Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 12:53:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What state are we in right now?
Optimism
Excitement
Thrill
Euphoria
Anxiety
Denial
Fear
Desperation
Panic
Capitulation
Despondency
Depression
Hope
Relief
I'll vote later, just show me the results

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Poll] Where are we in the Investor's Emotion Cycle?  (Read 3213 times)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 09:00:14 PM

There is something that has never been discussed in a speculation thread:

The large number of businesses dealing with bitcoin, making miners, hard wallets, tablets etc, large pools like deepbit that doesn't make a lot of money on mining anymore have a lot of BTC or are dependent of the price not crashing.

If you have hundreds of thousands or even more $$ invested in some business, you  would try to make an agreement with other players to not let the price drop too far either agreeing on a minimum buy back price or promising not to take out profits dispropotionate to the market cap.

If the current "big Bitcoin business world" were all cut throat, trying to undercut each other on the exchanges, there would be carnage, not a good environment for building an economy.

So there must exist some kind of gentleman agreement at least, otherwise there would be more sense in a coordinated pump and dump as a business model.

that of course implies that we have a silent Bitcoin elite playing the role of the FED?

There's just one problem with this cartel-like structure you're hypthesizing about: it wouldn't work. Picture the temptation for one of the "members" to break the holy rule and sell below the set price (assuming market dropped below the set price because of some bears selling or something)... it would be huge. Miners need to sell at some point (maybe not so much with asics, investment already made, power cost not such a huge factor yet).

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 09:42:05 PM

I understand your argument but why isn't it happning now then? Do every big Bitcoin business have a guy employed with the finger hovering over the button ready to liquidate all BTC assets if the buy side suddently shrinks?

These people are Bitcoin idealists also and take a great responsibility in making Bitcoin work and some of them know each other and talk about how the Bitcoin future will be.

So my post was not about some sinister conspiracy, just that early adopters or people with a lot invested proffesionally have a great motivation not to see a second crash.

You can also consider this in another way: If there is no gentlemens agreement, it would be double risk to keep liquidity in Bitcoin at the same time you are building a business that depends on bitcoin. You would loose both your market and your holdings if there is a large correction. So if an ASIC producer like NZG or BFL have any sense they will raise the capital in Dollars or Huan outside the Bitcoin economy.

That will have the same effect as if they were agreeing on not undercutting each other, as the investors backing them understands the risk of exchange rate fluctuations and must be willing to throw in more $$ if needed maybe even buying Bitcoins directly.

So the Gox exchange rate is pehaps misleading as there must be a hidden backing to Bitcoin that's not visible in the orderbook Both in Dollars or Bitcoin.

I requested some inputs a few days ago on the value of the main BTC businesses. Of course they don't have to tell, but by the time they file they tax returns, they should be able to supply some key figures so we all can get a sense of this larger part of the economy.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 10:07:13 PM

The "one big manipulator" theory is akin to "Godwin's Law" for internet arguments, it always shows up in any bitcoin trading discussion.

Move along, nothing to see here...

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 10:16:36 PM

Have you considered that big businesses built around bitcoin are built by people who believe in the idea? Not pure idealists, of course they want to profit from it - but they see the potential, and strongly believed in it way before the herd, invested their time and money in it, built a product which existence depends solely on bitcoins prosperity.

Now, why would those people SELL ALL suddenly to gain some measly dollars? I can only see one reason, if they suddenly become insane. For such occasions, free market is enough to handle the dump, no special agreements needed.

There are legitimate reasons - if for example they need to dump a significant amount of BTC to purchase, say, a private jet or something similarly stupid which is only sold in fiat world, there are quite a few ways to trade these coins without hitting an exchange, therefore without affecting the price.

i am satoshi
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 10:24:40 PM

Please explain why you are using all this oldschool stockmarket memes in bitcoin forum?
Is bitcoin the wallstreet or something - i really do not think so!

Based on what i see it tries its hardest to be wall street. Imitation of it bigtime in so many ways.
Luno

Activity: 504

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 10:26:07 PM
Last edit: February 21, 2013, 11:01:00 PM by Luno

Have you considered that big businesses built around bitcoin are built by people who believe in the idea? Not pure idealists, of course they want to profit from it - but they see the potential, and strongly believed in it way before the herd, invested their time and money in it, built a product which existence depends solely on bitcoins prosperity.

Now, why would those people SELL ALL suddenly to gain some measly dollars? I can only see one reason, if they suddenly become insane. For such occasions, free market is enough to handle the dump, no special agreements needed.

Yes i do, that's why I wrote two whole paragraphs about it in my previous post!!!!!!
qoute:
"These people are Bitcoin idealists also and take a great responsibility in making Bitcoin work and some of them know each other and talk about how the Bitcoin future will be.

So my post was not about some sinister conspiracy, just that early adopters or people with a lot invested proffesionally have a great motivation not to see a second crash."

This is a speculation thread, not a conspiracy thread, so my point in this "$30 resistance topic" we are discussing, is that there are more factors supporting the price level that are not apparent from the order book a factor any good trader should survey!

And specific to you Piramya, you actually agree with my arguments, though you claim you are not. You are right that it would be crazy to "just sell" but it is a factor a business has to consider, you don't know everybody that well.

So if someone of the old guys suddently want's to buy a lear jet, wouldn't he ask if there were some peers willing to absorb his sell to protect Bitcoin? AKA a benign dark pool?

Holding 100-300k Bitcoins make you a bank, if you wan't it or not. Naturally if someone wants to sell a large amount they ask around if anyone are interested in absorbing it.

Come on guys- This is not a "one big manipulater" argumentation on my behalf, it's simply an attempt to measure the not so obvious value of the backing to the current price.

Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2013, 10:43:41 PM

I just don't think the market is sustainable right now.  The difference between a few weeks ago and now (for me anyways) is that I am completely out of the market now (I was daytrading/swingtrading up until the mini crash/recovery last week).  The fact that we have moved this high this quickly coupled with the unrelenting optimism scares me, and I really believe the price could tank at any given moment...which is why I am staying in USD until I see something in the market that changes my mind.
That's fair.

I think a correction is coming. We've climbed very far very fast, with very little serious testing of our gains, and the only corresponding news seems to have been Reddit's adoption of Bitcoin as a fiat payment processor, and that one Bloomberg Chart of the Day article back in late January. But I have trouble getting a sense of when - there's a part of me that has become convinced we'll break the 2011 highs before the wind changes, but there's another part of me that doubts we'll even break $30.

Guess all I can do is wait and see, and trust my system to ride the waves with some measure of efficiency.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 07:09:32 AM

I just don't think the market is sustainable right now.  The difference between a few weeks ago and now (for me anyways) is that I am completely out of the market now (I was daytrading/swingtrading up until the mini crash/recovery last week).  The fact that we have moved this high this quickly coupled with the unrelenting optimism scares me, and I really believe the price could tank at any given moment...which is why I am staying in USD until I see something in the market that changes my mind.
That's fair.

I think a correction is coming. We've climbed very far very fast, with very little serious testing of our gains, and the only corresponding news seems to have been Reddit's adoption of Bitcoin as a fiat payment processor, and that one Bloomberg Chart of the Day article back in late January. But I have trouble getting a sense of when - there's a part of me that has become convinced we'll break the 2011 highs before the wind changes, but there's another part of me that doubts we'll even break $30.

Guess all I can do is wait and see, and trust my system to ride the waves with some measure of efficiency.

i will be marked a hopeless delusional bull, but i think we'll go to 50 or even 75 before a sizeable correction and serious test of support happens.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 07:20:33 AM

We are waiting for the $32' ers to sell at a loss before we move up. This is also completely consistent with my opinion on my hunch.

shouldn't take long:

Code:
mtgox=# select count(*) as cnt, sum(volume) as btc, sum(volume*price) as usd from trades where price >= 31.0;
-[ RECORD 1 ]----------------
cnt | 1544
btc | 13714.94400000
usd | 429606.3764527000000000

only 13K BTC were ever traded above $31.

EDIT for those interested:

Code:
mtgox=# select count(*) as cnt, sum(volume) as btc, sum(volume*price) as usd from trades where price >= 29.80;
-[ RECORD 1 ]-----------------
cnt | 5090
btc | 55666.28300000
usd | 1702948.0715991000000000

56K BTC have changed hands for a price above $29.80 (on mtGox).

A bit off-topic, could you tell me the name of the shell you are using? Thanks.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 08:19:52 AM

So if someone of the old guys suddently want's to buy a lear jet, wouldn't he ask if there were some peers willing to absorb his sell to protect Bitcoin? AKA a benign dark pool?

Basically you are asking if there are any deals done without going to the market? Then the answer is yes, definitely. If you want to buy 1 million worth of bitcoins you don't transfer that to mtgox - I don't think they would even allow you to - you would talk to trusted people and they find you a seller. There's no conspiracy, it is the way things are in unregulated markets.

i am satoshi
cdb000

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 08:44:04 AM

My heart tells me to hold, maybe even buy - there is no particular theoretical limit to the value of the Bitcoin - it might just keep going up. And up. And up. Euphoric.

By brain tells me that nothing goes up forever. The real world just doesn't do that. The wall at 30 fell, so some more upside is likely before any correction. Optimistic.

My gut tells me that I should unload a few coins just before the next correction and wants my brain to figure out when that correction will come. Excited.

My wife tells me to stop worrying about it and simply hold my coins long term (which is what she is doing with her coins) Sensible.
gimme_bottles

Activity: 316

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 09:32:45 AM

We are waiting for the $32' ers to sell at a loss before we move up. This is also completely consistent with my opinion on my hunch.

shouldn't take long:

Code:
mtgox=# select count(*) as cnt, sum(volume) as btc, sum(volume*price) as usd from trades where price >= 31.0;
cnt | 1544
btc | 13714.94400000

Code:
mtgox=# select count(*) as cnt, sum(volume) as btc, sum(volume*price) as usd from trades where price >= 29.80;
cnt | 5090
btc | 55666.28300000

looks like SQL using a database containing all trades ever executed on mtgox. but i would also be interested in where to get such a database
oakpacific

Activity: 784

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 12:47:13 PM

shouldn't take long:

Code:
cnt | 1544
btc | 13714.94400000

Code:
cnt | 5090
btc | 55666.28300000

looks like SQL using a database containing all trades ever executed on mtgox. but i would also be interested in where to get such a database

Yup, I think the same.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
sounds

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

1221iZanNi5igK7oAA7AWmYjpsyjsRbLLZ

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 03:04:31 PM

If nobody turns up offering a MtGox/BitStamp/BTC-E database, I think we should build one. Would anyone like to contribute?

It wouldn't help with data before we start capturing, but it could be useful in the future...
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 04:14:18 PM

shouldn't take long:

Code:
cnt | 1544
btc | 13714.94400000

Code:
cnt | 5090
btc | 55666.28300000

psql (postgres database client). can give more info when on real computer if you like. phone now

gimme_bottles

Activity: 316

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 04:46:09 PM

psql (postgres database client). can give more info when on real computer if you like. phone now

i would appreciate it a lot  Smiley
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 04:48:29 PM

You might want to add raging chainsaw mania to the list.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 04:50:11 PM

i would appreciate it a lot  Smiley

Due to popular demand and also maybe to lure some beginners into the world of sql:

[BEGINNER WORKSHOP]: bitcoincharts + postgres = cool sql queries

Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 05:34:58 PM

Thats what it looked like today before I reset the Poll. It depicts the situation in mids of February 2013.

Lets see what people think now:

POLL RESET!
Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 09:59:17 PM

Poll reset!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: