Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 06:55:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone here ever run for a local office?  (Read 867 times)
21after2 (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 16

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 04:55:03 AM

I'm thinking of running for city council in my town. Right now I've been doing some preliminary research (going to city council meetings, reading books on local government and campaigning, etc.), but I'm hoping someone with experience coule give me some first hand knowledge about what to expect and prepare for.
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MooC Tals

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 04:59:07 AM

I'm thinking of running for city council in my town. Right now I've been doing some preliminary research (going to city council meetings, reading books on local government and campaigning, etc.), but I'm hoping someone with experience coule give me some first hand knowledge about what to expect and prepare for.

My only experience would come from watching "house of cards" from netflix.

Make sure your not having a drinking, gambling and or prostitute problem. Carry scissors for the red tape.

Good luck
ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2013, 12:17:49 PM

I've been an elected official. I walked in to the town office on the last day of filing, asked to see the filing sheets, paid the dollar, and put my name down for a position that no one was running in. Won easily  Grin

Of course it did help some that I'd been active in the community, working as a volunteer reporter for the community newspaper. I'd also attended many of the board of selectman (town council) meetings as well as most of the school board meetings. Even though I haven't lived in that town for over 3 years now, when I go back a lot of folks remember me and ask how I've been.

Step one, before even deciding what to run for is to be active in the community. Get known by locals as a good and helpful person. Volunteer for things. Build up a good reputation.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
Snipes777

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 02:35:28 PM

Adam Kokesh ran for office. He has a show from 9-12 on weeknights and you can skype in and I am sure he will give you some pointers from his experience. www.adamvstheman.com/live/

Voluntaryism- The belief that ALL human interactions should be free of force, fraud and coercion.
Taxation is Theft; War is Murder; Incarceration is Kidnapping; Spanking is Assault; Federal Reserve Notes are Counterfeiting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntaryism
cadillac

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 02:50:44 PM

I ran for committeeman and won but because of the number of votes I got (vs my long term opponent) I think it was a case of "same name" mistaken identity.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 03:37:16 PM

Forum user mndrix ran for office recently.  He operated CoinPal (selling bitcoins, with payment through PayPal ... before PayPal froze his accounts):

- http://www.bitcoinmoney.com/post/508616700
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=93770.0

He also ran CoinCard cash-out service (to PayPal and to gift cards).

His profile:
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=2538

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

dotcom

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 06:27:07 PM

My only experience would come from watching "house of cards" from netflix.

^ this
21after2 (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 16

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 10:09:48 PM

I've been an elected official. I walked in to the town office on the last day of filing, asked to see the filing sheets, paid the dollar, and put my name down for a position that no one was running in. Won easily  Grin

Of course it did help some that I'd been active in the community, working as a volunteer reporter for the community newspaper. I'd also attended many of the board of selectman (town council) meetings as well as most of the school board meetings. Even though I haven't lived in that town for over 3 years now, when I go back a lot of folks remember me and ask how I've been.

Step one, before even deciding what to run for is to be active in the community. Get known by locals as a good and helpful person. Volunteer for things. Build up a good reputation.

That's the plan! Smiley I've been going to city council meetings to see what really matters to the community, and I plan on visiting local businesses after tax season to see what concerns or complaints they have. I'm also seeking appointment on the Economic Development Committee so I can start working with some of the businesses in the area.

What position did you run for?

Adam Kokesh ran for office. He has a show from 9-12 on weeknights and you can skype in and I am sure he will give you some pointers from his experience. www.adamvstheman.com/live/

I'll definitely ask him a few! Thanks!

Forum user mndrix ran for office recently.  He operated CoinPal (selling bitcoins, with payment through PayPal ... before PayPal froze his accounts):

- http://www.bitcoinmoney.com/post/508616700
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=93770.0

He also ran CoinCard cash-out service (to PayPal and to gift cards).

His profile:
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=2538

Is he still active on the forums? Looks like his last posts were in September. I wonder if he won the election?
ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2013, 02:04:30 AM

That's the plan! Smiley I've been going to city council meetings to see what really matters to the community, and I plan on visiting local businesses after tax season to see what concerns or complaints they have. I'm also seeking appointment on the Economic Development Committee so I can start working with some of the businesses in the area.

What position did you run for?

Well, the one I got elected to was Trustee of the Trust Funds. Basically just observing the accounting of the town's funds, including where they're invested.

I did foolishly run for Congress several years prior in another state. I spent $2,000 of my own money on the race, but the guy that won loaned his campaign $150,000 - lesson learned, never use your own money unless its an investment. I'm sure his investment has paid off hugely, and not just in the interest he probably charged his campaign.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
Merralea

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 03:14:12 AM

I did foolishly run for Congress several years prior in another state. I spent $2,000 of my own money on the race, but the guy that won loaned his campaign $150,000 - lesson learned, never use your own money unless its an investment.
How is that even...
 Sad lawyers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: