Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:47:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC awareness  (Read 1461 times)
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 09:05:49 AM

Hi guys,
I'm going to be making stickers out of this thing to increase BTC awareness. They are designed to be on a stop sign (so clever!). I plan to distribute a good amount for free.I have to figure out pricing, etc. But I will make no profit, and I'm even willing to do it out of my own pocket. I just wondered what you think?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DobZombie

Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 09:33:38 AM

what does CHASING PAPER mean?

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 11:24:48 AM

what does CHASING PAPER mean?
+1  Huh
vdragon

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2013, 12:22:49 PM

I suppose it means  that people should not be chasing printed money, at least thats how i get it. But if we dont get the point, i dont think regular people will

My USB Erupter GROUP BUY https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=252180.0

Hungary (south) based trader - accepting/sending bank transfers, also willing to meet in person
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 07:57:28 PM

Paper=Fiat Money
I couldn't think of a better way to succinctly put it. Any suggestions?
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 08:02:23 PM

Paper=Fiat Money
I couldn't think of a better way to succinctly put it. Any suggestions?

How about "Honest Money - Bitcoin"

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 08:04:18 PM

How about not vandalising your neighbourhood?  Huh
Akka
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 08:06:20 PM

That's even better.

Not Vanadalize your neighbourhood

BTC

Bitcoinme.com

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 08:06:51 PM

That's even better.

Not Vanadalize your neighbourhood

BTC

Bitcoinme.com

I'd buy it.
MKEGuy

Activity: 154

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 09:00:41 PM

Like everyone says, your heart is in the right place and that is great.  But to shed bad light on cryptocurrency any further then what is already available to people who do not know or do not believe is not the best way to go about things.  Keep thinking though!

If you have >100 posts play the Circle of Trust Game  If I have helped you in any way, or you are just feeling generous... please feel free to donate! Smiley LNarfMNLyymkS9WYQFLcmr46AeMYNP8Qj2
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 02:50:25 AM

Jesus, you again? How bout not commenting on every post I make.
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 02:54:46 AM

If you want to call it vandalizing, go ahead. Lots of companies call it "Urban Marketing". You've never seen a PETA one? Whatever, I'm going to do it. The more people turned on to Bitcoins, the more money they'll be worth. And "greyhawk" if you reply to this you truly have no life, in front of everyone reading this I am kindly asking you to leave my posts alone. When you comment on every single post I make, in completely different threads, its a bit scary. Find someone else to pick on.
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 03:38:00 AM

It's also how the company "Obey" became popular. I'm not running around breaking windows and spray painting BTC everywhere. I'm putting a 3" x 2" sticker on a road sign. If anybody wants one, PM and I'll send you one. I don't think any sticker on a stop sign will turn the public tide against Bitcoins-if I did I wouldn't be doing this.
MKEGuy

Activity: 154

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 03:54:45 AM

Do you have any idea how unpopular or up for constant ridicule or complete lack of respect nearly every organization falls under that takes part in the vacillation?  Its great your out there trying to push it forward, but think about your actions before you make the move.  If a majority of the people >IN< Bitcoin are telling you no - what the heck do you think people outside of Bitcoin are going to think.?

Your heart is in the right spot, dont just stop at this idea because you want to be stubborn about it and you think its the best idea ever.  I promise you any person who has a lot of good ideas, also has a lot of bad ones.  Cryptocurrencies have an up hill battle, and all your going to do with this plan is further fence us in to the notion of being part of the underground world that the majority do not want any part in.  Unfortunately for a large scale adoption - you need those people too, they spend a lot of money!

If you have >100 posts play the Circle of Trust Game  If I have helped you in any way, or you are just feeling generous... please feel free to donate! Smiley LNarfMNLyymkS9WYQFLcmr46AeMYNP8Qj2
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 04:21:45 AM

Do you have any idea how unpopular or up for constant ridicule or complete lack of respect nearly every organization falls under that takes part in the vacillation?  Its great your out there trying to push it forward, but think about your actions before you make the move.  If a majority of the people >IN< Bitcoin are telling you no - what the heck do you think people outside of Bitcoin are going to think.?

Your heart is in the right spot, dont just stop at this idea because you want to be stubborn about it and you think its the best idea ever.  I promise you any person who has a lot of good ideas, also has a lot of bad ones.  Cryptocurrencies have an up hill battle, and all your going to do with this plan is further fence us in to the notion of being part of the underground world that the majority do not want any part in.  Unfortunately for a large scale adoption - you need those people too, they spend a lot of money!
I just find it incredible that so many people are SO critical of this idea. Do you really believe it is going to bring such bad publicity to the BTC? What people know of Bitcoins, if they know of Bitcoins is that they are used primarily to buy DRUGS (even though I don't need to say it, Silk Road). By putting "bitcoinme.com" out there people will be able to better understand the Bitcoin and realize its commerce involves more than just drugs.
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 06:37:33 AM

BUT if the "Bitcoin Community" is so against it I won't do it. I'm certainly not trying to burn any bridges over a sticker.
Akka
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 11:01:13 AM

I'm basically not a big fan of this Idea. And Peta is really a bad example.

But if you really want to do it, consider something: Next to nobody will see this sticker and remember to visit bitcoinme.com the next time he is on a browser. Because of the Slogan "Chasing Paper".

Make a sticker with a few key words that immediately spark interest.

And include a QR-Code that people can scan with their phone and get to your site. It's 2013.

Here is one:

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 11:07:12 AM

its going on a stop sign, so it will read "stop chasing paper"

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Jaw3bmasters

Activity: 196

Another block in the wall

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 11:51:23 AM

Raise cash/donations then order a billboard space. More official, hard to miss. Heck, make the logo glow in the dark....

In Cryptography we trust.
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 10:47:10 PM

Raise cash/donations then order a billboard space. More official, hard to miss. Heck, make the logo glow in the dark....
Thats a good idea. With a bigass QR code you can scan from the car lol.
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 11:00:32 PM

+1, thank you. Even though I'm not doing it I believe it would be effective. Of course people would see it...its on a Stop Sign. But I'll respect the BTC community (you guys are the BTC community) and pursue means of advertising Bitcoins that do not involve "defacing" (for lack of a better term) any property.
I'm curious though-in your guys' opinion, what will [inevitably] attract more people to BTC, and how long will it take?
surebet

Activity: 495
Merit: 507

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 11:44:59 PM

Thats a good idea. With a bigass QR code you can scan from the car lol.

Great, more people fucking around with their cellphones while they drive.

On the whole sticker thing, be aware that you can be held responsible for the costs of removing the stickers (which leave hard as shit residue to take off) from stop signs worth quite a bit of money. Add to that vandalizing public property.

You're a pandora's box of great ideas, aren't you.

SO CLEVER!
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 12:41:18 AM

+1, thank you. Even though I'm not doing it I believe it would be effective. Of course people would see it...its on a Stop Sign. But I'll respect the BTC community (you guys are the BTC community) and pursue means of advertising Bitcoins that do not involve "defacing" (for lack of a better term) any property.
I'm curious though-in your guys' opinion, what will [inevitably] attract more people to BTC, and how long will it take?

Stop signs are payed for with stolen money. in a way that stop sign belongs to you more than it does the people who actually claim ownership of it.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
surebet

Activity: 495
Merit: 507

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 01:01:21 AM

Stop signs are payed for with stolen money. in a way that stop sign belongs to you more than it does the people who actually claim ownership of it.

Oh lawdy, one of you people.

Alright, let's assume I'll go along with the whole "taxes are theft" thing, and that sign does indeed belong to you. It also belongs to everyone else in the town.

You wouldn't stick crap on other people's things, so why stick it on people's shared things, especially since it'll be removed at your cost via taxes/stolen money.
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 01:42:40 AM

Oh lawdy, one of you people.

Alright, let's assume I'll go along with the whole "taxes are theft" thing, and that sign does indeed belong to you. It also belongs to everyone else in the town.

You wouldn't stick crap on other people's things, so why stick it on people's shared things, especially since it'll be removed at your cost via taxes/stolen money.

accepted for validity, assuming your neighbors minded

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: