr=http%3a%2f%2ftracker.ex.ua%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=http%3a%2f%2fi.bandito.org%2fannounce&tr=http%3a%2f%2ftracker.marshyonline.net%2fannounce&tr=http%3a%2f%2fexodus.desync.com%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.ex.ua%3a80%2fannounce&tr=http%3a%2f%2ftracker.tfile.me%2fannounce

and here is the .torrent

https://github.com/Subo1978/Bootstrap.dat

Have fun

StewartJ

Activity: 392

View Profile
      January 29, 2014, 11:50:45 PM

I add a new Torrent to my seeders:

A Bootstrap.dat containing the Blocks from 279000 to 282000 ( 460 MB).

Here the Magnet:
       magnet:?xt=urn:btih:6BDE914DB48DA35A2F9AFD5B08B4DC1DFF7DBA5B&dn=bootstrap_279000_up.dat&tr=http%3a%2f%2ftracker.ex.ua%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.publicbt.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=http%3a%2f%2fcoppersurfer.tk%3a6969%2fannounce&tr=http%3a%2f%2ftracker.ex.ua%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=http%3a%2f%2fi.bandito.org%2fannounce&tr=http%3a%2f%2ftracker.marshyonline.net%2fannounce&tr=http%3a%2f%2fexodus.desync.com%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.ex.ua%3a80%2fannounce&tr=http%3a%2f%2ftracker.tfile.me%2fannounce

and here is the .torrent

https://github.com/Subo1978/Bootstrap.dat

Have fun

Quick question: if we have already synced up to 279k blocks with our qt wallet, can we use your bootstrap_279000_up.dat file by itself
      to update the remaining blocks?

Or do we also need the entire bootstrap.dat additionally with previous blocks?

Thanks for your help!
      Stewart

EDIT:  This does work with the partial bootstrap file. I just had to make sure to re-start the wallet after adding the bootstrap file.
      Normally, I would be waiting for hours get these last 4k blocks synched in the wallet, now its just taking a few minutes.
      Thanks for the bootstrap file!!!

Shahrukh

View Profile WWW
      February 08, 2014, 07:33:06 PM

Where am I supposed to copy this bootstrap file first I did it in ~/.bitcoin folder and then ~/.bitcoin/database nothing makes any effect let me tell you I copied this file when bitcoin already synchronized few thousand blocks 

I turned everyone down Sad Sorry for that
      boiron

Activity: 42

View Profile
      February 12, 2014, 07:24:36 AM

Where am I supposed to copy this bootstrap file first I did it in ~/.bitcoin folder and then ~/.bitcoin/database nothing makes any effect let me tell you

Place bootstrap.dat in the bitcoin data directory and then start Bitcoin-Qt. It will read the file to create the blockchain. The file will be renamed to bootstrap.dat.old when this is completed to prevent reprocessing when Bitcoin-Qt is restarted.
      You can locate the data directory by reading this.

From : http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/19097/connecting-bootstrap-dat-to-bitcoin-qt

I copied this file when bitcoin already synchronized few thousand blocks  

You can use the bootstrap.dat torrent with no ill effects regardless of your current block. When you restart and Bitcoin sees the bootstrap.dat that you have dropped in it's data directory, any block hashes you already have will be skipped quickly, and the import will pick up at the blocks you don't have.
      From this current post

Paul
      wwdz99

Activity: 221

View Profile
      February 13, 2014, 06:39:15 AM

hi all

i download the torrent file ,but last long time the bootstrap.dat file couldnot be down complete.

now the downloaded rate about 70%,why?
      Drai

Activity: 284

MMM - International mutual financial platform

View Profile WWW
      February 14, 2014, 09:09:45 PM

I'm downloading
      Thank you all.
      It looks like a lot of time saved using them for more than a pc.

Harvest 30% interest a month, come and join us at MMM together to change the world financial system!!!
      MMM is a new type of investment project. Bitcoin can be used.
      After registration and first investment, the participants receive a bonus in the amount of 20$ to 100$
      VERY IMPORTANT!
      There is no сentral account, where all the money flows to (and where it can be easily stolen from :-)). All the money is distributed between the participants themselves! On a lot of thousands and millions accounts.
      I.e. the System completely belongs to people.
      jongameson

Activity: 84

View Profile
      February 14, 2014, 10:57:45 PM

you could make a shipload of money
      Shahrukh

View Profile WWW
      February 15, 2014, 02:01:32 AM

Where am I supposed to copy this bootstrap file first I did it in ~/.bitcoin folder and then ~/.bitcoin/database nothing makes any effect let me tell you

Place bootstrap.dat in the bitcoin data directory and then start Bitcoin-Qt. It will read the file to create the blockchain. The file will be renamed to bootstrap.dat.old when this is completed to prevent reprocessing when Bitcoin-Qt is restarted.
      You can locate the data directory by reading this.

From : http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/19097/connecting-bootstrap-dat-to-bitcoin-qt

I copied this file when bitcoin already synchronized few thousand blocks  

From this current post

Thanks for the help later on I figured out that my bitcoin daemon was older version which does not support sync with bootstrap I upgraded now and everything works fine

I turned everyone down Sad Sorry for that
      roslinpl
      Legendary

Activity: 1400

Cryptodesigner / cryptodeveloper

View Profile
      February 16, 2014, 12:08:33 AM

Hehe Smiley nice idea! Smiley Torrent the blockchain! Smiley

Nice.

[
      ]

██
      ██
      ██
      ██
      ██
      ██
      ██

░███████████████████████████████████░
      ███████░░░░░░░██████████░░░████░░░███
      ███████░█████░█████████░███░██░███░██
      ███████░█████░█████████░███░██░███░██
      ██░░░░░░█████░░░░░░█████░░░████░░░███
      ██░███████████████░██████████████████
      ██░░░░░░█████░░░░░░██████████████████
      ███████░█████░███████████████████████
      ███████░█████░███████████████████████
      ███████░░░░░░░███████████████████████
      ░███████████████████████████████████░

████░████░███░░████░████░░███████░░░░░░░████████░░███████
      ██████████████░████░████░█████████░░░░░█████████░█████████
      ████░████░████░████░████░████░████░░░░░████░████░████░░███
      ████░████░████░████░████░█████████░███░████░████░██████░
      ████░████░████░████░████░█████████░███░████░████░░████████
      ████░████░████░████░████░████░░░░░░░░░░████░████░░░░░░████
      ████░████░████░████░████░████░████░░░░░████░████░████░████
      ████░████░████░█████████░█████████░███░█████████░█████████
      ████░████░████░░███████░░░███████░░███░░████████░░███████
      ░░░░░░░░░░████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
      ░░░░░░░░░░██████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
      ░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████

██
      ██
      ██
      ██
      ██
      ██
      ██
      KyrosKrane

Activity: 295

View Profile WWW
      February 16, 2014, 09:13:01 PM

Just a note, your SSL certificate expired at end of January.  The site now pops up scary messages about untrusted connections if you try to download the file. Sad

Tips and donations: 1KyrosREGDkNLp1rMd9wfVwfkXYHTd6j5U  |  BTC P2Pool node: p2pool.kyros.info:9332
      Lauda
      Legendary

Activity: 1638

GUNBOT Licenses -10% with ref. code 'GrumpyKitty'

View Profile WWW
      February 20, 2014, 12:20:50 AM

This was needed, took me 20 hours to sync completely from the start.
      Keep updating it.

▄█████▄
              ▄█████████▄
            ▄████▀   ▀████▄
          ▄████▀   ▄ ▄█▀████▄
        ▄████▀   ▄███▀   ▀████▄
      ▄████▀   ▄███▀   ▄   ▀████▄
      █████   ███▀   ▄███   █████
      ▀████▄   ▀██▄▄███▀   ▄████▀
        ▀████▄   ▀███▀   ▄████▀
          ▀████▄       ▄████▀
            ▀████▄   ▄████▀
              ▀███  ████▀
                ▀█▄███▀
      |
      |
                ▄█████▄
              ▄█████████▄
            ▄████▀   ▀████▄
          ▄████▀   ▄ ▄█▀████▄
        ▄████▀   ▄███▀   ▀████▄
      ▄████▀   ▄███▀   ▄   ▀████▄
      █████   ███▀   ▄███   █████
      ▀████▄   ▀██▄▄███▀   ▄████▀
        ▀████▄   ▀███▀   ▄████▀
          ▀████▄       ▄████▀
            ▀████▄   ▄████▀
              ▀███  ████▀
                ▀█▄███▀
      unthy
      infofront
      Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
      February 20, 2014, 11:58:22 PM

So I downloaded this blockchain torrent and and ran bitcoind in a screen session on Sunday. A line of "y"s kept running down my screen, as if it's checking the file block by block? Anyway, I typed "ps aux" and it says that a procees called "YES" was using up almost 100% of one core, and screen was using up 56% of another.
      I just checked in on my VPS, and the thing is still maxing out almost 2 cores. Does anyone know what could be happening here?
      awesomeami

Activity: 98

View Profile
      March 02, 2014, 03:19:41 AM

pls make this thread sticky
      or @ least
      EDIT this https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=252937.msg2690447#msg2690447
      and include this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=145386.msg1542831#msg1542831

awesomeami

View Profile
      March 02, 2014, 03:26:13 AM

1Gbit/s FR SeedBox added...

Seeding with my 500 Mbps box.  Cool

Add a 500 Mbps box in NL to my 1000mbps box in FR.
      lets Rock

can u provide link pls?
      to ISP/hosting Co.
      ty

I wanna buy&pay&share&help.

awesomeami

View Profile
      March 02, 2014, 03:32:12 AM

reminder

+ can u pls update OP, so every1 can use it? ty 4 da tool

natenjo

Activity: 42

XAVIER COIN

View Profile
      March 02, 2014, 09:27:04 AM

If anyone can't use Torrents (thank you to my ISP..), but maybe has a Premium service (like premiumize.me, which also accept Bitcoin) you can Download the blockchain.dat here

http://uploaded.net/file/unaf0k07/bootstrap.part10.rar
      http://uploaded.net/file/4rr7h1m0/bootstrap.part09.rar
      http://uploaded.net/file/47ahu1lp/bootstrap.part08.rar
      http://uploaded.net/file/8nrhh5pz/bootstrap.part07.rar
      http://uploaded.net/file/m9nliz9z/bootstrap.part06.rar
      http://uploaded.net/file/7flq44wp/bootstrap.part05.rar
      http://uploaded.net/file/j54ewvqw/bootstrap.part04.rar
      http://uploaded.net/file/wei37exp/bootstrap.part03.rar
      http://uploaded.net/file/hl9p671r/bootstrap.part02.rar
      http://uploaded.net/file/ff90o09w/bootstrap.part01.rar

Paladino

Activity: 86

View Profile
      March 06, 2014, 12:25:17 AM

Backup here from the Torrent directly: http://uptobox.com/96wymisfbixf

For people who want to know about ISP in France providing 1Gbit/s home connection, it depends your location, if you are an enterprise, etc.. but you can check with FREE.FR, ORANGE.FR, NUMERICABLE.FR, etc.

Some also offer VPS, you can see with OVH.com

phrackage

Activity: 12

View Profile
      March 13, 2014, 02:19:23 PM

The problem with these torrents is that the peers can be seeding out of date versions.  People have to manually notice an updated torrent and go download that instead.  If we used Bittorrent Sync  (http://www.getsync.com) then a highly trusted member of the community could have the main 'secret' and everyone else who just wants to download can have the 'read-only secret'.

In fact that trusted member can also share it with a couple of other trusted members, so that any of a small group of people could update the bootstrap.dat, whereas the usual peers could only get the updates.

Like this, the file can just be updated and all the peers will notice and update their copy, downloading only the chunks that are different/new.  No new torrent needs to be distributed or freshly seeded.
      Sukrim
      Legendary

View Profile
      March 13, 2014, 04:21:13 PM

Sync is a closed proprietary system. No way I'm seeding anything there or even touch that binary.

felipelalli

Activity: 226

Hi! I am the Bitcoin Paranoid developer.

View Profile WWW
      March 18, 2014, 09:07:23 PM

I can't verify the signature of the original post. Why?

Code:
      felipelalli:tmp/ $ gpg --verify ~/tmp/jeff                           [18:04:06]
      gpg: Signature made Sáb 11 Jan 17:04:44 2014 BRST using RSA key ID A2DB9CCA

~ 1LipeR1AjHL6gwE7WQECW4a2H4tuqm768N

Bitrated user: felipelalli.
      felipelalli

View Profile WWW
      March 18, 2014, 09:16:10 PM

Well... From http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/blockchain/bootstrap.dat.torrent.gpg/download I found a good signature.

Code:
      felipelalli:~/ $ gpg --verify tmp/bootstrap.dat.gpg                  [18:14:44]
      gpg: Signature made Sáb 11 Jan 17:04:48 2014 BRST using RSA key ID A2DB9CCA
      gpg: Good signature from "Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@bitpay.com>"

jgarzik
      Legendary

View Profile
      March 19, 2014, 02:45:37 AM

It seems like pasting from the OP confuses PGP.

felipelalli

View Profile WWW
      March 19, 2014, 10:40:34 AM

Thank you! Could you try to verify the original post to see if it is a copy/paste problem or if it was hacked or something like that? I know is highly improbable, but I already saw everything in Bitcoin world.

Thank you again!

Felipe.

jsgayo

Activity: 476

View Profile
      March 19, 2014, 03:12:26 PM

Seeding this as much as possible!

jgarzik
      Legendary

View Profile
      March 19, 2014, 07:23:37 PM

Yes, "moar please"!  Seeding is very helpful on release day, of all days.

escrowguy

Activity: 99

View Profile
      March 19, 2014, 09:42:11 PM

link?

Smiley
      Kazimir
      Legendary

Activity: 1134

View Profile
      March 20, 2014, 01:18:32 PM

Does Bitcoin Core 0.9.0 support (recognize) newer bootstrap data, beyond 279000 blocks?

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
      Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
      jgarzik
      Legendary

View Profile
      March 20, 2014, 03:19:50 PM

Does Bitcoin Core 0.9.0 support (recognize) newer bootstrap data, beyond 279000 blocks?

All bitcoin versions recognize any valid block.  If you build your own bootstrap.dat, it can go beyond 279000 blocks, yes.

Sukrim
      Legendary

View Profile
      March 20, 2014, 03:22:36 PM

Maybe it is soon time for a new checkpoint or at least updated bootstrap file? There has been over 1 GB of transactions since the last one in January and that takes already quite some time to get and verify for new nodes...

jgarzik
      Legendary

View Profile
      March 20, 2014, 05:17:57 PM

The rough standard is an update every 3 months or so, out of an over-abundance of caution.

Kazimir
      Legendary

Activity: 1134

View Profile
      March 21, 2014, 10:45:34 AM

All bitcoin versions recognize any valid block.  If you build your own bootstrap.dat, it can go beyond 279000 blocks, yes.
      Oh, right, I thought I read somewhere that clients would only accept specific sets of bootstrap data (but that wouldn't serve any purpose now that I think of it). Thanks!

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
      Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
      roy7

Activity: 434

View Profile
      March 30, 2014, 04:04:33 PM

Is this the same torrent the official web site links at https://bitcoin.org/bin/blockchain/bootstrap.dat.torrent ?

RoyalMiningCo: Pools retired. Was fun!
      BaalMcKloud

View Profile WWW
      March 30, 2014, 08:23:30 PM

Is this the same torrent the official web site links at https://bitcoin.org/bin/blockchain/bootstrap.dat.torrent ?

checked...it is

jgarzik
      Legendary

View Profile
      April 01, 2014, 03:41:09 AM

Yes.  bitcoin.org will be the new official site.  It was "soft launched" (without announcement) as I was travelling and did not have time to adequately test, and then make updates.

It is also about time to roll another torrent.

I've also been considering adding a second torrent, which contains blocks/blk*.dat as you might find created by Bitcoin Core.  New installations could download this blk*.dat torrent, restart with "-reindex" option.  This will perform a zero-trust revalidation of all data, while eliminating the redundant copy of the bitcoin data (vs. bootstrap.dat).

jgarzik
      Legendary

View Profile
      April 14, 2014, 03:33:20 AM

Calling for pre-seeding of the new bootstrap.dat torrent: http://gtf.org/garzik/bitcoin/bootstrap.dat.torrent

The old 14G bootstrap.dat is 81% of the new 17G one, so remember not to erase the old file.

BaalMcKloud

View Profile WWW
      April 14, 2014, 10:58:05 AM

Calling for pre-seeding of the new bootstrap.dat torrent: http://gtf.org/garzik/bitcoin/bootstrap.dat.torrent

The old 14G bootstrap.dat is 81% of the new 17G one, so remember not to erase the old file.

100Mbit/s and 250Mbit/s+ Root added for seeding

jgarzik
      Legendary

View Profile
      April 14, 2014, 05:15:59 PM

The new torrent is now ready for public release.

Read the updated OP, and seed away!

Remember to reuse your old bootstrap.dat, which will start the new torrent at 81% (14G) of the new 17G torrent.

FreddyFender

Activity: 215

Shamantastic!

View Profile
      April 14, 2014, 07:03:24 PM

81%
      !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      thx Jeff!

Sledge

Activity: 56

View Profile
      April 14, 2014, 07:48:25 PM

Could someone explain why it is preferable to seed a torrent of the blockchain rather than just run a bitcoin full node? I run a full node and it sends between 500GB to 1TB a month of data to at least 70-95 connected clients. Yes, I opened port 8333 on the firewall/router.

Am I doing it wrong?
      jgarzik
      Legendary

View Profile
      April 14, 2014, 08:21:45 PM

Could someone explain why it is preferable to seed a torrent of the blockchain rather than just run a bitcoin full node? I run a full node and it sends between 500GB to 1TB a month of data to at least 70-95 connected clients. Yes, I opened port 8333 on the firewall/router.

It is preferable to run a full node.

The torrent is a workaround until "headers first sync" is implemented, at which point, it will be faster to download from the P2P network.

Today, the torrent makes some client syncs faster, and also lessens the load on the P2P network.  It is more useful for the P2P network to be used for distributing recent information.

grahvity

Activity: 147

View Profile WWW
      April 14, 2014, 10:29:28 PM

Holy crap! It's the fastest torrent I never downloaded

COINIGYProfessional Tools For Cryptocurrency Traders ◾️ The Rational Investor’s School For Trader Development
      jgarzik
      Legendary

View Profile
      April 15, 2014, 07:34:59 AM

Holy crap! It's the fastest torrent I never downloaded

hehe, good!  The idea is to get many long-term seeders.  If we have enough, most downloaders will see an immediate, fast download.  The torrent remains idle the rest of the time.

Sukrim
      Legendary

View Profile
      April 15, 2014, 08:51:36 AM

https://s3.amazonaws.com/bitcoinarmory-media/announce.txt seems to contain the link to their bootstrap torrent file. They plan to change it every 2-4 weeks though and have a handful of seedboxes they pay themselves... Also they use a central tracker and set the private bit on their torrent file, so there will be no DHT or PEX for clients who respect this (most do). To me this sounds more like a way to track Armory users and a privacy risk than anything else, I'd advise against seeding the Armory torrent "for fun" or to help them out unless you know what you're getting into.

Anyways, this could be made MUCH easier for everybody involved if people would actually read up a bit on RSS feeds for torrents! /rant

escrowguy

Activity: 99

View Profile
      April 20, 2014, 11:39:53 PM

best torrent ever  Cool

Smiley
      billysweird

Activity: 56

View Profile
      April 21, 2014, 12:58:11 AM

I'm downloading. Thank you.
      But it looks like a lot of time saved using them for more than a pc.

ShareCoin Free and Fair Distribution. SYTtAWj9VAUBuUpMU3Zn36pHkRJ3zXYVZA
      rgenito

Activity: 138

View Profile WWW
      April 21, 2014, 09:54:32 PM

does this bootstrap work on all Bitcoin Core platforms? (Windows, Linux, OSX...)

https://WallofCoins.com * A peer-to-peer market for buying and selling decentralized, Digital Currencies. Intelligent, trustworthy, and secure.
      Sukrim
      Legendary

View Profile
      April 21, 2014, 10:07:40 PM

It is the same blockchain everywhere, so yes.

QuantumQrack

Activity: 339

View Profile
      May 10, 2014, 07:56:24 AM

Block 300,000.  New torrent time?
      AtomicDoge

Activity: 103

View Profile
      May 10, 2014, 02:55:48 PM

Very important release here, thanks for this.

This change to 0.8.0 is sure to save terabytes around the net, I can't wait to understand how Bitcoin works again though since I thought we needed the chain...
      dan14941

:)

View Profile
      May 22, 2014, 12:45:24 PM

add these trackers!

Code:
      udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80

udp://tracker.publicbt.com:80

udp://tracker.istole.it:80

Plz

Tips: 1mehXPhT94ZGkuKR5erRBMGFhTfxqtQmU
      levino

Activity: 362

View Profile WWW
      May 25, 2014, 03:53:20 PM

Can anyone just give me a command for ubuntu to dump the blk* files into a bootstrap.dat file? I had such an example somewhere on the net but I am not able to find it anymore... Thanks!

BM-2cWwQnMzK9XFTjfn6jSRRJwTG8a2wooR9A
      www.coyno.com - www.bitcoinage.de
      illymoka

Activity: 100

View Profile
      May 25, 2014, 04:15:44 PM

I think the big question is, is there a way to make the default client act more like bittorrent when syncing? If someone can't mine at least they can let lots of people use their bandwidth.
      illymoka

Activity: 100

View Profile
      May 25, 2014, 04:22:06 PM

If bittorrent is faster, that says to me that the client should be faster, thus giving lower speed connections the chance to run a full client.
      LesterTheEight

Activity: 27

View Profile
      May 25, 2014, 08:35:27 PM

Is there a point to this torrent now that bitcoind block verification is optimized?
      adaseb
      Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile
      May 25, 2014, 09:22:41 PM

The good thing about this is that it reduces the CPU load also. Whenever downloading the data my CPU is running at 80% analysing the data.

Takes like 1 day to download and the computer can't be used.

FORTUNEJACK.COM[

9 BTC WELCOME PACK FOR 1ST 5 DEPOSITS
      FREE 1,000 mBTC daily for LuckyJack winners
      [

]
      sd

Activity: 730

View Profile
      June 07, 2014, 11:06:25 AM

It's time for an update of this.
      Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
      June 07, 2014, 04:44:22 PM

Thanks! Can you tell me how you can make a torrent from blockchain databases?
      Kindly,
              Muhammed Zakhir

Catmoonglow

Activity: 127

View Profile
      June 07, 2014, 04:48:38 PM

This would have been really fucking nice like 2 months ago.
      Sukrim
      Legendary

View Profile
      June 08, 2014, 09:49:11 PM

Thanks! Can you tell me how you can make a torrent from blockchain databases?
      Kindly,
              Muhammed Zakhir
      Read the first post in this thread... especially the section titled "Generate the file myself?".

sd

View Profile
      June 14, 2014, 10:29:37 PM

Right now anyone setting up a new client with this torrent will have to update over 10800 blocks the slow way.

We should be updating this torrent every 5000 blocks or so.
      2bluesc

Activity: 1

View Profile WWW
      June 15, 2014, 04:13:47 AM

Right now anyone setting up a new client with this torrent will have to update over 10800 blocks the slow way.

We should be updating this torrent every 5000 blocks or so.

If it's updated often enough, an RSS feed pointing to the torrent or magnet link some how would be handy to update bittorrent clients.  Don't know much about RSS feeds, but I've seen it in the past.
      rav3n_pl
      Legendary

Activity: 1352

Don`t panic! Organize!

View Profile WWW
      July 04, 2014, 06:41:46 PM

Looks like update needed Smiley
      I made a linear block chain up to 309000, 7zip it and put into torrent.
      It is like 12,3GB.
      My home upload is ~500kb/s so it will take some time to move it to better seeds... hopefully one day tops Smiley
      magnet link:
      Code:
      magnet:?xt=urn:btih:8347fcc3df300e5a31e2304442c128e308256dfc&dn=bitcoin309000&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.publicbt.com%3a80&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.istole.it%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fopen.demonii.com%3a1337
      Have fun Smiley

1Rav3nkMayCijuhzcYemMiPYsvcaiwHni  Bitcoin stuff on my OneDrive
      My RPC CoinControl for any coin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=929954
      Some stuff on https://github.com/Rav3nPL/
      Sukrim
      Legendary

View Profile
      July 04, 2014, 07:02:53 PM

No change to https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/src/checkpoints.cpp, no change to this file.
      I'm not going to seed some random stranger's torrent, sorry.

That being said, yes, it really could use an update + new checkpoint...

rav3n_pl
      Legendary

Activity: 1352

Don`t panic! Organize!

View Profile WWW
      July 04, 2014, 07:11:16 PM

Good point!
      It is my torrent. I just made it and seed it on my machine.
      If your torrent is showing up IPs you can see it is rav3n.dtdns.net Smiley
      But if you not need/want it - do not download!

1Rav3nkMayCijuhzcYemMiPYsvcaiwHni  Bitcoin stuff on my OneDrive
      My RPC CoinControl for any coin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=929954
      Some stuff on https://github.com/Rav3nPL/
      sd

View Profile
      July 06, 2014, 05:12:25 PM

I'm not going to seed some random stranger's torrent, sorry.

If you connect a full node to the bitcoin network you also download data from random strangers. As I understand it the data in this file is subjected to exactly the same checks as data downloaded by the bitcoin client itself. Should the data be misformatted it will be rejected. If some of the end blocks got reorganized the client will sort it out once it connects to the network proper.

Of course you are right to be paranoid but I don't see the need for this torrent to align with checkpoints in the code itself.
      Sukrim
      Legendary

View Profile
      July 06, 2014, 05:41:02 PM

After checkpoints there is little need to get data from a torrent file instead of the network itself, since it is likely a CPU or disk IO bound operation, not network speed.

Also with this other torrent file, there is no way for me (other than downloading the whole file and decompressing it) to recreate + verify it locally.

EpptEinK

Activity: 8

View Profile
      July 07, 2014, 11:40:22 AM

Hey, thanks for the torrent. I downloaded the file and placed it in my btc folder. I open the client and it says its importing the block from the disk, but nothing hapens, it still says 0 out of 309616 blocks processed. It´s been like that for 1 hour. Is this normal? Thank you Smiley

EDIT: OK, its now syncronizing and the bootstrap.dat changed the name to bootstrap.dat.old, still at 0 blocks...

NEW EDIT: It doesnt sync, what should I do? Thanks.