Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:24:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin blockchain data torrent  (Read 211091 times)
SteamGamesBTC.com

Activity: 734
Merit: 507

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2013, 12:41:19 AM

Will bitcoin-qt only recognize a bootstrap.dat file starting at block 1?

is it possible to use the python util to create a new bootstrap.dat starting at block 250001 ? For example - to update an off-line PC which has only had previous access to the 250k bootstrap.dat.

Creating a new 10gb+ file up to 270k+ seems silly when I only need to create the difference between the two (and easier to transfer to off-line PC).

Thanks.

Didn't test it out, but I believe this bitcoind command should be helpful for you:

Code:
-loadblock=<file>      Imports blocks from external blk000??.dat file

Cheers.

SteamGamesBTC.com
> Automatic 24/7 bot: purchase any Steam game 20% cheaper with Bitcoin! <

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2013, 04:39:31 AM

Will bitcoin-qt only recognize a bootstrap.dat file starting at block 1?

is it possible to use the python util to create a new bootstrap.dat starting at block 250001 ? For example - to update an off-line PC which has only had previous access to the 250k bootstrap.dat.

Creating a new 10gb+ file up to 270k+ seems silly when I only need to create the difference between the two (and easier to transfer to off-line PC).

Thanks.

Bitcoin 0.8.5 has a checkpoint block in it at 250,000 and less checks are done when downloading or importing blocks before this point. After block 250,000, download/sync/import speed is usually CPU-limited.

Bitcoin looks for any file named bootstrap.dat when it starts up, imports the blocks from it, and renames it. If the blocks are duplicates, it will ignore them. If the blocks are unseen and continue from the last block, it will import them.
agent13

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 11:42:38 PM

Forgot to mention...  the following python util, linearize.py, was checked into the bitcoin repo today:

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/tree/master/contrib/linearize

This tool may be used to recreate bootstrap.dat byte-for-byte identical with the bootstrap.dat in this torrent.

If you are running bitcoind locally, create bootstrap.dat locally, then start seeding the torrent immediately at 100%!

The linearize python script does not appear to have a method to accept a starting block height. I was not sure if Bitcoin-QT would recognize a bootstrap file not starting at block height 1. But it seems it does. This appears to work -

def get_blocks(settings):
        rpc = BitcoinRPC(settings['host'], settings['port'],
                         settings['rpcuser'], settings['rpcpass'])

outf = open(settings['output'], 'wb')

for height in xrange(settings['max_height']+1):
            if height > 249999:
                sys.stdout.write(str(height) + "\n")

It generated a 3GB bootstrap between 250-270k which Bitcoin-QT accepted.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 03:35:07 AM

I've seeded already in total for sure above 100 GB. Smiley
I'm up to 1 TB!

I downloaded the torrent in 65 minutes. WOW
And the bottleneck is probably your connection. I think this is perfectly downloadable in 10 mins.

I'm over 400 GB in < 30 days...wow!

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
manuel

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 05:12:09 PM

I'm running this on a Mac if that makes a difference. Seems like 0.8 is buggy.

Seems like your computer is sick.

Run Linpack for a few hours, your computer will likely give inconsistent results, crash, hit 99 degrees C, throttle cores.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-math-kernel-library-linpack-download

A forum for it

Or run this Windows software: IntelBurnTest

I am interested in this too.  I had some flakey performance at times on one of my computers.  That forum has registration disabled.  Any other resources where I can compare notes on temperatures and GFLOP rating, etc. to see if everything is running as it should?

Thanks.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 06:17:23 PM

I am interested in this too.
If you have a PC, an easy to use test is OCCT, it has several system-stressing tests that will report computation errors, and monitors temperatures and voltages while they run.
manuel

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 06:44:18 PM

I am interested in this too.
If you have a PC, an easy to use test is OCCT, it has several system-stressing tests that will report computation errors, and monitors temperatures and voltages while they run.

I have a mac but I was able to download this intel program from your link and run it successfully.  What I'm looking for is somebody I can compare notes with on performance and operating temps.  It's an intel core based mac so I suppose (but not sure?) the raw performance and operating temps should be comparable to any other computer with the same chip?
Zammo

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:35:54 PM

I have added the torrent and the magnet link to 2 of my seedboxes, both 10GBit up/down and hosted by different providers.

None of the trackers are online and I haven't been able to download or seed bootstrap.dat Sad
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 08:05:30 PM

Both openbittorrent and publicbt do work for me, could it be that your "seedboxes" are not allowing BitTorrent traffic or maybe you have configured them in a way that they don't accept public torrent files/links?

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Zammo

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 08:22:20 PM
Last edit: March 17, 2018, 07:41:35 PM by Zammo

Yep, you are right. Both providers block openbittorrent. One of the providers has just moved to a new data centre, they didn't have openbittorrent blocked in their old one :/
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 08:25:13 PM

You could query the tracker(s) manually and just add 1-2 IPs to your client, PEX takes over from there. Smiley

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 01:29:07 AM

reformated my hard drive, using the torrent to download the blockchain. thnx
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 02:13:09 AM

This is nice and thanks: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/blockchain/

But what I really want to know is when you guys are going to settle on a way to prune the blockchain and implement it? Why can't full transactions be deleted from storage once all their outputs are spent if they're buried in the chain?

I use Electrum on my laptop but also keep a full node 24/7 on my home server that will hopefully keep me from connecting to a cancer node. So please don't answer with that scalability simplified payment verification client block height vs. depth crap. It's a simple question.

manuel

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 09:15:13 AM

I use Electrum on my laptop but also keep a full node 24/7 on my home server that will hopefully keep me from connecting to a cancer node. So please don't answer with that scalability simplified payment verification client block height vs. depth crap. It's a simple question.

What's a "cancer" node?
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 09:49:38 AM
Last edit: December 17, 2013, 08:48:50 PM by QuestionAuthority

What's a "cancer" node?

Backfilling the network with clients controlled by an attacker. The attacker nodes are called cancer nodes. Always up full nodes create constant connections that resist this type of attack. If the attack network was large enough clients starting up briefly to only make one or two transactions may only connect to cancer nodes. This would effectively create two networks. Thin clients are booted up briefly to perform transactions then closed. Too many thin clients supporting the network (running briefly and closing) create an environment for this attacks success. I run a full node 24/7/365 to ensure I always connect to the "real" network.

jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 02:51:12 PM

But what I really want to know is when you guys are going to settle on a way to prune the blockchain and implement it? Why can't full transactions be deleted from storage once all their outputs are spent if they're buried in the chain?

Bitcoin is only zero trust, if you can verify the entire transaction history.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 05:06:13 PM

Bitcoin is only zero trust, if you can verify the entire transaction history.

I have zero trust in my bank but every transaction will not need to be verified throughout history. I only keep credit card receipts and bank statements for so many years. Why is the preservation of spent outputs so important that we will continue to allow them to make Bitcoin-Qt unwieldy? I would mind this less if I could see security enhancements that truly protect thin client or zero confirm transactions but I don't.

By the way, thank you for responding and for the hard work you do. I understand how busy you are and appreciate your time. I don't want to seem like a Microsoft customer bitching at a company that's getting rich from my purchases. I began thinking about this again while downloading the blockchain torrent for a friend that I convinced to began using Bitcoin. Every time I sit at a friends desk and explain the operation of the full client the same question pops up. "When will this be done? Can I turn off my computer now?"

DeboraMeeks

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 08:34:11 PM

Awesome! It will help me next time.
And obviously it helps people who create a lot of bitcoind instances for themselves.
michagogo

Activity: 80

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 04:19:57 PM

I have zero trust in my bank but every transaction will not need to be verified throughout history.

No, that's not true. You have 100% trust in your bank to hold your money for you. The bank says "you have this amount of money", and you believe that number. You don't control the money, the bank does.

On the other hand, Bitcoin *is* zero-trust. If you run Bitcoin Core, you're validating every piece of transaction information that you receive, and not trusting or believing anything just because someone tells you it's correct.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 05:25:14 PM
Last edit: December 17, 2013, 08:28:46 PM by QuestionAuthority

I have zero trust in my bank but every transaction will not need to be verified throughout history.

No, that's not true. You have 100% trust in your bank to hold your money for you. The bank says "you have this amount of money", and you believe that number. You don't control the money, the bank does.

On the other hand, Bitcoin *is* zero-trust. If you run Bitcoin Core, you're validating every piece of transaction information that you receive, and not trusting or believing anything just because someone tells you it's correct.

No, you're completely incorrect. A bank tells YOU that you have that amount of money and YOU believe that number. I do not.

Bank records and statements are accounting methods that need to be checked against your own records. If you're doing what I hope your mommy and daddy taught you when they helped you set up that shiny new first bank account, you are keeping a record of transactions (money you've spent and deposited) and reconciling that against the statement you receive from the bank each month. There is a tool I like to call a "checkbook register" to help you perform this task. That will ensure that the bank is keeping accurate records of your account and allow you to correct errors with the bank should you find an error or fraud against your account (zero trust). I have found errors in my account in the past, challenged my bank and they immediately corrected the error. If they fail to correct the error and you know they are wrong (because you don't trust them and keep your own record) you can still have the error corrected by using another tool I like to call "an attorney" to correct the error. Here is a fairly cheap book that can help you with a basic understanding of these concepts: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/listing/2691051713384?r=1&cm_mmca2=pla&cm_mmc=GooglePLA-_-Book_15To24-_-Q000000633-_-2691051713384

Record keeping should always be questioned even in Bitcoinland. However, there is a point in record keeping when the information (check register) is no longer valuable. That point is after reconciliation when the transaction is complete, it has been checked by both parties, those parties are in agreement and the information is not required for audit. It is then safe to dispose of your ledger and move on. I opened my first bank account (with the help of my mommy and daddy) in 1968. I no longer keep records of my transactions for that account because I would like to store automobiles in my garage instead of boxes of ledgers and they are unnecessary.

Bitcoinland banks which are uninsured and must be trusted completely are called "Wallet Services": inputs.io, MyBitcoin, Blockchain.info etc. Online banks that are insured to $250,000 of loss and deal with fiat are just called "banks" and include: Capital One 360, USAA, Flagstar, ally etc.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: