Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:23:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Legality of firearms sales utilizing bitcoins  (Read 2255 times)
gadman2 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 977
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 08:44:26 AM

I've been considering trying to find a niche in ffl transfers and the sale of firearms using bitcoin. Pawn shows can trade physical items for guns, would bitcoin be a problem?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Fortify
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1176

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 11:54:41 PM

The only problem really is how you track the bitcoin to USD and USD to bitcoin transactions - cashing out. It's still a new "tech" so regulations are taking a while to catch up. As long as you're tracking movement of funds into your business bank account and paying taxes on it you should be ok.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
DimensionZ

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Shit, did I leave the stove on?

View Profile
April 03, 2016, 05:26:53 AM

I think when trading guns you need to provide your ID to the merchant regardless of what currency you are paying for. So if you are hoping to trade in guns anonymously with Bitcoin I don't think this will be legal in the jurisdiction you are in but it's better to just ask around or consult a lawyer. 

gadman2 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2016, 08:27:05 AM

I plan on doing this fully legal with an FFL license. I just don't really see a large market for firearms with bitcoin. I do, however, see a problem with cashing out the BTC for USD to purchase the firearms because most services don't allow businesses with weapon sales to use their site, eg coinbase, bitpay...

Seems like bitstamp does.

European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
April 07, 2016, 11:40:39 PM

I don't see why it's gonna be a legal problem. Might be a terms and conditions problem. You'll have to cover your tracks if you're converting to USD. Exchanges and payment processors might get a little twitchy.
gadman2 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 02:52:21 AM

2nd question. Are there any problems after accepting bitcoin converting it back to cash using localbitcoins? I read a few articles about people being arrested for running unlicensed currency exchanges, I don't know if this would apply to me. I have set a goal of about 50k usd per year in sales at I figure at least 3 or 4k of that will be btc. There is no US regulated exchange like coinbase or circle, (I haven't checked bitstamp) that allows exchanges for businesses that sells firearms. Can I use localbitcoins.com as my exchange without any legal issues?

Thanks.

gadman2 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 12:53:00 AM

Bumps.

AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 01:14:22 AM

2nd question. Are there any problems after accepting bitcoin converting it back to cash using localbitcoins? I read a few articles about people being arrested for running unlicensed currency exchanges, I don't know if this would apply to me. I have set a goal of about 50k usd per year in sales at I figure at least 3 or 4k of that will be btc. There is no US regulated exchange like coinbase or circle, (I haven't checked bitstamp) that allows exchanges for businesses that sells firearms. Can I use localbitcoins.com as my exchange without any legal issues?

Thanks.

It depends on where you are located and whether that country/state has
laws about money transmission. Also, what are the laws about the sale of guns?
Are you a registered gun seller? Are you performing background checks?

If you accept btc as currency for your business, normally you would use
something like bitpay or whatever to convert to USD, not LBC.

It really is a complicated issue depending on what laws apply there,
especially since the sale of guns is involved.

If you are a serious business, you should contact a lawyer with such knowledge
within your jurisdiction, to be advised of all issues properly.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
gadman2 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 10:07:56 AM

It depends on where you are located and whether that country/state has
laws about money transmission. Also, what are the laws about the sale of guns?
Are you a registered gun seller? Are you performing background checks?

All gun sales are legal, I will soon be an registered FFL in Arkansas, although gun sale laws are mostly federal and not state.

If you accept btc as currency for your business, normally you would use
something like bitpay or whatever to convert to USD, not LBC.

Bitpay does not allow the sales of firearms through their site, nor most others.

It really is a complicated issue depending on what laws apply there,
especially since the sale of guns is involved.

That's why I'm here.

If you are a serious business, you should contact a lawyer with such knowledge
within your jurisdiction, to be advised of all issues properly.

There are much cheaper alternatives to a lawyer. Also, "bitcoin" lawyers are hard to come by.

BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 1242

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2016, 08:35:14 PM
Last edit: April 28, 2016, 12:50:06 AM by BayAreaCoins

All gun sales are legal, I will soon be an registered FFL in Arkansas, although gun sale laws are mostly federal and not state.

I live in Arkansas as well... in fact I think my old house was right down the street from you if I recall.

I called the state after the Shreveport father/son got in trouble in regards to the unregistered exchange.  They said as long as you aren't:

A:  Brokering Bitcoin deals between different parties.

B:  Selling Bitcoin as an investment.

C:  Not running a website exchange.

Then you wouldn't have any problem selling peer to peer.

I spoke to the traders who got in trouble and they said it was the FEDS who fucked with them... not the state. (localbitcoins.com/p/internet151)

Should be fine dealing with Bitcoins and guns.  I've sold a handful of guns for Bitcoin with no issues.

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
gadman2 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2016, 12:24:48 AM

Alrighty, thanks.

AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 28, 2016, 03:00:04 AM

Alrighty, thanks.

Since you are a legitimate gun sale business and due to the complexities of this matter,
I would still recommend that you contact a lawyer within your jurisdiction who is knowledgeable
about money transmission in large amount in relation to sale of guns. There are probably legal
reasons why businesses such as bitpay do not accept BTC conversions from gun sale businesses.
It is most likely not related to moral or ethical issues but due to other legal regulations.

If you accepted BTC as payment for guns, you are fine. The legal issues stem from when you decide
as a business, to convert that BTC into fiat. There are potential other issues as well. Personally,
I would not recommend accepting BTC as payment for your guns at this time, in your state.
Depending on the interpretation, you may still need a money transmission license.

The question you need to ask is if accepting BTC and not getting a proper legal opinion beforehand
to save money, outweighs the risk of governmental legal action & hurting your life/business.

Of course, I am not providing a legal opinion and I have made you aware that you should seek out
counsel within the jurisdiction in which you wish to do this business and seek a legal opinion as to
these and other potential issues.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 1242

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2016, 03:10:20 AM

Alrighty, thanks.

Since you are a legitimate gun sale business and due to the complexities of this matter,
I would still recommend that you contact a lawyer within your jurisdiction who is knowledgeable
about money transmission in large amount in relation to sale of guns. There are probably legal
reasons why businesses such as bitpay do not accept BTC conversions from gun sale businesses.
It is most likely not related to moral or ethical issues but due to other legal regulations.

If you accepted BTC as payment for guns, you are fine. The legal issues stem from when you decide
as a business, to convert that BTC into fiat. There are potential other issues as well. Personally,
I would not recommend accepting BTC as payment for your guns at this time, in your state.
Depending on the interpretation, you may still need a money transmission license.

The question you need to ask is if accepting BTC and not getting a proper legal opinion beforehand
to save money outweighs the risk of governmental legal action & hurting your life/business.

Of course, I am not providing a legal opinion and I have made you aware that you should seek out
counsel within the jurisdiction in which you wish to do this business and seek a legal opinion as to
these and other potential issues.

You won't need a money lic in order to receive Bitcoin payment for goods.

Just sell that shit man and ship it FFL to FFL. Cheesy

Sell the Bitcoins to me or other peer to peer folks.

I love the way Bitcoins feel after a legal firearm trade.

Arkansas is hands down one of the best places to be selling firearms from and the best laws. 

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: